LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

at speed that high, speedo can be very inaccurate (and often inaccurate), so the speedometer reading can't be used for measurement. outside gps reading is the key
Old 10-15-10, 08:48 AM
LexFather

Henry I thought of that but I believe the odometer reading they put on the screen is from their plug in data, not the car reading.

No biggie, I really enjoyed the show, both cars kicked ***. Amazing to think Lexus has been on this show TWICE!
Old 10-15-10, 09:09 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

To be honest, R8 V10 should not even be a competitor of the LFA. The R8 V10 GT should be a far more plausible competitor for the LFA, but considering LFA demolished the R8 V10 by 8 - 10 car lengths (over 1 second in 1 mile) around the road course, I think LFA can hold very well against the R8 V10 GT.
Old 10-15-10, 09:17 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Henry I thought of that but I believe the odometer reading they put on the screen is from their plug in data, not the car reading.

No biggie, I really enjoyed the show, both cars kicked ***. Amazing to think Lexus has been on this show TWICE!

Agreed... ( I haven't seen this episode yet)

But everything I saw with the IS-F episode, proves just that.

This show is "Made for TV & Pure Entertainment."

Until someone knows how to create a "show" where they can get some serious tests done and better controlled variables, all we will continue to see is entertaining results..

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 10-15-10, 09:29 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I know you are an IS-F owner, but to be completely fair to the show.

Not to start an argument, but unless there is a global conspiracy here, their results for the M3 vs IS-F were not inconsistent with just about every other track test ever conducted (factoring in it was an M-DCT M3 and had competition package on it, which is much faster than the 6 speed manual M3).

You can also pick up this months AutoBild magazine with full track and acceleration tests and check out "M3 M-DCT ZCP vs C63 Performance Package vs RS5 vs IS-F" to see how these cars faired and suddenly the Battle of the supercar results actually look very good.

Only playing fair here.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Agreed... ( I haven't seen this episode yet)

But everything I saw with the IS-F episode, proves just that.

This show is "Made for TV & Pure Entertainment."

Until someone knows how to create a "show" where they can get some serious tests done and better controlled variables, all we will continue to see is entertaining results..

Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-15-10 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-15-10, 09:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Like I said.. it’s a Show...

The fact that I own an IS-F is irrelevant.

If they wanted to gives us better results, they wouldn't be using the tests with mistakes/botched attempts on launching or braking.

As far as the IS-F show, driving the F in normal auto mode was asinine..

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I know you are an IS-F owner, but to be completely fair to the show.

Only playing fair here.

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-15-10 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-15-10, 09:51 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I agree.

Tanner screwed up 2 of the 3 launches last night in the LFA where he sat there as the R8 got a 3 - 4 car length lead. It should be a good clean start for each car, but maybe they go with the one-try rule.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Like I said.. it’s a Show...

The fact that I own an IS-F is irrelevant.

If they wanted to gives us better results, they wouldn't be using the tests with mistakes/botched attempts on launching or braking.

As far as the IS-F show, driving the F in normal auto mode was asinine..
Old 10-15-10, 09:54 AM
LexFather

There is no one universal testing standard. All we can do is look at as many tests as possible to come to conclusions and if lucky personal experience with it.

I really think Tanner and Paul were very complimetary to the LFA and to be honest I'm happy with how the show came out.

An embarrasing showing was the R8tt vs the Evo tuned 911 997.2 . That was murder!!
Old 10-15-10, 09:56 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Tanner did say he used 'launch control' for the 0 - 100 - 0 mph run where LFA got off to a perfect start since the computer limits wheelspin.

I am sure he used neutral dropping in the other two runs which is very well known to be a flawed method to launch the LFA considering it takes a few split seconds for the computer to react to go from neutral to 1st gear.

There is no one universal testing standard. All we can do is look at as many tests as possible to come to conclusions and if lucky personal experience with it.

I really think Tanner and Paul were very complimetary to the LFA and to be honest I'm happy with how the show came out.

An embarrasing showing was the R8tt vs the Evo tuned 911 997.2 . That was murder!!

True. Tanner kept calling LFA "superior to any car on planet earth around a road course" and also Paul Tracy kept calling LFA the "greatest supercar ever built" LOL.

I think it was great marketing for Lexus.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-15-10 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-15-10, 11:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's pretty much how i see it, there is no universal standard or metric, no matter how people do it, one side of the party will yell and screen anyway, i guarantee you that.

that's why to be very honest, i care less about any of these shows. the m3/isf ep, and yesterday's lfa/r8 episode? i didn't bother to remember or watch any of them (and i own m3). i just watched clips of them after reading threads here and ran into the videos.

and even when i watch (i did ran into the show a few times when flipping through channels), i watched for pure entertainment and never care about the results. if you think the tests are so flawed and incorrect, honestly i see absolutely zero point in discussing the results.

so far from what i have read? i think the best part of the show was tanner complimenting on the lfa. everything else is simply out of the window for me
Old 10-15-10, 12:00 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where to watch the episode online? Links please? I don't have SPEED channel. Just want to hear the roar of that V10.
Old 10-15-10, 01:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Does anyone know where to watch the episode online? Links please? I don't have SPEED channel. Just want to hear the roar of that V10.
I don't know why, but the sound was muted a lot. Speed needs to put mics and stuff in the cabin and around the car to create some visual "drama" and sensory overload.

I have the episode on my DVR in HD. However, it is not easy to download from DVR to computer since the tuner card is not recognizable by the computer hence does not see the files.
Old 10-15-10, 01:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
that's pretty much how i see it, there is no universal standard or metric, no matter how people do it, one side of the party will yell and screen anyway, i guarantee you that.

that's why to be very honest, i care less about any of these shows. the m3/isf ep, and yesterday's lfa/r8 episode? i didn't bother to remember or watch any of them (and i own m3). i just watched clips of them after reading threads here and ran into the videos.

and even when i watch (i did ran into the show a few times when flipping through channels), i watched for pure entertainment and never care about the results. if you think the tests are so flawed and incorrect, honestly i see absolutely zero point in discussing the results.

so far from what i have read? i think the best part of the show was tanner complimenting on the lfa. everything else is simply out of the window for me
Bingo..... The funny thing is and it really is funny if we think about it, all this arguing done, over years on the internet
-most people don't/can't buy the car
-most people already have in their minds what they want
-which means all these tests and comparos don't mean much to buyers
-as the car gets more expensive their is a greater likelihood the owner has multiple competing cars so its a moot point

Like you said its entertainment and in some cases some great reading. These cars are all so evenly matched its all about what you want.

As a longtime Lexus owner its just amazing to see Lexus where they are today.
Old 10-15-10, 02:26 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know they did the 0 - 100 - 0 test LFA vs R8 twice just to see how things would go. The results?

The LFA got nearly identical results to what it did initially. The R8? It stopped a massive 17 feet ahead of the LFA, losing by a long shot.

The brakes in the LFA hold up 10 times better against the R8 during bouts of repeated braking.

The R8 won the first one by a measly 2 feet, and then lost the 2nd one by 17 feet, and would presumably lose the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. by ~17 feet.

They didn't show this on the actual episode, but there is a video of it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Mf-VQ8bEQ
Old 10-15-10, 02:33 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Overall, the show had some very good moments.

Still, no way to launch the car and Tanner was using neutral dropping.

However, I was very disappointed in the top speed run where R8 V10 won by 1 mile. Tanner was saying the wing cost him 6 - 8 mph easily and there was no way he could lower the wing. He was definitely right about that. It did again bring the question of too much downforce on the LFA again much like SportAuto.

In the one mile race, again a screwed up launch (Tanner admitted to dropping the ball in the launch), but LFA reeled it back in and won at a speed of 167 mph.

1 mile result:

LFA: 30.58 secs@167 mph

R8 V10: 30.64@166.1 mph

Out of the three launch, only one launch worked properly for Tanner in the 0 - 100 - 0 mph and got an easy lead of 3 - 4 car lengths, but tanner lost because he did not start braking until after 100 mph.

The road course is where the LFA won clearly despite again a screwed up launch giving R8 a clear 3 - 4 car lead.

There should have been a 60 - 130 mph test just like in other episodes and I am sure LFA would have beaten it very badly.
This is actually incorrect. If you watch the video I posted in my previous message, you'll see that Tanner actually hit the nail right on the head and braked right when he hit 100.0 MPH. You can't get any more perfect than that.

Paul actually braked when the Audi was at 102 MPH and won the first bout by 2 feet.

But, like I said, the R8 lost the 2nd one by a massive 17 feet due to brake fade. The LFA has vastly more powerful (in terms of robustness) brakes - and this is really critical on a long road course. That should be what matters, so if you take that into consideration, the LFA is clearly superior to the R8 in the area of braking "overall."

Sure, on the first bout of a straight 0 to 100 to 0 test the Audi will win the braking wars, but what good is it if that advantage only holds up for one bout? Supercars aren't meant to be raced a single time in a straight line. Robustness matters, and this is where the LFA outshines the R8.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)