LFA Model (2012)
View Poll Results: Your thoughts?
I am glad the LFA is here!
75.00%
Give me 375k worth of PCP
7.14%
I hate everything. You, LFA, the sun, I am a hater. I hate I voted. I hate this poll
13.10%
Not sure yet
4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

1SICKBLOG:LFA= How could I NOT write about the LFA this week ;the best is yet to come

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 08:31 AM
LexFather

Exclamation 1SICKBLOG:LFA= How could I NOT write about the LFA this week ;the best is yet to come

I mean what else could I write about? While this vehicle was planned back in 2000 amazingly, we didn't see it or hear about it until 2005 at the NAIAS. Autoweek covered it here
http://www.autoweek.com/files/specia...fa/pages/1.htm

A lot has changed since then, the economy stinks, the Yankees are back in the World Series, the iPhone and of course the car landscape. This quote at the end though is great.

The enthusiast's world can always use more sports cars: Here's hoping Lexus builds it.

Well Lexus has built it and if you are an enthusiast, you should be enthused. You should be just as enthused as when the new Ferrari debuts, the new Lambo, the new Pagani and any other exotic. Understand rarely does one exotic just dominate its group. Its usually a fight between exotics and reviewers pick their favorite. The only two exotics in recent memory that clearly dominated was the Mclaren F1, which re-wrote the exotic book. It also cost a cool million plus. The other is the Bugatti Veyron, which is also another cool million plus. Outside those two cars, you can argue and pick and choose which one is better than the other. What you cannot chose is saying one sucks or one is silly or one is overpriced. They are all exotics, they are all superb, they all should give you a woody. We are blessed that such cars are made and offered.

The LFA really has hit the automotive scene like no other Lexus and I haven't seen another Lexus so talked about, even before it debuted. A lot of people have been watching this car. So when it debuted, I noticed 3 different distinct groups;
-your complete idiot
-cannot get past price
-true enthusiasts
(honorable mention the GT-R group, the GT-R can solve the recession, cure cancer, lap the ring in 5 minutes backwards and it can reproduce baby GT-Rs)

The first group is one that should all be named the Simple Jacks. Ripping the car apart b/c its a Lexus. Maybe mad their brand doesn't have a competitor. Maybe mad Lexus actually went ahead and built it. They also hate the sun, hate water and the earth. They really do go to Hooters FOR THE FOOD. Saying its slower or won't be better than anything though it hasn't been compared yet (lets ignore the unofficial 7:24 time too). Not impressed with how its built. Telling Lexus they should not built it and its stupid. Its ugly. Its not that fast. They have no heritage. No racing. The engine is not made by them. Its heavy. Mind you their idea of the track is peeling out at Wal-Mart and the standard for driving excitement is an 88 Prelude.

The second group is much. much better but constantly brings up the price. Now I cannot lie, $375,000 or so for ANY CAR is mind boggling for me at this financial point of my life and for a LEXUS, it is even more dizzying. Thing is, I also scoff at a $70,000 LS 460. I am not immune to MSRP heart attacks. Thing is this is an EXOTIC, and part of the definition of an exotic is simply not to make any damn sense to the average person. Its just as easy for some guy to buy 2 LFAs without a second though as it is for people to type the 100 other things they would do with 375k than buy a LFA. Looking at how the car was manufactured I can understand how the price is where it is. I my not understand completely why but I cannot get caught in "worth" either. If we go there, we can break down "any" car that is super expensive? Why just the LFA? For the price of a Zonda, I can get a S 63, GT3, GTR, X5 M, daily hand rubs, my own bacon company, IS-F and 12 goats.

That is not the point all the time is it?

The last group are simple, true enthusiasts. They might never have liked Lexus, they might not understand the price. Some are head over heels over the car and some just respect that it is here. They cannot find much if anything to complain about b/c they are just happy ANOTHER supercar exotic is here, no matter who made it. They love the sound of the engine, the interior, the performance. They read the (very very very long) story behind the LFA. They like the fact the weight is low and the car seems to be a pure effort. Some are just happy to have a new car for their wallpaper. In a time when we are being told by so many sources "THE WORLD IS OVER" here is a car that says "THE BEST IS YET TO COME" For those diehard Japanese car fans, here is a car that represents the best of Japan and says to the usual suspects "mind if I join this party". They can appreciate the Lexus interpretation of the supercar.

Honorable mention goes to GT-R fanbois. Mind you I heart the GT-R and have for years. To me its pretty much all the performance anyone could ever need EVER. However some people want to impress upon everyone that the GT-R is the ONLY car you could ever need. Big difference. They state its fastest at the ring, its only 80k, its unbeatable, unstoppable, its an exotic, its a supercar, it also can make Vodka, it can power your house and it can also clean your credit. Every gotdamn time a new car debuts, GT3, GT2, R8, R10, Black Series, AMG, M, Bugatti, Pagani, LFA, Space Shuttle, F22, you get posts that the GTR will meet or beat it. Really its old now.

Everyone starts somewhere. Lamborghini started b/c he got pissed at how Enzo treated him. He had no racing history, HE BUILT TRACTORS! Horocio Pagani never raced and he started off sweeping floors at Lamborghini. He rose though the ranks and now creates his own vision of the supercar. Kosienegg is a rich guy with a passion for supercars. I commend him. Ferrari is clearly THE exotic car maker and they don't acknowledge ANYONE. They feel they don't have competition. If you notice Ferrari cars tested in magazines are loaned by private owners, rarely by Ferrari. When Ford built the GT 40 again, it was what 40 years later than the originals. The originals also came from scratch and were built b/c Enzo backed out of Ford buying Ferrari at the last minute. A few years later they dominated racing.

From reading the LFA Story, it sounds like the LFA is a new point for Lexus not just for entering the supercar market, but for sporty direction. It truly sounds like Lexus has found a way to keep their core values in the majority of their products and they have found NEW values to stay true to in the new "F" brand. From there, the brand has two different ways to ignite passion. Those that want serene luxury and those that want supreme performance.

I can't help but think the IS-F really was a true surprise. If the LFA was planned back in 2000, that was before the IS-F was even thought of. Remember, the IS-F was a "skunkworks" project not approved by Lexus until it was presented. They had no idea a hardcore team of Lexus employees was working on it. It sounds like Lexus meant for the LFA to debut first and then "F" cars would follow.

So the IS-F came first, the LFA is here but I don't see plans changing. I fully expect more "F" cars in the future. Get your checkbooks ready.
Old 10-26-09, 08:41 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate teases like this..

We all know it'll never hit full production.

That's too much rad.

Or the production model will be a severly bastardized version of that purdy machine you see in the link.. and not half as elegant.
Old 10-26-09, 08:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This car is the modern day interpretation of Jaguar's "halo car" the XJ220. It did nothing for the brand. Cars like this LFA should be the cherry on top of the cake.. But the cake needs to be made first before adding the cherry. Case being a revised line up with the inclusion of more than one performance oriented car. When one goes into a Lexus showroom & takes a good look at the current line up then the LFA, what is one to truly think?
Old 10-26-09, 09:19 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This car is the modern day interpretation of Jaguar's "halo car" the XJ220. It did nothing for the brand. Cars like this LFA should be the cherry on top of the cake.. But the cake needs to be made first before adding the cherry. Case being a revised line up with the inclusion of more than one performance oriented car. When one goes into a Lexus showroom & takes a good look at the current line up then the LFA, what is one to truly think?
Thank for proving my point about groups.

The XJ220 was a car that was PROMISED to be a V-12, people put deposits down and then Jaguar decided to make a turbo V-6. People got pissed and wanted their money back but Jag said "nope sorry". The execution is completely different

Also even then, Jaguar was losing money every year and their lineup consisted of 2 vehicles. Lexus is nowhere close to where Jaguar is.

Please try again.

Originally Posted by NemeGuero

That's too much rad.

Or the production model will be a severly bastardized version of that purdy machine you see in the link.. and not half as elegant.
Uhh, sir, here it is. It will be built starting next December.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...09-vid-up.html
Old 10-26-09, 09:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thank for proving my point about groups.

The XJ220 was a car that was PROMISED to be a V-12, people put deposits down and then Jaguar decided to make a turbo V-6. People got pissed and wanted their money back but Jag said "nope sorry". The execution is completely different

Also even then, Jaguar was losing money every year and their lineup consisted of 2 vehicles. Lexus is nowhere close to where Jaguar is.

Please try again.
Oh, nothing for me to try again.. I don't make cars.. Lexus does.. In the case of the LFA, a $400k car. Who will be pushing that "try again button" when all is said & done with the 500 or so halo cars?
Old 10-26-09, 09:46 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NemeGuero

That's too much rad.

not really, it's on lexus's website and can be customized...
http://www.lexus.com/LFA/

if you call the 1-800 # to ACTUALLY order, they'll pre-screen you to see if you "represent the LEXUS brand." they ask things like what you drive now, if you owned a super-car before, etc. i was told the price has NOT been set, but will be in the "neighborhood of $375,000 to $390,000." and no, if you own an IS-F, you will not be given priority, but it will be taken into heavy consideration...

my two cents, i'm happy the LF-A is coming, but not convinced it should have been $375,000+, despite the fact it will be sold out. i'm sure it is worth that much, i was just personally hoping for a reincarnated super supra that could be had around $100k or less. i guess now i hope lexus will develop other F cars from this, the IS-F hits only a small market.

Last edited by malujerry; 10-26-09 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-26-09, 09:48 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

dashocker is right. i cant imagine lexus planned the f brand before the isf showed up. but now that there is a sub brand, im guessing no supra until the f line is filled up =(
Old 10-26-09, 10:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree.

I love how some of the critics claim that this car in a few years will be "forgotten", and that this is to Lexus what the XJ220 was for Jaguar. The new techniques, technology, and innovation that Toyota has learned and created with the LFA project will be used in future projects.

Also looking around at almost every car site, blog, forum etc, since the LFA's debut last week, people have been talking about it. Whether it's praise or criticism for the car, people have been talking about it. On supercar websites and Ferrari websites people are talking about this car.

No Lexus before this, including the IS F, has ever had this much attention and recognition.

As for price, people complaining will probably never in their life buy an exotic supercar, or even consider buying one.

The whole meaning of an exotic car is that most people cannot afford it. If most people can afford it, it is no longer exotic. People can claim all day the GT-R is an exotic, but the FACT is that it is nowhere close to an exotic, because it is readily available and a lot of people can afford it.

The very definition of an exotic car is a car that is out of reach for the vast majority of people. It is a car in a totally different realm price-wise than most other cars on the market. It is a car most people can only praise, criticize, or dream about, but never actually afford.

An exotic car is also a car that not only is out of reach for most people price-wise, it is also a car that is very rare in terms of quantity. An exotic car is a car that is extremely hard to get due to both stratospheric pricing and high rarity.

Originally Posted by gshb
dashocker is right. i cant imagine lexus planned the f brand before the isf showed up. but now that there is a sub brand, im guessing no supra until the f line is filled up =(
Whether you "imagine' it or not, fact is the Lexus F sub-brand was planned before the IS-F arrived.
Old 10-26-09, 11:35 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

malujerry

I put my name in last week and had a somewhat different experience regarding the screening conversation.

they ask things like what you drive now,

I was asked only if I currently drive a Lexus

if you owned a super-car before, etc.

I did not get that question

i was told the price has NOT been set, but will be in the "neighborhood of $375,000 to $390,000."

I did not get any potential price range

and no, if you own an IS-F, you will not be given priority, but it will be taken into heavy consideration...

This sounds like a question you asked

Most of the screening was about the down payments, the timing of the decison on the 500 folks, what you had to do and when if chosen, making it clear that is was a lease with a buy option, you will work with Lexus Financial Services for the acquisition and your local dealer for the order specs so I had to choose a dealer, that the car would be registered in the US and the lease was not transferable.

In terms of use, they asked if the car would be stored unused, be part of a collection, raced or street driven.
Old 10-26-09, 11:48 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Indeed, the LFA is amazing, and like Autoblog suggests, it will be even more wonderful if they put all that carbon fiber, weight reduction, and other engineering expertise to a sub $100K car to slot in the massive gap between the FT-86, IS-F, and...LFA.

I'd like to know also what the official criteria are for an owner who can "represent the LEXUS brand." Armani? 250K/year?
Old 10-26-09, 11:59 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't the FT-86 the Supra successor? LF-A!!!!! lets gooooo
Old 10-26-09, 12:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Indeed, the LFA is amazing, and like Autoblog suggests, it will be even more wonderful if they put all that carbon fiber, weight reduction, and other engineering expertise to a sub $100K car to slot in the massive gap between the FT-86, IS-F, and...LFA.

I'd like to know also what the official criteria are for an owner who can "represent the LEXUS brand." Armani? 250K/year?
$250K a year ? I don't think so
I think the average $100k car owner should make more than that, especially for a "useless" toy ...
Old 10-26-09, 12:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
Isn't the FT-86 the Supra successor? LF-A!!!!! lets gooooo
No. FT-86 is a spiritual successor to the AE-86 Corolla.
Old 10-26-09, 12:11 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

The LFA is amazing in the same way that the Veyron is. What that means is that the car is the answer to a question that nobody asked, that's out of reach to most every one of us.
Old 10-26-09, 12:13 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The LFA is the total embodiment of what Lexus can do once it determines a goal. In this case the goal is leaps and bounds beyond anything it has aimed for in the past. To build a pure performance vehicle (the whole Supercar, Exotic label is irrelevant hogwash, in my opinion, once a car gets to this price range. What makes the LFA special is its performance) that can measure up to world standards. In the past Lexus has built cars that are luxury with an obsessive attention to quality. The LFA is a machine that shows the world that Lexus can rock the boat of the performance world on the same terms that Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche live by. From all early accounts Lexus has made a car no one, probably even many Lexus faithful, ever thought they could build.

We'll have to see if the car is a true game changer but for the time being it has done one very important thing... in an instant, it has changed everyone's (yes even some of those smug European auto journalists to take serious note) perception of a company who's dedication to pure performance was always in question.

Now, is the LFA a breakout car for the world or is it still just a break-out car for Lexus? I don't know. I can say at this point that while it looks great it has neither the sex appeal of a Ferrari or the outragousness of a Lambourghini. The performance numbers so far seem less than top drawer. But what does excite me is that the car seems to have a rawness and aggression that is unprecedented for Lexus.

So I think the LFA is a milestone for Lexus. Just what it will really bring to the company's image, no one can yet say.

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG:LFA= How could I NOT write about the LFA this week ;the best is yet to come