LFA Model (2012)

CAR magazine 10/09 LF-A feature

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 08:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CAR magazine 10/09 LF-A feature

Just saw in the local Borders, CAR October 2009...and on the cover is the LF-A. There is a multipage article inside about the LF-A, followed by another article on Japanese sports cars "the LF-A must live up to" such as the MR-2, GT-R, Supra, etc.

The article does include some details, such as how the top speed reached increased in the 24h races in 2008 and 2009; how Javier Quiros is helping with the development and has ordered 2 LF-A's (one for him and another for his brother). Lots of Goodwood festval shots; evidently the LF-A chief engineer is not a fan of automotive journalists, so he didn't say much.

However he did have this to say, regarding how the LF-A is coming from a company better known for its environmental emphasis (paraphrasing): "There is nothing green in the LF-A other than its light weight."

The article isn't available online though, but they did post the same white spy photos as recently discussed:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...r-draws-near-/

It's definitely a changed impression; the IS-F review take at the back talks about 'the problem with this car was having to take it back' (after the review session ended). Compare with their buyer guide section which calls Lexus a 'highly technical but forgettable' brand, yet praises multiple models.
Attached Thumbnails CAR magazine 10/09 LF-A feature-octobercover.jpg  

Last edited by encore888; 09-24-09 at 08:20 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 09-25-09, 10:07 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Read the mag a couple days ago, was going to post when I had time. It's a good read, definitely worth the buy for any LF-A/Lexus fans (shouldn't you all be subscribed to Evo and CAR - and both the US/UK versions of each, at that - anyway?) and an overwhelmingly positive review, perhaps even too positive - it read more like a 10-page sales brochure than anything else.

Highlights:
  • Perhaps in line with the IS-F, the development emphasis has been on feel, feel, feel - article mentions how good the car is in this regard multiple times
  • Project leader Tanahashi "determined" to make production car weigh less than the 1500kg racecar
  • Weight balance "less than 51% to the rear", according to Tanahashi - so very close to 50/50 I'd imagine, with a slight bias to the rear
  • Quiros believes the car will be "40% better" by production, as they are still fine-tuning various aspects
  • "stunning piece of engineering", "feels visceral and entirely usable at the same time"

Project LF-A's engineers seem convinced that FR (and not MR, and not 4WD) is the way to go. I'm glad that this is the case, because - although I was a Ferrari MR fanboy for quite some time and despite still loving the Evo - my experience driving MR and 4WD cars already has convinced me that FR gives the best driving experience. (Or maybe I just haven't spent enough time in the Scuderia. )

Quiros is interviewed in the gazoo racing doc on the Nur race, btw. I didn't realize he was so involved in the development. And while he of all people certainly deserves to get however many LF-A's he wants, he should leave some for the rest of us!

Last edited by gengar; 09-25-09 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-25-09, 05:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the added details, gengar...I gotta go check out the article again. I'm guessing there will be more features like this when the car actually comes out, as well!
Old 09-26-09, 09:04 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't read the comments on that website. If you want proof that the internet is full of retards, then go ahead and read them. I wish I was a millionaire.
Old 09-27-09, 01:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Really a great read, article is full of some interesting info!

I got the article, and here are some additional highlights to add to what gengar posted:

- LF A Chief Engineer Haruhiko Tanahashi confirmed that the V10 and entire drivetrain were made by the Toyota Group
- Tanahashi might be familiar to some Toyota enthusiasts; he has been with the company for over 30 years, and worked on such cars as the MR-2, Celica, and Supra
- The V10 engine was chosen specifically because "it is compact, quite light, and powerful"
- Over 370 lb-ft torque is confirmed by Tanahashi
- A displacement of 4.8L was chosen for the combination of smoothness and performance
- the 72 degree bank angle was chosen for low inertia moment, weight distribution, and controllability
- 2+2 seating was never considered in the car for performance reasons
- Using a modified IS-F engine was never considered because it was not "bespoke enough" (not exclusive enough) to use in the LF A
- 4WD was not used because Tanahashi feels RWD gives a better "driving experience" and that it is also more reliable in endurance situations; also 4WD is "quite difficult" when driving at the limit
- Dual-clutch gearbox was not used because a sequential manual provides "a more direct feeling of engagement"
- MR layout was not used because it can lead to sometimes-snappy handling at the limit
- At the Nurburgring race in 2008, the race LF-A hit 177 mph; this year at the Nurburgring race the LF-A hit 186 mph with no lift
- the car offers several shift modes that differ in aggressiveness
- The race LF-As used fixed KYB shocks, and Lexus engineers had no comment when asked about adjustable dampers on the production car
- throttle response is instant, the revs yelp and spiral at the slightest touch of the throttle
- the engine sits fully behind the front axle; it protrudes no further than the front axle itself
- the suspension apparently is very easy to tune, and the car responds very well to set-up changes

Here is an interesting quote from Javier Quiros, a Toyota distributor who helped tune and develop the LF-A:

- "You can treat this car badly and it will never be difficult to control"

Related to the quote from Quiros about the car being better by production, he mentioned some of the things they can/will improve upon:

- the engine has huge torque down low, and in the midrange, but not as much at the top end
- the gearbox remains a bit slow and clunky

Very high praise from CAR regarding the chassis:

- "I misjudge the unfamiliar corners, clumsily correct mid-bend and brake too late in places, and the LF-A remains unflustered, staying composed over light crests, unruffled during rapid acceleration changes"
- CAR claims a Lambo would feel edgier, and clumsier handling at the limit, and a F430 Scuderia would not feel as unflappable

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 09-28-09 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-27-09, 02:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Thx for the summary! Looking forward to learning even more...
Old 09-27-09, 02:44 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Those are some huge compliments, and coming from CAR magazine UK, that is no small feat.
Old 10-04-09, 09:29 AM
LexFather

The LF-A got 5 out of 5 stars!!!!

If anyone is interested in the magazine and can't find it, I would be willing to buy and ship to you. Its $10.50 or so here.
Old 10-04-09, 11:38 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Neat, IIRC the IS-F also did quite well in their tests, it was a finalist for their Performance Car of the Year award.
Old 10-04-09, 04:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
Neat, IIRC the IS-F also did quite well in their tests, it was a finalist for their Performance Car of the Year award.
THe IS-F got 5 out of 5 stars as well. They love it and the long term test (they still have it) is full of compliments for the IS-F.

SC and my car (GSh) they don't like so much.
Old 10-11-09, 10:29 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
Read the mag a couple days ago, was going to post when I had time. It's a good read, definitely worth the buy for any LF-A/Lexus fans (shouldn't you all be subscribed to Evo and CAR - and both the US/UK versions of each, at that - anyway?) and an overwhelmingly positive review, perhaps even too positive - it read more like a 10-page sales brochure than anything else.

Highlights:
  • Perhaps in line with the IS-F, the development emphasis has been on feel, feel, feel - article mentions how good the car is in this regard multiple times
  • Project leader Tanahashi "determined" to make production car weigh less than the 1500kg racecar
  • Weight balance "less than 51% to the rear", according to Tanahashi - so very close to 50/50 I'd imagine, with a slight bias to the rear
  • Quiros believes the car will be "40% better" by production, as they are still fine-tuning various aspects
  • "stunning piece of engineering", "feels visceral and entirely usable at the same time"

Project LF-A's engineers seem convinced that FR (and not MR, and not 4WD) is the way to go. I'm glad that this is the case, because - although I was a Ferrari MR fanboy for quite some time and despite still loving the Evo - my experience driving MR and 4WD cars already has convinced me that FR gives the best driving experience. (Or maybe I just haven't spent enough time in the Scuderia. )

Quiros is interviewed in the gazoo racing doc on the Nur race, btw. I didn't realize he was so involved in the development. And while he of all people certainly deserves to get however many LF-A's he wants, he should leave some for the rest of us!
Just one thing.... IIRC the Gazoo racing cars weighed in at 1400kg, not 1500...(Typo by car, or did that come out of the mouth of the engineer?)...... just saying.
Old 10-12-09, 02:40 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Just one thing.... IIRC the Gazoo racing cars weighed in at 1400kg, not 1500...(Typo by car, or did that come out of the mouth of the engineer?)...... just saying.
The article didn't quote Tanahashi; it just said that he wanted the production car to be lighter. The article separately put the weight of the racecar as "around 1500kg".
Old 10-12-09, 04:18 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
The article didn't quote Tanahashi; it just said that he wanted the production car to be lighter. The article separately put the weight of the racecar as "around 1500kg".
Cool. Now that this detail is out of the way, the race car was registered @ 1400kg.
Old 10-13-09, 05:20 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

from 150 left hand units bound to the US, 50 have been already sold since last year going to the dealer owners. That leaves 100 units from 50 states..and each state has at LEAST 4 dealerships, at a bare minimum 4.

For sure some dealerships would never see the car. Plus lexus corporate is doign the entire transaction so it will not go through the regular sales channel distribution. Im guessing it is to prevent dealer markups on exclusive special build vehicles as such with single run or halo-ness. That would detract from lexus customer service philosophy and undermine the entire "lexus purchase" philosophy that encompasses service excellence.

You can pretty much bet that you probably wont ever see anyone else with the same car if you are one of the lucky 100 to get one of these. And each time you go to the dealer, Im betting the GM and staff just fall down to their knees at your disposal. lmao

Im very curious how they design the interior since its pretty obvious how the exterior will look.

The R8 and Aston Martin in my opinion has the best looking interior from supercars/exotic sports cars. Im leaning heavily towards the R8 more because it is just more advanced looking. I hate lambo, ferrari, porsche interiors cuz frankly speaking - its ugly and bare.

Im very looking forward to oct 21 to see how they design the interior.
I was in detroit auto show when they showed LFA-II and i thought it was amazing but again - totally conceptual idea of the interior.

Its obvious lexus will make the center stack similar to the LX/LS design without actually mirroring it off course but im goign to hypothesize the bulk of the stack will be along the shifter area (if there is a shifter) with the controls and buttons/switches leading to the nav in the center dash, similar to the roadster look.
Old 10-13-09, 07:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Just like the exterior will be unlike any Lexus, I think the interior will be unlike any Lexus. It will for sure have some Lexus cues and features in the interior, but IMHO the production interior should resemble the LF-A II concept interior.

You got one thing right though, anyone who owns an LF A is extremely unlikely to see someone else with the same car. Also dealers will certainly go out of their way if you bring your LF A to a specific dealership.

Quick Reply: CAR magazine 10/09 LF-A feature