LFA Model (2012)

EVO UK: Richard Meaden much rather have Lexus LFA over P1, 918 and LaFerrari

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 09:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,744 Posts
Default EVO UK: Richard Meaden much rather have Lexus LFA over P1, 918 and LaFerrari

Chris Harris and Richard Meaden of EVO magazine professing their love for the LFA on twitter.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hIZjJBcXlGVVF3
Old 10-29-15, 11:25 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool. Wish he would do a straight comparison review of the four of them with finer details to back up his sensational tweet then.
Old 10-29-15, 02:02 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Very cool. Wish he would do a straight comparison review of the four of them with finer details to back up his sensational tweet then.
Well, he's done video reviews of all four independently (or at least videos - I think the LFA was the comparo with the 599 GTO). He's one of those guys that tends just to say a lot of nice things and is never particularly negative during his reviews so have to read between the lines a lot, but you can check the reviews and try to figure out his thoughts.

It seemed like he really liked the LaFerrari so I'm not too sure why he's so set on the LFA over it (he did make one comment during the LaFerrari video that he felt the steering wasn't as "hyper" as on the 458, but I'm not sure that was a criticism); as far as the 918/P1, he didn't seem to like the feel/communication as much as the LaFerrari and thought the batteries/tech interfered. I think he specifically criticized the effect of regenerative braking on the brake feel on the 918.

I think like many other reviewers (including Chris Harris) he was just really enamored with how special the LFA is. It's not just rare, but it's different in engineering and purpose and approach, which all emphasize driver feedback and specifically different driver senses. It's very analog as far as modern supercars go so it's not surprising that someone who finds the tech/hybrid stuff gets in the way on the Ferrari/McLaren/Porsche hypercars finds the LFA refreshing.

Ironically, given how many LFA/Lexus fans are annoyed that Lexus hasn't capitalized at all on successors to the LFA (whether equal or downmarket), I think to people with a collector's mindset, the fact that there won't be any followup to the LFA makes it more special. In the same way, that it might be the last great naturally aspirated ICE ever made probably helps. I don't think this aspect can be ignored as far as its appeal to car fans.
Old 10-29-15, 07:56 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,744 Posts

Richard mentions a bit in the tweet. He seems mesmerized by LFA's V10.

Originally Posted by gengar
Well, he's done video reviews of all four independently (or at least videos - I think the LFA was the comparo with the 599 GTO). He's one of those guys that tends just to say a lot of nice things and is never particularly negative during his reviews so have to read between the lines a lot, but you can check the reviews and try to figure out his thoughts.

It seemed like he really liked the LaFerrari so I'm not too sure why he's so set on the LFA over it (he did make one comment during the LaFerrari video that he felt the steering wasn't as "hyper" as on the 458, but I'm not sure that was a criticism); as far as the 918/P1, he didn't seem to like the feel/communication as much as the LaFerrari and thought the batteries/tech interfered. I think he specifically criticized the effect of regenerative braking on the brake feel on the 918.

I think like many other reviewers (including Chris Harris) he was just really enamored with how special the LFA is. It's not just rare, but it's different in engineering and purpose and approach, which all emphasize driver feedback and specifically different driver senses. It's very analog as far as modern supercars go so it's not surprising that someone who finds the tech/hybrid stuff gets in the way on the Ferrari/McLaren/Porsche hypercars finds the LFA refreshing.

Ironically, given how many LFA/Lexus fans are annoyed that Lexus hasn't capitalized at all on successors to the LFA (whether equal or downmarket), I think to people with a collector's mindset, the fact that there won't be any followup to the LFA makes it more special. In the same way, that it might be the last great naturally aspirated ICE ever made probably helps. I don't think this aspect can be ignored as far as its appeal to car fans.