LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Driver Development Center program at Infineon (official)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 09:32 AM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the other cars coming out now, I don't think there will be any more stand-alone press about the LFA. It has run its course. Now it will all be about the LP700 followed by the McLaren and so on. The LFA will probably show up in comparative articles- the usual battles, etc., but that will be about it. Besides, what hasn't been written yet?
Old 03-11-11, 10:33 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ "Everybody" wants to see tests /write ups /comparisons on a "true production LFA" verses everything already out there on the prototypes we have driven..

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Some more info:
- Paul mentioned the total US allocation is 173.
- The gray prototype is going back to Japan at end of month for wear and tear study after more than 13K track miles. It was mentioned that this unit costed around $2.5 mil being the prototype with a lot of custom work done on it.
- Lexus USA is a bit nervous in loaning their LFAs to magazines to do comparison tests, fearing if crashed they would have nothing left to do marketing events.
- I was told that 39 people registered for the driver development class, with 25 being actual owners/buyers. A number of these also bring families and friends.
- I would love to take my car to the track if I can get reasonable insurance coverage when doing so. My instructor has said that I should be able to get coverage if the events are about driver development/safe driving related.
- I fully agree with Gengar that driving the car has validated so many things about the car and the buying decision

Great tid bits of info.. Thank you!!

Interesting on the allocation of USA units.. WE have been told numerous times the number is 171... It's been documentated & quoted several times..

Not sure how now we are getting 173 units now

Guess will know one day once the FINAL confirms are out..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-11-11 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-11-11, 11:04 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

- The gray prototype is going back to Japan at end of month for wear and tear study after more than 13K track miles. It was mentioned that this unit costed around $2.5 mil being the prototype with a lot of custom work done on it.
Ya, I got clarification on the gray/yellow issue and heard the same thing. The Pearl Yellow one will also probably go back in the summer. Lexus USA is indeed paying to borrow both the gray/yellow LFAs, yikes.

- I would love to take my car to the track if I can get reasonable insurance coverage when doing so. My instructor has said that I should be able to get coverage if the events are about driver development/safe driving related.
Actually, basic insurance might include driver education or it might be available for a small marginal increase on the premium. For example, my quote from State Farm includes driver education track events, even though initially I didn't ask for a quote including it. A friend of mine who has a GT3 RS mentioned that his premium increase for driver education events was very small, although I don't remember who he uses. Of course, you need to ask and make sure. My Geico quote (ridiculously low, btw, makes me wonder if the agent I e-mailed with is on drugs - but I'm not going to go with them either way) specifically excludes anything on the track.

General track day insurance is more expensive and often involves a high deductible. A bunch of people I know use WSIB. Of course pretty much no one insures anything involving an actual race or timing, but I don't think either of us will be doing that.

Certainly I will be looking into insurance for track days; we can even start a thread on it once we start getting more information. This is one reason I would like to start getting more LFA owners on forums - not just for the community, but for the knowledge database.
Old 03-11-11, 12:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ "Everybody" wants to see tests /write ups /comparisons on a "true production LFA" verses everything already out there on the prototypes we have driven..

Great tid bits of info.. Thank you!!

Intersting on the allocation of USA units.. WE have been told numerous times the number is 171... It's been documentated & quoted several times..

Not sure how now we are getting 173 units now

Guess will know one day once the FINAL confirms are out..

Joe Z
if that's the case then lexus shouldn't push out the prototype for testing so early, should just wait for production. taking out a production unit now (and in the future) imho won't boost that much interest to magazines and public outside of lexus enthusiast circle

yeah, with 173 units, the pruett wine has to make another 2 bottles and redo all the labels
Old 03-11-11, 12:56 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ This is true....

Hopefully ALL remains well with LFA's in process at the Motomachi Plant in Toyota City...

I pulled some data and the plant is about 20 miles away from the nearest body of water.
&
It's approx 380 miles south of the 8.9 quake zone

Joe Z
Old 03-11-11, 01:20 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they go and make some viral ads and show the LFA is capable of some amazing times, it'll be fine for most I think. CAR magazine didn't even get to test the LFA against the 458 GT3RS GT2RS and all those guys last time around, I'm sure they'd love to have it back. Maybe an owner will step forward and let Chris Harris 'have a go' with their LFA. Ferrari owners didn't usually have a problem with it. Hell, maybe they'll send a Nurburgring edition the way of some magazines or put out some videos of their driver training courses at the Nurb itself? Ya never know.
Old 03-11-11, 01:31 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by rominl
if that's the case then lexus shouldn't push out the prototype for testing so early, should just wait for production. taking out a production unit now (and in the future) imho won't boost that much interest to magazines and public outside of lexus enthusiast circle
As I mentioned before in this thread, Top Gear USA has been requesting an LFA for a future segment. Interest is definitely still out there in the media.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Hopefully ALL remains well with LFA's in process at the Motomachi Plant in Toyota City...

I pulled some data and the plant is about 20 miles away from the nearest body of water.
&
It's approx 380 miles south of the 8.9 quake zone
There shouldn't be much if any damage to the actual production facilities. Delays will be caused by production and transportation stoppages due to power loss, infrastructure issues, etc.

Certainly my concerns are with the people in the heavy-hit regions. I saw the live NHK feed yesterday as the tsunami hit Sendai, very tragic.

Originally Posted by TF109B
If they go and make some viral ads...
Keep your eyes open, you may like what you see. Even if there's no LFA II, junior LFA, or even any other new performance cars other than the FT-86 and GS-F on the map, Lexus is going to keep the marketing machine going on this one. They're certainly committed to that, just as they are committed to service/support and community building for LFA owners.

Last edited by gengar; 03-11-11 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-11-11, 01:49 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I am sure other publications like CarAndDriver and RoadAndTrack are interested in seeing how the production model LFA performs. It also has many other things the prototypes did not have such as, production spec tires, launch control system etc.

Given how IS-F unfair has been handicapped in European tests (for example, acceleration despite even a monkey knowing it to be very similar to M3, is always a lot slower in European test). I am certainly more interested in reading American reviews than European reviews especially comparative one's.

Originally Posted by gengar
As I mentioned before in this thread, Top Gear USA has been requesting for an LFA for a future segment. Interest is definitely still out there in the media.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-11-11 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-11-11, 03:11 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

The europeans know how to work their own machinery but come a japanese or american car, they seem clueless how to get good times, launches, etc. They just have a certain snobbery to them in their publications, which is why i really don't care for most of them. Autocar, CAR, sometimes EVO, automobile etc.

I was pretty sure that Lexus was going to 'milk' the LFA exposure for the brand image. I'd be surprised if they don't go ahead and take the LFA racing. Why not? Nurburgring edition is a good start, take out most the luxury features, give it some slicks add a cage and fire equipment and it should be almost there! Porsche does it with the GT3RS.
Old 03-11-11, 07:12 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Since on the topic of auto publications, what ever happened to that Japanese show Best Motoring ( the show where they would have the track races)? I used to see a bunch of those episodes on Youtube.
Old 03-11-11, 08:15 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I love those videos, where they do the "Super 3 lap battle" at tracks like Tsukuba and Twin Ring Motegi. I do wonder if there is any new ones.
Old 03-11-11, 09:38 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Saw the LFA for the first time in real life here at the Calgary International Auto Show.

All I can say is wow!!! Pictures mostly don't do justice at all to the car. I don't know why it comes out boxy in pictures since in real life it is very round and also very small. The back is very very curvy and not flat at all with the exhaust triangle is very 3 dimensional and protrudes out in the back (not ever shows in the photos). People were just gushing over the exhaust triangle. Three dudes beside me looking at the exhaust "that is just f'ing sick!!!". LOL

Lots of nice lines and curves and very aggressive front fascia.

Stay tuned! I will be putting up pictures tonight that I took.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-11-11 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 04:23 PM
gengar

Teaser vid from the early morning straight line acceleration runs. The other group went first, so we were in IS F chase cars watching the other pairs going. As I mentioned for some reason we only used the runoff from the drag strip (so basically the straightaway on the course coming out of turn 6 until going into 7a). Still were getting up over 120 though before braking.

Give youtube some time to process HD (this one is 720p). I'll probably get the hot lap vid in later this evening or tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSLALrOHqCE&hd=1

Also, I think someone asked about telemetry data - I never wound up hooking up my PerformanceBox because the yellow and black cars had telemetry hooked up already. The Lexus reps told us full videos including the telemetry will be sent to us on DVD at some later date.

Last edited by gengar; 03-12-11 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 08:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, gengar. Looking forward to seeing the other videos including satellite telemetry videos.

Great video. I noticed taking off the yellow had a little traction issues while the black one had full traction all the time. I think it could be due to both cars taking off from different points on the track.

So I assume these take offs were completely from idle?? Meaning, mash the pedal from idle??

In the wake of the catastrophic disaster in Japan, I am wondering how will it be affect Lexus LFA's production?? Any ideas??

Originally Posted by gengar
Teaser vid from the early morning straight line acceleration runs. The other group went first, so we were in IS F chase cars watching the other pairs going. As I mentioned for some reason we only used the runoff from the drag strip (so basically the straightaway on the course coming out of turn 6 until going into 7a). Still were getting up over 120 though before braking.

Give youtube some time to process HD (this one is 720p). I'll probably get the hot lap vid in later this evening or tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSLALrOHqCE&hd=1

Also, I think someone asked about telemetry data - I never wound up hooking up my PerformanceBox because the yellow and black cars had telemetry hooked up already. The Lexus reps told us full videos including the telemetry will be sent to us on DVD at some later date.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-12-11 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-12-11, 08:14 PM
gengar

Hot lap. Available in 1080p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=titDmb-q13g&hd=1

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Driver Development Center program at Infineon (official)