LFA Model (2012)

What was Jeremy Clarkson's Favorite Car Ever on Top Gear ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-15, 07:58 AM
Contender
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What was Jeremy Clarkson's Favorite Car Ever on Top Gear ??

And he has driven them all - I must say I can't disagree with him !

http://carbuzz.com/news/2015/5/27/Wh...-Gear-7727168/
Old 05-27-15, 10:29 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Very cool. Great to see even after having driven much newer supercars and hypercars like McLaren P1, Porsche 918 Spyder, Huracan, McLaren 650s and Ferrari LaFerrari etc., he always keeps going back to the LFA as his most favorite car ever.
Old 05-28-15, 12:05 PM
lfahalo
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

After a month of ownership, I must concur. This car puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it.
At times, I still cannot believe how Lexus pulled off a car this incredible on their very first try. Just extraordinary.

I think perhaps it can only be explained by the 'no expense spared' approach to design and manufacture, coupled with the driving dynamics and experience really being determined by a single man who knew exactly how he wanted the car to feel and was obsessive about testing and re-testing until he achieved it.
Old 05-28-15, 02:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lfahalo
After a month of ownership, I must concur. This car puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it.
At times, I still cannot believe how Lexus pulled off a car this incredible on their very first try. Just extraordinary.

I think perhaps it can only be explained by the 'no expense spared' approach to design and manufacture, coupled with the driving dynamics and experience really being determined by a single man who knew exactly how he wanted the car to feel and was obsessive about testing and re-testing until he achieved it.
It is always great to hear your opinions.

I just read Telegraph UK interview of Clarkson where he talks about the LFA. It had been a rumor he had been searching to buy one. This interview subliminally says he had been looking around for one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/...r-sacking.html

Clarkson claims the Lexus LFA was the best car he ever drove on Top Gear.

Editor of www.PistonHeads.com, Dan Trent was surprised.

"An unexpected choice for Clarkson, especially given the drubbing he gave the last Lexus to appear on Top Gear," he said.

"But the LFA is something special, a one-off supercar built with obsessive attention to detail that took a decade to go from concept to reality. They very rarely come up for sale and the last one we had on www.PistonHeads.com was priced at £440,000. Lexus never made anything like it before and never will again. For that it's a proper hero car."
Old 06-04-15, 12:06 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lfahalo

so happy to hear that the car is still #1 !
Old 06-06-15, 09:14 PM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, the Lfa is an astonishing vehicle.
Old 07-02-15, 08:33 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW! I was Never really a Big Fan of his, but this Changes my Perception a Bit! That was Pretty Cool though, considering ALL the Cars he been around!
Old 04-22-16, 03:11 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Telegraph is revisiting the Clarkson reviewed LFA

The Telegraph have started driving some of the show's most highly-rated cars from past episodes, and reviewing them for the rest of us. And what better place to start than the LFA?
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/r...rksons-dreams/
Old 04-23-16, 10:26 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Nice find. Thanks for posting. It was a great read. Only fitting to post the entire article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/top-...ars-lexus-lfa/

Driving Top Gear's greatest cars: Lexus LFA

Jeremy Clarkson: 'If someone were to offer me the choice of any car that had ever been made ever, I would like a dark blue Lexus LFA'
19 APRIL 2016 • 7:30AM
In the first of a new series in which we drive some of Top Gear's most highly-rated cars, Andrew Frankel revisits the awesome Lexus LFA

“If someone were to offer me the choice of any car that had ever been made ever, I would like a dark blue Lexus LFA.”

The words belong to Jeremy Clarkson, and whether you agree with them or not, there can surely be no disputing the fact the car they describe was of the most extraordinary creations ever to take to the public road.

We’ll get to the car itself very shortly, but for now perhaps the most remarkable thing about the LFA was not what it was, but where it came from. It was a Lexus, which meant it was a Toyota, brought to you by the same people whose other work included the Corolla, Carina and Camry. True, Toyota had built a number of decent sports cars in the past, but Lexus was so middle of the road Alan Partridge drove one. A 200mph supercar? We’d not been more surprised since Julie Andrews took her clothes off in S.O.B.

Jeremy Clarkson, Lexus LFA, Top Gear
In series 19 of Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson raced Hammond and May to the Mexican border in a bright yellow LFA CREDIT: BBC WORLDWIDE LTD
So how good could such a car conceived in that environment really be? Better than any of us could imagine. News of its gestation did not augur well: it took nearly a decade to progress from interesting idea to production reality, and when it did appear its shape was more brutal than beautiful. Yes, it was made largely from carbon fibre and its 560bhp, 4.8-litre V10 engine sounded promising, but while waiting, the game appeared to have moved on. As an example, it came to market at the same time as the Porsche 911 GT2 RS, a car developed by Porsche’s blue blooded Motorsport department. Like the LFA, just 500 would be built, but the Porsche not only had the badge and pedigree, it was more powerful, accelerated faster and cost almost exactly half the price.

Lexus LFA, blue, rear
When new, the LFA cost £345,000
But if ever a car’s on paper specification served more to obscure than enlighten, it was the LFA’s. The raw numbers revealed nothing of the sense of occasion that came as you approached this exquisitely constructed, hand-built masterpiece. They offered no insight into a cabin that blended form and function so enticing and exciting you’d sit, literally quivering in anticipation of what was to come. And then there was the noise: I could spend the rest of this article failing to do justice to its hauntingly beautiful offbeat wail. But if you heard it just once, that memory would live with you forever.

Top Gear Lexus LFA front
The LFA featured in Top Gear helped Clarkson get to the Mexican border before his colleagues CREDIT: BBC WORLDWIDE LTD
And it was as good to drive as it sounded, perhaps even better. Indeed it was one of just a handful of cars that broke the rule that says cars designed for the road are as rubbish on the track as track cars are on the road. Laws apparently immutable to others simply did not apply to the LFA. On the road it was sufficiently quiet, comfortable and spacious to do a passable impression of a long distance tourer – yet on the track it broke the record for the fastest lap of the Nurburgring for a standard, globally homologated road car. Even now, in this era of 1,000hp hypercars and on a list that contains pure racing cars modified only enough to make them technically road legal, only seven cars have beaten its time.

Lexus LFA interior
The LFA's interior is beautifully built and looks superb
The LFA, then, was a freak, a car like McLaren F1 made with no apparent regard for cost, just to be the best it could be. Lexus is rumoured to have lost thousands on each so it’s no surprise no replacement was commissioned. And while that might seem sad, it means its reputation never ran the risk of being sullied by some successor built to return a profit.

In the end Clarkson called it ‘the best car I have ever driven’. For me it was always the Ferrari F40 until the LaFerrari came along, but the LFA is in that league, a car better than the sum of its incredible parts, better you sense, even than its creators intended it to be. A landmark, in other words, whose like we will not see again.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-23-16 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 11:25 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Amazing car, amazing achievement and, for my money, the best car ever. Posted entire article on Supraforums as well.

Ken.