LFA Model (2012)

EXCLUSIVE: The first production LFAs arrive in the USA!!! PART 1

Old 01-20-11, 08:26 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Sweet. I think Gengar might be interested in finding out how much does his LFA dyno to the wheels.
Not a bad idea.. But I don't think he is taking delivery in SoCal

Joe Z
Old 01-20-11, 09:48 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by flipside909
No problem. No one really knows where #001 will go but my educated guess says definitely not USA but most likely Japan.
You think they would keep it even if it were LHD ???

I guess it all depends on what their intent is for #001 ..

• I am not saying this Red LFA is #001, but we have no info whether #001 is LHD or RHD..
    But my guess is that this LFA just might be the One.

Joe Z
Old 01-20-11, 10:25 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
You think they would keep it even if it were LHD ???

I guess it all depends on what their intent is for #001 ..

• I am not saying this Red LFA is #001, but we have no info whether #001 is LHD or RHD..
    But my guess is that this LFA just might be the One.

Joe Z
Lexus has been an American idea from start. If you notice that all Lexus concept cars have always been left hand drive, even those showcased in Japan. Almost all the LFA prototypes have been LHD...including the LFA Nurburgring race cars, LFA test mules and the LFA's that were paraded around Fuji for TMSF 2010.

Also the recent pictures that were posted by Lexus Magazine are of a Pearl Red LFA and the #001 car is just the basic Red. That #001 car is LHD. You know why I know? The single wiper positioning is key.
Old 01-20-11, 10:52 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

^^ Yeah Ryan I noticed all that..... and the wiper too....

I am not that new to Lexus. Which I am sure you know!

I already knew #001 was LHD - Just wasn't sure why they did not make it RHD to keep in Japan...

Here is why :
  • Japan does allow both RHD and LHD vehicles on their roads. In some cases the same vehicle is available in both LHD and RHD configurations.

Joe Z
Old 01-20-11, 11:40 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The first production-style LFA prototype was also LHD, notably.

• Japan does allow both RHD and LHD vehicles on their roads. In some cases the same vehicle is available in both LHD and RHD configurations.
Notably, many supercars and high-end lux models are sold in Japan as LHD because posers desire them that way, since it shows that the car is "foreign". Not sure this would apply for the LFA, though.
Old 01-20-11, 12:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gengar
The first production-style LFA prototype was also LHD, notably.

Notably, many supercars and high-end lux models are sold in Japan as LHD because posers desire them that way, since it shows that the car is "foreign". Not sure this would apply for the LFA, though.
Yes, I read that it is mainly a prestigious way of thinking...

It would be interesting to know that Lexus Japan would allow a LHD - LFA to be sold in their RHD country..

Cool if they did..

Joe Z
Old 01-20-11, 01:40 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we know by now, these LFA's can be built just about anyway you like it

~ Joe Z
It would be interesting to know that Lexus Japan would allow a LHD - LFA to be sold in their RHD country...

Joe Z
And why not? Given that each and every LFA is custom-built to its owner's specifications and, as mentioned earlier, a number of Japanese view LHD as a "prestige/unique" thing, what's to stop Lexus from building an otherwise Japan-spec LFA with the steering wheel on the left?

If I remember correctly, when Honda started exporting Accord coupes (NOT 3-doors) from Ohio to Japan in the early 1990s, they offered a choice of LHD or RHD over there. So why shouldn't the LFA follow suit?

Also, LFA 001 may well wind up in the Toyota Museum, and not in the hands of a private owner.
Old 01-20-11, 02:18 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Cool if they did and/or do....

Joe Z
Old 01-20-11, 05:35 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Awesome just awesome!

Thanks for the pics!

By the way, I just saw some of your photos jalopnik.com

They used some of your photos for a small article/piece titled Unboxing The Obsessive Transport Of The Lexus LFA

http://jalopnik.com/5738892/unboxing...-the-lexus-lfa
Old 01-20-11, 11:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
I read that a while ago. Way before the LFA even hit production, or was decided to. I'm sure it's logical. You say 11-12k rpm, 13k rpm was only said to be where it COULD run to. It is based off an F1 engine in some degree, and you see where they rev.
Do you remember where you read it? I'd be curious to read it myself. Toyota typically does durability testing of where an engine's design is capable of going. From what I've heard and read, the LFA engine was capable of 11-12K RPM for a certain amount of time. If it reached 13K, then even better.
Old 01-21-11, 12:29 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice to see the LFA's are finally arriving to the states. Personally if I ordered one I'd be there to drive it out myself and tell them my trailer is in the back I'm loading her up, sorry no dealer prep

Originally Posted by flipside909
No problem. No one really knows where #001 will go but my educated guess says definitely not USA but most likely Japan.
Why would Lexus Japan send LFA's to the states only to have them shipped back to Japan?
Old 01-21-11, 04:46 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Seize
Awesome just awesome!

Thanks for the pics!

By the way, I just saw some of your photos jalopnik.com

They used some of your photos for a small article/piece titled Unboxing The Obsessive Transport Of The Lexus LFA

More to come. Awesome!

http://jalopnik.com/5738892/unboxing...-the-lexus-lfa

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Nice to see the LFA's are finally arriving to the states. Personally if I ordered one I'd be there to drive it out myself and tell them my trailer is in the back I'm loading her up, sorry no dealer prep
I'm sure there are many that want to do the prep themselves, but only specific trained Lexus techs can PDI the car and initialize the electronics in the car. It's a very detailed and meticulous process.

Why would Lexus Japan send LFA's to the states only to have them shipped back to Japan?
It's done by all manufacturers, especially with prototypes that can't be registered legally. It's something that U.S. customs requires of foreign manufacturers. After 3-4 years they must either send back or discard prototypes used for testing.

If you're referring to #001, that never leaves the country.
Old 01-21-11, 04:47 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XhyDra
LFA 001 was NOT one of the first six to arrive in the U.S.
Old 01-21-11, 04:50 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I already knew #001 was LHD - Just wasn't sure why they did not make it RHD to keep in Japan...
Because some owners want to have that exclusivity of having a car that is different. And if it does indeed become a museum car, they want to keep the car true to form, from the original concept car.
Old 01-21-11, 07:34 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Awesome. We need someone at this port to track all the LFA's destined for the US in the next couple of years!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EXCLUSIVE: The first production LFAs arrive in the USA!!! PART 1