LFA Model (2012)

Lexus wants $100,000-plus flagship supercar; version of LF-A concept likely to come!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 01:00 PM
LexFather

Default Lexus wants $100,000-plus flagship supercar; version of LF-A concept likely to come!

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101619

Is the Lexus LF-A on the way? Lexus officials are hinting at a production version of the Detriot show concept.
Lexus wants $100,000-plus flagship supercar; version of LF-A concept likely to be built
MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 1/19/05

LEXUS LF-A CONCEPT PHOTOS

Seeking to enter the rarified world of super high performance, Lexus Division unveiled the LF-A concept at the Detroit auto show.

Executives say the concept is still in the consideration phase, but such statements are made with a wink. When pressed, Toyota sources said the sports car likely would appear in about three years, when Lexus’ upcoming product barrage hits a lull.

“The Lexus brand has reached a point where we can step up a bit, but we need to keep in mind what got us here,” said Denny Clements, Lexus Division general manager.

Toyota also wants to promote its entry into Formula 1 racing. But this car would be too expensive to carry a Toyota badge, executives said.

Jim Press, COO of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc., compares the LF-A’s performance to that of a Porsche 911 Turbo, Ferrari F430 and Aston Martin DB9.

Lexus engineers said the engine would either be a V8 or V10, depending on potential rule changes made by the Formula 1 bosses. Press said the engine will have more than 500 hp from an engine displacing less than five liters.

Test cars have reached top speeds of around 200 mph at Toyota’s Arizona proving ground.

The LF-A rides on a wheelbase of 103 inches, and is 173 inches long.

If produced, the vehicle would cost more than $100,000.

A Toyota source says the car will not have a hybrid powertrain.
Old 01-19-05, 01:39 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Production in three years... Hmmm time to save!
Old 01-19-05, 02:28 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus engineers said the engine would either be a V8 or V10, depending on potential rule changes made by the Formula 1 bosses. Press said the engine will have more than 500 hp from an engine displacing less than five liters.
Not releasing even the number of cylinders in the LF-A's engine really kills me.

I really hope they can forget about whatever rule changes are to be made in F1 races. They're talking about a street car, not a F1 race car. Those rules won't apply. Build the future F1 cars however they want, but keep the perfectly well-performing V10 they have today and use it already!!

I don't care if the new V8 kicks *** or not. Just having a V10 or V12 in the production lineup will give the nameplate that much more performance credential that simply no V8 can.
Old 01-19-05, 02:41 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant wait to see one of those on the streets if it come available
Old 01-19-05, 03:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

It's good to hear, but they really must rework that front end. As it is now, it doesn't look nearly as appealing as the NSX or it's new concept.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-19-05 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-19-05, 04:05 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

i dont think there is a new NSX concept... is there? honda is in all likelihood cutting both the NSX and the S2000... honda stated that they abandoned the HSC concept/next gen NSX idea....
Old 01-19-05, 04:09 PM
LexFather

Yes, Honda has sadly scrapped all coupes pretty much. No NSX replacement is coming. I do agree the front is generic but the rest is different to anything else on the road. And having a V-10 adds the kicker Even with a high power V-9, this=drool......

I am sure this high power V-8/V-10 will make its way into sedan as well.
Old 01-19-05, 04:11 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am sure this high power V-8/V-10 will make its way into sedan as well.
LS500GT maybe...? We can hope!

James
Old 01-19-05, 04:19 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ARISTO*7
cant wait to see one of those on the streets if it come available
At a 100 grand a pop, you may not see too many on the street. Now if we could only convince lexus to put that engine in a GS and keep the price below 60M
Old 01-19-05, 04:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Considering the price of a fully loaded LS or GX, this ain't bad.
Old 01-19-05, 05:32 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Mankind is not worthy. :kowtow:
Old 01-19-05, 08:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very interesting, i wonder what the final product would look like, and how it's going to compete with teh other super cars. i think lexus has the authority to do it, unlike acura with the nsx. good stuff
Old 01-19-05, 09:04 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

thats funny how that car that was Spied a few months back as the replacement Toyota (i think its in SCC) now has become the new super car for Lexus. It was kind of obvious that it would have to be. Not even these guys that are shelling out $100k plus for the current MKIV in the car and mods, would buy a $100,000 base price Toyota. just my .02. Id like to see this thing become a reality.

Old 01-19-05, 09:18 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dynasty SC
i dont think there is a new NSX concept... is there? honda is in all likelihood cutting both the NSX and the S2000... honda stated that they abandoned the HSC concept/next gen NSX idea....
Honda has also said the HSC was never the NSX replacement only it was one of many possibilities. Honda's President recently stated they are rethinking current plans on the next NSX and will be approaching the project with more caution. What does that mean? It could mean that they may not build another NSX depending on how they feel it will do financially, or it could mean they want to make sure they release the right car for the right market at the right time, or who knows what he means.
Old 01-19-05, 09:28 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder if the world is finially ready to accept a Japanese Exotic. The NSX competed and bested most of the exotics during its early years, yet people were not ready to accept a Supercar'/Exotic made by Honda. If Toyota builds one of these it will no doubt perform, but will people buy it at $100-$120K when they can buy a Ferrari for a little more? I'm thinking real sales numbers of the Ford GT500 will be an indicator in the next couple of years. If this car sells really well then maybe people in the market will be ready to drop over $100K for something other than an Itallian Exotic. If not, Ferrari and Lamborghini will still get the buyers.

IMHO, I hope Toyota does build an Exotic and also that it forces Honda to build a replacement NSX. It is about time Japan shows the world they can build a better Supercar than the Itallians. nfortunately, Toyota will face the same critizism that Honda faced with the NSX in that it has no soul, too refined and so forth that all the Ferrari and Lombo owners keep shoving down our throats.

Quick Reply: Lexus wants $100,000-plus flagship supercar; version of LF-A concept likely to come!