LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package to Debut at Geneva Auto Show (March 3rd, 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 11:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if it's just 30lb savings by taking out ML, harnesses, and the speakers, then it must be a very light system to begin with

i am surprised too if the rear wing mechanism is a good 80lb. that's heavy
Old 02-22-11, 03:45 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New photo via Lexus Europe
Attached Thumbnails -175635_10150108263994310_326269989309_6073828_7250878_o.jpg  
Old 02-22-11, 04:21 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Holy geez! That looks amazing.
Old 02-22-11, 04:22 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That thing looks serious! The business indeed, like it more than the regular LFA. This is the cream of the crop. I'm all about the serious side of performance. If I had the funds this would be my LFA. In white thank you.

The headlights still look 'smoked' to me!
Old 02-22-11, 09:25 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2011/02/2...ckage-details/

Note the seats have also been replaced with racing seats, which will also shed weight.

The carbonfiber interior trim replacing the standard metal trim is gorgeous. Wish they'd offered that on the base model - I would have happily shelled out some extra cash for it, but it's a nice touch of exclusivity.

Also, from GTspirit:

http://www.gtspirit.com/2011/02/22/o...gring-edition/

The weight of this car is reduced by approximately 100kg thanks to the extensive use of carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP).
That figure seems a bit high. I think the original quote for the entire monocoque transition from aluminum to CF was 100kg, so I hope it's not just referring back to that.

I'm trying to find the actual press release.

Last edited by gengar; 02-22-11 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 10:06 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

That is awesome. Still, Lexus did not do what was one of the most important thing to do for a car that is this expensive and hardcore - The Nurburgring lap time.

Originally Posted by gengar

Note the seats have also been replaced with racing seats, which will also shed weight.

The carbonfiber interior trim replacing the standard metal trim is gorgeous. Wish they'd offered that on the base model - I would have happily shelled out some extra cash for it, but it's a nice touch of exclusivity.

Also, from GTspirit:

That figure seems a bit high. I think the original quote for the entire monocoque transition from aluminum to CF was 100kg, so I hope it's not just referring back to that.

Old 02-22-11, 11:17 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

The quote from the press release is interesting...
To improve track driving even further, the aerodynamic performance of the LFA with the Nürburgring package will be modified through revisions and additions to several key carbon fibre reinforced plastic components. Combining to offer improved high speed downforce, these modifications include a larger front spoiler, fin-type side spoilers, canard fin, and a fixed rear wing.

Maximum power will be boosted by 10PS to over 570PS. This will ensure that the LFA maintains its acceleration time of 0-100km/h in just 3.7 seconds and a 325km/h maximum speed, despite the additional drag created by increased downforce
. The gear shift time will be 0.15 seconds.

In terms of handling modifications, the Nürburgring package LFA will include a sports tuned suspension, a vehicle height reduction of 10mm, exclusive mesh-type wheels and dedicated, high-grip tyres.
Basically, the 10 hp increase was to compensate for the increased downforce drag. Again, I guess it emphasizes the point that the LFA was never meant to be a 0-60 or top speed king, but its main focus is handling. The regular LFA arguably is one of the best handling cars already and its hard to imagine that this "Nurburgring Edition" will be even better.
Old 02-22-11, 11:44 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

From some of the reviewers or pilots of the LFA at a recent meet, they said the shift times were faster than what Lexus lead off. Some were saying it was lightning fast but that the shifts weren't even set on the fastest time setting. There are 7- yes SEVEN different settings for shift speeds. According to a couple members on Supraforums the shift speeds weren't set at the fastest, more like in the middle. I have heard complaints about the transmission, but I wonder if the complaints were from people who didn't realize they could select different speeds for the shifting. I remember watching the Autocar video, and all the guy did was set the car in 'sport' mode. With the Nurburgring edition being even faster in shift speed, I'm betting that's another advantage besides the 10 extra horsepower. But man, that thing looks good. Can't wait to see live shots in a week!
Old 02-23-11, 12:39 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Tires used on the car seem to be Bridgestone RE070 from the pictures on Lexus enthusiast-

http://lexusenthusiast.com/images/ga...T_2011_GMS.jpg

not going to post it here, it's EXTRA large.
Old 02-23-11, 04:14 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The PR appears to still be on the media-only portion of the Lexus Europe site. Guess we'll have to wait for a public release to cull all the details ourselves.

Now that we know the seats are also changed in addition to removal of the audio system and spoiler mechanism, it seems more likely we'll see something at least closer to a 100lb decrease. This makes me a lot more happy than the earlier statements from Lexus that weight savings would only be "nominal".

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Basically, the 10 hp increase was to compensate for the increased downforce drag. Again, I guess it emphasizes the point that the LFA was never meant to be a 0-60 or top speed king, but its main focus is handling. The regular LFA arguably is one of the best handling cars already and its hard to imagine that this "Nurburgring Edition" will be even better.
Definitely so, especially with all the documentation I was shown during the LFA Factory Works where cornering dynamics was given absolute top priority in development. I hope some of the car mags will track test the Nürburgring Edition just so we can hear the commentary - the praise for the cornering dynamics of the standard model was already quite high.
Old 02-23-11, 05:14 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Also, from GTspirit:

That probably might be the case unfortunately

Now that we know the seats are also changed in addition to removal of the audio system and spoiler mechanism, it seems more likely we'll see something at least closer to a 100lb decrease. This makes me a lot more happy than the earlier statements from Lexus that weight savings would only be "nominal".
I think 100lbs would be awesome. However, it remains to be seen whether whatever weight reduction is on the fully loaded 34xxlb curb weight or the lightest available configuration of 3263lbs.

I wonder if those seats will be offered in the US Spec ring edition? I seem to recall reading that they would not be for whatever safety reason.....
Old 02-23-11, 07:16 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Default ML/nav and spoiler weight

I've ask my contact to find out the exact weights for these two items.
Old 02-23-11, 07:35 AM
LexFather

I really like this. Nice.
Old 02-23-11, 08:32 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus desperately needs to officially reveal the Nurburgring lap time (or confirm the rumored 7:18 with the factory driver driving).
Old 02-23-11, 10:11 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Lexus desperately needs to officially reveal the Nurburgring lap time (or confirm the rumored 7:18 with the factory driver driving).
+100000000000

If the car is all about handling, Lexus, stop telling us those boring straightline numbers and give us the stats that really matter!! It's not like you don't have them!

It's sad to see that with all the handling and weight saving upgrades the Nurburgring Edition receives the only performance stat that Lexus can show to the world is that it can still accelerate from 0 to 60 in 3.7 secs... as fast as the regular LFA!! Woo hoo!!

Last edited by Mister Two; 02-23-11 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package to Debut at Geneva Auto Show (March 3rd, 2011)