LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 08:57 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need one of those models!
Old 04-26-10, 12:47 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that red LFA is NICE. I mean, all LFA's are nice, but the red one just stands out, because, it's RED! Take that Ferrari. But to the poster about the Nurburgring edition, i always wondered about the specs and the price. I thought it might be lighter than the 'regular' LFA.
Old 04-26-10, 09:02 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
I have a question to the LFA purchasers, if you have the chance are you going to just purchase the regular LFA or are any of you looking into the Nurburgring edition? I'm not sure if there is much of an appeal to any of you with that car, but me personally if i was in the position, would look to purchase that version. My other question is, is it any more expensive? I've read about it but I figured some inside information could be found out here with some actual buyers.
I'm going to get the regular LFA. I will admit the higher output of the Nür edition is appealing - it puts the hp/L up past the stradale/scuderia, which is very impressive considering the base LFA already gets better hp/L than any of its V10 competitors - but the bottom line is that I'm buying the LFA because it's a technologically amazing supercar that still maintains Lexus' signature characteristics. I'm willing to pay a premium because I get to have an exotic with a nice interior, good ergonomics and design, and creature comforts like Nav/ML implemented in a pleasant, sensible way that Lexus seems to do best.

I have no doubt the Nür edition will be much lighter because it will get rid of a lot of the interior features in the name of weight reduction. I would not be surprised at all if Lexus is able to cut 100kg+ by removing or replacing various interior/exterior components. That's going to make it an absolutely ridiculous performance vehicle, but if I really wanted a shelled-out race-oriented car that offers little more than the basics, I'd buy something a lot cheaper and less elegant... like a Scuderia.

I'd imagine the Nür edition will have a premium. The configuration sheet has an option to select it but there are no prices listed on the sheet at all (for any options). Most of the other options were given prices in the pricing announcement in February (like the $20k matte black option ) but the Nür edition was not on it, as it had not been announced at that time. I can inquire as to the pricing, though.

Anyone pay any attention to the VLN races at the nurburgring?
As a casual motorsport fan I always try to follow anything going on at the Nür. It's fun to watch the webcasts, when available, as well. I wouldn't put much on the LFA's performance in SP8 since there aren't many cars in that class (it's usually just a C6 and sometimes a V12 Vantage, and of course Gazoo's ISF), but I like following anything relating to the LFA at the Nür because that track had so much to do with the car's development. I would love to drive the Nür sometime, but despite having what I would consider a moderate amount of track experience, I do not believe I am currently qualified to do so at anything resembling racing speeds.

Of course, the most recent VLN ended tragically when one of the Aston GT4 drivers died in an accident. Very sad.

Last edited by gengar; 04-26-10 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-27-10, 08:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Great pics .

Thanks....

I just found this Lexus doc to go with the rest of the Track Prepped LFA

Attached Thumbnails Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)-lfa-track-prep.jpg  
Old 04-28-10, 12:34 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Gengar- are you for sure when you say that the Nurburgring edition of the LFA will have a stripped interior? I know it has more HP and might be a bit lighter, but I would imagine it would come with a pretty nice interior in much the way the 599GTO does. Cutting weight doesn't necessarily mean stripping the interior as much as cutting away some of the excess. I would guess that your choice for the LFA is much in an opinion as to how you would like to perceive the LFA. I would perceive it as the Ultimate track machine combined with a nice interior. I guess I could do without all the extra add-ons. I would make the LFA a track car, but a GT it really is.

Anyway head over to http://www.leftlanenews.com/lexus-lfa-hybrid.html and check out the spy shots of this LFA. I'm not sure what it's intentions are but they seem to think it could be a Hybrid Plug-In version. I think it's something different, maybe another edition of the LFA, or maybe an LFA shell to another vehicle. Maybe a new Lexus SC, or maybe a new Toyota sports car, ala Supra? What do you guys think?
Old 04-28-10, 12:38 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No one knows for sure what car is being tested here, but the new spyshots have their own thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...d-next-sc.html
Old 04-28-10, 11:31 AM
gengar

Gengar- are you for sure when you say that the Nurburgring edition of the LFA will have a stripped interior?
No, I haven't heard anything from Lexus about it nor have I read anything in the official announcements indicating such. My estimation is based on what I believe Lexus wants out of a Nür edition of the LFA, as well as the lack of option package availability for the Nür edition on the ordering sheet. Certainly I could be wrong.
Old 04-28-10, 11:46 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I received an email in early April mentioning the $70K upcharge for the package.

I extracted a few interior details

Specification
Instrument Panel Upholstery Detail
Alcantara
Upholstery limited to Alcantara only

Center console panels
Clear-coated CFRP (Carbon Fiber
Reinforced Plastic) Exclusive to Nürburgring Package
Alcantara
Power seats

Luggage net
Not available

Floor mats
Removed to further reduce weight
Old 04-28-10, 02:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I received an email in early April mentioning the $70K upcharge for the package.

Specification
Alcantara

Center console panels

Alcantara
Power seats

Luggage net
Not available

Floor mats
Thanks for the info, this has me really curious now, especially the bold part.
Old 04-28-10, 09:06 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

that sounds ridiculously cool with the center console panel being made of CFRP. Isn't the center console panel in the non-nur' edition made of metal? Sounds like that would save weight off the bat, as would the fixed wing, maybe lighter wheels, and the removal of the floor mats. Wonder how much weight is saved.
Old 04-28-10, 11:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
Thx for the links! The LFA looks great in each color so far...well maybe the Nurburgring orange is a bit different, but so far no real pictures of that I think...

Also: BBC America is airing the LFA Top Gear episode on April 26 at 8/7C for US viewers. That's the segment with the spaceship effects etc. It will repeat later next week too.
Old 04-28-10, 11:03 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

Specification
Alcantara

Center console panels
Alcantara
Power seats

Luggage net
Not available

Floor mats
Sucks that it seems that you can't get CF buckets in the US.
Old 04-30-10, 08:02 AM
LexFather

Old 04-30-10, 06:27 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
holy crap, more pics of the showroom.
Old 05-02-10, 12:06 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by gengar
No, I haven't heard anything from Lexus about it nor have I read anything in the official announcements indicating such. My estimation is based on what I believe Lexus wants out of a Nür edition of the LFA, as well as the lack of option package availability for the Nür edition on the ordering sheet. Certainly I could be wrong.
As a follow-up to this, I talked to Lexus people about the Nür package last week and they said there will be very little weight reduction on it, which is pretty disappointing to me. The main differences are the aerodynamics (front lip spoiler, canards, rear spoiler), more-aggressive suspension and faster-shifting transmission, and a nominal power output bump to 562hp. Weight-saving is limited to the removal of the floor mats that S2000toIS350 reported, use of mesh aluminum wheels, and replacement of metal trim on the center console with CF. That's pretty nominal. I don't consider the alcantara interior to be a weight reduction since that's available with the standard package. In any case, it appears it'll retain the interior of the standard model.

I would have really liked to have seen the Nür edition shed 200lbs or so. I'm surprised they aren't attacking the weight with replacements like sport buckets (gimmicky features like seat belt airbags or not), removing interior amenities, etc.

Cost will be bumped up to $445,000 as previously reported, which includes a Nürburgring annual pass and driving experience package.

I forgot to ask what options packages it can come with. I assumed previously it only comes with the basic, non-nav/ML pacakge; I'll ask about it on Tuesday.

BTW, I was told that one of the interior options is black and purple. I assume this is a nod to Tanahashi Haruhiko, the LFA's chief engineer.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)