LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package to Debut at Geneva Auto Show (March 3rd, 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 01:46 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
forged magnesium? that is special. if this is true, those are some lightweight wheels. magnesium is what F1 teams use for their wheels.
The BBS RE-Mg have been around for a bit - really awesome wheels, indeed. I think a couple people over at the Porsche forums got them on their GT3s.

Originally Posted by rominl
awesome!!!!!!!! i hope there will be even more details on the car
Agreed, I can't wait for the specs. I think 07grIS350 mentioned that the sound system and the spoiler mechanism are high weight, so it'll be fun to see the actual weight reduction especially after Lexus previously weren't expecting more than a "nominal" reduction.

Last edited by gengar; 02-17-11 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-17-11, 02:02 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Send it to Top Gear UK for a powerlap!
I said reputable.

But seriously I do hope Top Gear can stop their wet lap BS and give the car the chance it deserves to shine on the Power Board. Also hope that the new Stig (Tiff?) can drive as well as Ben Collins around the Top Gear test track.
Old 02-17-11, 02:07 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not surprised that the BBS wheels come in Magnesium, I'm just happy that the LFA could be using those wheels on the Nurb' edition. Serious lightweight wheels are a plus for a car like this.

About the sound system, I'm not sure how much it'd weigh, but I remember seeing photos of the Nurb' edition Naruse-san got into his fatal accident in, and the speakers in the door were still there, at least their outline. I'd love to see it there at the Geneva auto show in Black, I'm not a fan of the orange color. I'm betting the fixed wing saves a decent amount of weight though. If they did like Ferrari and co. and had no carpet and the like, I'm sure they'd save even more weight. But I don't think that's the case. I bet it's still pretty plush inside.
Old 02-17-11, 02:15 PM
gengar

I would imagine carpet delete would be an available option if requested. It surprised me how many no-cost deletes were available on the spreadsheet that I didn't find out about until I actually went to ordering.

Did I or anyone else ever post how much the lightweight sound system in the LFA weighs? My recollection is someone, somewhere mentioned it was only around 28lbs. So not a huge weight reduction, but pretty significant as far as "unnecessary" things that can be taken out.
Old 02-17-11, 02:20 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

so you figure 30lbs. for the sound system, maybe 40+ lbs. for the wing arrangement? That's my guess. Taking into account it'll be a fixed wing without the mechanical parts to raise it at such and such mph. How much do you think gengar? And do you remember anything else that could be deleted? Did you ever ask what would be deleted/included with the Nurb package?
Old 02-17-11, 03:08 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I think the metal, motor assembly of the wing altogether is between 90 - 120 lbs.

so you figure 30lbs. for the sound system, maybe 40+ lbs. for the wing arrangement? That's my guess. Taking into account it'll be a fixed wing without the mechanical parts to raise it at such and such mph. How much do you think gengar? And do you remember anything else that could be deleted? Did you ever ask what would be deleted/included with the Nurb package?
Old 02-17-11, 03:21 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
Agreed, I can't wait for the specs. I think 07grIS350 mentioned that the sound system and the spoiler mechanism are high weight, so it'll be fun to see the actual weight reduction especially after Lexus previously weren't expecting more than a "nominal" reduction.
Yes, the LFA tech told me that the most of the weight that added to the base 32XX lbs are in the ML/nav and the motorized spoiler, and he's also said the latter is the biggest weight contributor. I think the power seats can also be weight reduction target.
Old 02-17-11, 04:17 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

You could always put some carbon recaros in it like the blue LFA in Japan had! I wish they had that option. Maybe the Nurb edition will feature things like this? Who knows, in a couple weeks we'll find out though.
Old 02-21-11, 08:23 AM
Koukir32
Driver School Candidate

I just wondering if anyone in the US ordered one of these in Nur-spec???
Old 02-21-11, 01:26 PM
gengar

I recall reading that the lightweight ML system was supposed to be just 28lbs? I actually don't remember where I read that and a quick google search didn't show up anything, so I'm not sure, but if it's correct then your 30lb estimate is right on.

As far as actual removals, we should wait for the official press release - but my earlier communications with Lexus indicated that there are only three weight reduction features on the Nürburgring Edition that aren't available on the standard model: the wheels, the fixed wing, and CF trim replacing metal trim on the interior.

The Nürburgring Edition will also come with the entire interior in alcantara as standard, but that is actually an option on the standard model even if it's not on the online configurator. The stereo delete is also an option on the standard model.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I think the metal, motor assembly of the wing altogether is between 90 - 120 lbs.
That would really surprise me. I believe the Murcielago mechanism weighs only about 30lbs.
Old 02-21-11, 03:22 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

so carbon fiber through out the interior? That would be awesome to see. Is it me or does the Nurb edition look lower and wider? From the spy shots at pistonspy.com at least. I'm pretty sure it's not wider, but i would assume it's lower. Seeing as how they reworked the suspension, correct? So you figure if it is as low as it can go, it should take 30lbs. off for the stereo system, maybe 30-40lbs. for the wing, how much for the interior carbon fiber trim instead of metal? the wheels maybe 3-5lbs. each or more? So maybe a weight savings of around 90-100lbs. or in that neighborhood? I am just speculating but it's fun to guess.
Old 02-21-11, 03:52 PM
LexFather

From my understanding the ML system is like 50% lighter than a traditional system yet 400% more powerful or something crazy. Its pretty lightweight, I'll try to look for the source.

I expect 50-75 lbs lighter, nothing crazy.
Old 02-21-11, 04:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I still don't understand despite 05grIS350's tech saying the spoiler and the ML system are two biggest culprits in adding the weight base weight and that they almost weigh next to nothing, what is making a huge 200 pounds weight variation between 3263 - 3461 lbs here??
Old 02-21-11, 04:32 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

There's more to a Sound System than just speakers and such. My dad worked with things like that, he's an electrician, and used to work for a marine electronics company. Let me tell you, even with lightweight sound systems, you still require wiring which in itself can take up some good weight, not only that but insulation around the speakers as well. I'm sure that the system is pretty lightweight, but there's probably a good deal of weight involved with the whole entertainment/infotainment system. The mechanized wing probably has a pretty good portion of weight to it, a lot more than a fixed all carbon fiber wing would weigh. And the metal trim in the interior might not weigh a lot, but if it's the door handles and center console that could be at least 10-20lbs. The lightweight wheels if they're magnesium compared to aluminum that could save a little bit of weight also, not really sure how much though.
Old 02-22-11, 11:36 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I still don't understand despite 05grIS350's tech saying the spoiler and the ML system are two biggest culprits in adding the weight base weight and that they almost weigh next to nothing, what is making a huge 200 pounds weight variation between 3263 - 3461 lbs here??
Having an all-Alcantara interior vs an all-leather interior I'm sure makes quite a bit of weight difference. It's not just the ML system and spoiler that contribute to this variance.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package to Debut at Geneva Auto Show (March 3rd, 2011)