LFA Model (2012)

New owner...little help

Old 12-05-15, 01:22 PM
529gt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner...little help

Just bought an LFA and over the moon about it. However, car was delivered a week or two back and I found rodent damage under the hood. Car runs fine but one harness needs replacing and the four wheel wells that the mice took insulation from....question is, if I repair those back to oem spec, would it significantly hurt the resale value when and if I sell? LOVE the car!
Old 12-05-15, 08:06 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I strongly doubt it will hurt the resale.

If the repair is done professionally and kept up to stock standards, I see no issues. It is a very minor repair. As it is, LFA is extremely rare and difficult to find. Therefore, the resale is dependent on far bigger factors than small minor repairs.

Congrats on the purchase. Please post some pictures and your impressions of your new LFA.
Old 12-07-15, 07:54 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

You can get the parts replaced just fine. However do order them because they may take some time to arrive. Not all parts for the LFA are in stock in the US. Good luck and hope to see pictures!
Old 12-07-15, 09:33 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

holy cow! not many LFA owners here. rodent damage? every rare exotic has a story. whats this ones?
Old 12-07-15, 12:47 PM
529gt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, a new harness/wheel wells (they have heat insulation that makes for great nesting material) would not be structural at all and are easily replaced with no numbers matching questions.

As I understand it, this owner had a ranch in Texas where he stored his car for an extended period of time and those of you that are familiar with TX know how invasive mice there can be. The good news is that they never seemed to penetrate the interior, they were happy enough nesting on the oil filter case and in the back wheel well and seemed to chew mainly on wiring looms.

The Lexus dealer here in PA did mention how parts are slow to come by....more on that later but the driving experience is truly top notch!!!
Old 12-08-15, 12:12 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you have pics of the car/problem area?
Old 12-09-15, 06:56 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

almost sounds like a barn find. man, could you imagine the thrill of opening a collapsing old musty barn door 30 years from now finding a old LFA covered in dust and cobwebs, and being able to take it home and restore it? I know im going off the subject but thought id add that.

anyway really doesn't sound that bad to me, but yeah parts are going to be tough to find unless you wanted to go aftermarket, that is, if theres anything even around aftermarket for an LFA that exists....
Old 12-09-15, 01:50 PM
529gt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comments, not with the car at the moment but will post pic's when I am back. The car is pearl white with white leather and blue seats and steering wheel. Actually like the color much more than I thought I would. Thought it was the only one with white and blue but saw an add for Paris Hilton's ex car....very similar, don't know if that is a plus or not?! Parts are available but take some time to acquire. Sure it is only going to get tougher going forward.
Old 12-09-15, 04:31 PM
lfahalo
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats the LFA is mind blowing. Can't get enough of mine, it will spoil you though I guarantee that!
Old 12-09-15, 05:40 PM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

I always love coming into the LFA section. So crazy to see even this many owners of such an awesome car in one place. Thank you guys for keeping all of us that can't afford them in the loop
Old 12-10-15, 06:54 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

yep. LFA will always be a special car. sadly it will also never be affordable since so few were made, and giving that lexus holds there value forever, some day, if EVER, one sells for under $100k, it will be in the year 2156.

and they will only get rarer as time goes on because life happens, no matter how well you care for a car, natural selection will still take a few off the roads (wrecks, natural disasters etc), so if you can afford it, id hang onto it forever, cause A, youll probably never find another one, and B if anything as time goes on they will GAIN value because they are so rare.

the LFA is a lifetime car. if I got one id keep it till I died. and I have a feeling that many other owners feel the same way. in a heated garage, under a cover, never driven in the rain, and only on sundays.

its cool to hear from owners of these cars and there experience with them. ive never even seen one in the wild.
Old 12-10-15, 03:55 PM
lfahalo
Rookie

Originally Posted by SonicMotor
I always love coming into the LFA section. So crazy to see even this many owners of such an awesome car in one place. Thank you guys for keeping all of us that can't afford them in the loop
Cheers. Have been trying to share the car with as many folks as possible. The list is long and time has been short lately.

But happy to answer any questions now that I have lived with the LFA for several months.

Agree with the other post above it is a lifetime, and once in a lifetime, car. Mine is staying put!!
Old 12-10-15, 09:03 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lfahalo
Cheers. Have been trying to share the car with as many folks as possible. The list is long and time has been short lately.

But happy to answer any questions now that I have lived with the LFA for several months.

Agree with the other post above it is a lifetime, and once in a lifetime, car. Mine is staying put!!
I guess, I will throw one out there. What do you think about the S001 tire traction on the track? The tires I believe were purposely no slick racing tires in order to get better street drivability.

Has the thought of ever switching to racing slick tires like Michelin Pilot Cup 2 etc. cross your mind?
Old 12-11-15, 06:17 AM
lfahalo
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I guess, I will throw one out there. What do you think about the S001 tire traction on the track? The tires I believe were purposely no slick racing tires in order to get better street drivability.

Has the thought of ever switching to racing slick tires like Michelin Pilot Cup 2 etc. cross your mind?
It's a great question. The only track excursion I have had on them was that Erin Park exhibition day but it was very wet so I didn't risk the car, especially with a passenger. So no usable data from that.

On the street, they are decent, probably comparable to a standard Pirelli p zero (not corsa). When cold, they can be a bit tricky as the LFA has a razor sharp throttle and as I have mentioned, a very lively back end. But once up to temp they are well suited to the car for spirited driving.

I definitely prefer Michelin tires. The original pilots were great and the supersports just improved on that. I have also run Cups on various cars and always had a positive experience. I do believe Michelin makes the best tires. A couple of years ago I think the blue LFA at Goodwood was on cups (have to verify that) and it was just flying up the hill, one of the fastest supercars there.

So yes I have thought about it. But, again, I am of the opinion that most supercars have too much power and grip for the street. Pulling over 1 G on public roads is pretty useless to me. I prefer a car that moves around a bit and can break traction easily. It's just more fun.
Old 12-11-15, 06:45 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the great response. Very good insight.

I brought that question up because I always wondered how much faster LFA would have been with racing slick compound tires? A few pros have brought that up like Randy Pobst and Shareef Abdelbassett etc.

You are right about Goodwood uphill climb. LFA on that day put down the fastest time that day in the competition. Quicker than the SLS AMG Black Series, Ferrari F12 etc.

Even in that case, the tail swung out a few times in the beginning, but then midway through it started gripping very hard. Here is the video of that:

Originally Posted by lfahalo
It's a great question. The only track excursion I have had on them was that Erin Park exhibition day but it was very wet so I didn't risk the car, especially with a passenger. So no usable data from that.

On the street, they are decent, probably comparable to a standard Pirelli p zero (not corsa). When cold, they can be a bit tricky as the LFA has a razor sharp throttle and as I have mentioned, a very lively back end. But once up to temp they are well suited to the car for spirited driving.

I definitely prefer Michelin tires. The original pilots were great and the supersports just improved on that. I have also run Cups on various cars and always had a positive experience. I do believe Michelin makes the best tires. A couple of years ago I think the blue LFA at Goodwood was on cups (have to verify that) and it was just flying up the hill, one of the fastest supercars there.

So yes I have thought about it. But, again, I am of the opinion that most supercars have too much power and grip for the street. Pulling over 1 G on public roads is pretty useless to me. I prefer a car that moves around a bit and can break traction easily. It's just more fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New owner...little help