LFA Model (2012)

New Lexus LFA 5.3 Liter V10: Sights, rumors, sounds and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 01:42 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yamaha never had one of the best F1 engine's. They only had minor success, some points scored, except in '97. But that engine was modified from a judd v10 which they worked on for 4-5 years. Toyota never won either, but their engine was not the problem. That was more down to lousy drivers and botched strategies. When Yamaha was in F1, there was less restrictions on engines, less 'spec'. Its harder to make your engine standout during the spec engine years Toyota was in. 2002-2009 saw basically no innovation and a standard one make ecu. Thats one reason Toyota left. As for this engine maybe we'll see more info on it when it runs.
Old 02-08-14, 05:28 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Yamaha never had one of the best F1 engine's. They only had minor success, some points scored, except in '97. But that engine was modified from a judd v10 which they worked on for 4-5 years. Toyota never won either, but their engine was not the problem. That was more down to lousy drivers and botched strategies. When Yamaha was in F1, there was less restrictions on engines, less 'spec'. Its harder to make your engine standout during the spec engine years Toyota was in. 2002-2009 saw basically no innovation and a standard one make ecu. Thats one reason Toyota left. As for this engine maybe we'll see more info on it when it runs.
Then again, Yamaha was not competing with its own team. Yamaha was only an engine supplier. It was really the Arrows team that put the Yamaha engine in the A18. The A18 car was never successful in any race regardless of the engine. The Arrows team was incompetent and never won anything even after Yamaha stopped making engines for Arrows.
Old 02-11-14, 05:26 PM
MCalloway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*drool I'm getting a red one
Old 02-13-14, 04:18 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

definitely can hear the two different tones of the engine in each video...
Old 02-13-14, 12:11 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

You can hear a big difference in the N24 car as well. But that was still running the 4.8L engine. The only thing that we can compare it to will be the sound of the code x LFA that will run this year. If they sound identical, then it may be the 5.3L engine running in the AD-X. Not long now till the VLN rounds start. Im sure it will be in one before the 24hr race.
Old 02-13-14, 12:28 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

You can hear a big difference in the N24 car as well. But that was still running the 4.8L engine.
No they don't. The Gazoo LFA is running a more open exhaust so it is louder and it is very clear that is the only difference. The tone and pitch through rpm is almost the same. Like everyone else can hear, the 5.3 liter engine sound coming from under the hood in the video above is very different from the 4.8 Liter engine sound. .

That is exactly why I was able to predict the engine running a "5.2 - 5.3 liter displacement" almost 1.5 years ago when the first AD-X video surfaced. Most importantly, the Code X (and AD-X) also have a much longer wheelbase and the code X officially also has carbon fiber at the body frames where the standard LFA was using aluminum.

It is almost a completely different platform disguised as an LFA test mule.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-13-14 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-13-14, 08:22 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
No they don't. The Gazoo LFA is running a more open exhaust so it is louder and it is very clear that is the only difference. The tone and pitch through rpm is almost the same. Like everyone else can hear, the 5.3 liter engine sound coming from under the hood in the video above is very different from the 4.8 Liter engine sound. .

That is exactly why I was able to predict the engine running a "5.2 - 5.3 liter displacement" almost 1.5 years ago when the first AD-X video surfaced. Most importantly, the Code X (and AD-X) also have a much longer wheelbase and the code X officially also has carbon fiber at the body frames where the standard LFA was using aluminum.

It is almost a completely different platform disguised as an LFA test mule.
Please, just stop replying to me if you don't like what I say. I watched the races live and there was a big difference in sounds with the approach of the race car compared to the road LFA. All the talk of longer wheelbase and that jazz is pointless in this thread. You cant predict anything, because youre guessing this enlarged engine was running in the car you think, but its unproven. Unless youre inside Toyota, no one has any clue what was in the ad cars. Dont see why you need to reply so brash.

Last edited by TF109B; 02-13-14 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-13-14, 09:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Dont see why you need to reply so brash.
Brash?

I simply disputed in simple words your claim that LFA and Gazoo LFA have a "big difference" in sound.

It seems you who has been persistent while pretty much everyone else is clearly able to see the difference. He was stating his opinion and I don't think he was asking you either. Yet, you are asking me not reply "if I don't like"?

Regarding LFA and Gazoo LFA, they sound almost the same other than the Gazoo LFA running an open exhaust so it is louder. That is it. Inside, the Gazoo LFA has no sound deadening so the sound is coming from all directions so it is a noise chamber inside.

It is the same way how there is nothing official. However, the prevaling circumstantial evidence clearly points in one direction. For example, when SLS AMG black series was being tested, people on the internet already knew it had a higher revving engine and also was a more hardcore version of the SLS. It was all because of the circumstantial evidence present in the form of videos.

It seems like you have yourself thoroughly convinced. However, any neutral and objective person would have no problems identifying both of these cars have the same engine.

Don't believe me? Feel free to conduct a survey and 10/10 people would say yes these two cars sound almost the same.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-13-14 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-14-14, 10:01 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

So youtube videos is what youre going off still. Your claim was the 5.3L engine was in the ad cars because the engine 'sounds different'. I should have left it there. You have no other source. Just sound alone is not an indication its this said engine.

The N24 car sounds different to the street LFA as well, but we know they never ran a bigger engine. Then you proceed to act like I denied the ad cars sounded different, but thats wrong. I said they dont need to have a bigger engine to sound different. Your claim that they may be running to 12k rpm, or whatever number it is, could also explain the difference in sound, thats what I said. Whats simple? Simple is to not jump to conclusions and place labels on people or speak untruths about them. You know theres no reason to act like youre right when I offered an alternative to your line of thought.

Check the racecar thread... gazoo has dimensions to the code x car vs the 'regular' N24 LFA.

Last edited by TF109B; 02-14-14 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-06-14, 03:23 PM
RaceSC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So youtube videos is what youre going off still. Your claim was the 5.3L engine was in the ad cars because the engine 'sounds different'. I should have left it there. You have no other source. Just sound alone is not an indication its this said engine.

The N24 car sounds different to the street LFA as well, but we know they never ran a bigger engine. Then you proceed to act like I denied the ad cars sounded different, but thats wrong. I said they dont need to have a bigger engine to sound different. Your claim that they may be running to 12k rpm, or whatever number it is, could also explain the difference in sound, thats what I said. Whats simple? Simple is to not jump to conclusions and place labels on people or speak untruths about them. You know theres no reason to act like youre right when I offered an alternative to your line of thought.

Check the racecar thread... gazoo has dimensions to the code x car vs the 'regular' N24 LFA.
He is basing ALL of this on his experience on a stock 1.8L 4 cylinder. I own a fully built big single 2JZ, that I built and tuned myself, that revs to 9,000RPM and I wouldn't dare claim I can tell what RPM an engine is revving to by youtube videos. My father who has built engines, road and race, since he was 17 (63 now) and is a SAE certified master tech, wouldn't hazard a guess at what RPM it is turning.

Last edited by rominl; 03-06-14 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-06-14, 03:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

RaceSC300, everyone is allowed to voice their opinions as long as it's done constructive. stick to the matter, provide facts and point of views, but not at the expense of personal attacks or finger pointing.

and the same goes to everyone else in this thread. thank you
Old 04-01-14, 04:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Sucks it was an april fool's joke.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-02-14 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 03:51 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Officially confirmed by Tanahashi san that the LFA hypercar will have 10,000+ rpm redline with close to 1000 HP in a candid interview.

So, it is a hypercar that will rev well past 10,000 rpm with a V10 (5.3 Liter makes the most logical sense).

I knew I was right and not an iota of doubt considering what my ears were hearing in terms of engine speed.

Just wanted the official confirmation and it definitely came much sooner than I was expecting. It is here now.

Source: Clublexus

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...-the-works.php

Insane! Sigh...got to start saving again...
Old 04-02-14, 04:43 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
You have till the 1st of April next year to make it happen.
Old 04-02-14, 07:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
Having a supercar LFA and a hypercar LFA would indeed be sweet. Lucky you can plan while rest of us can only dream.

Originally Posted by redspencer
You have till the 1st of April next year to make it happen.
Yeah, sucks it was an april fool's joke. LFA 2 is in the works. That much is confirmed. However, the specs are not yet known.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-02-14 at 10:28 PM.