LFA Model (2012)

LFA on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 07:59 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Let's do some bean counting to demonstrate the current state of LFA failure in the US marketplace.

As of November 2011, Lexus counts 52 cars sold. I will assume all the cars delivered to dealerships are baked into that number.

Between Ebay, Cars.com and Autotrader I currently see 9 dealerships with an LFA (Longo, Kendall with a $475K sticker??, Massapequa, Dublin, Brookfield, South County, Richmond, Bergstom and Bellevue).

I would also have folks recall that Lexus corporate took the black one from a dealer, Herb Chambers tried to dump his root beer/creamsicle one and JM Lexus had one on the floor for like 4 months.

The production run was planned to be a bit over two years. The cars started production in late 2010. The tsunami definitely caused some delay. The US was slated for 17? cars.
At this production rate, it could take 2.5 years (or longer) to get all the cars into the US. The piled up inventory should grow as cars tend to sell worse as the new thing on the street factor fades (plus Aventador is available, McLaren is available and the 599 replacement is on the horizon).
Old 12-14-11, 10:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Let's do some bean counting to demonstrate the current state of LFA failure in the US marketplace.

As of November 2011, Lexus counts 52 cars sold. I will assume all the cars delivered to dealerships are baked into that number.

Between Ebay, Cars.com and Autotrader I currently see 9 dealerships with an LFA (Longo, Kendall with a $475K sticker??, Massapequa, Dublin, Brookfield, South County, Richmond, Bergstom and Bellevue).

I would also have folks recall that Lexus corporate took the black one from a dealer, Herb Chambers tried to dump his root beer/creamsicle one and JM Lexus had one on the floor for like 4 months.

The production run was planned to be a bit over two years. The cars started production in late 2010. The tsunami definitely caused some delay. The US was slated for 17? cars.
At this production rate, it could take 2.5 years (or longer) to get all the cars into the US. The piled up inventory should grow as cars tend to sell worse as the new thing on the street factor fades (plus Aventador is available, McLaren is available and the 599 replacement is on the horizon).
Maybe help the situation by buying one of those available for sale? You've been interested for a very long time.
Old 12-14-11, 11:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lexus corp bought another red one too
Old 12-15-11, 12:36 AM
LexFather

So you should get a great deal on one no?

Your post is premature at best. We are trying to figure out the numbers as we don't know them yet. The fact of the matter is Lexus, a company with no experience selling exotics with the next highest price car at 130k loaded, with no prestige in this market selling ONE is a feat in itself. The car was been written off, it won't make a dime, they know it, we know it so if they don't sell any, well the car wasn't making money anyway. The LFA has ushered a new era for Lexus so even if it doesn't sell, the life and spirit of the car moves into other Lexus. We should applaud such boldness, not crap on it. The NSX allegedly lost $800 million and sold like crap after the first 2 years. Who cares, the car is incredible and look how 20 years later we beg for another one. The GT-R is no great seller either and I hope that sales don't dictate its future. There are Ferrai's, Lambos, Rapides, etc etc sitting on dealer lots waiting for buyers. I hope its bought!!

I think its borderline pathetic we are looking at cars not sold instead of cars sold. We are to enjoy such a one of a kind vehicle. Why people continue to look for reasons to insult it when the motoring press is stating its one of the best cars ever made is beyond me.

Who is to say that tastes shift/the economy gets better and LFA's will sell at a better rate in 2012? You assume the worst here.

A lot of people hate the LFA so seeing one on E-bay gives them ammunition to crap on it some more. I think they need a hug.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-15-11 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-15-11, 04:44 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

In no way am I crapping on the car
I agree that the story will be known in the future but being an MBA I like to look at business cases and I shared what I have seen to date
Regarding sales in the next year or so I just believe a lot of folks that buy in this category follow the latest and greatest and will not come around to the car
Eventually they will be found in the lush garages of major collectors
I wish we had more non dealer owners to talk about
So far we can point to our own Gengar, the guy in Atlanta, the guy in Florida who had a great photo shoot done, the South side Chicago computer recycler, and the you tube highway guy in Texas
After that the cars are either owned by dealers or as I have been saying since I started a similar thread, sitting on the dealership floors, waiting to be sold
Old 12-15-11, 05:36 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Missed the celeb category owners, Paris Hilton and Larry Ellison in my previous post
Old 12-15-11, 07:40 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Apparently, according to LexusEnthusiast.com, this silver LFA for sale is a scam and will get pulled down soon.

There have been two other LFA eBay adds that were discovered to be scams and they were immediately pulled down. People go into dealerships and take pictures and then put up auction listing on eBay using those pictures.
Not sure where it was ever discovered to be a "scam"

This exact VIN was already For Sale on Cars.com last month either way... So if the dealership changes their mind and wants to sell it.. I am very sure they can @ MSRP.

When a car is bought as "New" by the dealership, it remains as "New" until it is recorded as SOLD to the DMV...
So #069 is still new, even though the dealership owner logged approx 300 miles driving it since April 11' ..

My Forum Opinion:
I am sure the core Lexus Marketing team is having a field day, with regards to seeing the increased number of "New" LFA's for sale On-Line.

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 12-15-11 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-15-11, 08:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I am sure the core Lexus Marketing team is having a field day, with regards to seeing the increased number of "New" LFA's for sale On-Line.

~ Joe Z
Joe, I think you and one other are the only ones having a field day relentlessly researching what LFA got posted up on cars.com.
Old 12-15-11, 08:23 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Missed the celeb category owners, Paris Hilton and Larry Ellison in my previous post
I'm pretty certain there are other celebs and prominent people who have picked up an LFA but have not made it public that they have one. Some people choose to opt for their privacy...nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-15-11, 08:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So you should get a great deal on one no?

Your post is premature at best. We are trying to figure out the numbers as we don't know them yet. The fact of the matter is Lexus, a company with no experience selling exotics with the next highest price car at 130k loaded, with no prestige in this market selling ONE is a feat in itself. The car was been written off, it won't make a dime, they know it, we know it so if they don't sell any, well the car wasn't making money anyway. The LFA has ushered a new era for Lexus so even if it doesn't sell, the life and spirit of the car moves into other Lexus. We should applaud such boldness, not crap on it. The NSX allegedly lost $800 million and sold like crap after the first 2 years. Who cares, the car is incredible and look how 20 years later we beg for another one. The GT-R is no great seller either and I hope that sales don't dictate its future. There are Ferrai's, Lambos, Rapides, etc etc sitting on dealer lots waiting for buyers. I hope its bought!!

I think its borderline pathetic we are looking at cars not sold instead of cars sold. We are to enjoy such a one of a kind vehicle. Why people continue to look for reasons to insult it when the motoring press is stating its one of the best cars ever made is beyond me.

Who is to say that tastes shift/the economy gets better and LFA's will sell at a better rate in 2012? You assume the worst here.

A lot of people hate the LFA so seeing one on E-bay gives them ammunition to crap on it some more. I think they need a hug.
Its because there are people obsessed about details that really don't matter. In reality, if someone with the capital really wants to buy this car, i'm pretty sure they're not spending their time calling dealerships, asking about what the dealership GM is going to do, spend countless hours on ebay. cars.com, craigslist waiting for the price to drop to $1k , $5k or $200,000k. It's not rocket science that LFA sales weren't as popular as projected, there were many factors that contributed to it, not just one. Did Lexus fail? I don't think so, they have most of their allocation sold and a handful sitting at dealers. It would have been a failure if Lexus didn't sell any of the 150+ units they have. Sadly there are people out there that have to constantly make excuses why the LFA isn't this or that. Sorry folks, its reality...it is what it is.

Last edited by flipside909; 12-15-11 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-15-11, 08:56 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by flipside909
Joe, I think you and one other are the only ones having a field day relentlessly researching what LFA got posted up on cars.com.
Ryan, nothing could be further from the truth..!!

I know it's tough to admit on the open fourm, but I'm sure you have researched them as well...

And for the record, I am LOVER of the LFA.. not a hater.....

If I had the capital, one Pearl Gray LFA would be sitting in the garage of my house..

~ Joe Z
Old 12-15-11, 09:18 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

The bigger worry here is that US Lexus management will look bad to corporate for what happened vs plan and will lose influence regarding future products

FYI the car at Kendall is sitting at the aged owner's home and is occasionally run by his son
The owner decided to sell it
Bonus info, they will be getting a ring car that will be available for sale
Old 12-15-11, 10:14 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Ryan, nothing could be further from the truth..!!

I know it's tough to admit on the open fourm, but I'm sure you have researched them as well...

And for the record, I am LOVER of the LFA.. not a hater.....

If I had the capital, one Pearl Gray LFA would be sitting in the garage of my house..

~ Joe Z
Well sure i've done my research on LFA, but i'm not on the computer all day looking for new things to post from other websites. And no i'm not digging every day to find the latest LFA gossip. No time for that...but some do.

We are all LFA lovers...even the haters are lovers because they are always here to talk about the LFA good or bad.
Old 12-15-11, 10:17 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

The bigger worry here is that US Lexus management will look bad to corporate for what happened vs plan and will lose influence regarding future products
No i'm pretty certain Lexus is smart enough to know the perils of selling and marketing cars and thought of the consequences before releasing the LFA. No auto manufacturer is perfect and they all do make mistakes and learn valuable things from it for the future.

FYI the car at Kendall is sitting at the aged owner's home and is occasionally run by his son
The owner decided to sell it
Bonus info, they will be getting a ring car that will be available for sale
LOL nice! do you work for Enquirer or TMZ.com or something? Do you personally know these people or are you just hearing this from others?
Old 12-15-11, 10:26 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

I called after seeing the $475 k price and the helpful sales person gave me the scoop
He thinks the GM put up the listing without telling the sales staff
I would say I am fishing casually
If the daycones when a dealer for sone reason would be ok with dumping a new onefor $300k I might go for that
Otherwise I have hope (unsupported by anything) that within 3 years a lightly used one could be had under $200k and I would be all over that (unless it is the root beer/creamsicle car)

Quick Reply: LFA on ebay