LFA Model (2012)

Motortrend: LFA vs. GTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 09:35 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Motortrend: LFA vs. GTR

The phone rings. It's Bill from down the street, with an offer he thinks we can't refuse. While he's normally our local fix for luxurious, relaxing trips (that sometimes cause drowsiness), today he proffers something vastly different: all the speed we can handle for 12 hours. The catch is this deal needs to go down in the next three days. Miss that window and his special shipment gets loaded into a crate and flown back to the Far East. Think about it he says, and get back to me.

What is there to consider?

Bill, you see, reps Lexus and is offering a 552-horsepower dose of nose-candy-colored LFA. We're intrigued, but also irked at the short notice and implication that we're easy and desperate for such a rush. Like we'd just drop everything and clear our schedule for a taste of this $375,000 LFA.

We call him back and arrange to meet the early the next morning at an industrial park off the freeway in Riverside, California.

They say the first hit is free, but this one is going to cost us a bit of our soul. Lexus USA owns but one LFA, a jet-black model used for advertising and potential customer events. This white one is on loan from Japan at substantial cost to the company -- air freight alone is some $40,000. Its time is up and it needs to go back ASAP, hence the last-minute notice.

It is also a preproduction prototype -- a crusher in industry parlance. It has no VIN or license plate, and sits on non-DOT-approved tires, so we can't drive it on the street. When we're done with it, it gets shipped back to Japan where it will likely be reduced to a fine, expensive powder. To ensure we don't facilitate an earlier end on this side of the Pacific, two watchful handlers will accompany us while we have it.

So, just how are we supposed to assess the LFA's street value with such draconian measures in place? We have a few tricks up our sleeve, but first we need verify its potency. Off to the speed shop.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0nXrhKBQ4
dont forget to watch the videos!!
Old 05-10-10, 09:44 AM
LexFather

Yup, Encore posted in the LFA thread but I think this deserves a separate thread. Outside of acceleration from 0-60 the LFA spanks it everywhere as it should. Still the GT-R is an incredible car.

Nice review and very good video. Glad to see they are not simpletons and understand the differences and why the LFA is the genuine article. I still love the GT-R!!:bow
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Subsequent testing proves the LFA to be dynamically superior to the GT-R in nearly every category. Any doubts that the Lexus is anything but a legitimate supercar are absolutely gutted on the test tarmac. Only supercars manage to brake from 60 in under 94 feet and pull 1.05 g on the skidpad. Sure, the GT-R retains bragging rights to 60 mph due to all wheel drive and shorter gearing, but to triple digits and beyond, it is all LFA. Then there is the way it handles our figure eight.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0nXnXHffP
Remove the collectors and speculators from the equation, and the LFA is merely another absurdly fast, glorious sounding supercar, right? Oh, if it were only that simple. Armchair experts, looking hard at our images and videos, will dissect and ultimately denounce the LFA for not being invincible. Sure, if a GT-R can catch it off guard, so can a Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 911 Turbo, Corvette ZR-1, and Dodge Viper -- all for a lot less money. But citing times, trap speeds, or dollar signs as enough reason to elevate any one of those over the LFA is missing the point entirely. The LFA belongs in the elite supercar club as much as any choice Porsche, Ferrari, or Corvette. It looks and sounds like nothing else on the road, and is as fiendishly fast as it is complicated and indulgent -- the very embodiment of the country and motoring culture from which it comes.

As for what its worth on the street? You need only hear the intoxicating bark of that V-10 touching 9000 rpm to know the answer.

Every penny.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0nXmkB9pG
Old 05-10-10, 09:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll take two of each, with supersized drink and large fries
Old 05-10-10, 09:49 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I thought it was a very well written article. Glad to hear they enjoyed the cars.

I got goosebumps watching the videos, haha
Old 05-10-10, 10:17 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only dream of having that kind of money laying around, I know straight where it would go.
Old 05-10-10, 10:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

430hp on the dyno? This car has a parasitic drivetrain loss of 122hp...?
Old 05-10-10, 10:20 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LFA = Phenomenal piece of machinery. Anything that handles Godzilla this way is on the edge of out of this world. And the sound... oh that sound!

But as soon as Nissan reads this you can bet they'll put a picture/target of the LFA on their wall and get crackin.
Old 05-10-10, 10:45 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Damn it! they did all the testing in my backyard!!! Geeeze. LFA FTMFW!!!!!
Old 05-10-10, 10:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The sound of that 1/4 mile race was a straight up orgasm. I am covered in goosebumps.

Most of the videos that I have seen are short bursts but that flat out quarter mile run was AMAZING.
Old 05-10-10, 11:12 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

One must wonder if they are sending the cars out limited in some way?
Old 05-10-10, 11:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I am not sure what the deal is but that's an insane amount of loss - 22% if I calculated that correctly.
Old 05-10-10, 11:44 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure what the deal is but that's an insane amount of loss - 22% if I calculated that correctly.
it has something to do with rwd car powering/spinning an awd dyno.
Old 05-10-10, 12:53 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

I really doubt that the engine was getting enough air on the dyno. One would need to look at the Air/Fuel ratio and engine temps to QA/QC the dyno data.
Old 05-10-10, 01:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Also seems they used a less than ideal transmission for the car. They remarked the GTR's tranny was much better. Single-clutch sequentials will go the way of the dinosaur soon.
Old 05-10-10, 01:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I'd take 4 GT-R's in lieu of 1 LF-A, but damn the LF-A engine sounds sweet.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-11-10 at 05:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Motortrend: LFA vs. GTR