LFA Model (2012)

Best Motoring Fuji Teaser: '12 GTR vs Lexus LFA vs ZR-1 vs F430 Scuderia vs GT2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 08:31 PM
LexFather

Thanks motohide!!!!
Old 05-09-11, 08:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
With cars like the GT-R passing and out accelerating the LFA, maybe it's more of a question of whether that car is really stock.
AWD and turbos=more low end torque, better initial traction.

Again, note that the LFA catches up with and blows by a GT-R at speeds over 100mph when the V-10 is airing out, redlining reaching maxium velocity of 202mph.
Old 05-09-11, 09:45 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Also, the GTR stock comes with high-grip tires while the Lexus LFA does not. Big difference there.

You can see in the first two laps, Kinosheita was ahead or right by the GTR at all times. Once the third lap came along, he found it increasingly difficult to keep LFA's back end from swinging out in the longer turns (notice steering corrections), which evidently due to the tires overheating and getting greasy especially on a low-grip track.

Tsukuba being a high-grip track would have been a different story.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
AWD and turbos=more low end torque, better initial traction.

Again, note that the LFA catches up with and blows by a GT-R at speeds over 100mph when the V-10 is airing out, redlining reaching maxium velocity of 202mph.
Old 05-09-11, 11:35 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing is that Fuji Speedway is at an 1800+ft above sea level elevation, which would rob NA cars of power. Turbo cars like the GTR and the GT2 wouldn't lose nearly as much.
Old 05-10-11, 05:20 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way everyone here is trying to justify the LFAs performance is nothing short of funny.
Old 05-10-11, 07:38 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Turbo cars almost lose no power at higher elevations. For example, in Cape Town South Africa at 5000 feet above sea level, 414 HP E92 M3 proves actually slower than bi-turbo 335i with only 300 HP.

The first two laps went very well with the first lap LFA being at the front the whole time, but the third lap is where the tires on LFA started showing their limitations.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Another thing is that Fuji Speedway is at an 1800+ft above sea level elevation, which would rob NA cars of power. Turbo cars like the GTR and the GT2 wouldn't lose nearly as much.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-10-11 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-10-11, 07:43 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I don't about the power since GTR '12 dyno around 430 - 440 wheel HP and the older one's (like in the MotorTrend comparo) were in the high-300s and low-400 lbs. Then you factor in the 400 lbs more weight as most weigh in the 3950 lbs region, it is difficult to see. Lexus LFA dyno'ed 515 wheel HP on a very reliable dyno.

If you look at the Insideline drag race in the dessert, LFA only lost due to spinning off the line and then held 2 cars behind it all the way till the end of the race.

The car was also very green with only 867 KM on it (541 miles).

However, as noted before LFA's aerodynamics are not ideal at all for high speed acceleration. In Battle of The Supercars, Foust kept finding a way to retract the spoiler for the top speed acceleration test on 1-mile runway.

Lexus officially puts it at 0.31 with the spoiler retracted and it measured to be 0.39 with the spoiler deployed by SportAuto.
***sigh*** I'll only say that while I do believe the LFA is also slightly underrated, the Inside line dyno consistently overrates everything. Food for thought.

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
The way everyone here is trying to justify the LFAs performance is nothing short of funny.
Good God I swear!!! I'm one of the biggest fans of the LFA and the bull**** is grating on my nerves.
Old 05-10-11, 09:13 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Good God I swear!!! I'm one of the biggest fans of the LFA and the bull**** is grating on my nerves.
Ditto that
Old 05-10-11, 11:35 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Seriously? People are stating facts here, not BS. Elevation plays a huge roll, unless you really believe the fastest car there, the ZR1- is the slowest. It's funny that the ZR1 is faster in the Nurburgring tests than the gtr, but here it's last place just about? The VETTE gets a pass but the LFA is bad and needs 'excuses', right?
Old 05-10-11, 02:59 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TF109B
Seriously? People are stating facts here, not BS. Elevation plays a huge roll, unless you really believe the fastest car there, the ZR1- is the slowest. It's funny that the ZR1 is faster in the Nurburgring tests than the gtr, but here it's last place just about? The VETTE gets a pass but the LFA is bad and needs 'excuses', right?
Elevation plays a factor for all cars here. To say that air density dosnt effect a forced induction platform is honestly laughable.

Its also funny that people dont understand the difference between speed, quickness, and overall lap time ability.
Fastest cars in the comparison are the GT2 Rs and the Zr1. They both have a top speed of 205mph. There was no test of speed, just quickness.

Please find me the comment where we have given the Zr1 a pass? Every car in this comparison lost the the new GTR. There are many factors, like the GT2 driver missing gears, that affect the overall test. Regardless, at the end of the day speculation is not going to change the facts.

What we must remember that this was a race. Unless each driver did timed hot laps in each car, the true winner will never surface.
Any car/driver combo can win on any given day. Just the way things go...
Old 05-10-11, 06:16 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

That's a point I was making in previous comments. The ZR1 holds a fast lap at the ring, but fuji its struggling? This show is entertaining, but not a benchmark. There were turns Kino could have taken in 1st gear rather 2nd, The guy in the GTR looked to have troubles downshifting at times... I'm not going to say the GTR would beat the LFA or the other way around. It was just an entertaining video.
Old 05-10-11, 06:32 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.... So many here just can't accept that LFA was slower than a GTR...
I'm gonna go buy me a burger. Video did what it was supposed to, and showed all these great cars in great footage, and in the hands of skilled drivers in a 5 car race demo. LFA wasn't quick for many reasons, but if you read anything I posted, LFA's reasons for being in this universe is not to beat a GTR or Corvette.

While for the GTR and Vette, their sole reasons are to beat other cars, selling on the usual 0-60 and Nurbrugring laps. That's just that. Did you see Kinoshi7a's face? his joyous comments? He was having a time of his life!

Ok, I'm out... I'm gonna go out to my own track event now. See ya.

Last edited by motohide; 05-10-11 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-10-11, 06:56 PM
LexFather

Okay everyone relax for a sec. Thanks
Old 05-11-11, 12:30 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by motohide
Did you see Kinoshi7a's face? his joyous comments? He was having a time of his life!
Serious! Kino$h1ta's voice had a range of different octaves explaining the LFA...both first impression and the time attack! It was a most ripping victory! LOL
Old 05-11-11, 05:22 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think there's room for any more excuses. We have Kino****a piloting the car and him shifting past redline. I enjoyed seeing him have a blast with the car.

Quick Reply: Best Motoring Fuji Teaser: '12 GTR vs Lexus LFA vs ZR-1 vs F430 Scuderia vs GT2 RS