LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 01:43 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw that video a few days ago, quite amazing what that car sounds like and what it can do!
Old 10-07-10, 02:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

AutoExpress UK:

Lexus LFA vs Porsche GT2 RS

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...he_gt2_rs.html
Old 10-07-10, 03:04 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Everyone knows they're going to pick the Porsche. I don't get why they don't compare the RS to the Nurburgring edition when that comes out. I'd say that's more of a comparison. The GT2 is an awesome car, but really, a stripped down 911 with more power and rear wheel drive, some tuning to the suspension and some carbon fiber does not equal what the LFA is. The LFA is a one-off car, customizable, bespoke. I don't see why this comparison exists except the fact they're 500 of each going to be made. Though I'm interested to see if they get anything different in terms of #'s than the rest of the euro mags have been getting.
Old 10-07-10, 08:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I just finished watching "Battle of the supercar" (1000 HP Ford GT vs 1000 HP Viper Venom with failing ABS). I recorded it on my HDPVR (or DVR) just for the 30 second clip at the end of "LFA vs R8 V10".

They showed clips of the next episode of "LFA versus R8 V10" and as expected, looked like LFA definitely has this one in the bag as it seemed to be prevailing in every test.

They show both cars launching off the line for drag race and then LFA pulling away like a raging bull from the R8 V10 then cut to several high speed acceleration clips and LFA was always ahead of the R8 V10 by 4 - 6 car lengths in a high speed acceleration test (I think this was the rolling 1 mile high-speed acceleration test).

Then they cut to a race track lap where the R8 V10 was behind the LFA by about 2 car lengths then they cut to another Paul Tracy clip of acceleration test saying "it is going to be close" and then you see the LFA in the side window pulling away fast from the R8 V10.

They also showed clip of Tanner talking about the LFA and raving about the throttle response, engine sound etc.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-07-10 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-07-10, 08:29 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I got on here just cus i finished watching that episode too! I wanted to see if anyone else was watching it, or saw the preview for the next episode. I recorded it so I get to see the previews over and over in slow mo. And you're right, the LFA was ahead in just about every shot they showed. This should be informative about how good the LFA is in real world tests. Tanner looks to be enjoying himself with this car. It looks real good too, especially since it's on HD for me, and i get to watch it on a pretty good sized TV, 46inch. Looking forward to this episode.
Old 10-07-10, 08:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yep. Sony 46 inches Bravia LCD 1080p here too baby.

I did notice LFA was launching as fast as the R8 V10 and then pulling away like crazy. Since R8 V10 has 0 - 60 mph in the 3.4 - 3.5 seconds region, that means LFA should be in the low-3s for 0 - 60 mph.

I was surprised LFA was easily 7 - 8 car lengths ahead in the high-speed rolling mile drag race.

Hopefully, the episode will live up to its expectations and I will be enjoying it over and over again in HD.

Originally Posted by TF109B
I got on here just cus i finished watching that episode too! I wanted to see if anyone else was watching it, or saw the preview for the next episode. I recorded it so I get to see the previews over and over in slow mo. And you're right, the LFA was ahead in just about every shot they showed. This should be informative about how good the LFA is in real world tests. Tanner looks to be enjoying himself with this car. It looks real good too, especially since it's on HD for me, and i get to watch it on a pretty good sized TV, 46inch. Looking forward to this episode.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-07-10 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-07-10, 08:45 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I was watching the previews over and over. That LFA seriously looks good on film. Made the R8 look 'regular'! No wonder in that Youtube video, the Army guys were like 'forget the Audi'!
Old 10-07-10, 09:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I was watching the previews over and over. That LFA seriously looks good on film. Made the R8 look 'regular'! No wonder in that Youtube video, the Army guys were like 'forget the Audi'!
I wonder if tires might be making a difference??

I don't know if you noticed, "Battle of the supercars" is a sponsored program by Michelin as they advertise Michelin Pilot PS2 tires a lot during the show and also provides an unlimited supply of PS2 tires for the cars that are being tested.

I wonder going through sets of tires, the Michelin Pilot PS2 tires are better, grippier and stickier than the mediocre and flimsy Bridgestone S001 tires Lexus has been putting on the LFA prototypes???

I watched it over and over again and noticed the LFA was launching very fast without much wheel spin meaning the rubber was gripping very well.
Old 10-07-10, 10:22 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I wonder if tires might be making a difference??

I don't know if you noticed, "Battle of the supercars" is a sponsored program by Michelin as they advertise Michelin Pilot PS2 tires a lot during the show and also provides an unlimited supply of PS2 tires for the cars that are being tested.

I wonder going through sets of tires, the Michelin Pilot PS2 tires are better, grippier and stickier than the mediocre and flimsy Bridgestone S001 tires Lexus has been putting on the LFA prototypes???

I watched it over and over again and noticed the LFA was launching very fast without much wheel spin meaning the rubber was gripping very well.
Sorry no offense 05 but I'm starting to find your tire argument a bit weak after I noticed that the Ferrari 458 also comes factory-equipped with the BS S001 and has always been handed to the media for testing on these tires. So if the 458 can do 0-60mph in 3.2 secs, there's no good reason why the LFA would be so far from that figure on the same tires (OK, FR vs MR may be a good reason, but still, the point is that the S001 aren't really "mediocre and flimsy" like you try to make it to be).
Old 10-07-10, 10:52 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Well, that is the thing. LFA is not.

If you have read my past posts, I have elaborated on that. Bridgestone S001 are some of the most mediocre performance street tires that do a good job balancing street driving with track performance, but nowhere in the league of the Michelin PS2, Pirelli P Zero etc. tires which are designed for hardcore track purposes.

Regarding Ferrari 458 Italia, I had mentioned a few times before that almost every track test I have seen of the 458 Italia has it wearing either Michelin Pilot PS2 tires or Pirelli P Zero tires, but never Bridgestone S001. It may be the factory tires, but it is never delivered to any test with those tires on.

I am sure you are not aware that actually Ferrari 458 Italia was wearing the Michelin Pilot PS2 tires when it was delivered to SportAuto for its supertest. Were you???

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Sorry no offense 05 but I'm starting to find your tire argument a bit weak after I noticed that the Ferrari 458 also comes factory-equipped with the BS S001 and has always been handed to the media for testing on these tires. So if the 458 can do 0-60mph in 3.2 secs, there's no good reason why the LFA would be so far from that figure on the same tires (OK, FR vs MR may be a good reason, but still, the point is that the S001 aren't really "mediocre and flimsy" like you try to make it to be).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-07-10 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-07-10, 11:05 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

I don't care about straight line comparisons between the LFA and R8 V10. Supercars are track cars, I want to see them on the track. Couldn't care less if supercar X gets to 60 MPH .y seconds faster than supercar Z.

Point is I don't see 0 to 60 in high 3s to be a "problem" for the LFA. If it can get 0 to 60 in low 3s then that's great but it wouldn't make the car so much better. 0 to 60 is just a marketing tool. Once you get < 4 seconds anything extra is just icing on the cake as far as 0 to 60 goes.
Old 10-07-10, 11:55 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

The production car is supposed to have launch control, and this car seen possibly has it as well. There were videos posted on this thread before with Tanner testing the launch control. 3.6 to 60mph was done in perfect conditions without launch control, that's Lexus' statement. The dynamics of the car are already confirmed by the supertest and others around the ring. 1.5G in the corners is amazing, especially on the shoddy tires called Bridgestone S001 the LFA's were on. If you really think tires aren't an important role in times you're mistaken. Tires are everything. You can't throw all weather tires on a car and say it'll go like stink! Softer tires, one's with a semi-slick tread, will improve a cars handling acceleration and braking. SuperCars Exposed even states this in the show with the advertising with the michellin's.
Old 10-08-10, 07:21 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you guys are clutching at straws. As is the LFA is a great car that did exactly what it's engineers set out for it to do. Can't it just stand as an excellent car in it's own right and leave it at that?
Old 10-08-10, 10:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Considering in the 45 second clip, LFA was launching harder (despite AWD advantage to R8 V10) and making minced meat out of the R8 V10 in the standing 1/2 mile drag race by 8 - 10 car lengths, I don't see why LFA is not a low-3 second 0 - 60 mph car? It just was making 525 HP R8 V10 look like an ordinary car.

R8 V10 is no slouch. Every single 0 - 60 mph time of R8 V10 is 3.4 - 3.5 seconds in American tests.

The production car is supposed to have launch control, and this car seen possibly has it as well. There were videos posted on this thread before with Tanner testing the launch control. 3.6 to 60mph was done in perfect conditions without launch control, that's Lexus' statement. The dynamics of the car are already confirmed by the supertest and others around the ring. 1.5G in the corners is amazing, especially on the shoddy tires called Bridgestone S001 the LFA's were on. If you really think tires aren't an important role in times you're mistaken. Tires are everything. You can't throw all weather tires on a car and say it'll go like stink! Softer tires, one's with a semi-slick tread, will improve a cars handling acceleration and braking. SuperCars Exposed even states this in the show with the advertising with the michellin's.
Old 10-08-10, 10:51 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I think you guys are clutching at straws. As is the LFA is a great car that did exactly what it's engineers set out for it to do. Can't it just stand as an excellent car in it's own right and leave it at that?
Who's clutching at straws? That makes no sense whatsoever. I think were just enthusiastic to see the LFA's real performance in acceleration tests. Seeing as how it's around the same power to weight ratio as the 458, I think it's reasonable to believe it should perform close to the 458. Maybe you feel demo cars give off the performance that the production one's will, but i don't believe that's correct. Like I said, tires make a hell of a difference. If Battle of the Supercars uses the Michellin's on each of their cars like they have with every other episode, perhaps the LFA gets a little bit of a boost from actually GOOD tires instead of the bridgestone's it was wearing? It's not a myth that tires can do the trick.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)