rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the Road With the 2011 Lexus LFA

http://www.insideline.com/features/o...lexus-lfa.html

On the Road With the 2011 Lexus LFA
Not What You've Been Expecting

By Chris Harris, Contributor | Published Feb 17, 2010

It's mid-January and Britain is going through one of those winter thaws where the whole island seems covered in grime. The 2011 Lexus LFA has just emerged from the workshop where technicians have spent the past hour pretending to do things to its giblets and crazy multiform surfaces. And now, whiter than the Stig's iPod, the LFA sits bang outside the showroom doors. You wonder if its angelic cleanliness is the result of some new scum-repelling lacquer developed purely for the Lexus supercar.

We have four hours with this car. That would be four hours in a $375,000, 552-horsepower car developed almost exclusively at the Nürburgring. Four hours in a car that is claimed to reach 100 km/h (62 mph) from a standstill in 3.7 seconds and that will apparently touch 202 mph. Four hours in a car that is intended to sprinkle magic dust on the Lexus brand.

But unlike anyone else in the world, we're going to spend four hours in the 2011 Lexus LFA on the roads of the real world, not just a racetrack. Our mission is to deliver one of the world's most expensive production cars to a Lexus showroom in the exclusive London district of Mayfair, so we have four hours to wend as epic a path through rural Bedfordshire as is possible.

The Starting Ritual
We set a course for some cracking technical roads not far from the Lexus technical center in Milton Keynes. Some young hoon in a drift-homage Nissan 240SX nearly swallows his tongue when he spies the Lexus, pointing and jabbering as flecks of spittle shower the inside of the Nissan's side window.

We were impressed ourselves as soon as we experienced the theatrical moment of rousing the 2011 Lexus LFA from its sleep. You enter the cabin by pushing down on a recessed flap on the door, and after the latch surrenders with a recognizable Lexus-style ker-thonk, the featherweight door glides toward you. Tumble down into the cozy chair, use the typically silent Lexus electric motors to perfect the seating position and then manually adjust the steering wheel. Before you plunge the key into the ignition barrel, admire its solid billet of titanium shrouded in carbon-fiber.

One turn of the key seems to ignite the instrument binnacle, as the Thin Film Transfer (TFT) display lights up. The tachometer pulses with dramatic reds and whites, and the redline is all the way up at 9,000 rpm. With your right thumb, you push the ignition button on the steering wheel and the starter motor spins with that distinctive high-pitched shriek that tells you there are lots of pistons on the move. Then all 10 cylinders catch with a demure brrrraaaap from the triple exhausts, and finally the 4,805cc V10 settles into a composed, judder-free idle.

We'll tell you, this thing feels indescribably special at idle. We just didn't expect the exquisite amalgam of tailor-made supercar detail and mass-produced Lexus quality and refinement.

We're Rolling
In order to save weight, the 2011 Lexus LFA disdains the usual dual-clutch automated manual for a racing-style single-clutch automated manual. First gear selects seamlessly, but then the transmission shudders through the 1st-to-2nd change.

The rear tires swiftly spool up and transform a delicate drift into a ditch-tempter of a slide.
The throttle response borders on the immediate, which takes some getting used to, and the Lexus technician riding in the passenger seat must think us an incompetent fool as the car stammers the first few yards. The only engine as free-revving and responsive as this that we've ever experienced has been the Porsche Carrera GT's 612-hp 5.7-liter V10. The resemblance is uncanny, from the heavy, lash-free action of the throttle pedal to the rabid way the engine accumulates revs. Even the noise is there — higher-pitched than the V10s from Audi, BMW and Lamborghini, more shriek than warble.

The LFA's ride is busy but not jarring, and the refinement is pretty good given that the subframes that locate the suspension are hung from a stiff carbon-fiber tub that is bound to transmit vibration. These wide, specially made Bridgestone tires — 265/35ZR20s in front, 305/30ZR20s in the rear — grumble on anything less than virgin asphalt, plus there's some suspension noise as well, but overall the 2011 Lexus LFA feels about as relaxed on the pavement as a Ferrari 599 GTB, which makes it entirely happy as we trundle away.

This isn't a car in which the mere flex of a right toe has you surging past lesser traffic. The pedal works in a great arcing motion and this offers the driver more control over the energy released to the rear differential. So you squeeze the throttle a little farther each time on this damp surface, feel the tires claw at the tarmac and then push deeper into the footwell, hoping to trigger the traction control and, at the very least, understand where the electronics think the limit exists under such conditions.

One Hour Gone
As we drive through some corners, we try to take the measure of a chassis with a weight distribution of 48 percent front/52 percent rear that has been developed diligently in endless laps at the Nürburgring Nordschleife (and even several races in the Nürburgring 24 Hours). And of course we're doing so in a damp, gravel-covered, 2nd-gear bend in Bedfordshire. It's the usual squalid road test of an exquisite automobile, like choosing Yate's Wine Bar for your girl to model a Dolce & Gabbana cocktail dress. Ah, well, a supercar by Lexus has to work everywhere, right?

Matters quickly turn lively when you disable the stability control. When you turn the steering wheel, the car responds. The steering ratio is fast but just the right side of frantically fast, so you don't have to nibble away at the steering wheel to find an apex. But the transition from steering to throttle as you accelerate out of the corner needs to be finely judged. Push a little too hard and the rear tires swiftly spool up and transform a delicate drift into a ditch-tempter of a slide.

Gradually you get a better feeling for the delicacy of the controls and acclimate to the subtle messages that stream through the chassis. The car's 102.6-inch wheelbase actually feels short and brings with it all the expected benefits in terms of agility, so even though the 2011 Lexus LFA is very wide, it doesn't feel too big for everyday use. The steering never really comes alive at these speeds, though.

Two Hours Gone
Not since Mr. Gordon Murray went native with his design of the McLaren F1's interior detailing (well, he was a racing car designer, after all) has there been a more interesting cabin in a road car than this one. It is a mesmerizing collage of designs and materials that still displays fanatical attention to detail.

The titanium shift paddles offer slightly different levels of effort (the upshift is marginally lighter) and the indicator stalks are little slithers of metal that operate with the type of precision that has you tweaking them purely for recreation. The center console rises up high to your right, with the screen for the navigation system buried within it, and the joystick interface control is placed perfectly by your right hand. Flawlessly made carbon-fiber trim pushes up against exotic metals, while the hand-stitched leather is supple and expensive. As a place to enjoy, be comfortable and operate a machine, this might be our favorite supercar cabin of them all. Never thought we'd hear ourselves say that.

You certainly wouldn't hear yourself say such a thing in the LFA at high speed, because this car makes some noise. LFA chief engineer Haruhiko Tanahashi is pretty obsessed with the car's musical attributes, and he's made it a very vocal sports car. Induction and exhaust noises are ducted into the cabin and the result is an ever-changing melee of mechanical sounds. At first you grin at the idea of a Lexus with such an obstreperous personality, but after three hours these sounds become an irritating drone, at least if you're cruising down the M1 to London. You can only alleviate the annoyance with a punch of throttle, which is no great hardship.

When you do this, the LFA gets moving. Some 552 hp might not sound like much these days, but this car weighs just 3,263 pounds. The combination translates into some ferocious performance once the V10 is fully lit, which is at anything above 3,000 rpm. Once the tachometer reaches 4,000 rpm, the engine is pulling very hard. When you get to 7,500 rpm, the noise from the engine, road and wind is intimidating and you think it's time for another gear but there's still 2,000 rpm to go before the fuel cutout cries foul. The last 2,000 rpm is completely explosive, and as the tachometer needle bears down on the 9,000 rpm redline, the LFA's V10 is at once dignified and deranged.

Three and a Half Hours Gone
We've got about 30 minutes in north London traffic to go, and we're following the directions from the navigation system while soaking up tunes from the Mark Levinson hi-fi. What a strange, fascinating car this is.

We've deliberately avoided any talk of the 2011 Lexus LFA's list price of $375,000 until now, because having spent the day (well, four hours) in this car, the price doesn't strike us as especially relevant. That'll sound absurd to many of you, but this car isn't a normal retail proposition, not even in the abnormal reality of Planet Supercar. Just 500 will be made, some 150 of which will go to the United States and only 70 of which are destined for Europe (18 of them to the U.K.). Perhaps the biggest compliment we can pay this Lexus is to say that it doesn't feel like a bad value.

There are faster supercars and more dramatic-looking supercars than the 2011 Lexus LFA, and all of them have a more appealing badge than this one. But we're nevertheless ever-so-slightly smitten by the LFA. The execution is very good — especially that monster V10 — and the details are stunning. Chances are, most people will never see one, and you shouldn't underestimate the power of this.

Most of all, we adore the incongruous mix of refined Lexus values and harsh supercar tech. It's like Marmite and strawberries, only it works. They were a good four hours.
Old 02-17-10, 05:12 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Love reading stuff like that, I'd love to sit in the LFA and see the interior for myself.
Old 02-17-10, 05:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

At the risk of pissing off a few of my fellow forum members off,I have no interest in the LFA.
Never should have been developed and waste of $$$,IMO.
For $375K,there's other cars I would definitely buy before the LFA.
Old 02-17-10, 06:05 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ And how is it a waste of money? This was an impressive display from a brand that is known not too long ago for making just "luxurious, plush cars." It shows progression for the brand, that I am personally excited about. They are starting to consider performance, as shown by the LF-A and IS-F, to accompany their luxury and reliability. Like said in the article, it takes to sit in the car to finally realize why this car is priced at what it is. You have to experience it, because the attention to detail in this car must be quite outstanding.
Old 02-17-10, 06:09 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I love that Lexus/Toyota developed this car. Even though very few will ever have the luxury of owning or driving one, what was learned in developing that car will have applications down the road for new Lexus/Toyota models. I think of this similarly to the Formula 1 program in that way.
Old 02-17-10, 06:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by karasha
^ And how is it a waste of money? This was an impressive display from a brand that is known not too long ago for making just "luxurious, plush cars." It shows progression for the brand, that I am personally excited about. They are starting to consider performance, as shown by the LF-A and IS-F, to accompany their luxury and reliability. Like said in the article, it takes to sit in the car to finally realize why this car is priced at what it is. You have to experience it, because the attention to detail in this car must be quite outstanding.
K,I'm not going to play post tag on the subject but the car is ugly to me,not necessary and developed in a period when Toyota quality went down the tubes.
A Lexus was a vehicle that was all about class and refinement.A smooth comfortable ride with no quality issues.Can you honestly say that Lexus vehicle made 5-6 years ago aren't better vehicles?
Toyota/Lexus got involved with too many projects and today's issues is what you have because of that.
Besides,like most other people,if I were to spend $375K on a exotic,it would be a Porsche,Ferrari,Lambo etc not a Lexus.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-17-10 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-17-10, 06:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I dont see how people try to argue with price and value when only 500 are made. $375k and people want to argue value? Go buy a GTR and stop complaining.

We've deliberately avoided any talk of the 2011 Lexus LFA's list price of $375,000 until now, because having spent the day (well, four hours) in this car, the price doesn't strike us as especially relevant. That'll sound absurd to many of you, but this car isn't a normal retail proposition, not even in the abnormal reality of Planet Supercar. Just 500 will be made, some 150 of which will go to the United States and only 70 of which are destined for Europe (18 of them to the U.K.). Perhaps the biggest compliment we can pay this Lexus is to say that it doesn't feel like a bad value.

There are faster supercars and more dramatic-looking supercars than the 2011 Lexus LFA, and all of them have a more appealing badge than this one. But we're nevertheless ever-so-slightly smitten by the LFA. The execution is very good — especially that monster V10 — and the details are stunning. Chances are, most people will never see one, and you shouldn't underestimate the power of this.
Old 02-17-10, 06:40 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
K,I'm not going to play post tag on the subject but the car is ugly to me,not necessary and developed in a period when Toyota quality went down the tubes.
A Lexus was a vehicle that was all about class and refinement.A smooth comfortable ride with no quality issues.Can you honestly say that Lexus vehicle made 5-6 years ago aren't better vehicles?
Toyota/Lexus got involved with too many projects and today's issues is what you have because of that.
Besides,like most other people,if I were to spend $375K on a exotic,it would be a Porsche,Ferrari,Lambo etc not a Lexus.
I hope you realize this car has been under development of some form or another for about 10 years. So this project has nothing to do with quality issues we're experiencing today.

I do understand that some people don't find it nearly as attractive as some other super car vehicles, that's fine that's personal opinion. The LFA however is still about class and refinement with some race injected straight to the heart. I understand your opinion but the quality issues aren't really related.

You can't be too upset with Lexus with trying to build a super sports car. It means technology and sport will trickle down into the brand. The only thing I'm upset about is I'll likely never have the chance to own one. I do wish the styling was more like the LF-A II concept but I'm not too upset about that.

Back to the topic, this article really pulls out real world application it's nice to hear opinions about how it can be driven as a normal vehicle (and not track only but obviously we've heard accolades of it on the track). I'd like to know what setting they had the transmission set on. Maybe it would behave better in shifts if it was in the "lightest" setting.
Old 02-17-10, 07:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

like this quote:

We'll tell you, this thing feels indescribably special at idle. We just didn't expect the exquisite amalgam of tailor-made supercar detail and mass-produced Lexus quality and refinement.
Old 02-17-10, 07:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

when you see it in person, when you RIDE in it, it just takes your breath away. i like it MORE than a lambo or porsche because it looks more subtle, is better proportioned, and the details are exquisite.

Old 02-17-10, 07:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That paint job is hideous

Looks like the BBQ grille in my backyard
Old 02-17-10, 08:03 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

If Toyota is trying to evolve Lexus into a more sporty brand, they better start with making a faster supercar.
Old 02-17-10, 08:08 AM
LexFather

Well Encore (in the big LFA thread) and RD found it before I did. Please see below, Chris Harris (EVO mag) is a big deal from a reviewer standpoint so this praise is really great news.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is Chris Harris a GREAT reviewer for EVO magazine. It hasn't hit news stands yet. It is by far the best written review yet on the LFA.

The magazine also has a sidebar interviewing the chief engineer on one page and another with the LFA vs GT-R argument where they summarized it isn't one, LFA all the way.

I was going to start a separate thread so thanks Encore!

Yup. It is issue 141...issue 140 is in stands now.....so in a couple weeks look for it!

Originally Posted by pagemaster
If Toyota is trying to evolve Lexus into a more sporty brand, they better start with making a faster supercar.
Lets see the LFA has times on the Nurburgring under 7:30....but let me guess you are stuck on 0-60.

Old 02-17-10, 08:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I were to spend $375K on a exotic,it would be a Porsche,Ferrari,Lambo etc not a Lexus.
I think a lot of people agree with you, you have a valid point. That said there is a waiting line for this car so a lot of people appreciate the LFA and desire one. Again, people don't chose one or the other, they likely have all of them. This car also gives people reliability and quality and ease of use never seen before in this price range. It also gives those that have done well for themselves and like/love the Toyota/Lexus brands something to buy instead of them having to go elsewhere.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
when you see it in person, when you RIDE in it, it just takes your breath away. i like it MORE than a lambo or porsche because it looks more subtle, is better proportioned, and the details are exquisite.

Agreed 100%. I wasn't totally sold on it until I had interaction with it. Just an amazing piece of work!

Old 02-17-10, 08:30 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I can't get over the price. All I ever hear about is the price. this is just like hyundai putting $120k price tag on Equus to shock the world. even if hyundai makes better MB/7 in Equus people will not get over the ridiculous price. How could they?

and for $375k, i expect something more than 'amazing piece or art'

is this outrageous like lambo?
sexy like ferrari?
does it have the 'gotta have it factor'?
does it look like a zonda/koenigsegg like a car from outter space?

what justifies $375k? attention to details? Lexus quality? give me a break.

Quick Reply: On the Road With the 2011 Lexus LFA