LFA Model (2012)

Car Magazine: Lexus LFA vs Lamborghini Aventador

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 04:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

So you are saying an exotic supercar is classified just by its name and its style?? That is all that the merit needs to be for a car to be deemed an exotic supercar??? (With styling being subjective since after seeing LFA in real life I personally consider LFA to be a much more original and beautiful looking design than the cookie-cutter mass produced Italian look of the Aventador and not to mention that low rent cheap interior Aventador has, which is atrocious at best).

Inspite of LFA performing near the highest level available in the exotic supercar industry today and setting records on a few tracks, it should not be considered an exotic supercar??

So LFA was pitted against a $420,000 Ferrari 599 GTB with HGTE track package and it beats the 599 GTB with HGTE package in all performance and handling as well as the subjective driving experience winning overall the comparison. By the same token, it does not matter if the subjective and objective merit all favor the LFA. Since the 599 GTB is a Ferrari the 599 GTB is a supercar, but the LFA is not???

That is laughable. What a joke! LOL

My personal merit for determining what an exotic supercar is purely its substance and its credentials. Not brand worshipping.

You also don't realize the difference between a track and driving dynamics oriented carbon fiber exotic supercar like the LFA and a 4800 lbs GT luxury cruiser such as, Bentley Continental SS. It is as apples to oranges as it gets. Might as well compare the Lexus LS600h to the LFA then.

So what if Aventador is a Lamborghini?? Lamborghini is going to build thousands of those over the next several years while there would only be 500 LFAs ever. Lamborghini is charging that much for a mass produced car while Lexus is charging that much for a very exclusive car. The review clearly states repeatedly that LFA is the more exciting, thrilling and rewarding car to drive.

LFA is indeed an exotic supercar through and through. It sounds like an exotic supercar (the review says LFA's engine is "the best engine ever since Paul Roche's Maclaren F1 engine"), it is built from the ground-up to be an exotic supercar, its bespoke 500 unit purpose build is nothing but exotic and exclusive, it goes like an exotic supercar and most importantly it feels and performs around the race track like a thorough-bred race car(since the Gazoo LFA endurance racer uses everything from the road car) without compromise on luxury.

p.s. FYI, 0 - 60 mph is only a measure of traction from a dead stop. It in no way determines which car is the faster car beyond the 60 mph. Case in point, even a 330 HP Audi TT-RS can do 0 - 60 mph in 3.6 seconds. Does that mean it holds a candle to the LFA in straight line acceleration?? Absolutely no way. Another example is Porsche Turbo S with a 0 - 60 mph in 2.7 seconds.

Originally Posted by xander247
Ok first I was comparing what is advertised as the base price for both models and the LFA which I heard has a second model that is even more expensive where as the Aventador does not. And I didn’t say it should be priced at 100K but the msrp should be in 100k range which is between 100-200k not based on its performance but style and name. With its high performance it would be far to be a 200K range sports car that is like I said on the level as a high performance Aston Martin if they did a standard and a high performance package. But given its name and style I can’t classify it as a SperSports car just as I don’t classify a V12 Vantage as a SuperSports car but a fine sports car hands down.

Second I did not emphasis on more straight line accelerations as I stated I don’t believe that the straight is completely relevant unless your were going to use the cars on the tracks. And I believe that I said that the LFA has proven its worth but feel it falls short to truly be classified as a SuperSport car but without a doubt a great sports car indeed. So I don’t know were you got me saying that it isn’t a great performance car that can't hold its own.

And last like I said why are people so amazed that a car company can build a sports car if given the time and resources; Especially one that they will lose more money producing than what they will gain in sale profits. If every car company had that type of business plan then I’m sure you would see more high-end sports cars. But you do indeed see other companies pushing out high performance cars. Biggest examples I would say are the Bentley Continental SS and Nissan GT-R.

Bentley Continental SS
Top speed 204mph
0-60 in 3.7sec
MSRP of $273,000 dollars.

Nissan GT-R
Top Speed 196mph
0-60 in 2.9sec
MSRP of $90,000 dollars

Lexus LFA
Top speed 202 mph,
0-60 in 3.6sec
MSRP of $375,00 dollar

Do I believe that Lexus has earned the right to place its LFA amongst the Top SuperSports cars…NO, but can it hold its own against them…Without a doubt.

A true SuperSports car has more than just performance but what I believe to be very important is stage presence as a SuperSport. When you compare a LFA next to a GT-R you get the feeling that the GT-R was the first generation model and the LFA is the new model upgrade with a new facelift, which tells you that they are on the same course in style. Where as you compare the LFA to a Aventador and you will clearly see that the look of the Aventador is the look of a true SuperSport car with the right of its price tag along with it prestigious Lamborghini name. With that, I simply do not feel that Lexus has yet earned their place with the LFA as to be a true worthy SuperSports Car with a near 400,000K price tag. But is the LFA an amazing machine, like I said without a doubt.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-10-12 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-11-12, 01:22 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey guys, please tone down the aggressive commentary in this thread and avoid making discussion personal.

Originally Posted by xander247
And one thing which I find funny to me after reading the posts in this thread is that many make it seem like Lexus should get all of this recognition just because they made their first supercar after working on it for 9 years as if it is that difficult for top engineers to design a 200 mph car theses days if they have 9 years to do it and plenty of funding.
First off, welcome to Club Lexus.

I feel compelled to respond because I think you're misunderstanding the praise that Lexus deserves for the LFA project. No one is giving Lexus acclaim because LFA development took so long. Rather, we praise Lexus because its engineers were wiling to put everything else aside in order to build what they viewed as the best supercar they could make. We praise Lexus because the engineers were willing to go back to the drawing board and make massive overhauls to the design because they felt what they had been doing wasn't good enough. We praise Lexus because they repeatedly sent the LFA to endurance events like the Nürburgring 24h, making it a reverse homologation car during development. These are why the LFA took so long to develop, but you must distinguish that we are praising the reasons and not the fact that it did take so long.

Similarly, we don't say the Lexus is great because they sell the LFA at a loss relative to development cost; rather, Lexus deserves praise because they are willing to sell a car at a loss. That's something that any enthusiast should appreciate.

Most of all, Lexus deserves praise because they decided to act. This is a rarity in the car industry these days especially as concerns enthusiast-oriented models. Hopefully, along with the successful release of the FT-86, other manufacturers will realize the importance of action in order to re-establish car enthusiasm.
Old 01-11-12, 02:41 AM
xander247
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Round 3

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
So you are saying an exotic supercar is classified just by its name and its style?? That is all that the merit needs to be for a car to be deemed an exotic supercar??? (With styling being subjective since after seeing LFA in real life I personally consider LFA to be a much more original and beautiful looking design than the cookie-cutter mass produced Italian look of the Aventador and not to mention that low rent cheap interior Aventador has, which is atrocious at best).

Inspite of LFA performing near the highest level available in the exotic supercar industry today and setting records on a few tracks, it should not be considered an exotic supercar??

So LFA was pitted against a $420,000 Ferrari 599 GTB with HGTE track package and it beats the 599 GTB with HGTE package in all performance and handling as well as the subjective driving experience winning overall the comparison. By the same token, it does not matter if the subjective and objective merit all favor the LFA. Since the 599 GTB is a Ferrari the 599 GTB is a supercar, but the LFA is not???

That is laughable. What a joke! LOL

My personal merit for determining what an exotic supercar is purely its substance and its credentials. Not brand worshipping.

You also don't realize the difference between a track and driving dynamics oriented carbon fiber exotic supercar like the LFA and a 4800 lbs GT luxury cruiser such as, Bentley Continental SS. It is as apples to oranges as it gets. Might as well compare the Lexus LS600h to the LFA then.

So what if Aventador is a Lamborghini?? Lamborghini is going to build thousands of those over the next several years while there would only be 500 LFAs ever. Lamborghini is charging that much for a mass produced car while Lexus is charging that much for a very exclusive car. The review clearly states repeatedly that LFA is the more exciting, thrilling and rewarding car to drive.

LFA is indeed an exotic supercar through and through. It sounds like an exotic supercar (the review says LFA's engine is "the best engine ever since Paul Roche's Maclaren F1 engine"), it is built from the ground-up to be an exotic supercar, its bespoke 500 unit purpose build is nothing but exotic and exclusive, it goes like an exotic supercar and most importantly it feels and performs around the race track like a thorough-bred race car(since the Gazoo LFA endurance racer uses everything from the road car) without compromise on luxury.

p.s. FYI, 0 - 60 mph is only a measure of traction from a dead stop. It in no way determines which car is the faster car beyond the 60 mph. Case in point, even a 330 HP Audi TT-RS can do 0 - 60 mph in 3.6 seconds. Does that mean it holds a candle to the LFA in straight line acceleration?? Absolutely no way. Another example is Porsche Turbo S with a 0 - 60 mph in 2.7 seconds.

[/img]
Round 3

I did not say that a SuperSport car is based on its name and style alone; of course performance is a huge factor, however I do think that it is sad that many others simply consider top speed as what justifies a SuperSport car (Which before you misinterpret that as well I am not saying that that is how you classify it I am just stating that people do). Also as far as including the Continental GT SS in my last post, I am fully aware that the Continental GT is in a different class than the LFA. However if you can follow what I was saying, I was using it as an example that it isn’t a shock that companies can produce a 200mph car if they want to.

That being said, Take a look at these cars.

This is how I classify these cars

UltraSport Car:

Bugatti Veyron SS
Koenigsegg Agera R

SuperSport Car:

Pagani Huayra
Ferrari 458 Italia
Lamborghini Aventador
Ferrari 599 GTB

High-End Performance Sport Cars

Lexus LFA
Aston Martin Zagato
McLaren MC-12

Extreme Exotic Sport Car:

Caparo T1

High-End Class Sport Car:

Bentley Continental GT
Aston Martin v12 Vantage
Audi R8
Jaguar XKR

Really Nice Sport Cars:

Chevy Camaro
Nissan GTR

I’m not saying that the LFA isn’t a great car, it is just that I fell it isn’t in the realm of the SuperSports even though it can surly perform as one. But like I said, to me I feel that the LFA lacks the stage presence needed to fully be included as a SuperSport. I believe more people give this car a look not because of its performance nor that it appeals as a SuperSport, but because of its price tag and rarity. Where as when people see this car they wonder what is the name of the car or be interested in seeing the 400,000k for their own eyes up close. But without that price tag most people I believe would just see it as a fine looking sports car not a SuperSport. And even further if you asked someone who knew nothing about this car to just look at it and state how much they think the car is priced at, I can almost guarantee you that their answer will be around 100k or possibly the 100k range. In addition to that, as I stated in my first post that it is nice that the LFA gives the buyer the exclusiveness that it holds, but that is just an excuse for Lexus to justify its price. In fact I’m saying it again that Lexus would have to increase their price of the car just to break even in its production. The reason they are not selling many is not to keep the car exclusive but to minimize their losses in making this car but to sell enough for people to gain interest in the company. Because I bet you in just a couple of years even by this years auto shows, Lexus is going to introduce a second generation LFA, not just the LF-LC concept, that is going to be around half the price with an upgradable sport tuning package.

But yes I am thankful for the LFA in hopes that Lamborghini and Ferrari will began to realize that there are other challengers and will stop cutting corners to cut on production cost but it is a business.

Last edited by xander247; 01-11-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-11-12, 08:10 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

^^^

Many of those pictures are of modded cars with aftermarket staggered wheels and springs etc. You cannot compare a modded car look to a stock car look.

Nearly every magazine that has tested these cars back to back (Evo UK:Top 10 best supercars of 2010, Top Gear: Top 5 best exotic supercars of 2010) have said LFA feels more special and more exotic (ofcourse it is because is a carbon fiber exotic supercar while most of the others you listed are not).

Again, I have seen twice LFA parked next to Lamborghinis and Ferrari 458 Italia in car shows and the crowds LFA draws and the praises LFA draws are far bigger than any of those other exotic cars you mentioned. So you are dead wrong about LFA not having the presence since I have witnessed it in real life from 1 foot away. Not just through looking at pictures in a computer.

Anyway, you seem to have given credit on objective matters and the subjective opinons are subject to the person so I will have to agree to disagree there. To me LFA is atleast as exotic supercar as any of the other supercars.

From Evo UK 2010 "Best cars of the year 2010"

"There is nothing out there that has felt this special since the Macca F1", says Chris Harris. "Too bad it has to go before it could be compared on the track with the best of the rest".

There is nothing in the world like the Lexus LFA. It is more special and intriguing than the 458 and demonstrates an extraordinary level of passion and commitment. Bespoke and limited edition, it is also a genuine supercar that can scare the pants off you. This is mainly thanks to it's extraordinary 552bhp 4.8-litre V10 that does everything a Carrera GT's does and then goes completely mad as it closes in on 9500rpm. Its uncompromising ride adds to the challenge, and it was generally agreed that it would have been a bit of a handful up on the moors,
but we were beguiled. "It's a beautiful thing, all the details, and it has the integrity and functionality of a Lexus. Feels like a step up from everything else here," said Meaden. "Very, very special," said Metcalfe. Thank you, Lexus.
Evo UK 2010 "Best engine of the year 2010" (beat 458 Italia, SLS AMG, GT2 RS, GT3 RS, LP570-4, GTR etc.)

"Car magazine: LFA vs Aventador":

An F1 derived engine that is the best this side of Paul Roche's Maclaren F1 engine"
Clearly the crowds in this video LFA is drawing shows how the 458 Italia parked beside it is getting completely ignored:

Car and driver LFA vs 599 GTB with the HGTE track package:

The Lexus feels more athletic than the Ferrari, and its performance is more accessible, more immediately. The engine is remarkable. Austin noted: “They  figured out the engine. It’s really strong, and then you hit about 6500 rpm and your eyes get all big as the power hits another level.” The only street-car engine that matches this one for smoothness, ecstatic noise, and power delivery is the 458 Italia’s.

These minor quibbles aside, the LFA is an amazing car—and an amazing achievement. Out of the box, Toyota’s first supercar beats a Ferrari. Yeah, you read that correctly. If Toyota put the same soul and *passion into the rest of its cars, the company would be unbeatable.
AutoZeitung Germany: Lexus LFA vs SLS AMG

[German translation]

"Like a NASCAR, SLS AMG roars through the race track, but in the manner of a precise formula racer Lexus LFA dominates it"

In a nutshell, I could put up lots of expert opinion of how LFA feels more special and exotic with presence better than most European rivals, but it is a moot point since at the end of the day, it is purely subjective and my own personal experience through seeing LFA with other rivals in real life. That is why I will agree to disagree here.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-11-12 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-11-12, 10:25 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care to get into battles over cars, but to say the LFA looks like a 2nd gen GTR is just nonsense. It's much lower and wider, it looks nothing like it. The shape is totally different. The only thing they share is the layout- 2 door supercars.
Old 01-12-12, 08:36 PM
LexFather

I'll say it again and I'm going to write an editorial about it. I cannot fathom the hate and disgust the LFA gets compared to any other exotic I've known about in my life. Every single reason is made why it sucks, why it isn't as good, why its not worth it, etc etc. I've never EVER seen a exotic car picked apart so much in my life! Its incredible!

At first it was perfectly understandable but after nearly 2 years and proving itself it more than belongs in a rare elite group of all time favorites people still sit down and try to rationalize why it stinks. To hell with all the expert opinions, the 7:14 Ring Run etc. No, lets pick the car apart.

Lexus again damned if they did, damned if they didn't. If the LFA was aluminum we would hear that they suck and didn't make carbon fiber. It if was a V-6, we would hear why that isn't an exotic. If Lexus didn't have the ***** to build it, we would hear why Lexus sucks for bailing out. If the car lapped the Ring in 7:35 we would hear how slow it is. If it was priced at $150,000, we would hear that Lexus cheaped out and is going for value and can't sell a $375,000 car. If Lexus sold 2,500 we would hear that the LFA isn't special and a volume car.

The arguments are circular, tired & it shows clear as day who is an enthusiast and who is not. I'd much rather people say straight out "I hate Lexus, Lexus sucks" instead of trying to act like they know what they are talking about.

You know if after 2 years the reviews were lackluster, the performance was lackluster and it was half assed then the criticism is perfectly understandable. The EXPERTS have called it the greatest car from Japan, one of the all time greats, one of the most special cars made today, the best engine and/or sound today, the best interior of exotics, incredible construction with its in-house carbon fiber weaving, best fit and finish. lapping the Ring, the most famous track, the STANDARD track in an incredible 7:14, one of the purest driving cars around, etc etc...

It just makes me want one more than ever.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-12-12 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 08:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with you Mike.
However, I won't spend time and energy trying to convince the remaining naysayers. They will come around as more information and accolades build.
In the beginning I thought it was lacking in some areas. I learned. Now I feel like you....I want one bad!
Old 01-12-12, 09:35 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Most people that hate on it know they'll never be able to drive much less own one.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'll say it again and I'm going to write an editorial about it. I cannot fathom the hate and disgust the LFA gets compared to any other exotic I've known about in my life. Every single reason is made why it sucks, why it isn't as good, why its not worth it, etc etc. I've never EVER seen a exotic car picked apart so much in my life! Its incredible!

At first it was perfectly understandable but after nearly 2 years and proving itself it more than belongs in a rare elite group of all time favorites people still sit down and try to rationalize why it stinks. To hell with all the expert opinions, the 7:14 Ring Run etc. No, lets pick the car apart.

Lexus again damned if they did, damned if they didn't. If the LFA was aluminum we would hear that they suck and didn't make carbon fiber. It if was a V-6, we would hear why that isn't an exotic. If Lexus didn't have the ***** to build it, we would hear why Lexus sucks for bailing out. If the car lapped the Ring in 7:35 we would hear how slow it is. If it was priced at $150,000, we would hear that Lexus cheaped out and is going for value and can't sell a $375,000 car. If Lexus sold 2,500 we would hear that the LFA isn't special and a volume car.

The arguments are circular, tired & it shows clear as day who is an enthusiast and who is not. I'd much rather people say straight out "I hate Lexus, Lexus sucks" instead of trying to act like they know what they are talking about.

You know if after 2 years the reviews were lackluster, the performance was lackluster and it was half assed then the criticism is perfectly understandable. The EXPERTS have called it the greatest car from Japan, one of the all time greats, one of the most special cars made today, the best engine and/or sound today, the best interior of exotics, incredible construction with its in-house carbon fiber weaving, best fit and finish. lapping the Ring, the most famous track, the STANDARD track in an incredible 7:14, one of the purest driving cars around, etc etc...

It just makes me want one more than ever.
Old 01-22-12, 07:32 PM
LOISF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aventador + LFA = Supercar heaven for me :-D
Old 01-24-12, 03:06 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LFA is an incredible achievement, for Lexus. I hope some of the features of the $388k car move rapidly down the line to cars I might actually buy in the next few years. I do not hold out any hope the exotics will move down market but I know Lexus will.