LFA Model (2012)

Video: Lexus LFA breaks champagne glass with science

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 04:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ethix
This is a discussion forum about cars. Most discussions about cars end up talking about and comparing different cars. I don't really see a problem with that.

Anyway, my only point to bringing up the McLaren was that you can make a car extremely functional without adversely effecting it's looks.
What is annoying is every thread about the LFA has people comparing it from everything to turbo Civics to now McLarens.

Again I am a huge, giant McLaren fan. It is in a LEAGUE OF ITS OWN. Why bring up a car that came out in 1995 that cost over 1 million dollars to then beat up the LFA on something as subjective as styling?

I've seen it in person, it looks fabulous and that is my opinion.

The LFA is uniquely JAPANESE in design and execution. Kudos to Lexus for having the ***** to bring it to market.

Here is a McLaren F1 thread I started years ago.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...hlight=mclaren
Old 06-03-10, 05:31 PM
Ethix
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't think you're understanding my point. Somebody had said that they didn't like the vent/scoop at first, but that it was functional and had a bunch of time worth of R&D put into it. I was simply pointing out that being functional is not an excuse for how ugly that vent/scoop looks. The McLaren was just the first (highly functional while also being beautiful) car that popped into my head.

Now, some may like the way that scoop/vent looks. I don't. To me it looks like the designers hand slipped when drawing it.

Old 06-03-10, 11:02 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at the concepts of the LFA before it was ever produced, the vents for the rear radiators were always there. If thats the way they designed it, that's the way it'll be made. It's Japanese and modern and functional, just because it doesn't look like a McLaren F1 doesn't mean it's not an awesome car. The F1 didn't perform great, it had a high top speed but the handling characteristics were raw, it had no traction control, no stability control, nothing that modern cars have. No airbags, no brake override systems, no safety features that todays cars have. If the LFA didn't have all those systems it'd weigh in the less than 3000lb. category. The fact is the LFA has lots of modern features and luxury, it isn't a bucket with an engine. The F1 was a race car made for racing, and had to have a certain amount of models to go racing at LeMans. It was a popular vehicle and it was produced more for the street, but it wasn't very streetable.

Last edited by TF109B; 06-03-10 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-04-10, 03:50 PM
Banikid
Lead Lap

Wow this has gotten alot of attention. Heres another vid. This one is off facebook so dunno if its gonna work or not.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...v=581161216186
Old 06-04-10, 06:41 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
Default LFA official commercial

just seen this today it look sicc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNFX2YnjP14
Old 06-04-10, 06:47 PM
Dunkin1222
Pole Position

Haven't quite figured out why they're advertising a $400k car?
Old 06-04-10, 06:55 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoooo that car sounds like pure S3X!
Old 06-04-10, 07:04 PM
pocky
mooncake master

..................................and this has to do with the Second Generation IS because...........?!?!?!!!!!!! LOL

I think you guys need to explore the other parts of ClubLexus.
Old 06-04-10, 07:07 PM
Ethix
Driver

Originally Posted by TF109B
If you look at the concepts of the LFA before it was ever produced, the vents for the rear radiators were always there. If thats the way they designed it, that's the way it'll be made. It's Japanese and modern and functional, just because it doesn't look like a McLaren F1 doesn't mean it's not an awesome car. The F1 didn't perform great, it had a high top speed but the handling characteristics were raw, it had no traction control, no stability control, nothing that modern cars have. No airbags, no brake override systems, no safety features that todays cars have. If the LFA didn't have all those systems it'd weigh in the less than 3000lb. category. The fact is the LFA has lots of modern features and luxury, it isn't a bucket with an engine. The F1 was a race car made for racing, and had to have a certain amount of models to go racing at LeMans. It was a popular vehicle and it was produced more for the street, but it wasn't very streetable.
Why is everyone ignoring everything else I posted except for the small comment about the F1. I could've just as easily picked a random Ferrari or heaven forbid......the GTR. Both are functional (scoops, vents, downforce, etc) and have all the gadgets, but don't sacrifice looks (though I know some people who don't like the looks of the GTR) in the pursuit of performance.

If you like the way the vent/scoop/jagged thing on the side looks, great. All you have to say is "Hey, I think it looks good." These huge posts about technology and luxury and whatnot have nothing to do with the looks. I was only responding to somebody elses comment on how the scoop is okay because it's functional.
Old 06-04-10, 09:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Dunkin1222
Haven't quite figured out why they're advertising a $400k car?
"Halo" affect. Some are interpreting the "breaking of the glass" as a "Break" in what Lexus has been about in the past.
Old 06-04-10, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i surely hope they aren't trying to advertise this car. that would suck. you never see tv commercials on ferraris and lamborghinis

on the other hand, this commercial to advertise the brand about what lexus can do / achieve, then it's cool
Old 06-04-10, 11:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
pretty cool, but the noise was amplified by the microphone. Not as impressive as you guys think though. I dont think many people have ever been next to a car on the dyno. It gets pretty damn loud let alone to have it amplified. Slick none the less. Thanks for sharing

LEXUS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you actually think loudness is what breaks the glass? that's pretty uneducated... it's more about the frequency than loudness. loudness is hard to shatter glass. look carefully at the commercial again and you see the glass starts vibrating. that's due to resonance of the glass, which is caused only by specific sound frequency. the science is to find and tune to this frequency. it causes big resonance and that's the major force in "self destruction" of the glass itself...

watch this video to learn more about resonance -- science of physics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCw952GMOvE
Old 06-05-10, 09:57 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

More about the science of the ad, they had a USC technical consultant:

Old 06-05-10, 01:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you actually think loudness is what breaks the glass? that's pretty uneducated... it's more about the frequency than loudness. loudness is hard to shatter glass. look carefully at the commercial again and you see the glass starts vibrating. that's due to resonance of the glass, which is caused only by specific sound frequency. the science is to find and tune to this frequency. it causes big resonance and that's the major force in "self destruction" of the glass itself...

watch this video to learn more about resonance -- science of physics
As long as the resonance frequency of the glass is matched by the car it will break. I am doctor and I don't need a physics lesson from anyone. Please keep your rude comments and assumptions to yourself.( aren't you a moderator????)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-car-chat.html

"Uneducated"???????? what a joke. Thanks for the laugh

Last edited by I8ABMR; 06-08-10 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 02:10 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
As long as the resonance frequency of the glass is matched by the car it will break. I am doctor and I don't need a physics lesson from anyone. Please keep your rude comments and assumptions to yourself.( aren't you a moderator????)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-car-chat.html

"Uneducated"???????? what a joke. Thanks for the laugh
M.D. or Ph.D?

I'm in medical school myself currently! Seen a few other M.D.s on these forums.

Quick Reply: Video: Lexus LFA breaks champagne glass with science