LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Old 10-08-10, 11:00 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

They definitely do since the presenter states Michelin sponsors the program and supplies PS2 tires for the cars in "Battle of the supercars".

In last night's episode, the Viper Venom roasted its tires (which were PS2 tires) when the brakes locked out on Paul. The presenter stated clearly "luckily Michelin has provided us with extra PS2 tires for emergencies".

Around Nurburgring, having racing super-slick tires can easily shave off 10 seconds or more. That is a well known fact.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Who's clutching at straws? That makes no sense whatsoever. I think were just enthusiastic to see the LFA's real performance in acceleration tests. Seeing as how it's around the same power to weight ratio as the 458, I think it's reasonable to believe it should perform close to the 458. Maybe you feel demo cars give off the performance that the production one's will, but i don't believe that's correct. Like I said, tires make a hell of a difference. If Battle of the Supercars uses the Michellin's on each of their cars like they have with every other episode, perhaps the LFA gets a little bit of a boost from actually GOOD tires instead of the bridgestone's it was wearing? It's not a myth that tires can do the trick.
Old 10-08-10, 11:07 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, he flat spotted those tires quite easily. I think he said they were using Michellin Pilot sport and cup tires! Those Cup tires are basically race tires for the street. Which could explain why he flat spotted them so easily! If they were anymore street tire they wouldn't have a flat spot from a lock up, regardless if it was at 100mph. These things are basically race tires. Anyone who watches racing can tell that when you have a lock up race tires can get a flat spot. Which is exactly what happened on last nights episode. To me this confirms the tires used are definitely semi-slicks at least. If the LFA is on them so is the R8, so there's no 'tire excuse' this is why the LFA spanks it. Equal shoes shows the performance of the car.
Old 10-08-10, 05:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I did notice there is one race where Paul Tracy most likely jumped on Tanner in the LFA.

It was that clip where LFA was half a car length behind and then passing rapidly the R8 V10 as Paul was giggling like a criminal on the run and saying "this is going to be close" and it most likely was the rolling start 60 - 130 mph race and in the clip it was about to end.

The reason why I think Paul jumped the 60 - 130 mph race is because LFA was launching harder on all standing start drag races in the clips so it can't be the standing start race. Then they also showed LFA crossing the finish line about 8 - 10 car lengths ahead of the R8 V10, which was most likely the standing start 1/2 mile race or it could be the rolling start 1 mile race (where LFA reached 185 mph) since LFA completely made a minced meat out of the R8 V10.

That is why I think Tracy jumped exactly the 60 - 130 mph race against Tanner in the LFA, but still LFA managed to pass it before the end of the race. We will see if my guess is true or not this week.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-08-10 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-08-10, 06:52 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Those guys jump each other on the start every episode it seems, so you're probably right. If the LFA reaches 185mph it's gotta be the rolling mile, I don't think it'd hit 185mph in one mile. I donno, maybe it will, or maybe that's the 2mile top speed run. We'll see soon enough though. I'm really gonna look forward to this episode, it's definitely going to be the best one yet!
Old 10-08-10, 09:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Usually, the jump is when a car is losing badly so the driver "becomes" frustrated and decides to jump a race.

It must be that LFA is beating the R8 V10 so badly that Paul decided to jump the 60 - 130 mph rolling start race, but LFA still passed it before 130 mph.

The rolling-mile is definitely in there considering LFA hit 185 mph. Usually the standing drag race goes up to 1/2 mile.

So what do you reckon will be the tests?

Here is mine:

1 - 0 - 100 - 0 mph acceleration/braking test

2 - Standing 1/2 mile drag race

3 - 1 mile rolling start race

4 - Head to head road course track lap

5 - Individual laps or top speed runs

Those guys jump each other on the start every episode it seems, so you're probably right. If the LFA reaches 185mph it's gotta be the rolling mile, I don't think it'd hit 185mph in one mile. I donno, maybe it will, or maybe that's the 2mile top speed run. We'll see soon enough though. I'm really gonna look forward to this episode, it's definitely going to be the best one yet!
Old 10-08-10, 10:09 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I agree with you. I definitely see the 0-100-0 test going on. Then of course there has to be at least a one mile test for the LFA to hit 185mph. So it's either that roll out one mile or the top speed run, however long that is. I think they run head to head on the track though. I don't think the individual laps will happen. It might, but it doesn't matter much to me. Time attack would be cool, I figure the LFA would win either one, with either driver. So yeah, Tracy was probably trying to save face.
Old 10-08-10, 11:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Then again, I think the race in which LFA crossed the finish line about 8 - 10 car lengths ahead was the 1/2 mile standing start drag race and LFA made absolute minced meat out of the R8 V10 in that. I reckon the speed in that 1/2 mile race would be around 150 - 155 mph.

The rolling 1 mile acceleration test is usually solo/individual for definitely safety reasons to avoid the two cars colliding into each other (again, consistent with the footage we saw of LFA doing solo pass at very high speeds).

Then the 0 - 100 - 0 mph from the footage we saw seems to be a toss up since LFA did accelerate much faster uptill 100 mph and gained a 3 car lead and then for reasons only God knows did not start braking until R8 V10 started braking making it likely that R8 V10 might end up winning this test.

I agree with you. I definitely see the 0-100-0 test going on. Then of course there has to be at least a one mile test for the LFA to hit 185mph. So it's either that roll out one mile or the top speed run, however long that is. I think they run head to head on the track though. I don't think the individual laps will happen. It might, but it doesn't matter much to me. Time attack would be cool, I figure the LFA would win either one, with either driver. So yeah, Tracy was probably trying to save face.
Old 10-09-10, 07:06 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

That's Tanner for you. He'll see 100mph then brake a bit after. His reaction speed isn't what i think Tracy's is. Tracy gets on it. And most times he's the winner in the braking test. I think it's his open wheel career, he's on point, even though they both talk smack, Paul Tracy with good equipment was usually at or near the top in his career.

I donno if the shot where the LFA passes Tracy and he has the smirk is the half mile or the 60-130mph I think they'll do either or, maybe both but I'm not sure.
Old 10-09-10, 11:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, like I stated it could not have been the half mile race since the footage in which LFA was crossing the finish line 8 - 10 car lengths ahead makes far more sense for a half mile race that will have the LFA at a terminal speed of 155 - 160 mph by the 1/2 mile mark. Even if the R8 V10 jumped the start, 1/2 mile race (2640 feet) is way too long for LFA to easily pull away from the R8.

60 - 130 mph is the only one I could think of since the LFA is passing the R8 and seemed like the race was about to finish as Paul said "this is going to be close". It has to be the 60 - 130 mph.

That's Tanner for you. He'll see 100mph then brake a bit after. His reaction speed isn't what i think Tracy's is. Tracy gets on it. And most times he's the winner in the braking test. I think it's his open wheel career, he's on point, even though they both talk smack, Paul Tracy with good equipment was usually at or near the top in his career.

I donno if the shot where the LFA passes Tracy and he has the smirk is the half mile or the 60-130mph I think they'll do either or, maybe both but I'm not sure.
Old 10-10-10, 02:18 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Probably is the 60-130mph test then. I bet that goes with Tracy saying he's gotta get whatever he can or whatever he said. But seeing his face as the LFA passed, it had to be a close race, and usually that test only takes a few seconds. At most 9-10 seconds. With the power these cars are making it's probably closer to 7 seconds. I think the 185mph was reached in the roll out mile. Not sure how long that runway is they were on, but I'm assuming it's a good mile or two, so if it is 2 miles they'll have to cut it off at 1 mile for enough room to slow down. It's going to be interesting to say the least.
Old 10-10-10, 11:54 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Doing a little research, it seems we were right about a couple tests.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...t_filming.html

Drivers ran the Audi and the Lexus in a flat-out speed trial, 184 and 185 mph respectively, in a zero-to-100-and-back-to-zero test of brakes and acceleration and on a twisty road-style course laid out near the air base’s control tower.
John M. Aronson, the show’s producer and director, said this is the second time he’s used an Air Force base as a testing ground. Back in February they were at Beale Air Force Base in California. Westover has a runway 11,000 feet long and 300 feet wide.
So the runway is a bit over 2 miles, that lends to the 1 mile test or 1 mile roll out.

This is another excerpt from the same publication

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Some pics here- http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5187883&ref=mf

Last edited by TF109B; 10-11-10 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 03:03 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Doing a little research, it seems we were right about a couple tests.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...t_filming.html
Thanks, I posted that link several pages ago, and this quote from that is concerning:

IndyCar driver Paul Tracy drove the Audi R8 and seemed to be getting the best of Foust in most events, stopping and starting a few feet quicker on the acceleration tests.
For the second Lexus supercar comparo, why not have Tracy drive the Lexus, or are we getting a redux of Tracy beats Tanner...
Old 10-11-10, 09:26 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

in the video's it shows a whole different scenario. Just because Tanner is slow to jump on the brakes when he hits 100mph doesn't mean he'll lose. The LFA just looks faster, IS faster in top speed, probably owns on the track as well. We'll see in 3 days!
Old 10-11-10, 09:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I commented on that before. The guy is basically definitely talking out of his a**. He does not know anything.

If you had seen the 45 second clip in the last "Battle of the supercars", you would have clearly seen LFA was smoking R8 V10 in every clip they were showing including launching clips where LFA was launching as hard as the R8 V10 and then pulling away including a 8 - 10 car length lead to the finish line in one drag race test.

In the road course clip, LFA was ahead by a good 2 - 3 car lengths of the R8 V10.

Originally Posted by encore888
Thanks, I posted that link several pages ago, and this quote from that is concerning:

For the second Lexus supercar comparo, why not have Tracy drive the Lexus, or are we getting a redux of Tracy beats Tanner...
Old 10-11-10, 03:58 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have seen that other LFA commercial that apparently no one else has seen again this weekend. lol.

It was on ESPNU during one of the college football games (same channel as the first time). I guess they are trying to up their cool factor with college kids by looking for their approval.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)