LFA Model (2012)

LFA Nürburgring Edition experience in Nordschleife - Aug 31/Sep 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 04:47 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default LFA Nürburgring Edition experience in Nordschleife - Aug 31/Sep 1, 2011

As I mentioned briefly on my twitter last week, Lexus will be running a 2-day program at the Nürburgring Nordschleife for a few current and future LFA customers from around the world (I won't be attending). As far as driving features, this will include a track acclimation program on the Nordschleife in the Nürburgring Edition, a hot lap with a professional driver, and a brief public road test.

Additionally, on the first night of the program, owners will be invited to attend a product and technical exhibition on the Nürburgring Edition as well as have dinner with Lexus LFA staff (gonna assume this means some of the drivers and the head honchos / key players, maybe even Haruhiko Tanahashi).

Because interest far exceeded availability (I was told there were 20 interested parties just from the US, and only 5 available slots), Lexus USA did a lottery to determine who could go, and I was not selected. Obviously I'm quite disappointed, and this also means I won't be able to report back on the event - but I'm hoping either someone from another country might get to go or perhaps we'll see coverage of this via media from Lexus.

Nevertheless, despite my disappointment I admit programs like this are just some of the huge perks that LFA owners have received, and I'm glad Lexus remains committed to giving LFA owners access to special experiences.

Last edited by gengar; 07-13-11 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 04:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

thanks for the update. i think it's a huge bummer that ONLY FIVE available slots... if the demand is like that, they should just do it for a few days to accommodate more people... this is really unfortunate
Old 07-13-11, 04:57 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by rominl
thanks for the update. i think it's a huge bummer that ONLY FIVE available slots... if the demand is like that, they should just do it for a few days to accommodate more people... this is really unfortunate
Huge costs involved for such a program, though, and the Nordschleife is probably not that easy to book. Hopefully they run another program.
Old 07-13-11, 05:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by gengar
Huge costs involved for such a program, though, and the Nordschleife is probably not that easy to book. Hopefully they run another program.
very true. my guess is they are losing money on that day's event as well... but yes, if they can hold more of this for lfa owners, i think that's good
Old 07-13-11, 05:08 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by rominl
very true. my guess is they are losing money on that day's event as well... but yes, if they can hold more of this for lfa owners, i think that's good
Ya, for sure. It's especially disappointing just given my interest in the LFA development history there, not to mention my current interest in the motorsport. It's a bummer if Haruhiko Tanahshi will be there and I won't get to see him again (he was an excellent host on the factory tour) and of course getting to meet some of the Gazoo Racing drivers would be pretty awesome. Plus, I don't know if I'll ever get to drive a Nürburgring Edition.

Obviously, it's a dream to drive at the Nordschleife (as I'm sure it is for many driving enthusiasts), so a lot of my disappointment was due to my impression that the Nürburgring was rather difficult to get safe and relatively private instruction on. However, it seems that may actually be changing; AMG just revealed an entire gamut of driving instruction courses spanning tons of race tracks, including some at the Nürburgring. I'd just rather do it in an LFA, clearly.
Old 07-13-11, 05:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

of course, that's the car you have so definitely more fun if you can drive that (or the nur spec) on that track. i don't know, to me if lexus is focusing so much on the driving aspect of this machine, and that's almost like their main selling point, i think they should definitely put together more driving events on different tracks, etc... maybe even help coordinate owners to ship their own cars to the track (of course more logistics behind). i am sure owners like you will be very happy and willing to participate. i know i would
Old 07-13-11, 05:52 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

gengar, thanks for sharing that news, it is cool to hear about events like this.

But 5 available slots on 2 days?

Nissan hosted a similar event at Nürburgring when the GTR came out in 2008 for 1,300 people, over 19 days.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/23/n...e-nurburgring/

Then they did it again at Silverstone for 500 people.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Nissan...urgring-36438/

Last edited by BNR34; 07-13-11 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 06:25 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by BNR34
gengar, thanks for sharing that news, it is cool to hear about events like this.

Nissan hosted a similar event at Nürburgring when the GTR came out in 2008 for 1,300 people, over 19 days.
GT-R race academy was only at Nürburgring GP track, not Nordschleife. Huge difference.

Same with Silverstone. Lexus has done tons of "normal", non-Nordschleife tracks too, so you have to compare those. Just look at Infineon with the LFA for example, it'll be close to 20 days by the end of the year that they've done driving programs (of course some of those required payment). But even say a local track like Autobahn CC, where I went for 2 sessions, they've done something like 6 days now with the LFA? That's since 2010, of course.

Keep in mind also the 5 slots are just for US owners. Also, upon re-reading my e-mails I believe they actually upped it to 9 slots for US owners. Those 9 slots might just be for US-based LFA owners who didn't get the Nürburgring package, and all those people may have been invited as a preview. So in total, not at all a bad number considering there is only one Nürburgring Edition that we know of at this time which will have to be shared across participants.

Lexus USA admitted they completely underestimated demand. I'm willing to cut them some slack given the special nature of this particular event.

Last edited by gengar; 07-13-11 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 06:51 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Lexus USA admitted they completely underestimated demand. I'm willing to cut them some slack given the special nature of this particular event.
Seems like this won't be the last of these programs.

Hope you get the next one!
Old 07-13-11, 08:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/23/n...e-nurburgring/

Then they did it again at Silverstone for 500 people.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Nissan...urgring-36438/
Thats great for them. Did Nissan let hundreds of people ride in the LFA all over the world at free driving events in their 80k car? No, Lexus did in their 375k exotic though.

Let the different brands use their different methods and lets stop comparing all the time.
Old 07-14-11, 11:49 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Gengar

I have to believe they will find a slot for you.

I was starting to wonder what they would come up with for a Summer thing for owners and this is certainly a big thing.

Have they mentioned anything about an owner meet and greet yet (maybe after the 500 cars are delivered)?

Are you taking the car to any tracks this summer?

What about a roll down Michigan Ave, Oak and Rush so your car can have some you tube time (from the tourists)?
Old 07-14-11, 12:02 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not even aware of this event. I guess no one from Canada is going.
Old 07-20-11, 05:10 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I was not even aware of this event. I guess no one from Canada is going.
It's possible Lexus Canada hasn't figured out the details yet.
Old 07-21-11, 10:37 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible Lexus Canada hasn't figured out the details yet.
Or the most likely scenario is that they only invited the one customer who bought the N package.
Old 07-21-11, 11:24 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if they'll be trying for a faster time during this event. I'm betting they go around faster than 7:22 when this takes place. Just gotta wait for the 'hot lap'!

Quick Reply: LFA Nürburgring Edition experience in Nordschleife - Aug 31/Sep 1, 2011