Motor Trend: Lexus LFA - Top 5 eye catching fantasy cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 10:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Motor Trend: Lexus LFA - Top 5 eye catching fantasy cars

Lexus LFA

"The LFA is rare, great-looking and great-sounding," says Manfredi. A product 10 years in the making, the LFA is a truly a work of art. Toyota took its time perfecting this racer: A sketch was unveiled in 2000, and then it appeared in the flesh as a teaser car at the 2005 Detroit show. Two years later came a revised concept. Finally, the 2012 beast was finally unleashed. Priced at a shocking $400,000, this supercar is sure to have women and men alike gawking.

MT Take: "First impression: The LFA rides hard. Really hard. No variable shocks; the chassis is chef's choice only. On smoother stretches of autobahn, the stiffness is largely irrelevant, but it's not hard to imagine the LFA growing tiresome during extended drives on brittle roads. The V-10 is scintillating: It pulls very hard, flaunts seemingly hidden torque (that light package), and propels the car ferociously (Toyota claims a 0-to-60 of 3.7 seconds and a top end of 204 mph). At 6000 rpm it's just screaming away -- with 3000 rpm left!"
http://www.motortrend.com/features/m...asy_picks.html
Old 10-07-11, 02:56 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Motor Trend: Top 11 Cars - LFA Comes in at #9

The LFA had a miserable showing in this month's issue of Motor Trend. Seems as though everyone thought it wasn't ready for prime time at Laguna Seca. It's a shame, even more so, considering the cost of the vehicle and they went on to call it the world's most expensive drift machine.
Old 10-07-11, 06:53 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
The LFA had a miserable showing in this month's issue of Motor Trend. Seems as though everyone thought it wasn't ready for prime time at Laguna Seca. It's a shame, even more so, considering the cost of the vehicle and they went on to call it the world's most expensive drift machine.

Miserable showing?? Wasn't ready for primetime at Laguna Seca. ROFL. How is that related to the article posted in the main thread??

Where exactly was it written that LFA is the "most expensive drift machine"?? The way you have written proves your ignorance since you completely took everything out of context. Want me to post all their comments here??

All they said was that LFA had the weakest tires out of the group especially when considering most cars were wearing R compound race track tires. Most of the cars were on R compound tires with a tread wear rating of 80 while Lexus LFA was the only car with highest 300 tread wear rating street tires.

Still, LFA ran one of the quickest lap despite being on the most mediocre tires compared to the whole bunch. If anything, it shows how capable LFA around the race track despite being on the weakest tires that can handle far less power than Lexus LFA is putting out.

"Other interesting Edmonds observations: "The [Bridgestone Potenzas] are the most low-tech parts on the LFA," and "The rear tires on the Boss 302 are three years old, so they're obviously an off-the-[dusty] shelf fitment."

The flipside is that I sat next to Justin Bell, our other pro driver, as he gracefully danced with the Lexus around each corner. One caveat: Prior to Best Driver's Car, Justin had spent an entire week demo'ing the LFA to potential customers around -- you guessed it -- Laguna Seca. His performance was masterful. It was like sitting in a practice room while Steve Vai ran arpeggios. Beyond impressive, and well beyond the average Joe's abilities. Thing is, to really appreciate Vai, you need to be a guitar prodigy yourself. And while Justin loved the LFA, our other pro driver had gripes.

When I think a car is really handling the way I want it to, when I go the fastest on a racetrack, I don't have to think about driving it. It was like work. And for me, that's less enjoyable that something I can just haul *** in, like, oh, I don't know, the Mustang."
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Centennial Edition: 1:34.4 (Michelin Pilot R compounds)
Ferrari 458 Italia: 1:36.2
Lexus LFA: 1:36.4
Nissan GTR: 1:36.4
Audi R8 V10 GT: 1:36.4 (R compound Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires)
Porsche 997.2 GT3 RS: 1:36.4 (Michelin Pilot Cup R compounds tires)
Mercedes SLS AMG: 1:38.9
Mustang Boss 302 Leguna Seca Edition: 1:41.0 (R compound Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires)
Porsche Cayman R PDK: 1:41.7
Lotus Evora: 1:42.5 (R compound Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires)
BMW 1M: 1:43.4

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-07-11 at 08:03 AM.