LFA Model (2012)

[Scans] AutoZeitung: Lexus LFA vs Mercedes SLS AMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 06:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default [Scans] AutoZeitung: Lexus LFA vs Mercedes SLS AMG

As you guys remember, this was the comparison AutoZeitung did last year.

Here are the scans for the article (thanks to Germancarforums.com)

Footnotes (translated):

This early LFA prototype did not have launch control system so it was very difficult for them to get the best launch. SLS AMG using launch control was very consistent every single time.

Lexus LFA:

0 - 60 mph: 3.9 secs (without launch control system)
0 - 125 mph: 11.4 secs
Braking (cold/hot): 33.5 m/32.3 m
Contidrom long lap time (3800 m): 1:35,66 min

SLS AMG:

0 - 60 mph: 3.8 secs (using launch control system)
0 - 125 mph: 11.4 secs
Braking (cold/hot): 33.4 m/33.4 m
Contidrom long lap time (3800 m): 1:37,50 min

'Am Bremspunkt vor der Spitzkehre erreicht das Duett Geschwindigkeiten von 204 bis 208 km/h.
English: 'At the braking point before the hairpin, the duet reached speeds of 204-208 km / h.

Hier sind stabile Bremsen gefragt, während es im Highspeed Sektor auf eine gute Balance ankommt.
English: Here stable brakes are required, while in the high-speed sector to a good balance matters.

Im Dynamik Sektor zählen Agilität und spontane Reaktionen.
English: In the dynamic sector include agility and spontaneous reactions. "

Die Zwischenergebnisse wurden in diesen drei Sektoren gemessen:
English: The interim results were measured in these three sectors:

Conclusion:

'Der LFA dominiert ihn (Mercedes SLS AMG) in der Art eines präzisen Formel-Renners'.

English: 'The LFA, it dominates (AMG Mercedes SLS) in the way of a precise formula-racer'

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-25-11 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 07:17 PM
movin_up
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice comparison. I'm surprised the AMG did that well against the LFA. The SLS is no slouch, but it's not exactly a track-bred car.

As much as I love the LFA though, I think I would have to go with the SLS. The Lexus is sure to get attention rolling down the street, but I think the Mercedes has a style that will still be relevant 20 years from now. It's a gentleman's car.

Then there would be plenty of times that I wish I had the head turning race car looks of the LFA also. I'll save myself the frustration and stick with my IS.
Old 01-25-11, 07:34 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Both cars in a straight line are very close.

However, as the conclusion says, LFA around the race track and in braking sector dominated the SLS AMG (where it should have). 2 seconds on a 3800 meters is a very wide margin.

Then there is the sound of the LFA V10 and 9500 rpm.

Originally Posted by movin_up
Nice comparison. I'm surprised the AMG did that well against the LFA. The SLS is no slouch, but it's not exactly a track-bred car.
Old 01-25-11, 07:45 PM
movin_up
Driver

Very true. You can't deny that they succeeded in their focus of making a true super car. It gets around a track VERY well.

I just have an unhealthy attachment to the SLS and it's heritage. I fell in love with the 300SL Gullwing when I was probably 7 or 8 years old.

I do need to experience the sound of that V10 in person though. I recently went for a ride in a friend's Ferrari 458 and it is absolutely the most amazing sounding street car I've been around, but from the videos I've seen I think the Lexus has it beat.
Old 01-25-11, 08:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yep. LFA beat the 458 Italia, LP570-4, SLS, '12 GTR etc. recently in the "Evo UK: best engine of the year".

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6025971-post51.html

Very true. You can't deny that they succeeded in their focus of making a true super car. It gets around a track VERY well.

I just have an unhealthy attachment to the SLS and it's heritage. I fell in love with the 300SL Gullwing when I was probably 7 or 8 years old.

I do need to experience the sound of that V10 in person though. I recently went for a ride in a friend's Ferrari 458 and it is absolutely the most amazing sounding street car I've been around, but from the videos I've seen I think the Lexus has it beat.
Old 01-25-11, 11:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, the LFA SMOKED the SLS in the corners and under braking. SLS had a slight advantage in straight-line speed it seems, but that's it.

As much as I love the LFA though, I think I would have to go with the SLS. The Lexus is sure to get attention rolling down the street, but I think the Mercedes has a style that will still be relevant 20 years from now. It's a gentleman's car.

Then there would be plenty of times that I wish I had the head turning race car looks of the LFA also. I'll save myself the frustration and stick with my IS.
Personally, I think the SLS looks terribly plain for a "supercar". The McLaren Benz SLR looks better IMO. To me, a supercar needs to look well, super and the SLS just doesn't do it for me. It looks like a regular sports car that would easily blend in with other sports cars.
Old 01-25-11, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

great to see another solid performance by the lfa!
Old 01-26-11, 12:26 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder how the LFA would have done with some Pirelli P-Zero corsas, or some Michellin Pilot Super Sports. S001's are nice tires, but for the track, those other's are the serious contenders. I wonder what Bridgestone tires are the track tires, and if the Nurburgring edition will have those...
Old 01-26-11, 04:05 AM
movin_up
Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Personally, I think the SLS looks terribly plain for a "supercar". The McLaren Benz SLR looks better IMO. To me, a supercar needs to look well, super and the SLS just doesn't do it for me. It looks like a regular sports car that would easily blend in with other sports cars.
Again, very true. Seeing the SLS in person you know it's something special, but you still don't get the idea that it's supposed to be a super car. No confusion when you see the LFA.
Old 01-26-11, 07:48 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

The dry performance only could have been MUCH better. Corsa and Pilot Sport Cup tires are meant to be track racing super-slick tires. Even straight line grip would have been a lot better and a car like LFA really should have those.

However, Lexus decided to go with the all-weather traction approach and settled for less dry traction, but in order to gain wet traction with the Potenza S001 tires.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Wonder how the LFA would have done with some Pirelli P-Zero corsas, or some Michellin Pilot Super Sports. S001's are nice tires, but for the track, those other's are the serious contenders. I wonder what Bridgestone tires are the track tires, and if the Nurburgring edition will have those...
Old 01-26-11, 12:32 PM
LexFather

I think this is Lexus whooping Mercedes and here is why. Previously all AMG cars were first Mercedes models they got and enhanced.

The SLS is the first AMG product designed by and for AMG. So the best from Lexus is beating the best from AMG.

What we have in essence it the fabric of the universe tearning

LFA>SLS (Mercedes)
LFA>R8 V-10 (Audi)
LFA>does not exist (BMW)

That is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

I love it in red!!!
Old 01-26-11, 02:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think this is Lexus whooping Mercedes and here is why. Previously all AMG cars were first Mercedes models they got and enhanced.

The SLS is the first AMG product designed by and for AMG. So the best from Lexus is beating the best from AMG.

What we have in essence it the fabric of the universe tearning

LFA>SLS (Mercedes)
LFA>R8 V-10 (Audi)
LFA>does not exist (BMW)

That is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

I love it in red!!!
that's a good way to look at it!
Old 02-04-11, 04:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I absolutely LOVE the original 300SL gullwing, but find the SLS a disappointment in style, it just looks very unappealing to me ......
Old 02-04-11, 05:17 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder if there are any other times on this specified version of Contidrom. I know it's the long track, the 3800m (3.8km) version. I was doing some looking last night and can't find any other cars that did laps on this version. I shall look more.