LF-A & GS-F Delayed ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 06:27 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow LF-A & GS-F Delayed ???

Lexus Delays LF-A & GS-F; Redesigned RX & Small-SUV on the Way
While the rest of the market moves away from the SUV segment, Lexus has been enjoying increasing sales of the RX crossover and its large GX and LX SUVs. While dealers are hoping that its passenger cars see an update, which are starting to look pretty outdated, redesigns for the brands sedans are still a couple of years away.

In the near feature, Lexus will debut a redesigned RX next year along with a decicated hybrid model to debut at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show.

The Lexus IS sedan won’t see a redesign until 2012, however a coupe/convertible are expected to arrive in the spring of 2009 as a 2010 model. The ES redesign will come in 2011 as a 2012 model and a hybrid model will carry the V6 from the RX400h. LS will get a redesign in 2013.

As for high-performance F versions - the Lexus GS-F which was supposed to carry on the torch from the Lexus IS-F has been put on hold until the economy improves. The GS lineup is expected to get redesign in 2011 which should give Lexus enough time to make a decision.

The production version of the Lexus LF-A has also been delayed. It was supposed to arrive this year but insiders say that the model isn’t hitting performance targets to be priced as a $160,000+ performance car. Not to mention launching a six-figure sports car at a time like this may be suicidal for Lexus. Sources say that Lexus will most likely wait until 2010 or early 2011.

Lexus is also planning a small-crossover - a Toyota RAV4 version for Lexus. The small-crossover will compete with the BMW X3 and GLK and will arrive as a 2013 model.

Old 08-11-08, 06:32 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I call BS. Lexus has repeatedly said no smaller SUVs, and the GS-F was always planned for 2012 as a 2012/2013 MY from the sources I have spoken to.

LF-A? I really don't care anymore. If the car doesn't come out next year then I don't think they should bother.
Old 08-11-08, 07:17 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know much of this doesn't seem realistic to me, I also have read Lexus was not interested in the mini-SUV market and if so why they will wait till 2013, that is really far off. Also if Lexus was waiting till 2012 to come out with a ESh why would it still by running by the 400h model V6 i'm sure something newer would be out by then.

This sounds like it was written by someone who doesn't really like Lexus. "While dealers are hoping that its passenger cars see an update, which are starting to look pretty outdated, redesigns for the brands sedans are still a couple of years away." None look outdated to me. Also sales of the RX and GX increasing I believe they have decreased only the LX has seen an increase recently.
Old 08-11-08, 07:47 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Another Article

New Model Updates Expected to Turn Around Flagging Sales for Lexus
Sales of Toyota’s large SUVs and pickups may have tanked in the U.S. but the carmaker’s luxury division, Lexus, is doing even worse, with July sales levels diving 25% from levels just one year ago. Part of the problem is that Lexus’ sales are heavily skewed towards its luxury SUV models such as the RX and LX lines at a time when the market is moving away from those vehicles. Another key problem is that Lexus’ sedan lineup is starting to show its age against many of its rivals.

To invigorate its aging lineup, Lexus is planning several significant updates in the coming years including the addition of an all-new model. The first new model will be the redesigned RX range, which is expected to launch early next year as a 2010 model. The new RX will be slightly bigger than the current model and will include a third-row seating option for the first time. There will be several new hybrid versions too, as Toyota has already filed trademarks on the RX 430h, RX 440h and RX 450h titles, reports Automotive News.

In 2010 Lexus is expected to launch its new LF-A supercar and will follow it soon after with a flagship roadster variant. Both cars will feature a high-revving V10 engine with more than 500hp (373kW) and a price tag in excess of $160,000.

After the LF-A, Lexus will debut its first dedicated hybrid model. Based loosely on the next-generation Toyota Prius, the new model will arrive in late 2010 and feature a four-cylinder petrol engine mated to the latest iteration of Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive system. Around this time, Lexus is also expected to launch convertible and coupe versions of the IS.

The next-generation ES sedan will be updated along with the new Toyota Camry and is not due to appear until 2011. That same year will also see the introduction of the next-generation GS range. A high-performance version of the current GS, meanwhile, has reportedly been put on hold as officials wait to see if the economy improves.

Unlikely to see a replacement is the current SC430 convertible and GX crossover. Both cars have seen sales slump and there are currently no plans for replacement models. Finally, Lexus is expected to introduce a new crossover model based on the Toyota Rav4 platform for Japanese and European markets, but there are currently no plans to bring this model to the North America. This could change, however, if fuel prices remain where they are or go even higher.

Old 08-11-08, 07:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Truly sad for us Lexus folks.. People who are truly in the buying market for enthusiast machines in the class of the LF-A & GS-F will just end up shopping elsewhere like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, & Cadillac.. So I guess we can expect the 2001 VHS recording of the Lexus winter sales event (with the same cars) to be played over the airwaves during the winters of 2008, 09, 10,& 11...?
Old 08-11-08, 08:15 AM
LexFather

Total 100% hogwash. The brand has had sales records every year for the past what 15 years, of COURSE they will peak and it seems it was last year. Lexus is not just going to throw everything out b/c of a few bad months.

The gotdamn article forgets Lexus has had 2 orr 3 new vehicles debut the past few years and this year its ONLY the limited production IS-F and LX.

A crock of crap. You don't just throw away your entire forecasting book and what you have worked on b/c of a 4 or 5 bad months, when EVERYONE is struggling.

The brand is still #1 here, its growing in Europe and Japan and #1 in Asia and now China.

Who writes this stuff?

THe NEXT RX WILL NOT have a 3rd row, no cute ute is coming. Sigh...
Old 08-11-08, 08:21 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

I'm really surprised about the GX not being replaced... seeing as it's the Toyota Land Cruiser model for most of the rest of the world, as the American Land Cruiser is usually a touch too big for Europe. I feel like the GX is the sensibly priced alternative to the LX. Although maybe Body on frame SUV's are now a thing of the past, other than ultra lux LX570s and Range Rovers.
Old 08-11-08, 09:02 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The GX is actually the Toyota Prado for the rest of the world. Anything bigger than a Rav4 will probably be too big for the Europeans

Bookmarked in case Lexus reveals a cute-ute
Old 08-11-08, 09:47 AM
Koma

Now did Lexus say no cute-utes at all or no cute-utes for North American market?
Old 08-11-08, 09:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

By the time they're released, they'll be outdated.

Might as well make new products beyond the LF-A and GS-F...
Old 08-11-08, 10:28 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

soon, cars will be redesigned every year because they're outdated like cells phones are outdated every other month in korea. lol
Old 08-11-08, 10:39 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
By the time they're released, they'll be outdated.

Might as well make new products beyond the LF-A and GS-F...
That's like saying they shouldn't call the M3 the M3 because it's becoming outdated. Same name, new technology. Cars aren't computers
Old 08-11-08, 10:48 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People who are truly in the buying market for enthusiast machines in the class of the LF-A & GS-F will just end up shopping elsewhere like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, & Cadillac
I think making the F series Lexus models are a mistake...spend the money on more luxury and refinement. Not enough demand IMO to warrant these models and the IS-F goes againts the Lexus portfolio.
Old 08-11-08, 11:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Koma
Now did Lexus say no cute-utes at all or no cute-utes for North American market?
They stated it over a year ago. They said they looked at it but looking at sales of the RDX and X3, Lexus didn't warrent the need for it as they were missing targets.

Lexus seems to be right as now the INfiniti EX is missing targets as well. All 3 vehicles depend on huge incentives or lease deals to sell.

Another thing is image/prestige, a SUV lower than the RX would sell in droves but it would be the FOURTH Lexus SUV and they fighting the "Staid" image. A cute-ute would not help at all.

If they sell 100k RXs, they could sell 50k sub RX Suvs without evening sneezing.
Old 08-11-08, 11:04 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I think making the F series Lexus models are a mistake...spend the money on more luxury and refinement. Not enough demand IMO to warrant these models and the IS-F goes againts the Lexus portfolio.
Imo, the F series cars should have a racing heritage before being put to market ala the M cars, AMG cars, V series cars, RS cars, R cars before it. Unproven enthusiast machines will be a tough sell. Forget magazines & going goo goo ga ga over photos.. Folks who buy this caliber of car want racetrack proven results.. Enter more F cars in 24 hour of Lemans, WTC, & others to get the buzz amoung the buying enthusiasts..

Quick Reply: LF-A & GS-F Delayed ???