LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 07:43 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Yeah, that was the Bridgestone S001 tire that was used in the SportAuto supertest.

You are correct, Ferrari 458 was using it in some early tests. However, almost all of the latest 458 Italia are using Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires.

Originally Posted by TF109B
Bridgestone is supposed to be making a one-off tire for the LFA and after that it is supposed to be used by Ferrari. That's what I've read elsewhere.
Old 09-20-10, 07:53 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Found this video produced by staff at the Westover Air Reserve Base, which was the site of the Lexus LFA vs. R8 V10 Battle of the Supercars filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAm9Eej84UE
Old 09-20-10, 08:14 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Gorgeous video!! Amazing! Probably more interesting than the show itself.

You can see in the drag race, LFA was 3 car lengths ahead in the 0 - 100 - 0 mph test. That means, even by 100 mph LFA is already a few car lengths faster.

Originally Posted by gengar
Found this video produced by staff at the Westover Air Reserve Base, which was the site of the Lexus LFA vs. R8 V10 Battle of the Supercars filming.

Old 09-20-10, 11:41 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound of the LFA from 0:58-1:02 is amazing!! The sound is borderline jet considering how loud it is. The Audi V10 sounds muted in comparison.
Old 09-20-10, 01:01 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LFA drowned out the Audi's sound when they both accelerated together at the end. And that was only half assed! You could hear when it got up to the higher rev range how loud it was. And the top speed fly-by was killer, the LFA will probably sweep this challenge. If not win 3 of the 4.
Old 09-20-10, 01:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

The LFA drowned out the Audi's sound when they both accelerated together at the end. And that was only half assed! You could hear when it got up to the higher rev range how loud it was. And the top speed fly-by was killer, the LFA will probably sweep this challenge. If not win 3 of the 4.
From my guess, seeing the conniving smirk on Foust's face as the presenter was interviewing Tracy, LFA was making him very happy. That is what my guess is.

Here is another one in which Tanner Foust is turning around and accelerating in LFA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZ9d...eature=related
Old 09-20-10, 01:34 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Sometimes I question these guys and their times. 4.1 to 100kmh for the GTR? Really? I guess they didn't know how to use the Launch Control. But magically 3.4 for the Gallardo huh? Yeah, something is a little fishy with those times. GTR wearing slick tires? And what's up with the LFA's braking? A longer distance than any car here? Results from different magazines can vary but this is some of the worse I've seen for the GTR and the LFA, yet still the LFA wins in the Nurburgring!
If the 7:38 time for the LFA proved to be accurate, then this said a lot about the preproduction car that was not quite up to par, but still won the Ring race. Can you imagine the test results of a properly tuned production model
Old 09-20-10, 01:36 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Thanks for posting this. I love it.
Old 09-20-10, 02:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
If the 7:38 time for the LFA proved to be accurate, then this said a lot about the preproduction car that was not quite up to par, but still won the Ring race. Can you imagine the test results of a properly tuned production model
Don't forget it is the full-track lap, which is 20.8 km rather than 20.6 km track.

This AutoBild comparison should put the whole "LFA 3 times more than GTR and not any faster" debate to rest. It showed LFA is in a different league. The Dunlop DSST tires GTR was wearing are major super-slick players, yet it was still slow by 5 seconds. Imagine if LFA was wearing super-slick tires. So there you have it. Your bragging rights.
Old 09-20-10, 02:45 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, once the production car hits with it's correct tires, the lap times will fall. Maybe not dramatically but substantially I'd say. With proper launch control it'll get out of the gates much better too. So I guess that picture from Lexus saying 0-60 in 3.2 seconds isn't off. Lexus don't usually make claims that can't be backed up. They undercut the IS-F's 0-60 times. C&D hit 60 in 4.2, that's nuts from a 3800lb. car with 415hp. LFA should easily walk away from that being 3300-3500lbs and 552hp. Launch control is what makes the 458 so fast off the line.
Old 09-20-10, 03:05 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Don't forget it is the full-track lap, which is 20.8 km rather than 20.6 km track.

This AutoBild comparison should put the whole "LFA 3 times more than GTR and not any faster" debate to rest. It showed LFA is in a different league. The Dunlop DSST tires GTR was wearing are major super-slick players, yet it was still slow by 5 seconds. Imagine if LFA was wearing super-slick tires. So there you have it. Your bragging rights.
Since you mentioned my other favorite car, I went to its forum and found this post written by one of the tuners today:

Today, we had the rare opportunity to be the first performance shop in the country to get their hands on the new Lexus LFA. One of our local clients is a huge car buff, and was the first person in the country to put a deposit down on his very own LFA. Although his custom prepared LFA won't arrive until Jan, a representative from Lexus corporate was charged with introducing a demonstration car to each buyer and allowing them to drive it for a half day. This yellow LFA is the East Coast demo car, and there is only one other in the country out on the West coast.

This particular client not only has done business with us in the past, but is also a good personal friend. So when he called me at 12:30pm and said he'd be at my shop in 20 mins with the LFA I was ecstatic! When the car rolled up, it brought our shop to a complete standstill...

Much like the GT-R, the LFA looks infinitely better in person. The body line is similar in many ways to the GT-R but with a more compact form factor and a tall broad shoulder line. It's physically a much smaller car. I took about 20 mins simply to take the car in and examine all of it's lines closely. This is a precision designed car with aggressive and sharp body lines along with some magnificent technology underneath the skin. From the carefully placed air inlets to the sturdy support structures for the active wing, it's all very well thought out and designed. The interior of the car is all business. Carbon fiber racing steering wheel, seats wrapped in alcantera and all gauges and controls well placed.

After my viewing it was time to give the LFA a well deserved test drive. After a 2 minute orientation by the nice lady from Lexus, I grabbed the paddles and set the transmission to "SPORT" mode. After making a right turn out of the parking lot I wasted no time in doing a quick 1,2,3 to 9000rpm down Cobb Parkway buzzing past a half dozen car dealerships in the process. One word: MAGIC! The exhaust note is by far the best sounding I have ever heard. It's a sharp Formula 1 inspired note, with very little bass or drone. The gearbox shifts were very sharp in SPORT mode but had that slight delay between power application that I've experience before in the gearbox from Ferrari and Lamborghini, and Audi. It's a shame the gear changes aren't instantaneous like our GT-R's, as it would have made this amazing machine that much better.

I kept heading southbound on Cobb Parkway on my way to my favorite "test track" also known as Delk Road by the Air Base. Noticing that my passenger was a little agitated with my 105mph blast down Cobb Parkway. I assured the Lexus representative that I was a licensed race car driver and I knew what I was doing. She seemed relieved and started to relax a little bit. She mentioned that nobody has taken this car above 4500rpm yet...oops...and she was really impressed with how fast the car was. Fortunately, she was unnerved and gave me full rein to drive the car as hard as I wanted to. One favorite section of my "track" is a nice right hand ramp with two sharp right hand turns inter-spaced with two short straights. I dropped the LFA down to 2nd gear and dove in. Body roll is nearly flat, and the brakes are tremendous. With my foot on the floor we rocketed out of the last right hander and enjoyed the music coming from the engine....another 2, 3, and part of 4 and we are 120mph in a heartbeat.

Overall, the OEM handling of the car is the best I have ever experienced. Flat and firm suspension manners and razor sharp steering make this one really fun car to drive fast. The power delivery is extremely linear with loads of power from 2500rpm all the way to the 9000rpm shift point I chose. No turbos, no turbo lag, just loads of power everywhere. It's a very different car from the GT-R; the LFA has a more purist feel to it despite it's high end hardware and technology behind it. Once our client takes delivery of his own LFA, you better believe we'll have it on the dyno, and tested right away. Maybe even a few "track" comparo's as well....perhaps some twin turbos?! Stay tuned!

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=44057
Old 09-20-10, 03:13 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Reading that review gives me goosebumps.

Since you mentioned my other favorite car, I went to its forum and found this post written by one of the tuners today:

Today, we had the rare opportunity to be the first performance shop in the country to get their hands on the new Lexus LFA. One of our local clients is a huge car buff, and was the first person in the country to put a deposit down on his very own LFA. Although his custom prepared LFA won't arrive until Jan, a representative from Lexus corporate was charged with introducing a demonstration car to each buyer and allowing them to drive it for a half day. This yellow LFA is the East Coast demo car, and there is only one other in the country out on the West coast.

This particular client not only has done business with us in the past, but is also a good personal friend. So when he called me at 12:30pm and said he'd be at my shop in 20 mins with the LFA I was ecstatic! When the car rolled up, it brought our shop to a complete standstill...

Much like the GT-R, the LFA looks infinitely better in person. The body line is similar in many ways to the GT-R but with a more compact form factor and a tall broad shoulder line. It's physically a much smaller car. I took about 20 mins simply to take the car in and examine all of it's lines closely. This is a precision designed car with aggressive and sharp body lines along with some magnificent technology underneath the skin. From the carefully placed air inlets to the sturdy support structures for the active wing, it's all very well thought out and designed. The interior of the car is all business. Carbon fiber racing steering wheel, seats wrapped in alcantera and all gauges and controls well placed.

After my viewing it was time to give the LFA a well deserved test drive. After a 2 minute orientation by the nice lady from Lexus, I grabbed the paddles and set the transmission to "SPORT" mode. After making a right turn out of the parking lot I wasted no time in doing a quick 1,2,3 to 9000rpm down Cobb Parkway buzzing past a half dozen car dealerships in the process. One word: MAGIC! The exhaust note is by far the best sounding I have ever heard. It's a sharp Formula 1 inspired note, with very little bass or drone. The gearbox shifts were very sharp in SPORT mode but had that slight delay between power application that I've experience before in the gearbox from Ferrari and Lamborghini, and Audi. It's a shame the gear changes aren't instantaneous like our GT-R's, as it would have made this amazing machine that much better.

I kept heading southbound on Cobb Parkway on my way to my favorite "test track" also known as Delk Road by the Air Base. Noticing that my passenger was a little agitated with my 105mph blast down Cobb Parkway. I assured the Lexus representative that I was a licensed race car driver and I knew what I was doing. She seemed relieved and started to relax a little bit. She mentioned that nobody has taken this car above 4500rpm yet...oops...and she was really impressed with how fast the car was. Fortunately, she was unnerved and gave me full rein to drive the car as hard as I wanted to. One favorite section of my "track" is a nice right hand ramp with two sharp right hand turns inter-spaced with two short straights. I dropped the LFA down to 2nd gear and dove in. Body roll is nearly flat, and the brakes are tremendous. With my foot on the floor we rocketed out of the last right hander and enjoyed the music coming from the engine....another 2, 3, and part of 4 and we are 120mph in a heartbeat.

Overall, the OEM handling of the car is the best I have ever experienced. Flat and firm suspension manners and razor sharp steering make this one really fun car to drive fast. The power delivery is extremely linear with loads of power from 2500rpm all the way to the 9000rpm shift point I chose. No turbos, no turbo lag, just loads of power everywhere. It's a very different car from the GT-R; the LFA has a more purist feel to it despite it's high end hardware and technology behind it. Once our client takes delivery of his own LFA, you better believe we'll have it on the dyno, and tested right away. Maybe even a few "track" comparo's as well....perhaps some twin turbos?! Stay tuned!

Old 09-20-10, 03:58 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5...scars458it.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5...scars458it.jpg
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6...cars458itx.jpg
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5...scars458it.jpg
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5...scars458it.jpg
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/585...scars458it.jpg
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/5...scars458it.jpg
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5...scars458it.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5...scars458it.jpg
http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/5...scars458it.jpg
Old 09-20-10, 05:10 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Default LF-A in the ATL

Here a vid i took of the LF-A arriving at the dealer today, the guy driving it up I'm told is one of the lucky 500 in the US who will be getting one. The young lady you see is the Lexus rep from the factory who drives it into the show room. I shot this vid in 720p HD with my iphone 4 so sorry for the shaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-EixUReZd0

Here is the car in the show room a lot of excitement for the car, even the service techs came up to take pics, and sit in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5wTFVu5-b4
Old 09-20-10, 06:39 PM
LexFather

Fantastic write up! I know exactly where that is and that is a nice road to open up on.

I'll share my pics tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)