Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

double post.
Old 05-11-10, 06:00 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

3500+ pounds?
i was expecting lighter with all the carbon fiber they used.
Old 05-11-10, 06:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

many other websites say 3263 lbs, maybe the 3500 weight is a driver and full tank of gas.
Old 05-11-10, 07:59 AM
jaslapp1
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think I now have to sell my house and hunt for an LFA and just live in it haha. Oh man how I wish I could own this car. Maybe one day.
Old 05-11-10, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
3500+ pounds?
you just can't trust only one review sometimes
Old 05-11-10, 09:24 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The GTR is obtainable for enthusiasts to purchase. As for the LFA, one has to jump through hoops & squeeze the rosary tight to be one of the selected. I am suprised the testers were able to get an LFA to the track on time for the comparo I kid, I kid... The car was anted up by Lexus..
Old 05-11-10, 09:24 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
3500+ pounds?
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the article clearly stated this LF-A is a preproduction prototype and from what I have heard the prototypes are aluminum and NOT carbon fiber. This would explain the extra weight. I can only imagine had they tested the production version there would be even more gap in performance between the two.

"It is also a preproduction prototype -- a crusher in industry parlance. It has no VIN or license plate, and sits on non-DOT-approved tires, so we can't drive it on the street. When we're done with it, it gets shipped back to Japan where it will likely be reduced to a fine, expensive powder."
Old 05-11-10, 09:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

damn, can't get enough of that exhaust note

Originally Posted by carLx
+1

Honestly it's getting annoying hearing the incessant 'HOLY **** GUYS $400K FOR 0 TO 60 IN 3.7 SECONDS ONLY WHAT'S GOING ON" or .............
don't bother arguing

Why waste money on a GT-R when you can a bucket civic, load it up with tons of NOS and it'll be faster than both of these cars

Plus, you got plenty of money left over to add on a hood scoop, fender vents, a couple of stickers, and a huge shopping cart wing for that downforce
Old 05-11-10, 01:53 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

A couple things to note on this dyno chart:

- A Superflow dyno was used instead of the typco Dynojets. This is an inertia loaded dyno meaning it will typically read lower, but is much more accurate in terms of WHP measurements.

- GTR is definitely underated at 480bhp. 21% driveline loss for an AWD is incredible! LFA w/ 22% driveline loss is pretty typical of RWD.

- GTR has tons of power/torque down low, as it was really tuned for the street. The LFA's V10 was made for hi hp and top speed. Having a very linear lower torque makes it so much easier to get on the throttle mid corner (think F1) and the 9500rpm or so fuel cut off is insane!

"We get a lot of big power hot rods in here -- like this Nova last week that made over 1400 horsepower to the wheels. I'm used to older cars that vibrate. You know you're going too fast because things start to rattle. This is thing is so smooth and fast," says Dave. "You can get into a lot of trouble with this."

And this picture is just phenomenal (kudos to the MT photographers!)

Old 05-11-10, 04:09 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the article clearly stated this LF-A is a preproduction prototype and from what I have heard the prototypes are aluminum and NOT carbon fiber. This would explain the extra weight. I can only imagine had they tested the production version there would be even more gap in performance between the two.

"It is also a preproduction prototype -- a crusher in industry parlance. It has no VIN or license plate, and sits on non-DOT-approved tires, so we can't drive it on the street. When we're done with it, it gets shipped back to Japan where it will likely be reduced to a fine, expensive powder."
Thanks for stating that. I had the same idea. Pre-production prototype using the aluminum chassis and not the carbon fiber one. It WOULD explain the 300 pound difference. As would the same car from the Car and Driver website test.

Motortrend stated this was a prototype, a crusher. Why would they send a production car with a carbon fiber chassis to the crusher? Why not let one of the LFA's head staff have it? It's because this has to be an aluminum chassis car that's just had the production body. That's the most logical guess as to why this car and the one reviewed by Car and Driver weigh over 3500 lbs. Didn't lexus say the weight savings for carbon fiber vs aluminum was 300 lbs.? There's you're weight difference!
Old 05-11-10, 04:16 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I wonder if Lexus wouldn't want me to take one of the pre-production prototypes off their hands instead of going through the trouble and emotional stress of sending it to the crusher?

No?

Drivetrain, brakes, suspension and seats then?

Pretty please?

With a cherry on top?
Old 05-11-10, 04:19 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive

Can you tell us from where you "heard" that the prototypes are aluminum? I'm sure there were some earlier camo'd prototypes that weren't on CF, but this prototype with all production-ready body and interior? I don't think so. Just look at the pics in the gallery that comes with the article. It's more than clear that it's CF. The weight gain must be from the fluids.

Old 05-11-10, 04:41 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

a Carbon Fiber BODY is different than a Carbon Fiber CHASSIS. The Chassis on the prototypes were Aluminum up until last year. It's a possibility that these 'crusher' cars are aluminum chassis cars. There was someone on these boards that spoke with the Lexus people at one of the events and they told him that the LFA's with the Aluminum bodies are demo cars. Maybe this prototype was one of those demo cars.
Old 05-11-10, 04:52 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TF109B
a Carbon Fiber BODY is different than a Carbon Fiber CHASSIS. The Chassis on the prototypes were Aluminum up until last year. It's a possibility that these 'crusher' cars are aluminum chassis cars. There was someone on these boards that spoke with the Lexus people at one of the events and they told him that the LFA's with the Aluminum bodies are demo cars. Maybe this prototype was one of those demo cars.
I mean look at the two pics above! The chassis of the prototype that MotorTrend tested is clearly CF!
Old 05-11-10, 05:00 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I see carbon fiber on the body, where in the chassis can there be visible carbon fiber? the body is on top of the chassis. The body is made of CF, I don't know what you're trying to tell me to look at. I don't see a chassis with carbon fiber.

All i see is the rear and according to lexus the front and rear crash structures are made of aluminum. The tub is made of Carbon Fiber.

Quick Reply: Motortrend: LFA vs. GTR