LFA Model (2012)

EXCLUSIVE: The first production LFAs arrive in the USA!!! PART 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 08:30 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reduced the revs of the engine, I read that unlimited it would go to 13,000rpm! I'm sure it would make some crazy power up there. But being a Lexus, they want longevity, that's nuts thinking about it. 9500rpm is the REDUCED redline for engine life! There's not a doubt the LFA engine could make more power. It is supposed to meet something like euro-5 emissions? Low smog vehicle, try that ferrari/lamborghini! I like the silver, but the gunmetal wheels would be much better!
Old 01-19-11, 09:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
The reduced the revs of the engine, I read that unlimited it would go to 13,000rpm! I'm sure it would make some crazy power up there. But being a Lexus, they want longevity, that's nuts thinking about it. 9500rpm is the REDUCED redline for engine life! There's not a doubt the LFA engine could make more power. It is supposed to meet something like euro-5 emissions? Low smog vehicle, try that ferrari/lamborghini! I like the silver, but the gunmetal wheels would be much better!
I'm not so sure about 13K RPM. During R&D, they did durability testing with the engine by revving it to around 11-12K RPM. Never heard a thing about them going up to 13K RPM.
Old 01-19-11, 11:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

One thing I am not digging are those 4 x 4 wheel gaps in the LFA. The JDM LFAs look perfect with the wheels sitting flush with the fenders.

I really hope they still have stoppers for shipping that need to be taken out and will drop the ride height.

Those wheel gaps look atrocious.
Old 01-20-11, 01:18 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'm not so sure about 13K RPM. During R&D, they did durability testing with the engine by revving it to around 11-12K RPM. Never heard a thing about them going up to 13K RPM.
I read that a while ago. Way before the LFA even hit production, or was decided to. I'm sure it's logical. You say 11-12k rpm, 13k rpm was only said to be where it COULD run to. It is based off an F1 engine in some degree, and you see where they rev.
Old 01-20-11, 05:33 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Thanks for the joyous arrivals.

Quick thoughts.

The silver car side view confirms the key hole in the doors (I had been told this would be the case).

No plastic wrap on the crated cars, unlike local Japan deliveries.

The driver was wearing gloves. Gotta love the respoect given to someone else's dream toy. Half a dozen folks to just see if things are ok out of the box. I think the guy outside with the camera is Mr. Williamson, the national head of training.

I think all three have red calipers (a trend perhaps?) Two for sure have the dreaded shark fin from configuration 3 (silver and white ones). Does the black car also have the shark fin.

No headlight washers that I could see. Is this true?

Did any of the cars have winglets?

The silver car has red seats. Any more details about the interior configurations?
All your questions are going to be answered in Part 2.
Old 01-20-11, 05:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by clexusking
Thank you for the great pics!

Any idea where #001 will end up??

We are anticipating 2 hitting the US and heading to Rockville, MD soon....
No problem. No one really knows where #001 will go but my educated guess says definitely not USA but most likely Japan.
Old 01-20-11, 05:49 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
One thing I am not digging are those 4 x 4 wheel gaps in the LFA. The JDM LFAs look perfect with the wheels sitting flush with the fenders.

I really hope they still have stoppers for shipping that need to be taken out and will drop the ride height.

Those wheel gaps look atrocious.
JDM LFA wheel gap and wheels sitting flush with the fenders? I believe you have fitment and wheel gap confused? When wheels are "sitting flush" with the fender, it means the wheel/tire is pushed out as far as possible being lined up with the edge of the fender. Meaning the wheels are not sunk in.

All of the global LFAs sit on the same suspension specs. Not sure what you are seeing but my pics show more of the wheel house/fender liner because I used a flash to help with lighting inside the building.
Old 01-20-11, 05:51 AM
clexusking
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait for part II.......Can't go to work, don't want to miss it!
Old 01-20-11, 06:08 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for the preview of part 2 Flipside.

Now for a biz dev question.

We know product placement is part of the the big game.

Who will Lexus put behind the wheel?

I predict David Beckham will be driving an LFA compliments of Lexus.

Why? He has super high name recognition, is an international celebrity footballer who lives the globetrotter, high fashion lifestyle.

I am sure he goes to the slickest places in and around LA so Lexus will be sure to have the LFA photographed and in videos connected to high rolling.
Old 01-20-11, 07:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, what I was trying to imply was in the JDM LFA's due to the wheel gap or the lack thereof, the wheels give the "illusion" of sitting flush with the fender line. You are correct, it should not affect how much the wheels stick outwards since they must be the same for every LFA in the world.

I still strongly believe the LFA in the US (and most likely Canada) have a bigger front wheel gap than Japanese model LFA (and possibly Europeans).

Originally Posted by flipside909
JDM LFA wheel gap and wheels sitting flush with the fenders? I believe you have fitment and wheel gap confused? When wheels are "sitting flush" with the fender, it means the wheel/tire is pushed out as far as possible being lined up with the edge of the fender. Meaning the wheels are not sunk in.

All of the global LFAs sit on the same suspension specs. Not sure what you are seeing but my pics show more of the wheel house/fender liner because I used a flash to help with lighting inside the building.
Old 01-20-11, 07:37 AM
SOLEdier
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that silver 1 is beautiful
Old 01-20-11, 07:39 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

25 - 30 whp gain is very impressive.

In the case of Lexus LFA, 25 - 30 whp would mean 55 - 60 hp at the crank, which will easily put it over 600 HP. I think it will gain much more than that with the straight pipes.

That is of course, assuming stock production LFA is not underrated. I am really waiting and looking forward to seeing a production LFA dyno and how much it is putting down to the wheels.
I have resources to make this ALL happen....

All I need is the keys to dyno a production unit.

Getting someone interested is what will be most challenging.

Joe Z
Old 01-20-11, 07:49 AM
LexFather

Awesome...........
Old 01-20-11, 07:50 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet. I think Gengar might be interested in finding out how much does his LFA dyno to the wheels.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I have resources to make this ALL happen....

All I need is the keys to dyno a production unit.

Getting someone interested is what will be most challenging.

Joe Z
Old 01-20-11, 08:15 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I still strongly believe the LFA in the US (and most likely Canada) have a bigger front wheel gap than Japanese model LFA (and possibly Europeans).
It doesnt.

Quick Reply: EXCLUSIVE: The first production LFAs arrive in the USA!!! PART 1