LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 03:00 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Interesting, perhaps some needed flexibility given that the lease plan might not be preferable to those who can afford the car outright.
Originally Posted by rominl
another change in the payment method huh, interesting. i guess they are trying to make things more flexible to attract people. but the no flipping clause is still catchy probably
For me personally, the only problem I had with the forced lease was the forced financing. We were basically required to pay off Lexus Financial Services to the tune of around $20,000 (and that amount is also subject to tax) over the MSRP, effectively pushing the actual base price of the car to somewhere around $400,000. Since the lease was required, it might not have been too difficult to fool the mind into thinking the "real" MSRP was in fact the forced lease total... but at the end of the day, it's not.

I think I mentioned in past posts/threads discussing the lease that the affordability just isn't an issue here. Under the 1Pay forced lease, 75% of the total lease amount is due at delivery anyway. If the alternative is cash purchase at stated MSRP, a buyer would effectively be paying nearly $20,000 interest for a 2-year loan of something like $75,000. That's just silly to even type out much less think about. IMO, Lexus changed this because enough people complained about having to pay off Lexus Financial Services (I sure did).

Now again, I don't know the exact terms yet. Obviously the full cash purchase is only advantageous if it's the MSRP and not the forced 1Pay lease figure.

Last edited by gengar; 07-07-10 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-07-10, 08:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Lady gets to ride shotgun in the LFA at Goodwood! Look at her reaction throughout the entire clip....priceless....she is holding on for her dear life!!
thanks for sharing. loved the shat-eating grin on the driver's face too!
Old 07-07-10, 08:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
For me personally, the only problem I had with the forced lease was the forced financing. We were basically required to pay off Lexus Financial Services to the tune of around $20,000 (and that amount is also subject to tax) over the MSRP, effectively pushing the actual base price of the car to somewhere around $400,000. Since the lease was required, it might not have been too difficult to fool the mind into thinking the "real" MSRP was in fact the forced lease total... but at the end of the day, it's not.

I think I mentioned in past posts/threads discussing the lease that the affordability just isn't an issue here. Under the 1Pay forced lease, 75% of the total lease amount is due at delivery anyway. If the alternative is cash purchase at stated MSRP, a buyer would effectively be paying nearly $20,000 interest for a 2-year loan of something like $75,000. That's just silly to even type out much less think about. IMO, Lexus changed this because enough people complained about having to pay off Lexus Financial Services (I sure did).

Now again, I don't know the exact terms yet. Obviously the full cash purchase is only advantageous if it's the MSRP and not the forced 1Pay lease figure.
good points, i definitely agree. i am not so much about the payment, like you said with their original plan, it was a big lump sum in the very beginning anyway. if anything, their subsequent plan of allowing monthly payment (as s2000tois350 stated) was more of a "relief" by comparison. but i guess to some, the catchy thing is still the no flipping contract, likely for at least 2 years. apparently from what i learned, quite a lot of exotic owners, they do tend to move their cars (not for the profit)

so, gengar, it seems like you are likely to take the cash buyout option?
Old 07-07-10, 09:02 AM
LexFather

gengar thank you for all the updates!
Old 07-08-10, 05:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

5th gear lfa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGL_pG6v9jA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3PBD1aXD8
Old 07-08-10, 06:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

so after watching the video, wow, nice to see the car being pushed this hard! that's awesome!!!! i always like tiff, from the video, can totally see how sensitive the throttle is, and the car just break lose right the way

he did comment on the transmission shifting, another interesting point

looks like he had a lot of fun, oh, and worth every penny
Old 07-08-10, 06:14 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That second video is fantastic... thanks Rominl. You can tell he was luv'n every minute of his drive.
Old 07-08-10, 06:20 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great vids. The car seems to be overly twitchy and oversteer-prone in Tiff's hands though. Is it the car or the driver?
Old 07-08-10, 06:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Great vids. The car seems to be overly twitchy and oversteer-prone in Tiff's hands though. Is it the car or the driver?
i am sure the car (throttle and steering) is very sensitive. other reviews seem to say the same as well, especially the throttle (together with the fact how fast the engine revs up)

but on the other hand i think tiff kind of push the car harder too to get it loose. that seems to be his style of driving a lot of times, kick the car out more and correct it. it does have a lot of cool factor on tv
Old 07-08-10, 06:48 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Yes that's why I thank god I am not into boat or plane, both are unobtainable for regular folks. I know people that like to fly, even getting the pilot license cost a whole lot of time and money!

Cars are easy, if you know cars and know how to take care of it, $20k~$30k can get you a pretty fancy used car. Which is within reach for most folks.
Not into flying. But my next big purchase will probably be a yacht, if I can find somewhere close by to moor it.

Originally Posted by gengar
Just wanted to pass on that Lexus USA has given me the option of outright cash purchase contingent on signing what seems to be a no-flip contract, so it appears they are dropping the forced lease. I don't have the full information of the new terms yet.
Does that mean people from overseas will be able to buy one?
Old 07-08-10, 06:51 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Tiff always pushes the car into oversteer on purpose. I think his issue was with not being able to adjust to a throttle response that is this sensitive. He could not modulate it correctly to bring the car back straight.
Old 07-08-10, 07:37 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Tiff's review of the LFA was far, far better and fair than the Top Gear review of it... I'm starting to dig Fifth Gear's no-nonsense approach to reviewing their cars.
Old 07-08-10, 11:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Does that mean people from overseas will be able to buy one?
hehe, dave, is that giving you SOME ideas?

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I think Tiff's review of the LFA was far, far better and fair than the Top Gear review of it... I'm starting to dig Fifth Gear's no-nonsense approach to reviewing their cars.
haha, that's been the case for a long time imho. top gear reviews / videos (especially by clarkson) a lot of times are for entertainment / jokes / fun. he does give some good points, but when it comes to really about the car, i always think tiff gives better reviews.
Old 07-08-10, 11:38 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hehe, dave, is that giving you SOME ideas?

Yeah, if they do this in other countries where there are right hand drive cars I would definitely investigate further.
Old 07-08-10, 11:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

have you looked into the possibility of getting the car in say hong kong or uk? don't know where else has rhd.

personally i believe lexus still have cars waiting to be sold. i was trying the 866 number randomly and it's still working.

how's your relationship with the lexus dealership? if you know some higher up people, i wonder if you can plead your case and get some attention?

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)