LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Driver Development Center program at Infineon (official)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 08:02 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Thanks. Can't wait to read your detailed observation and review of the event.

If you don't mind me asking, you got to use launch control system?? how did real world LFA 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph, 0 - 140 mph and 1/4 mile numbers look like??

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
For someone who has never been to a race track before, this event was a blast today. While I don't have any reference/bench mark for this type of events, I have to say Lexus did a fantastic job in organizing it.
Summary of the event:
- There are 3 LFAs, a black on black/red (Production unit, brand new with 320 miles on the clock), yellow (did not arrive until late morning), and pearl gray.
- Being the first day, we had only 4 students, and we were out numbered by our ultra cool driving instructors.
- We get to take turn driving the black and the gray cars, just to see the differences. The production unit reponses are sharper in comparison to the prototype with over 13K miles on it.
- Lexus has professional video production crew to make in car video of our runs. Can't wait to see the results.
- As advertised, we did the acceleration/braking (0-140-0 mph), slalom and cornering (in IS-Fs). We did not do the skidpad, not sure if it was intentional...
- Then we run laps around the tracks. This was the best part once I got the hang of things.

I will post more observations, thoughts, and info that I received while at the event. All I can say is that I have no regret whatsoever with my purchase after learning to track the car.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-08-11 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-08-11, 08:28 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Thanks. Can't wait to read your detailed observation and review of the event.

If you don't mind me asking, you got to use launch control system?? how did real world LFA 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph, 0 - 140 mph and 1/4 mile numbers look like??
No we did not use LC for this exercise, since we were doing repeated runs in short amount of time, the LC would have locked out after one run for a certain period. Also as side point, I was told each LFA is allowed 255 runs with LC, and then the entire thing need to be looked at by Lexus.
I don't have the numbers for these runs yet. They are part of the video production that will be sent out later. I can say that the drag strip there was not the greatest since we got wheelspins in 2nd and 3rd gears with throtle smashed in, but we all managed to hit 140 and back down to 0 within that section of the track.
Old 03-08-11, 08:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the details. I would look forward to watching the videos and reading your reviews.

No we did not use LC for this exercise, since we were doing repeated runs in short amount of time, the LC would have locked out after one run for a certain period. Also as side point, I was told each LFA is allowed 255 runs with LC, and then the entire thing need to be looked at by Lexus.
I don't have the numbers for these runs yet. They are part of the video production that will be sent out later. I can say that the drag strip there was not the greatest since we got wheelspins in 2nd and 3rd gears with throtle smashed in, but we all managed to hit 140 and back down to 0 within that section of the track.
Old 03-08-11, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahah we should forget about the LC already, unless someone is bringing the car to drag strip

awesome to hear it's a great event! i am surprised they didn't do skidpad. how much time did you spend on the track (drive time)?

only 4 students huh? i guess the classes didn't get fully filled up. i saw last friday that lexus was still looking for people to join

were you allow to take any pics?
Old 03-09-11, 01:31 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure it'll keep up in the acceleration department regardless. The handling is the main thing here. Acceleration at speed as well. I'm wondering how the braking distances were. I remember that MT got 60mph-0 in 94ft. That's serious! Can't wait to hear more.
Old 03-09-11, 03:14 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

All I can say is that I have no regret whatsoever with my purchase after learning to track the car.
I am happy you are satisfied with the purchase! Is the black car a customer car? What tires were the cars running around in?
Old 03-09-11, 04:40 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
hahah we should forget about the LC already, unless someone is bringing the car to drag strip

awesome to hear it's a great event! i am surprised they didn't do skidpad. how much time did you spend on the track (drive time)?

only 4 students huh? i guess the classes didn't get fully filled up. i saw last friday that lexus was still looking for people to join

were you allow to take any pics?
Only the first day was having 4 students. There are 35 more to come in the next few days.
I did not take any pics at all since I don't have a decent camera. However, the pro video crew also took pictures. We were allowed to sit in all the cars with keys in them to explore the features. Most of my break time was spent just to simply admire the workmanship and observe differences btw the prototype to production.
We each did at least a dozen laps (lost count after a while).

Last edited by 07grIS350; 03-09-11 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 04:46 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TF109B
I'm sure it'll keep up in the acceleration department regardless. The handling is the main thing here. Acceleration at speed as well. I'm wondering how the braking distances were. I remember that MT got 60mph-0 in 94ft. That's serious! Can't wait to hear more.
Again no numbers to verify the acceleration and braking performance, but I can say it was quite easy to take it to 140 MPH and back down to 0.
Old 03-09-11, 05:10 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
I am happy you are satisfied with the purchase! Is the black car a customer car? What tires were the cars running around in?
I believe the black car is going to be part of the demo fleet, since the gray one is going back to Japan for wear and tear study.
I am gaining tremendous respect for the way Lexus put this car together, and what it can do on the race track laps after laps.
I believe our driving instructors are also new to the LFAs, and they all gave glowing praises. They kept on pointing out the LFA built features that are just like those on their professional race cars. The best part was that they all took turn to do "practice laps" everytime we took break.
The tires were standard issue for the regular LFAs.
Old 03-09-11, 06:28 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Hi 07,

I am glad you had such a great experience.

I was looking at the weather yesterday to see what I would have next Monday and you had an ideal day. I am looking at a chance of showers.

Now for the question barrage.

What can you say about the other folks who participated?

Do you recall what number the black car is? Kind of strange that they have a production car for this unless it is going to a celeb.

Was there Lexus top brass there to check in with you?

Could you break out details of the day some more? You mentioned the estimate of seat time in laps. Could you also say how many laps in the LFA with the pro driving, how many drag runs and how the ISF time was done? Also, was the ISF the improved 11 model?

In terms of what you learned for the pro about getting a lot of the car, are there some highlights on that?

Did you get to drive slowlyat all or try backing up?

When playing with the parked cars, did you check out the idrive nav?

Thanks
Old 03-09-11, 06:49 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

07, those are definitely the type of reviews I love to hear about. Professional drivers singing praises shouldn't be taken lightly and any BS, magazines put out, is completely put aside. Here's a tidbit I've read from a pro-driver, Leh Keen, that I found interesting.

I know Nurburgring is a big deal here on the forums so think about this..Nissan designed the GTR to do A fast lap around the ring.. which it did...Toyota designed the LF-A to RACE around the ring... which they have been doing for years..there is a big difference there..

the LF-A could turn similar lap times for hours at 10/10ths... where the GTR would be struggling after 30min...
Old 03-09-11, 10:22 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Good find. That quote is signature worthy.

I know that pro racing guy quite well and seen his videos. He owns an R34 GTR. I think his screen name goes by 'Kingleh'.

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
07, those are definitely the type of reviews I love to hear about. Professional drivers singing praises shouldn't be taken lightly and any BS, magazines put out, is completely put aside. Here's a tidbit I've read from a pro-driver, Leh Keen, that I found interesting.
Old 03-09-11, 01:09 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Hi 07,

I am glad you had such a great experience.

I was looking at the weather yesterday to see what I would have next Monday and you had an ideal day. I am looking at a chance of showers.

Now for the question barrage.

What can you say about the other folks who participated?
One was no less than the LFA National Sales Manager from Lexus. The other two were a Lexus dealer owner who bought an LFA for himself, and he brought his technical manager along for more exposure to the car.
The dealer owner is an experienced drag racer, and I am not sure if he has any exotic car owning experience, but he did mention that his neighbors have many exotics.
Do you recall what number the black car is? Kind of strange that they have a production car for this unless it is going to a celeb.
No I did not see the badge number in this car, it was either I did not look hard enough or the camera mount fixture was blocking it.

Was there Lexus top brass there to check in with you?
Only the National LFA Sales Manager, and he was taking the course as well.

Could you break out details of the day some more? You mentioned the estimate of seat time in laps. Could you also say how many laps in the LFA with the pro driving, how many drag runs and how the ISF time was done? Also, was the ISF the improved 11 model?
It basically went as described on the invitation.
We met for breakfast, and a short info session about the LFA. Then we went down to the garage to see and play with cars for bit. That was followed with an intro to the track and driving theories.
Then we went out to do the acceleration/braking excercise in the LFA; the instructor took two runs and we each did 3-4 passes. If the weather were bad they might have to do something different here because the traction on this portion of the track is not the greatest.
Then we went into the IS-Fs for slalom excercise with about 10-15 runs through the cones. I don't know whether these are 2011 models, but they looked brand new. This was followed with cornering excercise, also in IS-Fs.
Just before lunch we took to the track, we drove the LFAs alone, following the instructors in IS-Fs. They talked us around the track via radio pointing out mistakes.
After lunch, we did one more lead follow session on track plus discussions about what we did do right or wrong.
Then the instructor jumped into the passenger seat and we drove around the track. Here we had to map out our line without the lead car as a reference, and with just verbal reminders from the passenger. I actually like this session the most because the instructor not only pointed out the mistake, but he also showed me how to correct them on the spot. For me these instructions stuck better in my brain while still in the car.

In terms of what you learned for the pro about getting a lot of the car, are there some highlights on that?

Did you get to drive slowlyat all or try backing up?

When playing with the parked cars, did you check out the idrive nav?

Thanks
The pro loved the whole package, with the most praises going to the brakes, the gearbox/shifting, and the smooth power delivery with balanced handling. They also kept on saying that the LFA has the best sounding engine period. When I asked for some reference comparison to other supercar such as the GT-R and the comments were
- Very very fast car
- Too much body movements in corners
- High seating position (lowered pickup truck reference was mentioned), and therefore high center of gravity.
- Needs better brakes, shock absorbers/springs etc... for track work
- Sound is not nearly as good (giant vacuum machine reference was mentioned)
- Too much technology assisting the drivers and too heavy.

I did not drive in reverse, but with the standard rearview camera, I think that would be an easy task. Yes we had to drive slowly in short distance to get from the garage to the track and back after each session. It drove just as easy as my IS350. The steering is effortless with plenty of feed back at low speed.
I did not play with the Nav but I did try the stereo. Let just say it's pale in comparison to the music put out by the V10. During the half an hour or so of free time after lunch, I was just simply staring at the 3 cars to take them all in. One would probably need an additional 1-2 hours to explore all the features.
The yellow car actually looked good in person

Last edited by 07grIS350; 03-09-11 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sounds like the afternoon part with instructor passenger lap times were the best part of the whole day. awesome!
Old 03-09-11, 01:26 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks 07, that was extremely helpful.

I had no idea that we would drive solo in the LFA with big brother on the radio.

Did you have a tendancy brake early? The times I was in the car, it was surprising how close got to the corners the pros before getting off the gas and onto the brakes with the LFA.

It is nice to see that the low speed manners of the car were tuned to make it easy to live with.

The 011 ISF have a speedo similar to the LFA if that helps.

Just after I guessed Gengar would get the first production car with Alcantara seats you mentioned that the black production car has them. Another of my predictions in the dumper.

I am continuing to be surprised about how many dealers are getting the cars. The red one in Costa Rica, the black one in the Netherlands and the dealer you just mentioned. This makes the comment the GM at my dealership made about roughly 50 of the US cars going to dealers sound more credible.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Driver Development Center program at Infineon (official)