LFA Model (2012)

CL EXCLUSIVE: LFA# 047 & #057 Arrive in the USA. Gengar's LFA is here!!!

Old 06-04-11, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
The EPA mpg on the sticker is 11/16.

I'd be surprised if they didn't ship the car with a full tank given the long transit time by sea. Of course, whether the shipping weight listed is an accurate representation of the actual shipping weight is a different story.
really? interesting. seems like they changed it after the initial press release or so.

but then i think 11/16 sounds a lot more reasonable for engine like this
Old 06-04-11, 10:05 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The EPA mpg on the sticker is 11/16.

I'd be surprised if they didn't ship the car with a full tank given the long transit time by sea. Of course, whether the shipping weight listed is an accurate representation of the actual shipping weight is a different story.
Okay I just looked back at my pics of your car. The tank is almost empty during transport:

Old 06-04-11, 10:40 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just read through this whole thread... It was epic

Congrats gengar and thanks for sharing everything with us
Old 06-06-11, 02:58 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
really? interesting. seems like they changed it after the initial press release or so.

but then i think 11/16 sounds a lot more reasonable for engine like this
Ya, given the engine sits at around 3k rpm at 70mph, I'm surprised if even 16mpg is actually attainable on the highway. Of course, mpg is pretty irrelevant for a car like this - which is why gas guzzler stinks so much.

Originally Posted by flipside909
Okay I just looked back at my pics of your car. The tank is almost empty during transport:
Cool, I'd totally forgotten you'd taken pictures of the instrument panel on arrival. I had read some opinions that it wasn't good to store cars without full fuel tanks so assumed the same would hold for shipping cars. Of course, I'm not an expert on shipping cars.

Still, even 20 gallons of gas won't account for the difference between the 3,344 reported figure on my certificate of origin vs the 3600ish without-driver weight reported by R&T on their spec sheet for the prototype they tested (and I tend to believe R&T, since they actually do weigh the cars they test). Maybe someday I'll get around to actually weighing my LFA.
Old 06-07-11, 07:27 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gengar, thanks for the pic bro. OUt of curiosity, is there any special way you wash and wax the car? If I'm not mistaken the body panels are not metal are they? So I'm assuming the paint needs special care.
Old 06-07-11, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

not necessarily, it has more to do with the paint than the material of the panels. bumpers (plastic), body kits (poly urethene, fiber glass), aluminum panels, etc... they are all waxed and polished the same way. even for cf panels, as long as paints are put on correctly, you are just cleaning / polishing the paint itself
Old 06-07-11, 01:07 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Gengar, thanks for the pic bro. OUt of curiosity, is there any special way you wash and wax the car? If I'm not mistaken the body panels are not metal are they? So I'm assuming the paint needs special care.
The painted areas are standard paint with a standard clear coat so the care is the same. The only areas needing special care are those with exposed CF (the bottom lip) and the windows (some are polycarb). I've done a couple touch-ups but no full wash yet.

Some care still needs to be taken during washing because of all the intakes and exhausts and "exposed" fans. For example, there are vents directly under the grills on the hood, and exposed fans inside the rear radiator grill. Lexus doesn't recommend using streams of water during washing so as to avoid getting water in the vents or damaging the fans.

Last edited by gengar; 06-07-11 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-11-11, 08:58 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read from beginning to end and I'm amazed at this car. Great photos and great car. Congrats gengar. Keep updating us.
Old 06-12-11, 11:49 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The painted areas are standard paint with a standard clear coat so the care is the same. The only areas needing special care are those with exposed CF (the bottom lip) and the windows (some are polycarb). I've done a couple touch-ups but no full wash yet.

Some care still needs to be taken during washing because of all the intakes and exhausts and "exposed" fans. For example, there are vents directly under the grills on the hood, and exposed fans inside the rear radiator grill. Lexus doesn't recommend using streams of water during washing so as to avoid getting water in the vents or damaging the fans.
I've had excellent luck using ONR (Optimum No Rinse) on my cars in the winter (in the garage w/ 2 bucket method). Produces minimal water on the floor and in other unwanted places.
Old 06-13-11, 03:54 AM
gengar

Originally Posted by twylie
I've had excellent luck using ONR (Optimum No Rinse) on my cars in the winter (in the garage w/ 2 bucket method). Produces minimal water on the floor and in other unwanted places.
Ya, I was thinking ONR would be an excellent candidate for the LFA. I already use it on my IS F (well my old one anyway, I haven't washed the new one yet). Washing inside the garage is also clutch for the cold winters.
Old 06-13-11, 08:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Did I miss something..when did you trade into an 11 F?
Old 06-14-11, 04:00 AM
AP1to911
Driver School Candidate

Congrats !!
Old 06-14-11, 02:18 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by flipside909
Did I miss something..when did you trade into an 11 F?
Didn't actually trade - just picked up a new one as I'm loaning the '08 for a bit. I generally keep my cars for a while and would normally never upgrade in successive generations, but the personal circumstances just worked out - and I have to say, the '11 is very, very good. I posted some brief comments in post #4 in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-at-is-f.html
Old 06-14-11, 05:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Didn't actually trade - just picked up a new one as I'm loaning the '08 for a bit. I generally keep my cars for a while and would normally never upgrade in successive generations, but the personal circumstances just worked out - and I have to say, the '11 is very, very good. I posted some brief comments in post #4 in this thread:

I'm with you. Other than that ugly tachometer layout, the suspension in the 11 F is very very good. I actually enjoy it right out of the box...wheel gap and all...more so than my 09 F. It was fun to flog the 11 F at Infineon and its a blast to drive around town. Those little suspension tweaks made a big difference in my opinion. No wonder it got lap times comparable to the e92 M3 for a change!
Old 06-14-11, 06:40 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Nice, you have the quickest and sportiest Lexus in your collection.
I still don't know what I will get when my IS350 lease is up in about 4 months.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CL EXCLUSIVE: LFA# 047 & #057 Arrive in the USA. Gengar's LFA is here!!!