LFA Model (2012)

Transforming the LFA Supercar for SEMA 2010 (from Pearl White to Smoky Granite Mica)

Old 11-04-10, 11:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb Transforming the LFA Supercar for SEMA 2010 (from Pearl White to Smoky Granite Mica)

Just for all you LFA Lovers!!!!!

So the Gray Pearl LFA @ SEMA 2010, is actually painted the Lexus Color Code "1G0".

Which is in fact called "Smoky Granite Mica"

This very same LFA was previously painted Starfire Pearl White & before that, it was Matte Black.

Source: Lexus Magazine

1. North America's LFA prototype has had a big year. A test-drive on Jay Leno's Garage. Shattering glasses on YouTube. Countless track hours. So back in September, Lexus decided it was time to give the LFA a makeover, exterior and interior, for November's SEMA auto show, and we decided it was the perfect opportunity to show Lexus owners how Lexus vehicles are prepped for events, film, and commercials.

2. For these kinds of jobs, Lexus often turns to L.A.-based B.A.D. Company, which has prepped Lexus vehicles for shows like The Apprentice. The team is already familiar with this car; they’re the ones who painted it white (actually Starfire White Pearl) when it was first freshened up a few months ago. Now, they've been given 10 days to redo the paint and re-cover the seats with new leather.

3. The doors come off, both to facilitate painting, and to make it easier to remove the seats. The seats are then taken out and begin their own journey, which we'll discuss in a moment. (The fact that the seat frames are built from carbon fiber is a big help here—their weight is a fraction of that of a typical high-performance car seat.) Also removed: the brake calipers, which are sent to Brembo for repainting.

4. With a tight schedule, it's important to know what trim pieces and badging—sometimes called “jewelry”—must be removed, and what can be masked. “This being a prototype, you want to handle it delicately,” explains Technical Services Manager Billy Stavridis. “We try not to remove too many pieces, because we know there aren't any replacement pieces available [if something breaks].”

5. With the LFA's seats out and everything masked, the existing finish is prepped to accept the new paint, a combination of wet and dry sanding. Then—and this may surprise you—all of the masking is removed and reapplied, to ensure that it's absolutely perfect when the paint is shot.

6. The transformation is dramatic as two men apply the new base coat. There's no messing around here. The color? “To tell you the truth, I really don't know the color's name,” says Eli Rodriguez, the project's paint-lead. “I always go by formula number. This formula is One-G-Zero.” (That's Pearl Gray Metallic to you and me.) After the base-coat comes a protective layer of clear coat.

7. While paint cures, let's catch up on the seats. Remember when I said the lightweight carbon fiber seat frame was a big help? That's from the installer's standpoint, who's tasked with removing the units. Begging to differ is Sergio, the upholstery expert who must (quickly) fashion new semi-aniline leather to fit the LFA seat design's “challenging curves.”

8. With only 500 or so LFAs planned for the planet, you don't just call the warehouse and ask for a pre-cut seat kit. Such a thing doesn't exist. What you do is have an uncut, high-quality, semi-aniline hide shipped over, and then have an expert like Sergio painstakingly re-create and stitch together each of approximately 30 individual leather components on each seat.

9. When the paint has cured sufficiently, it's time for color sanding. The color sanding temporarily dulls the finish, but it allows the technicians to then re-polish the vehicle for a flawless final finish with zero bumps. Of course, care must be taken. “When we're sanding, we're actually removing clear coat,” says paint lead Eli Rodriguez. Go too far, and they'd have to start all over again.

10. The next step: remove all the masking and seriously buff the exterior. This is the fun part, because it's where the team gets to see the fruits of their labor. But in the LFA's case, this step is tricky, because, while metal surfaces are smooth, carbon fiber has subtle waves due to its woven construction. The technicians have to allow for this in judging the paint job's progress. “It's much more labor intensive,” says Eli.

11. The buffing stage starts under a set of lights, using large buffers. Then the car is rolled (remember, no brakes!) under different lights, revealing any areas needing attention, this time from smaller buffers. Finally, the car moves into sunlight, gets inspected, and receives a final buffing by hand. The trick is to buff everything thoroughly but not get carried away—even buffing pads can cut through the protective layer of clear-coat.

12. Buffing is something of an art form. I'm reminded of this as I watch a technician work over a panel, and then step back to inspect his work like an artist assessing his canvas. And mind you, in this particular instance, the technician was working on the section behind the radiator vent—a portion of the car that will be covered when the car is on display. Now that's professional attention to detail.

13. Meanwhile, Sergio completes his work on the seats' new semi-aniline leather—they're “Camel Yellow,” in case you're curious—and the seats stand by for installation.

14. With the seats in place, the crew re-hangs the doors and wraps up the final details.

15. Finally, the LFA stands transformed, its Pearl Gray Metallic exterior a thing to behold. “It's nice to see it leave the shop looking beautiful,” observes Eli. The next stops: a few appearances before SEMA (after reinstalling the brakes), then SEMA itself, and after that, the continued grueling schedule of a supercar prototype. Which has me wondering: Just what color will it be in four months?

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-04-10 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-04-10, 11:52 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the writeup, as well as the inside scoop on the color. I guess it really takes the actual color code to know the color (for example, the PS at Joliet told me that the previous color was not in fact Starfire Pearl, which you were also able to correct me on).
Old 11-04-10, 11:58 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice write-up ... now all they need is a LFA in 3R1 (Matador red mica )
Old 11-05-10, 12:02 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Nice write-up ... now all they need is a LFA in 3R1 (Matador red mica )
It's possible that Pearl Red is in fact that color, since Pearl White was really just SFP, and Pearl Gray is really just SGM... at least on these prototypes.
Old 11-05-10, 07:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ I guess we will never know (right now), unless we can get an actual list of color codes corresponding to the color names for the LFA...

~ We have all the color names..

Could be the Gray & White custom paint jobs, done here in the USA, were what Lexus had on hand. Using known valid Lexus color codes..

We shall see...

I just happy to see a Smoky Granite Mica LFA rolling around..!!

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-05-10 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-05-10, 08:05 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That color does look good under proper lighting condition. I still prefer red in all of the outdoor LFA pictures.
Old 11-05-10, 08:26 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
That color does look good under proper lighting condition. I still prefer red in all of the outdoor LFA pictures.
The Red is nice... The my knowledge we have seen the standard "Red" color they offer on that Red LFA prototype..

There is also the Pearl Red color, that might turn out to really be Matador Red Mica.

Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails Transforming the LFA Supercar for SEMA 2010 (from Pearl White to Smoky Granite Mica)-lfa-red.jpg   Transforming the LFA Supercar for SEMA 2010 (from Pearl White to Smoky Granite Mica)-picture-014b.jpg  
Old 11-05-10, 10:55 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

The red LFA in Europe looks like the Pearl Red. The one in Japan is probably the lighter red. You're probably going to tell me, with pic(s) that they are the same color, or even the same car ....
Old 11-05-10, 11:55 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
The red LFA in Europe looks like the Pearl Red. The one in Japan is probably the lighter red. You're probably going to tell me, with pic(s) that they are the same color, or even the same car ....
LoL

I'm Not sure if there are 2 Red LFA's rolling around ( I doubt it)..

They fly these cars around in a heartbeat!!!!!

None of the Red photos look to be Pearl...
The Pearl is a tad bit deeper and it sparkles in your eyes..
(Like the LFA Roadster Concept)

Standard Red LFA
http://www.autoblog.nl/gallery/0_Rev...xus_LFA-10.jpg

I just started up a new Red LFA thread, with some New Awesome Videos...

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-09-10 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-05-10, 12:22 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

I love it regardless. Thanks for the pics.
Old 11-05-10, 01:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i am boring, i still like white the most
Old 11-08-10, 07:35 PM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Love the red!
Old 11-08-10, 08:54 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the lfa is so rare, they can't even afford for a few extra more for the different exterior/interior colors
Old 11-08-10, 10:21 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were 3 different LFA's at Goodwood. There were TWO red LFA's and there was a white one. I'll find pictures and put them here.
Old 11-09-10, 01:18 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
There were 3 different LFA's at Goodwood. There were TWO red LFA's and there was a white one. I'll find pictures and put them here.
Sounds great....

Put the pics in:

I just started up a new Red LFA thread, with some New Awesome Videos...

Joe Z

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transforming the LFA Supercar for SEMA 2010 (from Pearl White to Smoky Granite Mica)