LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Driver Development Center program at Infineon (official)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 01:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

"07grIS350" - Sounds like you had a blast... Thanks for sharing the awesome details..

For future reference the Badge Unit number is located in between the Driver & Passenger seat wall....

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

It is nice to see that the low speed manners of the car were tuned to make it easy to live with.

The 011 ISF have a speedo similar to the LFA if that helps.

Just after I guessed Gengar would get the first production car with Alcantara seats you mentioned that the black production car has them. Another of my predictions in the dumper.
Quick point.. The 2011 IS-F speedo is nothing close to the the LFA at all.

I wonder if this Black Demo LFA is unit #009 that has been MIA for some time now...

Joe Z
Old 03-09-11, 01:43 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks 07, that was extremely helpful.

I had no idea that we would drive solo in the LFA with big brother on the radio.

Did you have a tendancy brake early? The times I was in the car, it was surprising how close got to the corners the pros before getting off the gas and onto the brakes with the LFA.

It is nice to see that the low speed manners of the car were tuned to make it easy to live with.
Ah the braking theory will tell you that to do all the heavy braking before entering the corner ( just the reverse of what you do on the streets). The idea is when you're turning the steering wheel, there should be neither heavy braking nor acceleration that would upset the car's balance. I almost swung the rear around exiting turn 6 (sweeping downhill) because I got too much gas too early.

The 011 ISF have a speedo similar to the LFA if that helps.

Just after I guessed Gengar would get the first production car with Alcantara seats you mentioned that the black production car has them. Another of my predictions in the dumper.

I am continuing to be surprised about how many dealers are getting the cars. The red one in Costa Rica, the black one in the Netherlands and the dealer you just mentioned. This makes the comment the GM at my dealership made about roughly 50 of the US cars going to dealers sound more credible.
I believe he bought the car as an individual, and not under his dealership. At the risk of turning this thread into another argument with TommyJames, I think the dealer people know the true value of the LFA, and they would not hesitate to buy one.
Old 03-09-11, 01:48 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
"07grIS350" - Sounds like you had a blast... Thanks for sharing the awesome details..

For future reference the Badge Unit number is located in between the Driver & Passenger seat wall....

Quick point.. The 2011 IS-F speedo is nothing close to the the LFA at all.

I wonder if this Black Demo LFA is unit #009 that has been MIA for some time now...

Joe Z
Yep, that's where the camera/telemetry recording devices were mounted, in addition to one camera on the windshield pointing at the driver.
Old 03-09-11, 01:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Did you have a tendancy brake early? The times I was in the car, it was surprising how close got to the corners the pros before getting off the gas and onto the brakes with the LFA.

I am continuing to be surprised about how many dealers are getting the cars. The red one in Costa Rica, the black one in the Netherlands and the dealer you just mentioned. This makes the comment the GM at my dealership made about roughly 50 of the US cars going to dealers sound more credible.
that's because the brakes on the lfa are very capable, so there is no need to brake too early. that happened to me exactly at the track. the brakes are far superior than other brakes i have had, so on first few turns, i braked way too early and car became cruising through the corners. and then came the straight away and i was too carried away with speed and forgot to brake and ended up braking too late, but still the brakes slowed the car in no time.

it's just like you are used to a camry brakes and suddenly get into an isf, you will find yourself braking too early all the time. once you are used to the brakes in the isf, you will start braking later and later.

now the danger is if one day you go back into the camry
Old 03-09-11, 02:09 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The brake capabilities is a constant thing for me.

The LFA brakes blow you away.

The IS350 has nice brakes. When I drive the Vibe, you have to brake much earlier on the street as they are terrible compared with those on the IS.

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 03-09-11 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 02:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The brake capabilities is a constant thing for me.

The LFA brakes blow you away.

The IS350 has nice brakes. When I drive the Vibe, you have to brake much earlier on the street as they are terrible compared with those on the IS.
yup, your experience with the is350 and vibe is exactly what you will experience with the lfa and why initially you will tend to brake too early.

when i drove the lfa, the funny thing is if you just press on the brake lightly, it's a funny feeling, like you can't feel much of the brakes. but as soon as you press it in a bit more, then bam it hits you hard
Old 03-09-11, 02:48 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Yep, that's where the camera/telemetry recording devices were mounted, in addition to one camera on the windshield pointing at the driver.
Interesting ......

Were the seats indeed in the Black LFA "Alcantara" or suede like, as found in the prototype Pearl Yellow LFA ??

Or

More like Red Soft leather as seen here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6094969-post6.html

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-09-11 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 06:16 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Very short note as I just got back from Infineon. We had three customers (me, #29, and a guy with a future car) plus Paul Rohovsky and one other guy who took turns (not sure of the relationship with Lexus). 07, are you still in town? I have dinner plans but am going to hang out with some of the Lexus guys in the meantime.

I did get a chance to check this thread this morning and reminded myself 10 times to look at the production number on the black car, but like an idiot I forgot. The new black car is going to be Lexus USA's official vehicle, replacing the yellow one, which they decided to return to Japan soon. This was originally a car headed to a Texas dealership but Lexus USA got it instead. I was surprised to learn that Lexus USA is actually leasing the yellow LFA (i.e., paying to have it, not just "borrowing" it from Japan), so this works out much better for them anyway. In any case, I'll ask Jim about the #.

All the instructors are with the Jim Russell program. My instructor was Formula Drift Pro Tony Brakohiapa. He was really good. We rotated cars so I did get to drive all three. I probably did 15 laps in total. I did back up the black car when we were parking for lunch; the backup cam works just like it does on the F, although I'm not sure it's mounted center.

Very short verdict: The LFA is the best car I have ever driven. It is so incredibly stable in cornering that it is simply mindboggling. Repeatedly through my instruction I was way too tentative because I was expecting it to react like a typical Ferrari or Porsche MR/RR with heavy rear weight bias. It's simply an amazing experience, way more special than any of the exotics I've driven, and especially at a place like Infineon the car really shines.

Have to run. A few photos and other notes later.

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Gengar, I think everyone will be thankful if you did that. For an in car perspective, mount a camera on the rear glass, looking forward. It gives a great, panoramic view. Check out this video.
The tech guys mounted my GoPro on the rear glass for me and it came out great. I will upload the video of Tony Brakohiapa's hot laps to youtube later this week.
Old 03-09-11, 06:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Awesome update

Cannot wait to read your detailed review and watch the video footage, data etc.

Originally Posted by gengar
Very short note as I just got back from Infineon. We had three customers (me, #29, and a guy with a future car) plus Paul Rohovsky and one other guy who took turns (not sure of the relationship with Lexus). 07, are you still in town? I have dinner plans but am going to hang out with some of the Lexus guys in the meantime.

I did get a chance to check this thread this morning and reminded myself 10 times to look at the production number on the black car, but like an idiot I forgot. The new black car is going to be Lexus USA's official vehicle, replacing the yellow one, which they decided to return to Japan soon. This was originally a car headed to a Texas dealership but Lexus USA got it instead. I was surprised to learn that Lexus USA is actually leasing the yellow LFA (i.e., paying to have it, not just "borrowing" it from Japan), so this works out much better for them anyway. In any case, I'll ask Jim about the #.

All the instructors are with the Jim Russell program. My instructor was Formula Drift Pro Tony Brakohiapa. He was really good. We rotated cars so I did get to drive all three. I probably did 15 laps in total. I did back up the black car when we were parking for lunch; the backup cam works just like it does on the F, although I'm not sure it's mounted center.

Very short verdict: The LFA is the best car I have ever driven. It is so incredibly stable in cornering that it is simply mindboggling. Repeatedly through my instruction I was way too tentative because I was expecting it to react like a typical Ferrari or Porsche MR/RR with heavy rear weight bias. It's simply an amazing experience, way more special than any of the exotics I've driven, and especially at a place like Infineon the car really shines.

The tech guys mounted my GoPro on the rear glass for me and it came out great. I will upload the video of Tony Brakohiapa's hot laps to youtube later this week.
Old 03-09-11, 06:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

great, can't wait to read more when you get a chance to post!.
Old 03-09-11, 07:11 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Hi Gengar,

Looks like two for two regarding fantastic experiences.

Thanks for the info about the yellow and black cars. I love accounting but some of that stuff is just goofy. They end up taking one of the 17x US cars for themselves.

Thanks for trying the back up thing. The camera is mounted to the side. This can be seen in a few of the pics loaded here.

I am not sure if there are details around for 29. Did you compare notes on what they ordered? Did the guy with the later car go for a year 2 color?

Are these guys old and funny or young and full of trust funds?

If the 2 day sample is at all representative, there may only be about 20-24 real owners who do this event.

How was the Bardesomo? My wife couldn't make it so I went with a pedestrian place in American Canyon.
Old 03-09-11, 07:15 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Interesting ......

Were the seats indeed in the Black LFA "Alcantara" or suede like, as found in the prototype Pearl Yellow LFA ??

Or

More like Red Soft leather as seen here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6094969-post6.html

Joe Z
It is not 009. The seat front material is exactly like what's showing in the pic with badge 009. Paul did mention that the car just arrived last week or something like that. Either that or I am completely losing it due to too much excitement.
Old 03-09-11, 07:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I think that is a good thing they are replacing the yellow prototype LFA with a new black production model LFA. This will most likely serve as the press car.

Hopefully, we will see a full track test (including test of launch control) of the black production LFA by one of the US publication like CarAndDriver, RoadAndTrack etc. and hopefully the true prowess of LFA will be revealed.

Hi Gengar,

Looks like two for two regarding fantastic experiences.

Thanks for the info about the yellow and black cars. I love accounting but some of that stuff is just goofy. They end up taking one of the 17x US cars for themselves.

Thanks for trying the back up thing. The camera is mounted to the side. This can be seen in a few of the pics loaded here.

I am not sure if there are details around for 29. Did you compare notes on what they ordered? Did the guy with the later car go for a year 2 color?

Are these guys old and funny or young and full of trust funds?

If the 2 day sample is at all representative, there may only be about 20-24 real owners who do this event.

How was the Bardesomo? My wife couldn't make it so I went with a pedestrian place in American Canyon.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-09-11 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 07:18 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

I had to fly out on Tue, because March Break starts on Thu for me. I am glad you had a good time too.

Originally Posted by gengar

Old 03-10-11, 03:44 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Gengar, awesome! Events like this make ownership more of a joy. Do some of the LFA owners here plan on spending more track days with their cars or leave it strictly to street duty?

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Driver Development Center program at Infineon (official)