LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA production begins!

Old 01-18-11, 04:41 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
There are 14 LFA prototypes in existence that we're aware of here on CL. Not sure if thats counting the LFA test mules and race cars.
Yes, I've gathered that. Therefore?

Originally Posted by TF109B
It's an expression, not literally to be taken as a foolish move not to race. You've never heard of it before? They already raced it 3 times at the Ring 24, and a couple VLN races, the thing is, I'd like to see it in SuperGT or FIA GT or a LeMans series. It is possible to race it in GTE(GT2) class, the 458 is there, so why not an LFA? SuperGT rules have it so the LFA engine wouldn't be used, but the car could still be used after they stop using the SC430 (which is 2012).
I've heard the expression, but that's exactly what it means. It's not a metaphor.

A lot of us would like to see it race, but like we've gone over time and time again, it serves not much real purpose racing. There is a rumor that it will replace the Maserati MC12s in FIA GT (Which are GT1 spec cars), but outside of that, I can't see Toyota spending the money to prepare GT2 spec racers for other series. Super GT cars have little to do with production cars anymore, and Lexus has little to gain by "racing on sunday, selling on monday" in Super GT with the LFA. The SC430 still has another year to go.
Old 01-18-11, 05:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Yes, I've gathered that. Therefore?
Any one of them can get crushed like any other prototype.
Old 01-18-11, 01:02 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhm, I said it's not to be taken seriously. I used the phrase because I think it'd be foolish not to race it. I said it's not to be taken seriously because it's my opinion.

Anyway, like I said, the LFA could be used in SuperGT in 2012, because this year is pretty much the last year the SC430 can be used in the series as it's rules state, 4 years for a car. The Sc430 was raced in 2008 so 2011 is it's last year. What will they use next? Honda has an HSV racing that's not even in production. People watch SuperGT to see the fastest GT racing there is. Relevance to the road cars are far and away, just look at the 2400lb. RWD GTR racing in the series! But what I'm getting at is it'd be a good decision for Lexus/Toyota to have it in major racing series, not just in Japan. You think Audi sells LeMans prototypes? No, but it's a boost for their image, and their diesel tech. Lexus could use the same thing, and with the IS-F to be raced in a touring car series in Italy I think, it'd be good to have their name out there. On top of it all SuperGT and DTM are talking of a link in 2012 or 2013 with races in the U.S.
Old 01-18-11, 03:16 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

LFA #001

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-18-11 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 08:47 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe Z
LFA #001

This is getting reposted all over the place .
Old 01-18-11, 09:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
This is getting reposted all over the place .
LoL - yeah I realized afterwards...

It`s straight off the Lexus LFA website anyways

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-18-11 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 09:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe Z
LoL - yeah I realized afterwards...

It`s straight off the Lexus LFA website anyways

Joe Z
It's all good .
Old 01-19-11, 10:38 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Uhm, I said it's not to be taken seriously. I used the phrase because I think it'd be foolish not to race it. I said it's not to be taken seriously because it's my opinion.

Anyway, like I said, the LFA could be used in SuperGT in 2012, because this year is pretty much the last year the SC430 can be used in the series as it's rules state, 4 years for a car. The Sc430 was raced in 2008 so 2011 is it's last year. What will they use next? Honda has an HSV racing that's not even in production. People watch SuperGT to see the fastest GT racing there is. Relevance to the road cars are far and away, just look at the 2400lb. RWD GTR racing in the series! But what I'm getting at is it'd be a good decision for Lexus/Toyota to have it in major racing series, not just in Japan. You think Audi sells LeMans prototypes? No, but it's a boost for their image, and their diesel tech. Lexus could use the same thing, and with the IS-F to be raced in a touring car series in Italy I think, it'd be good to have their name out there. On top of it all SuperGT and DTM are talking of a link in 2012 or 2013 with races in the U.S.
Actually, It's 3 years per chassis, and not car model. The Supra raced for well over 12 years in the GT500 class. Lexus/Toyota introduced a new chassis for the SC cars in 2009, making this the last year for the chassis not necessarily the SC. Anyway, removed from all that Super GT has poor international proliferation right now, so putting the LFA in it at the end of the production run would really be pretty much pointless. I've said all this to you before, do I really have to make the point again? By 2012, Lexus may have a new SC in the pipeline of an IS coupe to show off.

Originally Posted by flipside909
Any one of them can get crushed like any other prototype.
I understand that. Expect it even. My curiosity is that perhaps not all or even the majority will be.

Old 01-19-11, 08:41 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

You're entitled to your own opinion, I'd like to see the LFA race. How much popularity do you think SuperGT is supposed to have when it's a local series? It's still the most popular in Japan. I guess by your thoughts, racing an LFA would be pointless because it's at the 'end' of it's production. So what? Maserati is being raced and it's ended production, the same with the SC430. You try to make it seem like you know it all, like car/chassis. So what. It's what I meant. Regardless of what cars that Lexus will have, there's more than one series of racing that the LFA could participate in. Look at the Panoz Abruzzi. There's no point in trying to argue, I want to see Lexus take it racing. If you don't that's great.
Old 01-19-11, 09:37 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

You're entitled to your own opinion, I'd like to see the LFA race. How much popularity do you think SuperGT is supposed to have when it's a local series? It's still the most popular in Japan. I guess by your thoughts, racing an LFA would be pointless because it's at the 'end' of it's production. So what? Maserati is being raced and it's ended production, the same with the SC430. You try to make it seem like you know it all, like car/chassis. So what. It's what I meant. Regardless of what cars that Lexus will have, there's more than one series of racing that the LFA could participate in. Look at the Panoz Abruzzi. There's no point in trying to argue, I want to see Lexus take it racing. If you don't that's great.
I'd love them to take it racing, I'm just trying to point out to you that it is not probably that they will take it to Super GT.
Old 01-20-11, 01:20 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Regardless of where they take it, I'd like to see it race. SuperGT just sounds good to me. They already have an IS racing in GT300. Not sure if they'd use that. Like you said though, maybe another SC, or a new car based on the new 'road' SC. Who knows.
Old 01-20-11, 08:58 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

More Great Info from Lexus Enthusiast.com via Lexus Magazine.com

Originally Posted by Lexus Magazine
Editor’s note: It’s time for another “Takumi File”—our periodic look at one of Lexus’ elite team of master craftsmen, each responsible for a different area of Lexus vehicle quality. Last time, we met Kimihiro Sakakibara, the Takumi of exterior paint; this time around, we meet Shigeru Yamanaka, the Takumi in charge of the LFA’s secretive production facility—aka the “LFA Works”—who gave us the first insights into the supercar’s unique assembly process.

You’d expect the floors and walls to be spotless at the LFA Works, the unique, closed-off facility at Lexus’ Motomachi Plant in Japan that’s building 500 of the supercars. And they are. You might even have imagined the roof to be as high as it is, bestowing an almost cathedral-like feeling on this most exclusive of Lexus assembly areas.

But what takes you by surprise is the sheer breadth of expertise of the people here. Shigeru Yamanaka, manufacturing manager at the LFA Works, sums it up with characteristic precision: “We are actually a Takumi team.”

Within Lexus, a Takumi—literally, “artisan”—is one of the 10 to 12 top guns of manufacturing. To be a Lexus Takumi, you must reach a virtuoso standard of craftsmanship—the automotive equivalent of a 10th Dan black belt.

Yamanaka, who handpicked the best of the best around Lexus to assemble the LFA, is therefore in charge of the most highly trained manufacturing team anywhere, a sort of special forces of vehicle production.

Yet it’s a role he’s clearly very comfortable with: the 47-year-old is no stranger to turning talented all-stars into a well-drilled team. In addition to his current role as a manufacturing guru, the Osaka-born Yamanaka has been head coach of the Toyota baseball club. Well known in Japan, the club has been a springboard for several successful professional baseball players and is indicative of Yamanaka’s belief in the importance of human talent.

“I put together the Takumi team at the LFA Works with people who were recommended by various manufacturing departments in the company because of their expertise,” he says. “They’ve been handpicked to manufacture 500 examples of the LFA to the highest standards. At a conventional assembly facility, one worker would be assigned typically four or five tasks. At the LFA Works, one person will handle 150 tasks or more.”

That’s because creating a car as complex as the LFA requires advanced technical ability. For starters, an LFA is approximately 45 times more labor-intensive than a conventional car, which is why the order of assembly, allocation of workspaces, and recruitment of staff are the fruition of two years’ meticulous planning on Yamanaka’s and Lexus’ part.

Not only that, the LFA is such a technically complex car that its assembly relies on a deftly combined mix of advanced technology and handcraftsmanship. Each V10 engine, for instance, is assembled by a single engineer, whose signature it bears.

Plus, Yamanaka and his team are responsible for producing one LFA per day—such is the pace of assembly at LFA Works. But it isn’t really about the pace: it’s about achieving standards unprecedented even in Lexus manufacturing history.

This much can be seen in the manufacturing of the CFRP (carbon-fiber-reinforced plastics) for the cabin structure, which is carefully built up in layers. It’s a technically advanced material to work with, but it also demands keen eyesight and good manual dexterity in the weaving process.

It is the first time we have manufactured a CFRP body. So our staff has worked hard to master the know-how from the aircraft industry,” says Yamanaka, who has been with the company since 1986. “These are different from the skills of the traditional workplace. Ultimately, we all have one ambition: to create cars that make our customers happy and satisfied.”

And personally? “As manufacturing manager of the LFA, I know my responsibility. So I work diligently every day, visualizing the happy smiles of customers. I’m acutely aware of the strong passion of those involved in the LFA, including president Akio Toyoda and LFA chief engineer Haruhiko Tanahashi. I will continue to work hard and be full of passion.”

It’s a passion that will be felt by anyone fortunate enough to drive an LFA.
Couple of great pics zoomed in from "Krew" over at Lexus Enthusiast
In which the pics are via Lexus Magazine...

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-20-11 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Edited for Ryan
Old 01-20-11, 11:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

ok we won't need any personal talk here, anything you can bring it to pm
Old 01-20-11, 11:25 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Good to see Shigeru Yamanaka in the spotlight. As I mentioned in my factory tour report thread, he was my tour guide.

However, I will note that the production floor in the pictures of Lexus Magazine has absolutely no resemblance to the actual production floor layout that I saw on my tour. I think they rearranged the layout specifically for the pictures. It is also apparent that they constructed lots of tarp awnings/overhangs or covered up a lot of the assembly areas with plastic covers. They're very secretive about those things, as evidenced by Toyota's general policy of no photos anywhere on the plant facility.
Old 01-21-11, 12:20 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Great pics and article there.

Originally Posted by gengar
Good to see Shigeru Yamanaka in the spotlight. As I mentioned in my factory tour report thread, he was my tour guide.

However, I will note that the production floor in the pictures of Lexus Magazine has absolutely no resemblance to the actual production floor layout that I saw on my tour. I think they rearranged the layout specifically for the pictures. It is also apparent that they constructed lots of tarp awnings/overhangs or covered up a lot of the assembly areas with plastic covers. They're very secretive about those things, as evidenced by Toyota's general policy of no photos anywhere on the plant facility.
I agree. I'm sure they're being secretive about quite a few things in the pictures.

In fact, with regards to any pictures or videos of manufacturing plants, I'm sure Toyota is very secretive and selective about what they show.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus LFA production begins!