LFA Model (2012)

Mercedes-AMG chief on the LFA, IS-F, CTS-V: "don't know", "nobody cares"

Old 12-05-09, 08:42 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mercedes-AMG chief on the LFA, IS-F, CTS-V: "don't know", "nobody cares"

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6573022/...s-v/index.html

What AMG's Dev Chief thinks about SLS, SLR, LFA, and CTS-V
Posted November 2 2009 10:11 AM by Edward Loh

Read more: http://blogs.motortrend.com/6573022/...#ixzz0YsebHw0r

MT: So how about the Lexus LFA? Do you think it is an SLS competitor?

TM: Actually I don't know. It is quite hard to calculate how good that car is... I saw it on the Nordschleife for the 24 hours race. Ahh. I don't know. It's not a competitor, because they are talking about what, 500 cars? That's what I read in the press kit. I don't think so. It is too expensive. It's not a competitor. No.

MT: Performance wise?

TM: Maybe it's fast on the race track, I don't know. But if you have 9 years of development -- well, okaaaay. You have fully carbon fiber everything, and nobody cares about the money you invested in the car... But I don't know, maybe it's fast. It could be, but it is such a small market.

We're not nervous about that car.

You know, when the C63 hit the market, everybody asked me about that Lexus, ah...IS... I don't know what it's...

MT: IS F?

TM: Yes. IS F. And it was not a problem -- never, ever. It never won a comparison or anything else.

MT: Did you ever have one in as part of your test fleet?

TM: I had the chance to look at one. And then I drove one a year ago or so. But it's a different car. The IS F is a car like the C55, which we had 4 or 5 years ago...

MT: What do you think of the Cadillac CTS-V against your E63.

TM: Good question. I don't know. I never drove one. Never had the opportunity to drive the CTS-V...What I heard is that for this fantastic Nordschleife time they used the Pilot Sport Cups. This tire has never, ever been on my car [E63].

If we developed that tire for our car -- put that tire on our car -- it would be less than 8 minutes as well.

MT: So for E63 development you didn't have a CTS-V?

TM: No.

[We discuss for a moment the positioning of the CTS and CTS-V -- how Cadillac has sized and marketed the vehicle in the space between the traditional German sports sedan segments, somewhere between the C- and E-class Benzes and 3- and 5-Series BMWs.]

TM: In Germany, I don't think we have any customer who would think about E63 and CTS-V. I think they would think M5, E63, maybe Jaguar, the new one, XF-R, or Audi RS6. I think that's what they are thinking about.

Maybe it's a good car, but I never drove it. I think maybe it's a good deal in terms of pricing, but in Germany, Europe, nobody cares about the CTS-V.
Old 12-05-09, 08:49 PM
Epik151
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cold hard truth.
Old 12-05-09, 09:18 PM
LexFather

The usual douchebag German interview in response to Japanese/American brands. He is right the LFA is not SLS competition b/c its a complete level above the car. Maybe he needs to be reminded of how the SLR fared/failed so he can be more humble.

This arrogance is what makes the competition catch people off guard. I guess he never heard of the GT-R either

What is is saying without saying it is they are relying on IMAGE, not on credentials. More power to them, they do indeed have the better image here. However to basically dismiss the IS-F and CTS-V is ridiculous. The IS-F would destroy a C55.

And hey douchbag, the IS-F lapped the faster then the C63 on the EVO test track.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-05-09 at 09:45 PM. Reason: OS-F typo LOL
Old 12-05-09, 09:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"I don't know" is Ignorance.

You can't ignore your competitor.

Mercedes cannot say they are the benchmark when other competitors are in fact ready to roll them over...
Old 12-05-09, 09:30 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol he doesnt seem to know a lot of things for a man in his position
Old 12-05-09, 09:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This is the very mentality that got Lexus to beat them in less than a decade. They are so damn smug. Make them more reliable Hanz and remember that arrogance is what created Lamborghini for Ferrari and it let Lexus steal massive amounts of your sales
Old 12-05-09, 11:41 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

"I'm going to stick my head in the sand over here while you lot build quite good machines over there."
Old 12-06-09, 12:07 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know he needs to promote and support the company he's working for. However, he should never underestimate his competitors

A word advice to him: Read up on Sun Tzu and you'll understand why

Old 12-06-09, 12:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

as much as i think the c63 is a pretty nice car, i don't see it being a clear winner of the group neither. ignorance is a pretty sad thing
Old 12-06-09, 12:54 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

We haven't seen the interview and don't know the tone or expressions of this guy but to say "I don't know" so many times, that just seems odd.

All I can tell from this interview is that this guy is smug and lives in another planet. He only comes to Earth for interviews?
Old 12-06-09, 01:44 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

So many "I dont know" 's there.

Its just for show in the interview, but when he's out there getting to work, im 110% sure he knows all too well about the capabilities of an ISF.
Old 12-06-09, 01:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm thinking this guy believes Ignorance is bliss lol
Old 12-06-09, 08:23 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like benz dont look at lexus is as their competitors at all....its little surprising...
Old 12-06-09, 08:48 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The usual douchebag German interview in response to Japanese/American brands. He is right the LFA is not SLS competition b/c its a complete level above the car. Maybe he needs to be reminded of how the SLR fared/failed so he can be more humble.

This arrogance is what makes the competition catch people off guard. I guess he never heard of the GT-R either

What is is saying without saying it is they are relying on IMAGE, not on credentials. More power to them, they do indeed have the better image here. However to basically dismiss the IS-F and CTS-V is ridiculous. The IS-F would destroy a C55.

And hey douchbag, the IS-F lapped the faster then the C63 on the EVO test track.
This. Not only arrogance, but ignorance as well. 1989 all over again. It will probably take only 5 years this time. This guy is sitting with his head in the sand and his *** about to be rolled over. You'd think they'd learn
You don't only have Lexus, but Infiniti, Cadillac and Audi as well.

p.s. As if the C63 won any comparisons vs the M3 I do remember however the IS F thoroughly spanking the C63 in more than one.
Douche.
Old 12-06-09, 08:57 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lims407
sounds like benz dont look at lexus is as their competitors at all....its little surprising...
Which is how the American auto industry went down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mercedes-AMG chief on the LFA, IS-F, CTS-V: "don't know", "nobody cares"