LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 10:26 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Even the demo cars don't perform identically. For instance, the yellow one (last prototype shipped on August 4th 2010) is vastly improved over the white one (first prototype shipped in November of 2009). Even the interior fit and finish in the yellow one is significantly better than the year old white prototype.

Some of the changes confirmed that are happening for the prod car are:

- New final production spec tires Bridgestone finished building last month as all LFA were on temporary S001 Potenza tires.
- Transmission tweaks were happening on a weekly basis in the last few months alongwith software modifications.
- Suspension was getting tweaked and recalibrated as well along the way.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
For what it's worth, I'd buy an LFA in a second if I could. I'm not expecting the the production cars to be any faster, because I fail to see what the vast difference will be between the demo cars. That being said, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised, than disappointed. Again.
No need to prance all over the internet hyping the LFA, it speaks well enough for itself IMO.
Old 12-10-10, 03:04 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAh

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG. Dude, you seriously need to get a grip. It also seems that reading comprehension is beyond you.

For what it's worth, I'd buy an LFA in a second if I could. I'm not expecting the the production cars to be any faster, because I fail to see what the vast difference will be between the demo cars. That being said, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised, than disappointed. Again.
No need to prance all over the internet hyping the LFA, it speaks well enough for itself IMO.
Big useless spaces between your internet laughter and your actual post. I get it, you were trying to be funny. haha, I laughed with you. I was joking as much as you were. You didn't get the ferrarichat thing did you? Over there people were saying that C&D were biased because the LFA scored better than the 599HGTE. I don't go around the net hyping up a car I have no chance of purchasing. I'm just here to talk about it. here's a new video I found. Not sure how new, but it wasn't posted until today...

Scott Pruett in a LFA at Fontana Speedway in California. He hits 178mph on the banking, damn near 300kmh, in no time. Remember those tests where they said the LFA took over 50 seconds to hit 300kmh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_nuTlzeUHs
Old 12-10-10, 06:21 PM
LexFather

Okay everyone lets relax and knock off the personal attacks, bait and flames.
Old 12-10-10, 06:48 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Even the demo cars don't perform identically. For instance, the yellow one (last prototype shipped on August 4th 2010) is vastly improved over the white one (first prototype shipped in November of 2009). Even the interior fit and finish in the yellow one is significantly better than the year old white prototype.

Some of the changes confirmed that are happening for the prod car are:

- New final production spec tires Bridgestone finished building last month as all LFA were on temporary S001 Potenza tires.
- Transmission tweaks were happening on a weekly basis in the last few months alongwith software modifications.
- Suspension was getting tweaked and recalibrated as well along the way.
Lets make something clear. Just because the prototype cars are made at different times doesn't mean they have different parts or drive completely differently. Everytime there is a new software or hardware update, do you really think Lexus is going to keep one car outdate?. Both existing US LFA's go back home to Lexus HQ after events to get updated with the latest.
Old 12-10-10, 09:06 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome video. Simply love it. One of the best ever!!! Although, nearly all speedos are fairly optimistic at very high speeds so LFA might have an optimistic speedo as well.

So was there anyone at Ferrarichat who had was not operating somewhere in la-la land and was willing to give LFA its due credit of simply being the superior car. I mean, what is the difficult part here?? LFA is lighter, better handling (even with the $30,000 handling package it could not match the LFA), better braking and even better at acceleration while being more engaging. Not to mention the interior was far more luxurious and special in LFA.

Do they not understand that C&D is the biggest Ferrari fanboi in the world where they have almost never lost a comparo no matter how underperforming a Ferrari is while they never awarded Lexus a win and almost always bash Lexus placing it near the bottom.

It only shows if a hardcore Ferrari fan like C&D could not resist giving the win to LFA, that shows how much superior it is to the 599 GTB.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Big useless spaces between your internet laughter and your actual post. I get it, you were trying to be funny. haha, I laughed with you. I was joking as much as you were. You didn't get the ferrarichat thing did you? Over there people were saying that C&D were biased because the LFA scored better than the 599HGTE. I don't go around the net hyping up a car I have no chance of purchasing. I'm just here to talk about it. here's a new video I found. Not sure how new, but it wasn't posted until today...

Scott Pruett in a LFA at Fontana Speedway in California. He hits 178mph on the banking, damn near 300kmh, in no time. Remember those tests where they said the LFA took over 50 seconds to hit 300kmh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_nuTlzeUHs

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-10-10 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-11-10, 04:53 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the LFA speedo is optimistic really. Remember the Battle of the Supercars episode? They showed the LFA speedo was very accurate. In fact I remember that being talked about in some demo drives in other videos. Scott Pruett knows his stuff too, I'm sure he knows that speedway and road course like it's the back of his hand. He should know the speeds and braking points. I liked how he was reading off the speeds too, the LFA gets up pretty good!
Old 12-11-10, 08:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I was talking most cars having optimistic speedos as a safety net by manufacturers, but LFA's speedo is dead accurate then that did look very very quick to 170+ mph in less than 28 seconds. Very impressive if that is the case.

The video is almost surreal and with the sunset in the background, engine screaming, tilted car leftwards, almost like a spaceship travelling towards the sun.

Originally Posted by TF109B
I don't think the LFA speedo is optimistic really. Remember the Battle of the Supercars episode? They showed the LFA speedo was very accurate. In fact I remember that being talked about in some demo drives in other videos. Scott Pruett knows his stuff too, I'm sure he knows that speedway and road course like it's the back of his hand. He should know the speeds and braking points. I liked how he was reading off the speeds too, the LFA gets up pretty good!
Old 12-14-10, 07:11 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LFA Seat belts

The Airbag seat belts in the LFA will come from Takata. The airbags are inflated in the case of frontal or side collision and aim to reduce the forces applied to the occupants' chest. In the event of a side collision, the airbag helps to control the movement of the head.

Source: Response magazine via Japanese Car design corner
Old 12-14-10, 07:14 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus LFA using JSR adhesive for CFRP

Lexus LFA's chassis and bodywork are constructed using Carbon Fibre Reinforced Polymer (CFRP), supplied by Toho Tenax, and bonding is achieved by using JSR's polyurethane adhesive. Despite the high cost, CFRP not only enables the car to have a much lower weight, but also provides high strength and rigidity. As a result, there is a very positive impact on the car's crash safety performance. JSR's polyurethane adhesive has been selected for bonding due to its fatigue and impact resistance characteristics, as well as its peeling off adhesive power. Since the material can be selected to suit the application, ranging from soft to very hard, it contributes to design flexibility. This bonding method allows stress distribution and therefore, it provides high structural strength and improved durability.
Source: Response magazine via Japanese Car design corner
Old 12-16-10, 10:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The LFA has had the same exact tire since it first came out. The only thing is that Bridgestone didn't have a name for the tire back in late 2009 which is why the tires just said "Bridgestone" and nothing else. It's been confirmed that the OE tire for the LFA will be the Potenza S001.

265/35ZR20 (95Y) Front $353.00 (on Tire Rack)
305/30ZR20 (99Y) Rear $409.00 (on Tire Rack)

We should be hearing more info about this in the coming days. Here are pics I took of the Whitest White Euro-spec LFA back at the Miami LFA Press Event in October 2009:

Here is the Pearl Yellow LFA when it first came to the USA back in August 2010. Note the tire model.

On the stand at the San Francisco Auto Show last month:

Old 12-16-10, 01:30 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Wink

^^ Ok Ryan.. I broke the news a while back..

I think I posted that like almost 2 months ago bro..... I am not going to go look for the posts..

Ah heck I will..

See post # 2892

and

See post # 2895

.. and a whole bunch more after that sequence..

Joe Z
Old 12-16-10, 01:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's pretty cheap price for the tires for what they are
Old 12-16-10, 01:52 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl
that's pretty cheap price for the tires for what they are
Well.. don't forget they are "Bespoke"...

Old 12-16-10, 07:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I wrote extensively about this once before.

The S001 is a standard Max performance tire by Bridgestone. The Ferrari 458 Italia's standard equipment tire is S001 (it's own design, much like for the LFA). It is very similar to how Pilot PS2 tires have many custom variants for different cars.

Yet, Ferrari always equips the 458 Italia with the extra cost optional custom-built PS2 tires on the 458 when they send them to journalists in all track tests, which shows they have far more faith in the PS2.

I never agreed with Lexus contracting Bridgestone to supply tires for such an exotic car. They needed to get one of the top tier brands such as, Pirelli, Michelin Pilot Cup + etc. to supply the tires.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Well.. don't forget they are "Bespoke"...

Old 12-16-10, 09:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I wrote extensively about this once before.

The S001 is a standard Max performance tire by Bridgestone. The Ferrari 458 Italia's standard equipment tire is S001 (it's own design, much like for the LFA). It is very similar to how Pilot PS2 tires have many custom variants for different cars.

Yet, Ferrari always equips the 458 Italia with the extra cost optional custom-built PS2 tires on the 458 when they send them to journalists in all track tests, which shows they have far more faith in the PS2.

I never agreed with Lexus contracting Bridgestone to supply tires for such an exotic car. They needed to get one of the top tier brands such as, Pirelli, Michelin Pilot Cup + etc. to supply the tires.
i absolutely agree, especially when it seems like the tires put quite some limitation on what the car can deliver

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)