LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 12:09 AM
isFiend
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my thoughts...

although some here are disappointed by exterior, or performance, i think the car is a GREAT achievement for lexus/toyota.

looks - i think it looks GREAT, in and out. i personally don't like the red on the steering wheel, but i'm sure there will be options as far as colors for things like that. heck, given the exclusivity, whoever the lucky buyers end up being will probably have a lot of decisions to make on choices.

performance - GREAT, even though we're only going by lexus numbers, and they may well be very conservative. i personally don't care whether it's 3, 3.5, 4, or 4.5 seconds 0-60 - any of those is freaking fast, and bordering on insane to use on public roads. and top speed, forget it. maybe good for bragging rights, but for me, it's about the EXPERIENCE/FEELING of driving it, not the specs.

experience - from the car magazine review (great piece, btw), i think it's a critical, but praiseworthy review, and they really do like the car, although they're not too keen on the transmission or brakes, but heck, we've got 18 months until one of these is delivered so lexus will undoubtedly work on it!

price - if this car is north of $300k in the u.s., then that really is madness, and pretty much no matter how good the car is, it doesn't make sense because it's so far out of whack with the rest of the product line. this halo might as well be in heaven for as remote as it will be from the rest. the NSX was viewed as pricey when it came out, and even accounting for inflation, it was WAY cheaper than the LFA is likely to be.

intangibles - if i were to sit in and drive an LFA, and then sit in and drive a 430 scuderia for example, i expect my thoughts on the LFA would be - i feel at home and familiar, it being a lexus, and the car is very impressive, but the banshee engine whail, the handling, the clunky transmission are absolutely, positively NOT lexus-like. in the 430 scuderia, even before i've turned it on, i'd think about the HISTORY... how long Ferrari has been at this game. what the ferrari may lack in techno glitz, it most likely more, more, MORE than offsets that in the feel of a no-nonsense street legal RACE CAR, with unique, and some might say quirky features and design, others might say soul/character, but very italian, very passionate, and a soul-stirring drive. i've been in a 360 at least, and experienced some of that. i've been in a GT3, awesome car, but not quite the same.

availability - i'm most disappointed by reading that it's gonna be another 18 months until this baby actually shows up anywhere. that's just too long IMO...

as a 'halo' - i don't think it makes any sense as a lexus, but maybe the car is basically a showcase for toyota, but they decided to make it a lexus to have GREAT dealerships to sell it through. to me it is only a game changer for lexus if it is the real beginning of a less than glacial march to have more sporty models in the line-up. i have no problem with lexus continuing to have cushy, comfy, very refined vehicles too, but offer some actual fun too, beyond ONE MODEL right now (IS-F). if they do this, they will become a much more serious competitor to mercedes and bmw.

speaking of bmw, anyone else notice the LFA V10 has similar HP/TQ to an M5? of course the M5 is 1200lbs heavier...

in the end, a few lucky, very wealthy individuals (or with interesting priorities ) will own an LFA, eventually, and will be enthralled with it.

CONGRATS to Lexus.

I care if it's 4 or 4.5.

Hell, a near stock IS 350 has been shown to hit 4.5 0 to 60 (juice14g). Yeah 4.5 is fast for a stock vehicle, but not mind blowingly freakish $500,000 USD fast.

IS-F is teetering on low 4s to 60 and costs a fraction of the price.

And by the way tenths of a second make a tremendous difference at this level. Below 5 seconds 0 to 60, tenths of a second matter. Below 4 seconds, they REALLY matter. The difference between 3.1 and 3.6 or 3.7 is substantial.

Performance wise where the LFA shines is in its near 50:50 weight distribution ratio, but even that isn't class leading/new, porsche has been doing it for years.

Fortunately for me, I have absolutely no loyalties to any car brand. I drive a lexus now because I felt it was the best product for me at the price, and I have no regrets.

Personally, if I was looking into supercars on the order of $350k+, the LFA would be relatively low on my list right now. I don't care that it's a Lexus. I'm not going to jock it just because I drive a Lexus right now.

All of these issues could've been solved with more appropriate pricing and availability.

If the LFA cost $70,000-$150,000 and availability was much greater, I'd have considered it to be a solid effort/"success".

If the LFA cost $70k-$150k, had 650-700 bhp, had 0 to 60 in 3.1, maintained its near 50:50 weight distribution, I would've considered it to be a mind blowing success and a phenomenally fierce competitor.

Am I seriously the only one who's thoroughly unimpressed by a v10 supercar with so much hype putting out only 550 bhp.

130 more bhp and LESS torque than the IS-F for on the order of 10 times the price.

Couldn't they have given it 4xx ft-lb torque at least?
Old 10-21-09, 12:39 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by isFiend
Am I seriously the only one who's thoroughly unimpressed by a v10 supercar with so much hype putting out only 550 bhp.
No you are not the only one. While I am impressed by the design of the car and I say two thumbs up, I am not impressed by the figures. For 550bhp, $400k and all the hype I expected at least 3.1 sec 0-60mph times.....not only that...TOYOTA will lose money on every LF-A produced....the biggest problem is the $400k price
Old 10-21-09, 12:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
No you are not the only one. While I am impressed by the design of the car and I say two thumbs up, I am not impressed by the figures. For 550bhp, $400k and all the hype I expected at least 3.1 sec 0-60mph times.....
Thats probably not even possible without slicks or AWD. The car clearly wasn't even built for 0-60, its a high revving track oriented car, and its 3.7 0-60 time is nothing short of incredible. A 3.1 0-60 time is Formula 1 playing field, you realize that, right?

not only that...TOYOTA will lose money on every LF-A produced....
Thats right, Toyota knowingly built it knowing that they will loose money. But it will gain them much needed love amongst enthusiasts.

the biggest problem is the $400k price
To the people that will buy it, the $400k price is probably the least of the problems.
Old 10-21-09, 12:54 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

and its 3.7 0-60 time is nothing short of incredible
I guess the Nissan GTR is super incredible because it is faster....also the the R8 does the 0-60mph sprint in 3.8 sec....I guess that is short of incredible...but those cars do it for half the price.

Originally Posted by Och
A 3.1 0-60 time is Formula 1 playing field, you realize that, right?
You do realize that the GTR can do 0-60mph in 3.2 sec or so as it has been claimed. You do realize that, right?
Old 10-21-09, 01:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I guess the Nissan GTR is super incredible because it is faster....also the the R8 does the 0-60mph sprint in 3.8 sec....I guess that is short of incredible...
Did I ever say GTR or R8 weren't incredible?

but those cars do it for half the price.
Ok, try to understand something. If Honda was to release the new civic, which in spec wasn't even that much different from the current model, but they were only to make 500 of them, the Civic would probably have to sell for $70K+ to start breaking even.

You do realize that the GTR can do 0-60mph in 3.2 sec or so as it has been claimed. You do realize that, right?
Well first of all its not an official time, and when LFA comes out, theres a chance that someone somewhere might be able to squeeze 3.2 sec 0-60 out of it.

And then remember, that for a good 0-60 run it is very important to have a perfect launch and have great traction. GTR has launch control and AWD going for it. Plus its a torque beast. If it was RWD, do you think it would be capable of running these times?

Now, if I know a thing or two about cars, I'm very sure that at high speeds, 120mph or more the high revving LFA will outshine the GTR.

Just try to realize that GTR and LFA are very very different, and both are amazing in their own right.
Old 10-21-09, 01:17 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Did I ever say GTR or R8 weren't incredible?.
Well you didn't say that they were nothing short of incredible did you?

I should correct you...The LFA/R8 numbers are incredible....the GTR numbers are nothing short of incredible.

[
Well first of all its not an official time, and when LFA comes out, theres a chance that someone somewhere might be able to squeeze 3.2 sec 0-60 out of it.
Lexus.com states 3.6 seconds....its official. End of story!

GTR has launch control and AWD going for it. Plus its a torque beast.
I don't care what it has...you snooze you lose...and for $400,000 Lexus could not of added something similar.....the should of put KDSS on the LF-A....then you could really one upped Nissan LMAO
Old 10-21-09, 01:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by isFiend

130 more bhp and LESS torque than the IS-F for on the order of 10 times the price.

Couldn't they have given it 4xx ft-lb torque at least?
the above quote pretty much tells me all about how much you are blinded by the whole hp thing and don't know much about gearing, efficiency, and performance

having more tq and? does that mean the car will be faster? not at all. you don't even understand the idea behind a high rev engine with very short gears.

maybe you can explain this. the isf and m3 both have pretty much the same hp (414 vs 416), but the isf has significantly more tq (371 vs 295). both cars are also about the same weight. so are you trying to tell me that the isf is considerably FASTER? obviously the fact is no, and can you tell me why? let me give you a hint, the isf redline is around 6400rpm, and m3 is around 8200 or 8400rpm

and fwiw, someone did some calculation before, a f1 car has what, merely 270tq, now that must be one freaking slow car. that's under you know its redline is like close to 20krpm?

you just simply look at hp and tq numbers and make decision from there. can't blame you, that's how a lot of people do it now coz' of marketing, but from a true performance point of view, one needs to understand that there are so much more to real performance. weight, distribution, suspension, gearing, rev, they all contribute to how a car perform
Old 10-21-09, 01:19 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LFA pumpkin says Happy Halloween

to celebrate the official reveal

Old 10-21-09, 01:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I should correct you...The LFA/R8 numbers are incredible....the GTR numbers are nothing short of incredible.

I don't care what it has...you snooze you lose...and for $400,000 Lexus could not of added something similar.....the should of put KDSS on the LF-A....then you could really one upped Nissan LMAO
You just aren't getting that LFA and GTR are entirely different.
Old 10-21-09, 01:39 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
You just aren't getting that LFA and GTR are entirely different.
And you aren't getting the point that the LFA numbers are lukewarm and on par average compared to other supercars that cost less.
Old 10-21-09, 01:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

And you aren't getting the point that the LFA numbers are lukewarm and on par average compared to other supercars that cost less.
Ok, so we concluded that LFA is overpriced, lukewarm, average, on par, blah blah blah. Thanks for educating me.
Old 10-21-09, 03:30 AM
xioix
Racer

Lexus stated mid 5s for the IS350 but we have seen reviews of it in high 4s, so if you want to compare magazine times then wait till magazine reviews come out, and where is the official price? I've still seen estimates
Old 10-21-09, 03:39 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On to the headlights

Headlights must be seen in person to appreciate it. They are awesomely 3d sculptured with narrower part being recessed, kind a like Evo X, while projector is wrapped around in a sphere. Top part of headlight flows with the body. Headlights are indeed amazing and million miles away from ugly.
Old 10-21-09, 04:09 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LFA for $375K

Just revealed the price tag of $375K and Toyota claims that each unit (500) will be sold at a loss... true, if you consider the R&D that went into the vehicle and all the manpower put in, but honestly... $375K?

Exotic price tag, but still would not consider it an "exotic" even though it's limited production.

Competent
Reliable (probably, from Lexus)
Good looking (personal opinion)
Turn heads
Price

Jay Leno will get one of the 500 for sure, but not sure where this vehicle will fit into the world of super cars and if it will be truly accepted.

If I had the money, I'd probably opt for a Lamborghini instead to be honest.

Who would have figured 30 years ago a Japanese maker making a $375K vehicle. What next, Hyundai coming out with a $150K car?
Old 10-21-09, 04:10 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

lol, what is up with cars having faces now , like the whole Mazda line up now filled with smiles except for the Miata and RX-8.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)