LFA Model (2012)

My take on how the LF-A will propel Lexus into another atmosphere

Old 07-07-09, 10:40 PM
LexFather

Post My take on how the LF-A will propel Lexus into another atmosphere

Lexus is 20 years old and what a fitting birthday present. There is no Top Gear writing today, no buttering you up for a big punchline at the end. Let me say it now;

"The LF-A is going to propel Lexus into places we never thought about".

Period. I am not here to compare Lexus to its Japanese brothers Acura and Infiniti but we all know its not a close race today. If you thought the gap was huge now, well, we have a maybe 250k, 550hp, V-10 and maybe V-8/hybrid exotic gap coming and its coming soon. Lexus seems to have focus rarely seen in business.

Like the LS 460 and more so the LS 600h L, the LF-A is taking Lexus into the exosphere!! It was just a couple years ago that very LS was the first Lexus and Japanese car to have a MSRP over 100k. Sales were over 300% past expectations. It PROVED people do indeed want and are willing to pay for a truly expensive Lexus. This was great ammunition for Lexus and the LF-A!

Now the LS is very much within Lexus "core" values with the hybrid extending them? What about the LF-A? Core values? How about crazy values?

Here is another thought. The IS-F has sold on par with its competition (until they all dove b/c of the economy) and IT WAS NOT a planned Lexus product. Reviews love the car. This is NOT a planned Lexus product.

The LF-A is. We have seen the tremendous testing and its body evolve. Lexus is pouring EVERYTHING into this vehicle. If the SC was the Lexus pearl, this is the Lexus Great Star of Africa diamond.

We have seen some stats. This car's goal is basically to be the new Nurburgring boss. We have rumors of sub 7:30 times. Is the internet truly prepared to acknowledge Lexus now is truly the sportiest of the Japanese brands? This is a car now even BMW has competition for. I don't think so. I don't even know if I'm prepared for it.

Where else does the LF-A propel itself? Into the future, the kids. Truly maybe for the first time, that poster on the kids wall will be of a LF-A, next to a Ferrari and a Lambo. Will it make its mark onto enthusiasts worldwide( GT-R anyone and the superb job Nissan has done there) who CANNOT begin to afford it?

We constantly hear that Lexus has no prestige against the Germans. As big as Lexus awards cabinet is, they are right, the history is not close. If you thought that was bad, well now the Italians will remind us why Lexus has no heritage . What would Mr. Enzo Ferrari say? We do know that there are those that will respect the car for what it brings. Some people will truly be intrigued by a true Japanese Super-car. Most of us love the NSX and for all its fantastic merits, it is not a super-car.

With a new president who bares the companies name Lexus is in better hands than before. He seems truly committed to making better vehicles which is great for us. He also seems committed to sportier vehicles, which is great for those that want a sportier Lexus. I am positive he is no fool, its not just to please us, but to please those shareholders. Lexus is a tremendous profit maker for Toyota. They are not a seperate entity and their value is 92 out of the top 100 companies worldwide. Incredibly ahead of Nissan and Ferrari.

Luxury brands should be "aspirational" not value driven. They should offer products to enthusiasts you think about often. Surely the Lexus buyer is a smart one and worried about value but not at the cost of buying a lesser car. Thats not value. The LF-A truly propels Lexus into an "aspirational" category the likes we have not seen you.

I can't wait until TAS!!!
Old 07-07-09, 10:57 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just hope that it will be conservative looking
Old 07-08-09, 11:55 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I totally agree with you Mike, Lexus has come a long way and still has a long way to go and I'm glad that Lexus is going that route with producing an exotic super sports car. Hopefully Lexus brings the LF-A convertible and a hybrid model. Lexus will then have a 10 model line up.

I like how Lexus has expanded the IS line. The current IS line has the sedan, convertible and an "F" performance model. It would be great if the IS line included a coupe, wagon and hybrid. I'm sure one of these days the IS will outsell the ES. Currently the Infiniti G sedan and coupe outsell the IS.

I think the ES line should include a hybrid and I think that would complete the ES line. The ES has outlived the Infinit I.

As for the GS bring in the V10 GS F and that line would be complete with the GS 350, GS 460 and GS 450h. The GS outlived the Infiniti J.

The LS line is doing fine with the LS 460, LS 460 L and the LS 600h L. The LS has also outlived the Infiniti Q.

Last edited by Trexus; 07-09-09 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-08-09, 12:21 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After lexus get this out I would like to see the SC finally updated. And a small 2 seater coupe.... maybe even make it MR.. Lexus MR2 anybody? If executed correctly the Z4 nor SLK would have nothing on it.

The continued expansion of the F-line... GS-F, IS-F Coupe, SC-F.

And get back to making Lexus UNQUESTIONABLY the best QUALITY cars out there.

Akido will get it done. It's a good time to be a Lexus fan

p.s. I's like to see more participation from Lexus in Motorsports. You listening guys?
Old 07-08-09, 02:24 PM
JessePS

I found a youtube clip

youtube

man its quick, it passed some cars like they weren't even moving *drops jaw*
Old 07-08-09, 03:57 PM
DeTomaso
Rookie

At first i thought building only 500 units of this car was a too conservative sales expectation. Now that the price keeps heading north of $200k, and some suggest even 300k, i think 500 might be quite a good figure after all. Looks like Lexus is going for a 'budget friendly' (read: not costing 500k) halo supercar like the Carrera GT, Ferrari Enzo and SLR and not aiming at an F450, GT2 or R8. Considering the numbers of those supercars sold, with just 1250 CGT's and 400 Enzo's and a little bit over 2200 SLR's, Lexus wants to avoid raising too high expectations. Maybe they are planning on doing the same as Alfa Romeo did with its C8 Competizione with limiting production to 500 coupé's and 500 roadsters?
Old 07-08-09, 05:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DeTomaso
At first i thought building only 500 units of this car was a too conservative sales expectation. Now that the price keeps heading north of $200k, and some suggest even 300k, i think 500 might be quite a good figure after all. Looks like Lexus is going for a 'budget friendly' (read: not costing 500k) halo supercar like the Carrera GT, Ferrari Enzo and SLR and not aiming at an F450, GT2 or R8. Considering the numbers of those supercars sold, with just 1250 CGT's and 400 Enzo's and a little bit over 2200 SLR's, Lexus wants to avoid raising too high expectations. Maybe they are planning on doing the same as Alfa Romeo did with its C8 Competizione with limiting production to 500 coupé's and 500 roadsters?
Good point about the Alfa....with the economy down they probably don't see huge demand either, whereas in the recent past, people were buying not just one but ALL of the cars in that class.

This is again uncharted territory for any Japanese car company (in other words very risky)!
Old 07-08-09, 10:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great post Mike!

I had the opportunity to view the LF-A I at the LA Auto Show, and see the LF-A II Roadster in Tokyo...each time the vehicle took my breath away, moreso the second version. And upon seeing the roadster, overheard a lady tourist exclaim to her husband, "Mercedes? Forget about it...look at what Lexus has!" But I digress...(and the SLR McLaren, which I've also had the chance to see, is quite a beauty and incredible in its own right).

Indeed the LF-A (or SS 550 or GT-F) is truly the ultimate halo car for Lexus, on orders of scale more than the 'jewel of Lexus' SC 430. However, with word that the roadster will not make it to production, perhaps the 3SC can take a similar form to the gorgeous drop-top LF-A concept? Lexus Japan has a 500?-piece puzzle with this roadster photo, and a poster of that car would be quite fitting IMO.

In terms of building prestige, I'm in agreement that the LF-A will elevate Lexus greatly. However, quantifying that effect is an inexact science. It will be a limited volume, rare vehicle...but judging by the crowds for the LF-A concept at auto shows, its impact will be greater than the limited number built. However, at the same time I think of contrarian views like some marketing gurus who have dampened expectations for halo cars, and suggest that automakers should focus on their core attributes rather than quixotic 'vanity' projects. My view is, with Lexus continuing to stress its core luxury value, even in extreme vehicles like the IS-F, I think it's possible for the brand to "explore the outer reaches of performance" and build its luxury reputation at the same time.

In terms of the 500 unit number, I think that itself is ambitious given the global economic environment and the existing supercar competition and their limited sales numbers. I also do wonder if Lexus' fast rise has reached the outer limits of what any brand can do. To have a supercar is an impressive exclamation mark at just 20 years, and a fitting celebratory model, but it also represents more of a reach than the LS 600h L. Reason being that the LS 600h was an extrapolation of existing Lexus traditions -- a 'super LS' -- building on long-discussed plans for a V12 LS that were floated in the late 1990s. Its success at the $100K+ price has placed Lexus as the first Asian luxury make in the rarefied ultra-luxury class. The talk of 20 units earmarked for the UK reminds me of a discussion I had with a Lexus Taiwan salesman, who told me that 50 LS 600h Ls were earmarked for the country in 2008 and were all spoken for. With limited volume and careful market research, which Lexus in general has done well, they may be able to pull off an LF-A success.

It would be great to see this vehicle succeed, and especially if it attains the unique collectible / landmark status of iconic vehicles of their respective eras. Some writers have suggested that the LS 600h L was a step in that direction. The lauded 1LS and 1SC have gotten an iconic status of sorts, but they remain by definition more mainstream, mass-market luxury models. The ultra-luxury class operates with more exclusivity, and the LF-A may launch Lexus further into that arena...and who knows, perhaps the designation may continue to be used for a future generation of Lexus supercar, particularly if the LF-A technologies trickle into a GS-F and other models. That would be the ultimate achievement and further Lexus' pursuit of prestige. Things look highly promising with Akio Toyoda taking the helm--reports of him contacting Lexus management weekly, with great interest particularly in the F-division and new products, are music to Lexus enthusiasts' ears.
Old 07-09-09, 06:57 AM
anajri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think this produccion will be a problem. i think that they are going to have to produce more.. think about it. How many dealers are in the USA and Japan. and imagine that at least half of the dealers will try and order at least 1. sold or not. I know that we are getting one and we live in the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. so let say tha t for the us 250 dealers order one, that half for the US and half for the rest of the world. they should sell 500 units no problem.. especially with the times like 7.16 in nueburing ( sorry for spelling) that the test car was doing. so i think that this car will put lexus in the map like the GTR did for nissan
Old 07-09-09, 07:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Great posts Mike and Henry.

While I am as excited about the LF A as anyone else here, I think the best thing about the car will be the trickle-down effect that it has on the rest of the lineup. The LF A represents an entirely new stratosphere of performance technology for Lexus, which is already a tech-savvy company. In terms of suspension, power, weight saving, driving dynamics, transmissions, and overall performance, this car has been a tremendous learing experience for the company that I am sure will influence their future endeavors. I think that the effects of the LF A will be felt throughout the lineup in coming years as Lexus applies the things that they have learned to lesser models.

Additionally, I think the car will set a precedent for F vehicles and it also brings a lot of established technology to use on the next IS F, GS F, SC F, etc. A V10 is now here to use, as are the suspension designs, transmissions, and who knows what else.
Old 07-11-09, 12:55 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

These posts made me quite proud to own a Lexus and be apart of a full fledge Lexus family, for the sheer fact I own and promote a company that has, like stated, aspirational values.

What Lexus has started to pursue is something that is similar to watching one of your children grow up and try to join the leagues of famous brain surgeons. That being said, I just cannot wait the other kids start to get inspired by their big brother

The LF-A in the posted video looked just like a road monster that is modern, elegant and not over done; it has a beautiful simplicity about it that reminds me of sleeper cars.
Old 07-11-09, 05:56 AM
Sintokill
Driver

le-sex lol
Wonder who would afford the lf-a.Can't wait to see it on the road!