LFA Model (2012)

2013 LFA owners' gathering - NOLA Motorsports Park

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 09:10 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry for the lack of updates. I woke up on Wednesday morning with a really bad head cold (not helped by going out pretty hard in New Orleans the night before) so was out of it most of the day. Between my lapping sessions, I literally went back to the track clubhouse and slept on a couch - I'm sure all the Japanese Lexus execs who were hanging out there found this amusing. Because of this, I didn't wind up taking many videos/photos either, but I'll update later when I get time. Also, because I shared #144 with several owners / VIPs / Lexus corp guys I just didn't have time to set up the GoPro or my PerfromanceBox every time I got in the car, so nothing on that this time. There was extensive photo/video coverage done by Lexus (I think they're going to use this as a marketing platform), so I'm sure we'll get a compilation DVD or something and I will see if I can share some stuff with that if it doesn't violate copyright.

Initial impressions/thoughts:
  1. NOLA Motorsports Park was surprisingly good for being a flat track. I think most people know my opinion on tracks that lack elevation changes - I find them pretty boring. Still, the track layout (North Track - Long) had some pretty technical areas with a variety of turns as well as a good high-speed esses section, which the LFA always dominates on.
  2. Drove the new IS350 F-Sport on track - it's really, really good. Granted I never drove the old F-Sport on track (only the base 350) but Lexus has ironed out track problems like the often-nervous rear suspension and lack of predictability at/approaching the limit.
  3. There was a motorcross track adjacent to the main track, and Akio gave hot laps in the Gazoo LFA to the owners who had the fastest time on the motorcross. Since I was sharing #144 with a couple other owners and Lexus corp guys, I prioritized that in the morning and never wound up doing the motorcross as the hot laps were given right after the lunch break. Very cool to have Akio giving hot laps, though!
  4. It was really good catching up with lunaC42 and getting all her latest stories. I believe she had 4 GoPros on her car, so we might be treated to some sweet videos soon - she told me on one of her laps, Akio passed her in the Gazoo car, so that would be a fun video, too. I also met CrazyMPG and we had a good time hanging out with the usual Lexus corp guys in New Orleans. I introduced myself to EricLFA428 as well and thanked him for posting on the forums - hopefully he'll post on here more.
  5. Overall, another stellar event thrown by Lexus. As G Star said, "gift that keeps on giving" - Lexus officially called this the "2nd Annual" gathering, so definitely more of these to come.

Anyway, I have to grab lunch and catch my flight (not even going home - ugh), so more info later!

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Great stuff Gengar

Today' s trivia questions:

We're there 2 sunset orange cars there?

From the picture I thought I saw Mr 003 an 499. Was that true and if so foes he still have an LFA or does he get forever good will?
Yes, 2 sunset orange cars. One was the owner I met in Joliet way back in 2011 that I posted about in my LFA thread here. It was really good to catch up with him at this event. I was told the other Sunset Orange car is actually being used by corporate. I don't remember reading about such an arrangement on these forums - maybe I missed the post or one of our regulars who interacts with Lexus corporate can shed some light on that.

I do remember seeing 499 there. Don't know if Roy was there - I've never actually met him. I don't usually interact much with the other owners at these things.
Old 10-24-13, 09:23 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

So happy to see Lexus LFA owners being able to enjoy their cars on the track...

Fantastic job by Lexus USA..!!!

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I see Roy Mallady's #499 LFA in there. I assume this must be the first event where Roy is no longer participating
^^^ #499 was not there... That one has has a Carbon Fiber Roof...

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Great stuff Gengar

Today' s trivia questions:

We're there 2 sunset orange cars there?

From the picture I thought I saw Mr 003 an 499. Was that true and if so does he still have an LFA or does he get forever good will?
Yes, awesome to see TWO Sunset Orange LFA's together..

Roys LFA's are SOLD ... From the Colors at the event there was no Mettalic Silver LFA and 499 has a Carbon Roof, and that was not there either..

What we are all seeing is the one off Two-Tone LFA.. #383
Steel Gray Body with Pearl Gray Roof East Coast LFA
via Lexus of Lehigh Valley

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-24-13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-24-13, 09:26 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Sorry for the lack of updates. I woke up on Wednesday morning with a really bad head cold (not helped by going out pretty hard in New Orleans the night before) so was out of it most of the day. Between my lapping sessions, I literally went back to the track clubhouse and slept on a couch - I'm sure all the Japanese Lexus execs who were hanging out there found this amusing. Because of this, I didn't wind up taking many videos/photos either, but I'll update later when I get time. Also, because I shared #144 with several owners / VIPs / Lexus corp guys I just didn't have time to set up the GoPro or my PerfromanceBox every time I got in the car, so nothing on that this time. There was extensive photo/video coverage done by Lexus (I think they're going to use this as a marketing platform), so I'm sure we'll get a compilation DVD or something and I will see if I can share some stuff with that if it doesn't violate copyright.

1. NOLA Motorsports Park was surprisingly good for being a flat track. I think most people know my opinion on tracks that lack elevation changes - I find them pretty boring. Still, the track layout (North Track - Long) had some pretty technical areas with a variety of turns as well as a good high-speed esses section, which the LFA always dominates on.
  2. Drove the new IS350 F-Sport on track - it's really, really good. Granted I never drove the old F-Sport on track (only the base 350) but Lexus has ironed out track problems like the often-nervous rear suspension and lack of predictability at/approaching the limit.
  3. There was a motorcross track adjacent to the main track, and Akio gave hot laps in the Gazoo LFA to the owners who had the fastest time on the motorcross. Since I was sharing #144 with a couple other owners and Lexus corp guys, I prioritized that in the morning and never wound up doing the motorcross as the hot laps were given right after the lunch break. Very cool to have Akio giving hot laps, though!
  4. It was really good catching up with lunaC42 and getting all her latest stories. I believe she had 4 GoPros on her car, so we might be treated to some sweet videos soon - she told me on one of her laps, Akio passed her in the Gazoo car, so that would be a fun video, too. I also met CrazyMPG and we had a good time hanging out with the usual Lexus corp guys in New Orleans. I introduced myself to EricLFA428 as well and thanked him for posting on the forums - hopefully he'll post on here more.
  5. Overall, another stellar event thrown by Lexus. As G Star said, "gift that keeps on giving" - Lexus officially called this the "2nd Annual" gathering, so definitely more of these to come.

Anyway, I have to grab lunch and catch my flight (not even going home - ugh), so more info later!

Yes, 2 sunset orange cars. One was the owner I met in Joliet way back in 2011 that I posted about in my LFA thread here. It was really good to catch up with him at this event. I was told the other Sunset Orange car is actually being used by corporate. I don't remember reading about such an arrangement on these forums - maybe I missed the post or one of our regulars who interacts with Lexus corporate can shed some light on that.

I do remember seeing 499 there. Don't know if Roy was there - I've never actually met him. I don't usually interact much with the other owners at these things.

Hey Bud! Hope your feeling better! You party way too much for me. We ended up leaving around 3pm to get in some nap time before we headed back into the French Quarter. Actually 499 wasn't there at Nola. The car looked very similar except the one we saw had a painted black roof while Roy's old car had a carbon fiber roof. . Hope to see you soon! I'll hit you up when I get a chance to go to Vegas! It was an awesome event!
Old 10-24-13, 09:30 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Awesome Feedback Gengar..!!

I miss those parting hard nights

The other corp Sunset Orange LFA #272 has been seen for sale in various SoCal dealerships..
To my knowledge, is still available for purchase

~ Joe Z

Old 10-24-13, 09:46 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JamesN
Here is a video that I got of Mr. Toyoda giving a quick hot lap to one of the LFA owner.

http://youtu.be/H5-w6fD33qg
Awesome Video James..!!! Thanks for sharing...

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
Hey Bud! Hope your feeling better! You party way too much for me. We ended up leaving around 3pm to get in some nap time before we headed back into the French Quarter. Actually 499 wasn't there at Nola. The car looked very similar except the one we saw had a painted black roof while Roy's old car had a carbon fiber roof. . Hope to see you soon! I'll hit you up when I get a chance to go to Vegas! It was an awesome event!
^^ Can't wait to hear all about it...

~ Joe Z
Old 10-24-13, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

thank you james for the video, awesome event!

lexus corp has always had that sunset orange lfa, they just don't use it most of the time. they mostly just used the white ring, black, red, and the yellow
Old 10-24-13, 11:22 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I said it because I see a picture of a steel grey LFA with exposed carbon fiber roof in the group picture, but yeah I have seen another one in the US as well.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^^ #499 was not there... That one has has a Carbon Fiber Roof...
~ Joe Z
Old 10-24-13, 11:53 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I said it because I see a picture of a steel grey LFA with exposed carbon fiber roof in the group picture, but yeah I have seen another one in the US as well.
I understand why you wrote it... But that is not carbon....

#383 has a "Pearl Gray" Roof & Pillars ..

Nürburgring LFA sandwich

~ Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails 2013 LFA owners' gathering - NOLA Motorsports Park-lfa-383-two-tone.jpg   2013 LFA owners' gathering - NOLA Motorsports Park-1211_news_twotonedlfa_feature.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-24-13 at 01:27 PM. Reason: photo quality
Old 10-24-13, 11:58 AM
gengar

Originally Posted by Joe Z;8203905^^^ #499 was not there... That one has has a Carbon Fiber Roof... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Roys LFA's are SOLD ... From the Colors at the event there was no Mettalic Silver LFA and 499 has a Carbon Roof, and that was not there either..

What we are all seeing is the one off Two-Tone LFA.. #383
[B
Steel Gray Body with Pearl Gray Roof [/B] East Coast LFA
via Lexus of Lehigh Valley
Yes, you're right - it was 383 that was there. I only saw it on the track from a distance, but it did look like the Steel Grey.

I remember the Sunset Orange was around for sale, but didn't realize Lexus corporate was procuring it for their own events.

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
Yeah definitely let me know about Vegas. I'll be hanging out with the Lexus corp guys during SEMA for sure. And next time we should probably party after the driving part...

Originally Posted by rominl
lexus corp has always had that sunset orange lfa, they just don't use it most of the time. they mostly just used the white ring, black, red, and the yellow
Gotcha. I actually was told the white Nürburgring was recently sold, so it's off Lexus' hands.
Old 10-24-13, 12:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

At one point, Lexus was planning on using the white Nurburgring Edition as a press car for testing (Car and driver was hoping to get it for next year's lightning lap), but they scraped the plan. It is good to hear it has been sold.

Yes, you're right - it was 383 that was there. I only saw it on the track from a distance, but it did look like the Steel Grey.

I remember the Sunset Orange was around for sale, but didn't realize Lexus corporate was procuring it for their own events.

Yeah definitely let me know about Vegas. I'll be hanging out with the Lexus corp guys during SEMA for sure. And next time we should probably party after the driving part...

Gotcha. I actually was told the white Nürburgring was recently sold, so it's off Lexus' hands.
Old 10-24-13, 12:24 PM
gengar

Quick upload while I have time - here's Akio pulling into the pits during one of his hot laps. Note the Nürburgring blue light in use. (Sorry for the low image quality - it's a screencap of a video.

Old 10-24-13, 12:51 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

LFA Nürburgring Matte Black is spectacular..!!

~ Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails 2013 LFA owners' gathering - NOLA Motorsports Park-n-rburgring-matte-black-428.jpg  
Old 10-24-13, 12:59 PM
LexFather

Wow great reads in here thank you! I've been watching Paul Williamson's feeds and glad we have some scoops in here.
Old 10-24-13, 02:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup you are right, the ring car has been sold couple months ago (see i used the word "used" ). that's not just the only lfa off lexus' hands too from what i was told, i am definitely happy to see more lfa going out to owners
Old 10-24-13, 04:12 PM
lunaC42
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roy was not there, nor either of his previous cars. The corporate sunset orange was sold to a private owner hours before the event, but he was generous enough to let Scott drive the hell out of it all day. I saw him pick it up at the end of the event -- his second LFA. I have a ton of GoPro footage to sift through (like, 6-8 hours between the 4 cameras) so I'm sure something will come of this. Several angles of my *** whooping by Mr. Pruett and Toyoda-san. And my off-roading :/. Will keep in touch.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android

Quick Reply: 2013 LFA owners' gathering - NOLA Motorsports Park