LFA Model (2012)

LFA dominates Goodwood race track with two fastest independent lap times recorded

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 03:37 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
That is correct.

Upon some research, I got some really strange info that Horst von saurma was actually one of Porsche's 24-hour Nurburgring race car driver for the Porsche GT3 Cup car and there is common belief that he is very pro-Porsche and runs slower lap times with Ferraris, Lambos etc.

Whether it is true or not. I don't know, but sounds kind of fishy.
Maybe he is just more accustomed to the Porsche's Dynamic?

Originally Posted by TF109B
bridgestone's tires say it's name on them, the lfa tires are blank. I don't think the special spec tires are on the LFAs yet. Motortrend said this. So take that into consideration plus the fact that there is no launch control, also that the weight of the cars being tested are around 3500lbs. and it's all adding up to be something quite remarkable being these cars are heavier, not running the correct tires, are pre-production, and have no launch control (on top of it a beaten up transmission that's still being worked) the LFA setting fast laps right now could potentially be shown up by the production LFAs! That's my take on it.
I think you are getting your hope up over nothing. I do however believe the Production cars will be better than the prototypes, but good luck finding out, since I don't think anybody would be willing to lend theirs to find out.
Old 07-27-10, 06:04 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

With the sport auto video floating around on the internet, the hype seems to be building up a lot about LF-A's Nurburgring lap time.

Some people are calling it "official" since it will be the first lap time. I wish Lexus had officially announced a lap time before hand. That way there would be little risk as it has been for GTR and ZR-1 where their lap times were way slower than the manufacturer's claim.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Maybe he is just more accustomed to the Porsche's Dynamic?

I think you are getting your hope up over nothing. I do however believe the Production cars will be better than the prototypes, but good luck finding out, since I don't think anybody would be willing to lend theirs to find out.
Old 07-27-10, 06:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I'd stake the GTO as the only car that should give it a run for the money. It costs about the same if not more, and is likely to be faster than the cars I mention (the nurburging champs outside of the boutique cars that cost twice the price of an LFA).

Remember that these times are not the fastest for the cars I've mentioned, but Sport Auto takes out some of the variability by using the same driver, so I think it's a better relative measure. A 7.2x makes it faster than most everything out there bar a Porsche GT2 RS. Respectable yard stick i'd say. The 670 is nothing around the Nurburgring, it doesn't even factor in here. The Veyron hasn't been that impressive at the ring either.
i absolutely don't have a problem with sport auto using one driver, etc... for results. to me all data are good for comparisons. even if it's the "best time" by manufacturers with their most experienced drivers who know how to squeeze the last 100th of a second, that's fine with me. that's still a way to show the capability of the cars.

but in the end we need numbers for comparisons (either way). so i don't care if it's official numbers on the lfa by lexus (their drivers), or from sport auto driver. i think they all carry same good values. imho if the lfa and the 599 gto numbers are close, even if gto is faster, i think it's good. that shows lexus is capable, they know what they are doing, and they will get some respect. but lfa winning over the gtr and zr1? honestly that says absolutely nothing. i mean, lfa better not slower than them!!!!
Old 07-27-10, 06:29 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i absolutely don't have a problem with sport auto using one driver, etc... for results. to me all data are good for comparisons. even if it's the "best time" by manufacturers with their most experienced drivers who know how to squeeze the last 100th of a second, that's fine with me. that's still a way to show the capability of the cars.

but in the end we need numbers for comparisons (either way). so i don't care if it's official numbers on the lfa by lexus (their drivers), or from sport auto driver. i think they all carry same good values. imho if the lfa and the 599 gto numbers are close, even if gto is faster, i think it's good. that shows lexus is capable, they know what they are doing, and they will get some respect. but lfa winning over the gtr and zr1? honestly that says absolutely nothing. i mean, lfa better not slower than them!!!!
You do know that outside of the Porsche 911 GT2 RS and the Enzo, the fastest (street legal and available in the US) cars at the ring are the Viper ACR, Vette ZR1 and GT-R right? (According to their fastest recorded times anyway).
Old 07-27-10, 06:39 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

At the end of the video does anyone know what the negatives ratings say ?

IMO I cant see a thing wrong with the LFA.. Its too awesome.
Old 07-27-10, 08:15 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas
At the end of the video does anyone know what the negatives ratings say ?

IMO I cant see a thing wrong with the LFA.. Its too awesome.
- Sold out

- Responsiveness*

* That's what it translated to more or less, I have no idea in what context or with respect to what... maybe reponses are too sharp?
Old 07-27-10, 08:28 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

if you think that the lfa's location on the cost vs performance scale really matters that much, you're missing- and probably dont value- the point of it. just my opinion.
Old 07-27-10, 08:32 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

If you are missing the LFA's location on the engineering break-throughs, performance, luxury and exhilaration vs cost scale, you missing - and probably don't value - the point of it. There is no free lunch in this world, you pay for what you get.

Lexus races the LFA in 24-hours endurance races on stock engine chassis and transmission and wins its SP8 class. How many other cars can claim that?

Cookie-cutter cheap dollar performance fans will never get that.

Obviously, 500 millionaire/billionaire enthusiasts agree with what I said, which is why LFA is sold out. To them, the experience and excitement of driving and owning one of these cannot be quantified by dollars vs performance.

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
if you think that the lfa's location on the cost vs performance scale really matters that much, you're missing- and probably dont value- the point of it. just my opinion.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-27-10 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 11:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
If you are missing the LFA's location on the engineering break-throughs, performance, luxury and exhilaration vs cost scale, you missing - and probably don't value - the point of it. There is no free lunch in this world, you pay for what you get.

Lexus races the LFA in 24-hours endurance races on stock engine chassis and transmission and wins its SP8 class. How many other cars can claim that?

Cookie-cutter cheap dollar performance fans will never get that.

Obviously, 500 millionaire/billionaire enthusiasts agree with what I said, which is why LFA is sold out. To them, the experience and excitement of driving and owning one of these cannot be quantified by dollars vs performance.
and i will say again, not all lfa sold out yet, a target that lexus missed, so you don't have 500 owners agreeing with you so far

on another note, i personally am not focusing that much on the cost vs performance aspect. i think i have said from the very beginning how much i like about the lfa and how lexus is thinking about the car so differently from others.

however, that doesn't prevent the reality of what a lot of people would think of the car and compare to others. yup, some people (including me) will say all day long cost is not something to value this car, it's the engineering behind. however, we do live in a world where reality is something people have to look at too

Last edited by rominl; 07-27-10 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

You do know that outside of the Porsche 911 GT2 RS and the Enzo, the fastest (street legal and available in the US) cars at the ring are the Viper ACR, Vette ZR1 and GT-R right? (According to their fastest recorded times anyway).
yes i very much do, but that doesn't invalidate my point. coz' haters will continue to say lfa is faster but it costs 2x or 3x more. however, if lfa is say having the same time as the 599 gto, at about the same cost, a car with the ferrari badge on it? now that makes a much bigger statement and will shut people up
Old 07-28-10, 01:03 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some drivers are good in some cars and other cars not so much. We'll find out soon enough how well the LFA did around the ring. It sounds to me that it's gone quite well from the initial take on it. And if Lexus is loaning out pre-production LFA's I don't see why there won't be an official Lexus person that has an LFA that's willing to let magazines and publications take the production LFA around a track. Especially if it's in capable hands. And I'm not getting all my hopes up on the LFA being better than what it is now. The facts are the facts. There is still the Nurb' edition, there is still launch control, that's gotta equate to something. There's no questioning that. If you think a pre-production unit will be better than the full production one, that's just a bad opinion.

Another thing is about the fact that the LFA isn't yet sold out. That is just a matter of location. The LFA could have had a thousand cars and been sold exclusively to Japan and it would go like hot cakes. The LFA wants to be known around the world. And Lexus is not that known. In Europe Lexus isn't the greatest of brands. The snobbery robbery of Merc and BMW will always be there, so anything Lexus is looked at in a lesser light. This is prevalent in any european publication. They are biased towards their 'own'. Even Jaguar are now coming back into the mix and they seem to be favored more than Lexus. The point is, the 500 aren't all spoken for because of the turning down of certain people and the fact that they didn't have half or 3 quarters of the total allotment in Japan.

Last edited by TF109B; 07-28-10 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 08:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

That is correct. Lexus is hell bent on selling those extra allocations in the US most likely for better global visibility.

They could have easily sold 5 - 8 more in Canada. They allocated only 10 LFA for walk out price of $470,000 in Canada and all of them sold out in a matter of weeks.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Some drivers are good in some cars and other cars not so much. We'll find out soon enough how well the LFA did around the ring. It sounds to me that it's gone quite well from the initial take on it. And if Lexus is loaning out pre-production LFA's I don't see why there won't be an official Lexus person that has an LFA that's willing to let magazines and publications take the production LFA around a track. Especially if it's in capable hands. And I'm not getting all my hopes up on the LFA being better than what it is now. The facts are the facts. There is still the Nurb' edition, there is still launch control, that's gotta equate to something. There's no questioning that. If you think a pre-production unit will be better than the full production one, that's just a bad opinion.

Another thing is about the fact that the LFA isn't yet sold out. That is just a matter of location. The LFA could have had a thousand cars and been sold exclusively to Japan and it would go like hot cakes. The LFA wants to be known around the world. And Lexus is not that known. In Europe Lexus isn't the greatest of brands. The snobbery robbery of Merc and BMW will always be there, so anything Lexus is looked at in a lesser light. This is prevalent in any european publication. They are biased towards their 'own'. Even Jaguar are now coming back into the mix and they seem to be favored more than Lexus. The point is, the 500 aren't all spoken for because of the turning down of certain people and the fact that they didn't have half or 3 quarters of the total allotment in Japan.
Old 07-28-10, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no doubt on the allocation, since very early on i have already said if they put more allocation to japan (and some other cities/countries), the cars would have been gone in no time. but that doesn't take away the fact that the cars are not sold out (for whatever reason), vs what they claimed in the beginning about all lfa sold out. still remember few months back how most people bought so much into "all lfa sold out" when some questioned about it. in any case, this thread is about track time so let's get back on track.
Old 07-29-10, 12:00 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

What the hell happened to my last posts?
Old 07-29-10, 12:15 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe you posted in a different thread, there are a number of LFA track time discussions, here for Goodwood, another thread on the Sport Auto: LFA super test video, also the LFA sticky thread in Car Chat.

Quick Reply: LFA dominates Goodwood race track with two fastest independent lap times recorded