LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA proves an easy sell, in the land of Porsche and Ferrari (all 500 sold)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 05:43 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Lexus LFA proves an easy sell, in the land of Porsche and Ferrari (all 500 sold)

Thanks Speedflex, I found the entire article.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0pYVQkcQs

Lexus says it has orders and down payments for all 500 of the $375,000 LFA sports cars it plans to build.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0pYWI2DGf

Lexus LFA proves an easy sell, in the land of Porsche and Ferrari

FINAL ASSEMBLY
In the land of Porsche and Ferrari, Lexus sports car proves an easy sell

Automotive News -- May 31, 2010 - 12:01 am ET

Lexus says it has orders and down payments for all 500 of the $375,000 LFA sports cars it plans to build.

Selling the Lexus brand in the backyard of BMW, Audi and Mercedes is tough enough. But promoting the Japanese brand's LFA sports car to an elite European clique accustomed to Porsche and Ferrari must be a hopeless cause, right?

Actually, the pitch has been easier than expected.

Parent Toyota already has booked orders and taken down payments for all 500 of the $375,000 sports cars it plans to build over the model's life.

Lexus isn't giving details of orders by region. But it says that a third of the orders from Europe were placed in Germany. Lexus brought eight of those buyers to this year's Nurburgring 24-hour endurance race in Germany to wine and dine them as two LFAs competed at the legendary circuit. Each buyer already had plunked down 100,000 euros ($125,715).

The future LFA owners said they were looking for a different car that exudes performance and prestige without being flashy or overwrought. Europeans also appreciate the doting customer service offered by Lexus, a refreshing contrast to the haughty elitism of rival brands.

One buyer, a manufacturing engineer who declined to be identified, compared the LFA to owning a rare, ultraexpensive mechanical wristwatch. "To most people, it's an unknown quantity," he said. "But true aficionados know its value."

Manfred Sattler, the owner of a software company and an auto racing team, picked the LFA primarily because it is different. As a German with a 500-hp Hummer H2 and two Dodge Vipers in his garage, he has an eye for the unorthodox.

Said Sattler: "About 20 years ago, I said I'd never drive a German."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0pYVQkcQs
[via autonews - sub. required]

Old 05-31-10, 09:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A third of Euro orders placed in Germany, that's interesting considering the LS etc only sells a handful there, I'm guessing the hardcore performance aspect is what attracts the Euro buyer. Moreover, the exotic/rare aspect of Lexus in Europe is truly in play here.

Orders and down payments on each LFA...ftw.
Old 06-01-10, 12:53 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

all sold? wow!
Old 06-01-10, 02:46 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be delivered at my mansion soon...

Don't I wish

Cant believe they are all sold. Good job Lexus!
Old 06-01-10, 08:15 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that is good news, and now I don't have to suffer alone b/c I know there were a lot of other people who missed out. Good to hear that a lot were sold in Germany as that really shows how well Lexus is doing.

On a sader note, the guy who won the draw at my dealership just finnished choosing all the options on the car. He also got flown to Tokyo and had a test drive of an LFA there.
Old 06-02-10, 12:22 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Well that is good news, and now I don't have to suffer alone b/c I know there were a lot of other people who missed out. Good to hear that a lot were sold in Germany as that really shows how well Lexus is doing.

On a sader note, the guy who won the draw at my dealership just finnished choosing all the options on the car. He also got flown to Tokyo and had a test drive of an LFA there.
Yes indeed, in the other thread it was mentioned that the #2 executive at Motorola Corp. was also excluded from getting an LFA. Of the 500 future owners, there are at least twice that many who didn't get the car. Please Lexus take note and come up with something special for the future to cater to this still untapped clientele!

And I'm envious of the guy getting flown to Tokyo for the test drive...maybe at the Megaweb facility test area in Odaiba? They test cars there although at high speed I'm not sure.
Old 06-02-10, 06:15 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Yes indeed, in the other thread it was mentioned that the #2 executive at Motorola Corp. was also excluded from getting an LFA. Of the 500 future owners, there are at least twice that many who didn't get the car. Please Lexus take note and come up with something special for the future to cater to this still untapped clientele!

And I'm envious of the guy getting flown to Tokyo for the test drive...maybe at the Megaweb facility test area in Odaiba? They test cars there although at high speed I'm not sure.
I am not sure where it was as I was a bit busy. My dealership manager came to my work yesterday to get my signature for next years insurance and while I signed he told me about it. He did say it was a place they test cars though.

Well, it just goes to show that it was not all about money with Lexus and this car, especially with the #2 of Motorola being turned down.