LFA Model (2012)

Effect of LFA on brand image discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 11:53 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
No, but I can guarantee 100% they are completely different. To put it simply, a 4100 lbs car will never feel like a 3400 lbs car no matter which way it is cut.
A 4.8L car will never feel like a 6.5L one, either.
Old 03-09-11, 01:19 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

I think there are a number of lurkers here who have bought the LFAs. They just don't want to contribute. I was told they followed the development closely and know everything about the car, i.e. the latest info, videos etc... CL seems to be the best source of info for the LFA.

Last edited by 07grIS350; 03-09-11 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 01:24 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
It's not like these other exotics are 'crap' where there is dire need of replacement. They serve their purpose as powerful street cars with all the goodies that come with the badge; status, sex appeal, emotion, etc. A LFA will be a welcoming addition. The LP owner is more likely to trade-up to the more powerful version that comes out.
Yup! I think you're exactly right.
Old 03-09-11, 01:33 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I think there are a number of lurkers here who have bought the LFAs. They just don't want to contribute. I was told they know everything about the car, i.e. the latest info, videos etc...
What, now it's ghosts? I've heard every explanation about why there are so few LFA owners on any forums. The most probable (if the sales numbers are real) is that it's a new customer base, a base that is partially/mostly made up of dealers who also don't typically post. The other possible explanation is that they simply don't exist in the first place. To think that a Lamborghini or Ferrari owner who posts would suddenly go quiet when buying an LFA is just not at all probable, which is why I dismiss the theory that they are 'mostly' existing exotic owners.
Old 03-09-11, 01:54 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TommyJames
What, now it's ghosts? I've heard every explanation about why there are so few LFA owners on any forums. The most probable (if the sales numbers are real) is that it's a new customer base, a base that is partially/mostly made up of dealers who also don't typically post. The other possible explanation is that they simply don't exist in the first place. To think that a Lamborghini or Ferrari owner who posts would suddenly go quiet when buying an LFA is just not at all probable, which is why I dismiss the theory that they are 'mostly' existing exotic owners.
I don't disagree with your theory. I am just telling what I know.
Old 03-20-11, 04:26 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 78 Posts

I think Lexus did a great job on ever part of the LFA but one. Price! There are to many other cars out there that can match or beat an LFA for a lower cost. Sure you would be one of only 500 ever built but that's where the $375K price tag ends. Exclusivity is all you are really getting at the end of the day.
Old 03-20-11, 05:21 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyJames
What, now people can't lurk forums because don't believe they're there?

07gris350 is a credible, LFA buyer and has attended driving events with other LFA buyers.
Old 03-20-11, 05:30 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Straight line, true low-11 seconds for LFA is nothing earth-shattering by exotic car standards these days since most can match that or beat that. However, LFA philosophy was never about breaking records in a straight line for the dollar or offering the best hp/weight ratio for the dollar.

Of all those cheaper cars, none of them outperform (in most cases even so much as match) the LFA on its intended purpose around the race track or driving dynamics with the exception of stripped down single-purpose cars like the MacLaren MPC or GT2 RS etc. It has to be taken into account the technology, quality, material and engineering that goes into the LFA down to real-time traffic updates.

There are several cars that are more expensive than LFA yet, inferior in the driving dynamics department and also track performance, but never raise any eyebrows. However, those could always hide behind the superficial things like badging and brand compensating through prestige point.

Like I have posted in the past, when Porsche Carrera GT and Enzo came out in 2004, $150,000 Ford GT with 550 HP for a fraction of its price went toe-to-toe with these cars on every single level. Straight line, handling, braking. You name it. Yet, no one ever criticized the Carrera GT or Enzo being overpriced because of their badges (except ofcourse, muscle car fans) since people understood the brands are about more than numbers on paper.

Point is, Lexus built LFA with a very specific philosophy, which cannot be understood by looking at numbers on paper. The scale for this is a lot broader.

Originally Posted by I nd ISF
I think Lexus did a great job on ever part of the LFA but one. Price! There are to many other cars out there that can match or beat an LFA for a lower cost. Sure you would be one of only 500 ever built but that's where the $375K price tag ends. Exclusivity is all you are really getting at the end of the day.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-20-11 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-20-11, 08:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by I nd ISF
lol all i can say is the car isn't for you