LFA Model (2012)

Lexus will only sell the LFA to those who will flaunt it

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 11:42 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus will only sell the LFA to those who will flaunt it

The $350,000 Lexus LFA was one of the most buzz-generating vehicles at the ultra-luxury "Gallery" exhibit during the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this week. Coined the "two-seat supercar" by Lexus, the vehicle sits at the top of Lexus's "F" portfolio, its line of high-end sports performance vehicles.

Paul Williamson, with Lexus, speaks to WSJ reporter Lee Hawkins about the new Lexus LFA, which will require potential owners to be pre-authorized. The auto maker is only manufacturing 500 of the model.

But simply having the $350,000 to buy one of the 500 LFAs Lexus plans to produce won't be enough: Buyers must be tapped by the company to be owners. People selected to purchase the car will be based on factors such as the other cars they own, where they live, and how often and where they drive. Potential buyers must apply through an authorized Lexus distributor.

Lexus first introduced the LFA as a concept car at the 2005 Detroit auto show. LFA deliveries will start in early 2011, and only 20 of the hand-built cars will be produced each month, up to the maximum quantity of 500. Production starts in December at Toyota's Motomachi plant in Japan, and buyers can customize their cars with various colors and wheel designs, among other options.

On the road, the LFA will be able to accelerate from zero to 60 miles per hour in 3.6 seconds with a top speed of 202 mph, thanks in part to its 10 cylinder, 552-horsepower engine. The car is also made of strong yet lightweight carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer, which makes it about 220 pounds lighter than an equivalent aluminum design.

View Full Image
lexus
Getty Images

The LFA on display at the Tokyo Motor Show in October.
lexus
lexus

But in the end, the car's success may hinge on its exclusive ordering process and scarcity -- a tactic meant to boost the carmaker's image with the monied ultra-luxury set. While Lexus has built a respected reputation in the mainstream luxury market, the company has yet to successfully penetrate the ultra-luxury and performance car sector and compete with brands like Porsche and Lamborghini.

"We want people who will drive the car, who will be seen in the car," said Paul Williamson, national manager at Lexus College, Toyota's dealer training school. "We want it to be seen on the right roads, in front of the right restaurants and not just being enjoyed by one individual in their private garage."

Mr. Williamson said Lexus expects to sell about a third of the 500 vehicles in the United States
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...410010614.html

i know wall street journal isn't a auto source, but i thought it was pretty interesting.
Old 01-20-10, 12:21 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great! Then we'll get to see a lot of them hopefully!
Old 01-20-10, 06:04 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So they want to sell these cars only to rich gigolo's and celeberties..
Old 01-20-10, 07:23 AM
LexFather

Thanks for posting. WSJ is really repeating what we already knew and it makes sense. Lexus wants this car to be seen, so people can ask about it. We all know the LFA might be known by enthusiasts but the average person has no idea about it.

They simply do not want them in a garage collecting dust. To be even more fair, it is a Lexus so you will be able to drive the snot outta it on Sunday and drive it to work on Monday. It will be reliable.
Old 01-20-10, 07:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would.
Old 01-20-10, 07:39 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I love the LF-A and all but really. So I need a security screening before you take my money? Screw it, I'm going to go get that Lambo.

It just sounds like lexus is trying to manufacture status by not only making the car exclusive by virtue of price but also hard to obtain. It'll be like... "Oh look at me, I was approved by Lexus to have one so not only am I rich, I'm a Lexus kind of person".

I don't like this.

Last edited by speedflex; 01-20-10 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-20-10, 07:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Top tier hi perf flagship treatment for sure.
Old 01-20-10, 07:51 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
I love the LF-A and all but really. So I need a security screening before you take my money? Screw it, I'm going to go get that Lambo.

It just sounds like lexus is trying to manufacture status by not only making the car exclusive by virtue of price but also hard to obtain. It'll be like... "Oh look at me, I was approved by Lexus to have one so not only am I rich, I'm a Lexus kind of person".

I don't like this.
Ferrari does something similar with their cars. i belive before you even get a chance to buy an Enzo you have owned a few other Ferraris then you have to go to a driving school etc etc
Old 01-20-10, 08:22 AM
LexFather

Yeah this segment is just different to me and you buying a car. Everything is different and what might seem odd or snobby to us is the norm for them. One does not just go to a Ferrari dealership and buy a Ferrari, they will take you straight to the used car lot and say you have to "earn" the right to buy a new one.

Forget about being a newb and buying something like an Enzo or even Scuderia. Lexus as we know doesn't fool around when it comes to market research and treating the customer well. I can only imagine what they did for this market!

We saw people scoff at the $100k LS 600h L and that sold. If Lexus succeeds at this level, there is no limit to where the brand can go.
Old 01-20-10, 08:23 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by baadhabit
Ferrari does something similar with their cars. i belive before you even get a chance to buy an Enzo you have owned a few other Ferraris then you have to go to a driving school etc etc
The driving school is a great idea. I believe everyone who buys such a car should be professionally oriented to it and learn how to drive it.

And the Enzo is the Ferrari of Ferraris with only a handful built so I can see the point behind giving preferential treatment to long-time customers. What Lexus is doing doesn't seem like the same thing.
Old 01-20-10, 08:31 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

No mechanism will be perfect

I prefer the mechanism Lexus has established to the commonly experienced approach to hard to get cars:

The dealer gets the first one, beats on it and deals it later.

The dealer's friends and family get them.

The dealer jacks up the price per market.

The flippers grab them and they end up on Ebay or at specialty dealers at high prices.

With the LFA, Lexus has said, here it is, here is our approach, have fun.

I can say they Lexus has been terrific to work with and I am looking forward to going to Homestead for a ride with Mr. Pruett next Monday.
Old 01-20-10, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
No mechanism will be perfect

I prefer the mechanism Lexus has established to the commonly experienced approach to hard to get cars:

The dealer gets the first one, beats on it and deals it later.

The dealer's friends and family get them.

The dealer jacks up the price per market.

The flippers grab them and they end up on Ebay or at specialty dealers at high prices.

With the LFA, Lexus has said, here it is, here is our approach, have fun.

I can say they Lexus has been terrific to work with and I am looking forward to going to Homestead for a ride with Mr. Pruett next Monday.
lol yup, so true!
Old 01-20-10, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

"We want people who will drive the car, who will be seen in the car," said Paul Williamson, national manager at Lexus College, Toyota's dealer training school. "We want it to be seen on the right roads, in front of the right restaurants and not just being enjoyed by one individual in their private garage."
Maybe Lindsay Lohan will buy one and wreck it in a DWI, like she did two Mercedes SL65AMG's. That will certainly give it some publicity.
Old 01-20-10, 10:42 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The LFA is a car meant to be enjoyed and driven. It wasn't meant to be a garage queen or a car that just sits in a garage hidden from public view.
Old 01-20-10, 10:49 AM
Milla...

^^ no car for that matter, but its done regardless.
Lexus must do this as they are new to this game.

Quick Reply: Lexus will only sell the LFA to those who will flaunt it