LFA Model (2012)

2nd Gen LFA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 01:57 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2nd Gen LFA?

When I first heard that Lexus was making a supercar, I was ecstatic. When I saw the pictures, the power it has, the speed, I was completely blown away. But then when I saw a price tag of $375,000; I was floored. WTF?

Why would the price tag be so damn high on a supercar? Lambos and Ferrari's cost less!

But I read somewhere (correct me if I'm wrong), that the LFA is in limited production with only 500 made?

So, that got me thinking. Will Lexus make a 2nd Generation of the LFA? And if they do, will we see a huge price cut?

I can see the LFA starting at $125,000 or $150,000...But $375,000?! That's just ridiculous.
Old 10-13-10, 02:05 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Economy of scale, pure and simple. Those 150k-250k European supercars are produced in thousands if not tens of thousands in their production runs. The LFA is really bargain-priced compared to all other exotics that are produced in similarly limited quantities. Exclusivity does come at a price.

Last edited by Mister Two; 10-13-10 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-13-10, 02:25 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

^So does that mean that there will only be 500 LFA's ever made? If they decided to make more (thousands more), will that drop the exclusivity price of $375k to around $125k?

Are they even going to make more LFA's or 2nd generations of them?

I think that the people that are buying the one that is released now, should hardly drive it, keep the miles low, and in a few years, it'll be worth more than $375k, cause it'll be a classic, you know?
Old 10-13-10, 02:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, only 500 lfa will be made, there is no plan (and i surely hope they don't) to make more lfa to lower the price. fact is, for every lfa, even at 375k, lexus is losing money.

there is absolutely no talk on the 2nd gen lfa. a lot of the technologies on lfa will be used in future lexus vehicles, but the car itself, nothing

there are talk about developing another coupe that's probably in the 100-150k range, called the LC concept. you can read car chat for more

lfa appreciating in price? we will see about that, it's too early to tell. i wouldn't necessarily call it classic already.

and the lfa isn't compared to the "entry" level ferrari and lamborghini. bring in the 599 and lp670, and they all cost about the same if not more
Old 10-13-10, 02:47 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

^I'm having a hard time finding the LC Concept in the Car Chat.

I'm not calling it a classic now, but it should be worth a lot more in the future. Isn't that how is normally goes for Limited edition stuff? Especially for a high end super car that costs a **** load, and being 1 of 500 people to own that car. That's pretty insane, and should cost more in the future. imo.
Old 10-13-10, 03:51 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe regardless of the price people will want that car since it is so limited. I believe they already sold all 500. Correct me if i am wrong
Old 10-13-10, 05:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Incredible
^I'm having a hard time finding the LC Concept in the Car Chat.

I'm not calling it a classic now, but it should be worth a lot more in the future. Isn't that how is normally goes for Limited edition stuff? Especially for a high end super car that costs a **** load, and being 1 of 500 people to own that car. That's pretty insane, and should cost more in the future. imo.
here you go

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...successor.html

limited edition doesn't mean it will appreciate. lamborghini reventon, its values aren't going up, for example. it has to do with a lot of factors. i am not saying the lfa won't, but it has to be seen imho

Originally Posted by sc300jz
I believe regardless of the price people will want that car since it is so limited. I believe they already sold all 500. Correct me if i am wrong
nop, not at all. still got bunch of them for sale in the US.
Old 10-14-10, 01:02 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If they do end up making a 2nd gen LFA or LFA successor, it's probably going to continue being a halo car, so a price tag over 300K would be extremely likely.
Old 10-14-10, 08:03 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

The market dictates what price is acceptable for the buyers and LFA atleast has 99% been sold. Maybe 5 - 10 left, maybe.

Secondly, like everyone said LFA will be built for only 500 customers so that reduces margin for profit, which is why the price is so steep. Ferrari is producing thousands of 458 Italias per year, yet their loaded price is touching $280,000 or so.

Thirdly, LFA contains highly expensive materials, technology and engineering. The engine in itself is a technological marvel with feats never accomplished before such as, the size and weight of the engine is exceptional low for a V10. As a matter of fact, smaller than a 3.0 liter V6. The engine sound itself was modelled after Toyota's F1 racing car V10 and the howl it generates at 9500 rpm, I think makes it worth the price tag alone.

Then factor in the Lexus reliability, durability and quality and you get the picture. People who will be getting their LFAs will be exceptionally happy with their purchase. That I am 100% sure about.
Old 10-14-10, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The market dictates what price is acceptable for the buyers and LFA atleast has 99% been sold. Maybe 5 - 10 left, maybe.
since i am critical on lexus marketing on lfa, care to explain and prove your numbers?
Old 10-14-10, 09:38 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
since i am critical on lexus marketing on lfa, care to explain and prove your numbers?
Since LFA was projected as sold-out in US before the additional 21 were allocated for a total of 171. Considering, LFA is sold-out everywhere except US, out of the 21 new allocations in the US, I figure since June Lexus must have sold atleast 8 - 10 more with about 10 left.

I know not scientific, however, I am sure the remaining numbers are around 10 cars.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-14-10 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-14-10, 11:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Since LFA was projected as sold-out in US before the additional 21 were allocated for a total of 171. Considering, LFA is sold-out everywhere except US, out of the 21 new allocations in the US, I figure since June Lexus must have sold atleast 8 - 10 more with about 10 left.

I know not scientific, however, I am sure the remaining numbers are around 10 cars.
the first sentence was wrong to begin with already imho. there has been absolutely zero proof saying that all 150 initial allocation were sold out, except the claims from lexus rep, which was proven wrong when the 800 number line was always open and never really got cut (yup, i tried the number).

and if the first 150 really were sold out like that, with what lexus claimed overwhelming number of applications, then there shouldn't be any problem picking out another extra 20 people to sign papers for the remaining 20 or so lfa allocated. the fact that lexus were openly asking for more people to call simply tells me that lexus has trouble selling the first 150 to begin with, because lexus has completely exhausted their original list.

if you are telling me that it just so happened that lexus found exactly 150 owners that fit their requirement and no more left, thus asking for more buyers for the extra 20 (13%), then i can say chances of that is pretty remote.

unless there are solid proofs that lexus has sold this many lfa (150 or 160), i still find it hard to convince myself they sell more than 1/3
Old 10-14-10, 12:25 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

50 you reckon?? You really think so??

Sorry, that number does not quite make much sense to me.

I know Lexus sold all 165 allocations of Japan, however that might not be a fair comparison.

If Lexus had no issues selling 10 LFAs in Canada with a population of 35 million people and all were sold as early as June (despite no efforts to market whatsoever. In US, marketing push is huge by comparison complete with test drives), why would Lexus have issues selling 150 of them in USA with a population of 300+ million people with a 10 times bigger population??

the first sentence was wrong to begin with already imho. there has been absolutely zero proof saying that all 150 initial allocation were sold out, except the claims from lexus rep, which was proven wrong when the 800 number line was always open and never really got cut (yup, i tried the number).

and if the first 150 really were sold out like that, with what lexus claimed overwhelming number of applications, then there shouldn't be any problem picking out another extra 20 people to sign papers for the remaining 20 or so lfa allocated. the fact that lexus were openly asking for more people to call simply tells me that lexus has trouble selling the first 150 to begin with, because lexus has completely exhausted their original list.

if you are telling me that it just so happened that lexus found exactly 150 owners that fit their requirement and no more left, thus asking for more buyers for the extra 20 (13%), then i can say chances of that is pretty remote.

unless there are solid proofs that lexus has sold this many lfa (150 or 160), i still find it hard to convince myself they sell more than 1/3

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-14-10 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-14-10, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

using population as ratio across different countries, by itself, already doesn't make sense, even between US and canada. coz' with the same analogy by using japan as a country then everything is way off. so if you look at US sales, you can't remotely use japan or canada and apply that, because every country is very different. and the 10 cars (rumored) for canada, where is the solid evidence that they are all sold out (rumored) anyway? to be honest, by this time, i don't find words from lexus rep to be very credible, considering how they claimed all cars sold

another way to look at it, if you are able to find numbers of all exotic / supercars above 350k sold annually across the whole US, then you will probably see why lexus selling 150 is a very big number by comparison and doesn't make much sense.

the size of the 350+k owners circle doesn't change much over the years. and within that community, there aren't much words about anyone of them getting lfa or selling their current cars to get lfa. that's one data point.

on the other hand, there are a lot of millionaires in the US, yup, very true. however putting that number against buying power on a 350k car doesn't apply. lfa is a car, and it takes enthusiasts to buy it, not just any random people with millions in hand (lexus won't allow it anyway per their vision anyway). so for those who aren't interested in cars to begin with (i am talking about passion in cars), it's quite hard to imagine them suddenly spending 350k on one

it's possible that lexus creates a completely new different segment of owners, who are willing to pay 350k for the lfa and drive them, and also at the same time not colliding with the current exotic market (at least not overlapping much at all). that remains to be seen and i am surely excited to see so. obviously gengar is an example but that's only 1 car (out of 150). and with the two points i stated in above paragraphs, i personally think it's tough

but like i said, i am welcome to be proven wrong with solid numbers. however from all the numbers i have gathered, i am sure the lfa is selling, however i am very unsure about the number at that range.
Old 10-14-10, 01:10 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I can definitely confirm yes, LFA was all sold-out in Canada by early May and also the allocations for Canada were 10.

The sale process for Canada was closed back in June with a note saying all the available LFA have been sold.

05gr350 (Fellow from Ontario) has the exact break down of how many LFA are going to each of the major provinces (Alberta, BC, Ontario and Quebec), which he obtained straight from Lexus Canada.

using population as ratio across different countries, by itself, already doesn't make sense, even between US and canada. coz' with the same analogy by using japan as a country then everything is way off. so if you look at US sales, you can't remotely use japan or canada and apply that, because every country is very different. and the 10 cars (rumored) for canada, where is the solid evidence that they are all sold out (rumored) anyway? to be honest, by this time, i don't find words from lexus rep to be very credible, considering how they claimed all cars sold

another way to look at it, if you are able to find numbers of all exotic / supercars above 350k sold annually across the whole US, then you will probably see why lexus selling 150 is a very big number by comparison and doesn't make much sense.

the size of the 350+k owners circle doesn't change much over the years. and within that community, there aren't much words about anyone of them getting lfa or selling their current cars to get lfa. that's one data point.

on the other hand, there are a lot of millionaires in the US, yup, very true. however putting that number against buying power on a 350k car doesn't apply. lfa is a car, and it takes enthusiasts to buy it, not just any random people with millions in hand (lexus won't allow it anyway per their vision anyway). so for those who aren't interested in cars to begin with (i am talking about passion in cars), it's quite hard to imagine them suddenly spending 350k on one

it's possible that lexus creates a completely new different segment of owners, who are willing to pay 350k for the lfa and drive them, and also at the same time not colliding with the current exotic market (at least not overlapping much at all). that remains to be seen and i am surely excited to see so. obviously gengar is an example but that's only 1 car (out of 150). and with the two points i stated in above paragraphs, i personally think it's tough

but like i said, i am welcome to be proven wrong with solid numbers. however from all the numbers i have gathered, i am sure the lfa is selling, however i am very unsure about the number at that range.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen LFA?