LFA Model (2012)

2009 Tokyo Auto Show Preview: Production Lexus LF-A Supercar, Toyota-Subaru Seda

Old 03-24-09, 11:35 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2009 Tokyo Auto Show Preview: Production Lexus LF-A Supercar, Toyota-Subaru Seda

[size=10pt]TOKYO — Right on the heels of the announcement that the 2010 British Auto Show is off comes news today from the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association that the 2009 Tokyo Auto Show, slated for late October this year, will be shortened by four days. But at least it's still on — and Toyota will make an extra effort to help stimulate the show-going public, a source tells Inside Line.

Some excitement will be generated by the fact that Toyota's new president, Akio Toyoda, will be taking over in June. Sure to be more interesting to the show-going public is this tidbit: the production version of the 600-horsepower V10-powered Lexus LF-A supercar, our source says, will not make its debut in Frankfurt but instead will be unveiled in Tokyo.

Another highlight of the Toyota stand will be the reveal of a project rumored to have been put on hold — the Toyota-Subaru jointly developed rear-wheel-drive sedan that employs an Impreza platform and drivetrain. To improve mileage and emissions of the current normally aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine, Toyota has developed a unique head unit for the boxer powerplant, said to generate around 220 hp. Toyota will also display a full range of hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles as well as the latest EV and battery technology.

JAMA made the painful decision to cut short the 41st Tokyo Auto Show in large part because of a growing number of no-shows. In addition to the U.S. Big Three, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Renault, Lamborghini, Hino Motors, Isuzu, Mitsubishi Fuso (trucks and buses) and Nissan Diesel have all announced that unprecedented economic conditions are forcing them to cancel their participation.

As the financial crisis continues, this list is expected to grow. Chinese and Korean carmakers will also stay away. That is why JAMA, which earlier this year seriously considered canceling the show altogether, has also decided to downsize the area used from the normal four halls to possibly two at Chiba prefecture's Makuhari Messe site, one hour east of Tokyo.

Originally scheduled to run from October 23 to November 8, the show's new closing date will be November 4.[/size]
source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=144846#2

ffpowerLN says: Although still a rumor from a "source", this is still great news. At least something worth looking forward to for this year's Tokyo Auto Show...
Old 03-24-09, 11:42 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blah, blah, blah. Bring the real.
Old 03-24-09, 12:44 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow. and all this time i thought it was vaporware.

let's see what modifications they made since the last showing....

i hope it's better looking than the Essence
Old 03-24-09, 01:01 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I had thought they nixed plans for the LF-A due to the economy.
Old 03-24-09, 01:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Sweet...

...if true
Old 03-24-09, 02:20 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

we'll see, people have been waiting a very long time.
Old 03-24-09, 02:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Assuming that the Tokyo show goes on, and that this unnamed 'source' quoted by Edmunds is accurate...this is a welcome rumor but I'd like to see more verification...we'll see come Nov.
Old 03-24-09, 02:47 PM
xioix
Racer

Hmm, if it came from Edmunds, I would say that the chance we see a production version of the LF-A is 0 to none
Old 03-24-09, 03:12 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I know we are talking about something more than six months away but it is difficult to read it as bad news if you are waiting for the LF-A. The fact that there hasn't been any "official" cancellation of the LF-A is a good sign. The rumor, reported by Edmunds, that a production version will be at the show in Nov. is also very positive. I won't deny that I do not think that there is as much upside to bringing this model out as others think but that may be my personal prejudice. But if you are seriously waiting to buy one, I am not, then this is good news considering the state of the economy.

The worst part right now is that six months is an eternity in this economy. A few really bad months of sales and nothing will be sacred. To think that this announcement "guarantees" the LF-A in the near future is folly IMO. It sure could be worse if you are looking forward to it. As for me, I would prefer someone start a sticky thread with the projected mid cycle refresh and model replacement dates for Lexus. But that's just me.
Old 03-24-09, 11:15 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Default 600 HP Production LF-A to be unveiled at Tokyo Auto Show

TOKYO — Right on the heels of the announcement that the 2010 British Auto Show is off comes news today from the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association that the 2009 Tokyo Auto Show, slated for late October this year, will be shortened by four days. But at least it's still on — and Toyota will make an extra effort to help stimulate the show-going public, a source tells Inside Line.

Some excitement will be generated by the fact that Toyota's new president, Akio Toyoda, will be taking over in June. Sure to be more interesting to the show-going public is this tidbit: The production version of the 600-horsepower V10-powered Lexus LF-A supercar, our source says, will not make its debut in Frankfurt but instead will be unveiled in Tokyo.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=144846
Old 03-24-09, 11:19 PM
ren495
Pole Position

toyota-subaru coupe also coming, as well as new plug in hybrid and battery technology.

Holly cr@p this better not be an early April fools joke! Can't wait for october!
Old 03-25-09, 01:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...baru-seda.html
Old 03-25-09, 01:14 AM
JessePS

got to wait 7 months oy
Old 03-25-09, 06:27 AM
Koma

Edmunds makes stuff up quite often.
I'll take that article as a grain of salt with it's information about anything regarding the Toyota/Subaru RWD coupe and the production LF-A.
Old 03-25-09, 07:05 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Although not explicitly stated, the comment following that Edmunds article strongly implies that it was written by veteran Japan correspondent Peter Lyon, who has a high credibility rating in my book.

Of course, if the economy gets much worse before it gets better, all bets are off. Nevertheless, on a scale from 1-10, I give this story an 8 as far as the LFA, with a 6 or 7 for the Toyobaru coupe aspect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Tokyo Auto Show Preview: Production Lexus LF-A Supercar, Toyota-Subaru Seda