LFA Model (2012)

Latest issue of evo Magazine: 2010 Car of the Year. LFA? (possible SPOILER inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 07:10 PM
LexFather

Finally made it to B&N, its not there, they still have the Dec issue (151). Its still a great issue as they have a 4 way test with the IS F, RS5, C63, M3 comp with on track and off track results.

Its the usual January issue with the COTY award.
Old 12-28-10, 08:39 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Finally made it to B&N, its not there, they still have the Dec issue (151). Its still a great issue as they have a 4 way test with the IS F, RS5, C63, M3 comp with on track and off track results.

Its the usual January issue with the COTY award.
Scans or ban. lol.
Old 12-28-10, 10:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Scans or ban. lol.
yes, i issued mike a warning in the isf forum already

edit: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post6024937

Last edited by rominl; 12-28-10 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-29-10, 07:57 AM
LexFather

Yes Henry sent me an infraction
Old 12-29-10, 11:15 AM
LickSauce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.germancarforum.com/intern...tml#post494300
Old 12-29-10, 11:17 AM
LickSauce
Rookie

Old 12-29-10, 11:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

awesome, thanks for posting! i am so glad the lfa engine got engine of the year, totally deserve it imho

nice scan of all the pages on car of the yr
Old 12-29-10, 02:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Brilliant victory for the LFA! Thanks for the scans.
Old 12-29-10, 03:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

The Summary

There is nothing in the world like the Lexus LFA. It is more special and intriguing than the 458 and demonstrates an extraordinary level of passion and commitment. Bespoke and limited edition, it is also a genuine supercar that can scare the pants off you. This is mainly thanks to it's extraordinary 552bhp 4.8-litre V10 that does everything a Carrera GT's does and then goes completely mad as it closes in on 9000rpm. Its uncompromising ride adds to the challenge, and it was generally agreed that it would have been a bit of a handful up on the moors,
but we were beguiled. "It's a beautiful thing, all the details, and it has the integrity and functionality of a Lexus. Feels like a step up from everything else here," said Meaden. "Very, very special," said Metcalfe. Thank you, Lexus.
Old 12-29-10, 06:25 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feels like a Step up from everything else here... GTR, SLS, Gallardo, 458, GT2/3RS... that's speaking volumes.
Old 12-29-10, 07:21 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

LFA's V10 beating out R8 & Gallardo V10, 458 Italia's V8, SLS AMG's V8 and all the other cars for 'engine of the year' is truly spectacular. I mean, a Lexus engine beating Ferrari at its own game.

'There is nothing that has felt this special since the Mecca F1' Chris Harris says.

If you read the article, LFA scored a no. 4 placing without even completing the tests. The LFA had to leave before they could even conduct full track tests. I believe if they truly had the chance to wring it out on a dry track for a few laps, they would have placed LFA higher.
Old 12-29-10, 10:14 PM
LexFather

Hot damn that is some flattering commentary!!

I also suck, Top Gear also named the chief engineer of of their "men of the year" over the summer I forgot to post about it

I'll try to find the specific month and article.
Old 12-29-10, 11:23 PM
LickSauce
Rookie

Old 12-29-10, 11:54 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Licksauce, you are the man. Thanks for posting great info here especially the 'best engine of the year' award. LFA's 4.8 Liter V10 winning it is just incredible. That is a huge milestone for Lexus to have an engine that is only compared to the benchmark in engines, which is the V10 in Porsche Carrera GT.

Now I really am looking forward to a CarAndDriver comparo of 458 Italia vs SLS AMG vs LFA vs R8 V10 vs GTR vs LP570-4 vs Turbo S.
Old 12-30-10, 08:21 AM
2008ES
Rookie

Since quotes seem to be OK to post, here's another interesting bit from the writeup, in case the scans get taken down:

Dinner is enlivened by the arrival of editor Nick Trott, Harry Metcalfe, Chris Harris and Dickie Meaden who between them have brought the GT3 RS, Gallardo Superleggera and, most precious of all, the Lexus LFA. The LFA will be gone before lunchtime tomorrow so those that haven't yet sampled it need to make sure they don't miss out.

The buzz around the table is that it's a bit special. 'It's a stunning achievement,' says Metcalfe. 'I just wish it was cheaper.' Trott is equally smitten: 'It's a huge surprise. It isn't a soulless, tech-laden Japanese sports car but a true reflection of what Toyota and Lexus engineers can achieve with an absurd budget and a seemingly endless amount of time.'

When they've had a go, Catchpole and Green seem to be under the spell, too. 'It takes a while to get your head round it, to dial in,' says Green. 'You have to calibrate to it, ratchet up. It's a proper supercar -- you don't **** around with it, but it's absolutely mega.'

'You don't feel your way up to the limit,' says Henry, 'you push, find it and then have to remember where it is. You drive it from knowledge rather than feel. The engine gives you so much all of the time. It's not just nuts up there between 8500-9500rpm -- though it is amazing up there -- but all the way from tickover to redline. The gearbox isn't great but, hey.

It's late by the time I get the key. The LFA looks amazing: heavily haunched, low-slung and intriguingly detailed. Gripped by the excellent seat and the odd, padded seatbelt, I press the starter button and the V10 blares but not too loudly. After the fast, seamless shifts of the Ferrari's twin-clutch 'box, the shifts of the LFA's single-clutch automated manual are slow, clumsy. And bloody hell, the ride's hard. Even pottering it feels like there's not much grip, which looks risky with a 9000rpm redline engine that feels edgy, as if it might go off like a firework. It's properly intimidating, like a supercar should be.

Use the paddles and the gearbox is OK, the big upshift pauses adding drama and giving you time to consider your actions -- just as well on slick surfaces like this. I ponder taking traction control off but decide against it. Good move. A kilometre later I go for an overtake and the V10 gets all screamy halfway past the truck and suddenly there's a dab of oppo needed before the electronics jump in. And yet a wet second-gear corner is irresistible; this is a front-engined, rear-drive car, after all. The LFA takes an angle and holds it calmly, serenely even.

Lexus makes a supercar? You betcha. If it wasn't so late, I'd just keep on driving.
(And IIRC the "odd padded seatbelt" has an airbag in it.)

Quick Reply: Latest issue of evo Magazine: 2010 Car of the Year. LFA? (possible SPOILER inside)