Lexus Vehicles Classifieds Lexus Vehicles for sale by members, no dealers or vendor posts allowed. Only active members with >100 posts may post non-Lexus vehicles.

NC SC 400 Stock, $3600. 137K Excellent Condition

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 02:34 PM
Idrive70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 400 Stock, $3600. 137K Excellent Condition

This is my favorite car ever. Reluctantly, I am choosing to sell it.
The car is stock except for the K & N air filter; full metal radiator.
Please feel free to ask questions.
137k, $3600 Please see note regarding price below in blue text..
Price will now be $3600.

SOLD SOLD SOLD

This is a heck of a deal on a very clean SC 400.
Car is in North Carolina. Charlotte.

LINK to pictures. Click on one picture to get the big view and create a slide show. I have more pictures, but these should provide plenty of details.

NEW LINK

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hdzxgqcq4...5cW0Tjgia?dl=0

This has been driven regularly for for several years and there’s a fairly complete list of maintenance records and repairs, many DIY, but the most critical ones were done professionally.

• Lexus SC 400
  • Birthday: June, 1993
  • 137,000 original miles including about 10,000 highway miles this past year.
  • White exterior--Pearl White
  • Tan leather interior
  • Gold package—this is the gold emblems. I do not have the gold rims as the rims were upgraded years ago
  • Nakamichi sound system
  • Automatic Transmission
  • Traction control
  • Probably some other goodies I’m forgetting
  • MPG averages 20 city and 24 highway
  • Completely stock except for K & N air filter and full metal radiator.

Regular oil changes every 3500 to 4000 miles. I used mobile 1 5w 30 every oil change until about a year ago when I switched to Royal Purple 5w 30. Royal Purple in the rear differential, too.

Noteworthy maintenance and repairs. In all instances I sought excellent parts quality and ordered from Rock Auto.
• Royal Purple in rear differential
• Full metal radiator
• Power steering pump replaced
• Throttle body removed and fully cleaned—serious labor and worth it
• Both valve cover gaskets replaced, including ring seals
• Front and rear brake pads replaced with top of the line Wagner
• Alternator professionally rebuilt [I didn’t purchase a rebuilt one, I had it rebuilt by a local shop that’s known for its quality].
• New battery 4 years ago, and again 1 year ago. New tires about 12,000 miles ago.
• Full timing belt and water pump change including tensioners—professionally installed about 15,000 miles ago.
• All the major fluid changes, flushes, etc. Although I didn’t flush the brake fluid
• 2 transmission drain and fills; filter changes
• 2 tune-ups including change of Denso plugs, wires and caps.
• 2 fuel filter changes; last one 5,000 miles ago
• Both ignition coils were replaced. Only the driver side was faltering, but it’s wise to replace both of them.
• ECU--all capacitors changed professionally, MAF replaced and All 4 oxygen sensors replaced.
• Hood lifts replaced; trunk lifts replaced
The timing belt, tensioners, water pump, etc. were all changed (and professionally installed) approximately 16 months ago; about 10,000 miles ago. This was professionally installed. They changed the thermostat and thermostat housing, too.

I had a weird intermittent problem with the engine revving up/down/up/down from about 700 rpm to 1500 rpm. Seeking to solve this issue led to changing several parts including the MAF, Air Idle Control Valve, second full tune-up, PCV valve, ALL four main oxygen sensors and finally the ECU rebuild. Apparently, the capacitors on the ECU can go bad on these cars after about 10 or 15 years. [Check the forum, there are several threads on this issue]. I had the ECU rebuilt professionally with ALL new capacitors throughout the ECU. This solved the revving problem—finally! I’d urge anyone with an SC 400 to replace all the capacitors on the, ECU as it can cause a multiplicity of odd issues that will leave you chasing rabbit holes. Fix the ECU and then see if your 400 has any remaining issues

I have a more detailed list of maintenance and repairs in a spreadsheet which I can email anyone interested in purchasing the car.

CONDITION
Overall, this SC 400 is in excellent condition, especially for its age. I’d say most of the interior looks great. Most of the leather looks very clean and supple, but a few spots show some age and wear. I’ve treated the leather regularly the last few years. The carpet is almost like new. There’s one MINOR interior door crack about 1 inch tall (very common on these cars). Even the floor mats are in good shape. Honestly, aside from the really pricey cream puffs, the interior of this car is right up there with the best. Recently, I had someone see the car and he commented that "You rarely see them in this great condition."

Exterior Condition. The original paint looks great. There is no visible rust anywhere. The car was garaged by previous owner and by me. I wash and wax it regularly. However, recently the car was dinged while parked. This is on the driver side rear quarter panel. It only affects the back of the rear quarter panel even though there’s some surface paint that peeled on the bumper. This has been inspected professionally. The bumper is absolutely fine. The headlights are fine. There's absolutely no frame damage and there’s no mechanical damage related to this minor incident. Plan on driving this “as is” or repairing as you see fit. There is an excellent auto body guy who specializes in restoring classic cars. He quoted me $600 to repair the ding including blending the bumper paint. PLEASE NOTE: It seems the minor auto body damage concerns a few people. I am now going to offer the car "as is" and reduce the price to $3600. Or, I will have it repaired professionally and then raise the price to $4200. Given the overall great condition of this car, I think this is a great value.

Mechanical Condition. Again, I used great quality parts, like Denso when doing any repairs. I don’t believe in using cheap parts—why do the job twice? In most regards, the car drives flawlessly, revs strong and feels solid on the road. The backlight for the temperature controls is dim—a notorious issue with these cars, but easy enough to repair, if you wish. There is a MINOR and slow oil leak that has existed for at least 3 or 4 years. How minor? I placed a shallow plastic container under the car. In 3 months time it accumulated about 2 teaspoons of oil. [I even have a picture of this]. Frankly, the oil leak is barely worth mentioning, but I am aiming to provide full details and avoid surprises. VERY recently, I had an independent ASE certified Toyota mechanic look at it. He told me point blank that it is a very slow leak and not worth addressing. He actually looked it over carefully, pulled the spark plug covers and said it is definitely not the cam seals. He said he wouldn't even mess with it if it were his own car. Also, I figured while I was there I'd have him test drive the car. He gave it a solid thumbs up and added, "This car is in great shape." He even commented that you rarely see these in such condition; usually the interiors are "worn out and the leather is falling apart." You may contact him directly if you wish.

Tires are Continental Extreme Contact with only about 12,000 miles on them. There are more exotic tires for the SC 400, but these are very good.

I don’t really wish to sell this car, but due to some family changes, I will likely not be driving it if I keep it. And, I know if it just sits around for the next couple of years that won’t be good for the car. And, I don’t have a 3 car garage to just store it.

Price? I’ve seen much worse ones sell for over $2500 and then you have to repaint the whole car, replace the leather seats, etc. And, I’ve seen ones tricked out and driven hard, so you’re left to wonder what’s left or what modifications were done incorrectly that will cause other issues. And, I’ve seen the near perfect SC 400s sell for over $10,000. So, I think $3600 is a great value.

This car is STOCK!. This car was driven conservatively. I love the look and ride, but I don’t burn out or drive 100 mph. I’m seeking $3600. These cars can go 400,000 miles. If you’ve been seeking a great SC 400 without spending a fortune, this is a good value.

More pix at link at top of this post.

In response to a question re: timing belt.

The timing belt, tensioners, water pump, etc. were all changed (and professionally installed) approximately 16 months ago; about 10,000 miles ago.
This was professionally installed. I changed the thermostat, too.

Last edited by Idrive70; 01-30-16 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 10-24-15, 05:02 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^No worries, I'll delete the other thread. Also, please add some pictures of your SC. Thanks.

steve

Last edited by lilSCsteve; 10-24-15 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Asked seller to update w/ pics
Old 10-25-15, 08:13 AM
jonboy0517
Pole Position

I am interested please post pictures!
Old 10-25-15, 10:08 AM
Idrive70
Driver School Candidate

Pix added. Link in original post. Thank you.
Old 11-07-15, 08:40 AM
Idrive70
Driver School Candidate

I had an interesting message about this car. Thought to share it.

I just wanted to tell you how impressed I am with your car. And very disappointed. I wanted an SC 400 very badly 2 years ago and could not find one worthy of the investment. Yours is EXACTLY what I was looking for. There were many SC300’s and even those were pretty much worn out or modded out beyond recognition. Frankly, I got tired of looking and bought a 350Z instead.
Your price is very fair and I wish I could buy it now. I hope you can find a person that will appreciate what he has - - as you did.
Good Luck!!!
Old 11-09-15, 01:13 PM
N1T3MARE
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you located in NC?
Old 11-10-15, 09:02 AM
Idrive70
Driver School Candidate

The car is in Charlotte.
Thank you.
Old 11-24-15, 10:14 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Ive not logged into this site in almost a year and Ive got to say, Im half tempted to sell my Wifes Camry tomorrow to come get this car LoL

I have subscribed to this thread so if anything updates, or if somehow, some reason, you still have this car come January, I will be making a trip to Charlotte to get this car. Yes, Im serious about that. Have to wait on tax season so that is my only delay.

Amazing car.

BTW
im about 4 hours NW of you just outside of Bristol VA / TN
Old 11-28-15, 07:19 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Interested

I am interested in your car. When was the timing belt and water pump last changed?

thanks

Rich

Originally Posted by Idrive70
This is my favorite car ever. Reluctantly, I am choosing to sell it.
The car is stock except for the K & N air filter; full metal radiator.
Please feel free to ask questions.
137k, $3975.
This is a heck of a deal on a very clean SC 400.
Car is in North Carolina. Charlotte.

LINK to pictures. Click on one picture to get the big view and create a slide show. I have more pictures, but these should provide plenty of details.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hdzxgqcq4...5cW0Tjgia?dl=0

This has been driven regularly for for several years and there’s a fairly complete list of maintenance records and repairs, many DIY, but the most critical ones
were done professionally.

• Lexus SC 400
  • Birthday: June, 1993
  • 137,000 original miles including about 10,000 highway miles this past year.
  • White exterior--Pearl White
  • Tan leather interior
  • Gold package—this is the gold emblems. I do not have the gold rims as the rims were upgraded years ago
  • Nakamichi sound system
  • Automatic Transmission
  • Traction control
  • Probably some other goodies I’m forgetting
  • MPG averages 20 city and 24 highway
  • Completely stock except for K & N air filter and full metal radiator.

Regular oil changes every 3500 to 4000 miles. I used mobile 1 5w 30 every oil change until about a year ago when I switched to Royal Purple 5w 30. Royal Purple in the rear differential, too.

Noteworthy maintenance and repairs. In all instances I sought excellent parts quality and ordered from Rock Auto.
• Royal Purple in rear differential
• Full metal radiator
• Power steering pump replaced
• Throttle body removed and fully cleaned—serious labor and worth it
• Both valve cover gaskets replaced, including ring seals
• Front and rear brake pads replaced with top of the line Wagner
• Alternator professionally rebuilt [I didn’t purchase a rebuilt one, I had it rebuilt by a local shop that’s known for its quality].
• New battery 4 years ago, and again 1 year ago. New tires about 12,000 miles ago.
• Full timing belt and water pump change including tensioners—professionally installed about 15,000 miles ago.
• All the major fluid changes, flushes, etc. Although I didn’t flush the brake fluid
• 2 transmission drain and fills; filter changes
• 2 tune-ups including change of Denso plugs, wires and caps.
• 2 fuel filter changes; last one 5,000 miles ago
• Both ignition coils were replaced. Only the driver side was faltering, but it’s wise to replace both of them.
• ECU--all capacitors changed professionally, MAF replaced and All 4 oxygen sensors replaced.
• Hood lifts replaced; trunk lifts replaced

I had a weird intermittent problem with the engine revving up/down/up/down from about 700 rpm to 1500 rpm. Seeking to solve this issue led to changing several parts including the MAF, Air Idle Control Valve, second full tune-up, PCV valve, ALL four main oxygen sensors and finally the ECU rebuild. Apparently, the capacitors on the ECU can go bad on these cars after about 10 or 15 years. [Check the forum, there are several threads on this issue]. I had the ECU rebuilt professionally with ALL new capacitors throughout the ECU. This solved the revving problem—finally! I’d urge anyone with an SC 400 to replace all the capacitors on the, ECU as it can cause a multiplicity of odd issues that will leave you chasing rabbit holes. Fix the ECU and then see if your 400 has any remaining issues

I have a more detailed list of maintenance and repairs in a spreadsheet which I can email anyone interested in purchasing the car.

CONDITION
Overall, this SC 400 is in excellent condition, especially for its age. I’d say most of the interior looks great. Most of the leather looks very clean and supple, but a few spots show some age and wear. I’ve treated the leather regularly the last few years. The carpet is almost like new. There’s one MINOR interior door crack about 1 inch tall (very common on these cars). Even the floor mats are in good shape. Honestly, aside from the really pricey cream puffs, the interior of this car is right up there with the best. Recently, I had someone see the car and he commented that "You rarely see them in this great condition."

Exterior Condition. The original paint looks great. There is no visible rust anywhere. The car was garaged by previous owner and by me. I wash and wax it regularly. However, recently the car was dinged while parked. This is on the driver side rear quarter panel. It only affects the back of the rear quarter panel even though there’s some surface paint that peeled on the bumper. The bumper is absolutely fine. The headlights are fine and there’s no mechanical damage related to this minor incident. Plan on driving this “as is” or repairing as you see fit.

Mechanical Condition. Again, I used great quality parts, like Denso when doing any repairs. I don’t believe in using cheap parts—why do the job twice? In most regards, the car drives flawlessly, revs strong and feels solid on the road. The backlight for the temperature controls is dim—a notorious issue with these cars, but easy enough to repair, if you wish. There is a MINOR and slow oil leak that has existed for at least 3 or 4 years. VERY recently, I had an independent ASE certified Toyota mechanic look at it. He told me point blank that it is a very slow leak and not worth addressing. He actually looked it over carefully, pulled the spark plug covers and said it is definitely not the cam seals. He said he wouldn't even mess with it if it were his own car. Also, I figured while I was there I'd have him test drive the car. He gave it a solid thumbs up and added, "This car is in great shape." He even commented that you rarely see these in such condition; usually the interiors are "worn out and the leather is falling apart." You may contact him directly if you wish.

Tires are Continental Extreme Contact with only about 12,000 miles on them. There are more exotic tires for the SC 400, but these are very good.

I don’t really wish to sell this car, but due to some family changes, I will likely not be driving it if I keep it. And, I know if it just sits around for the next couple of years that won’t be good for the car. And, I don’t have a 3 car garage to just store it.

Price? I’ve seen much worse ones sell for over $2500 and then you have to repaint the whole car, replace the leather seats, etc. And, I’ve seen ones tricked out and driven hard, so you’re left to wonder what’s left or what modifications were done incorrectly that will cause other issues. And, I’ve seen the near perfect SC 400s sell for over $10,000. So, I think $3900 is a good value.

This car is STOCK!. This car was driven conservatively. I love the look and ride, but I don’t burn out or drive 100 mph. I’m seeking $3950. These cars can go 400,000 miles. If you’ve been seeking a great SC 400 without spending a fortune, this is a good value.

More pix at link at top of this post.
Old 12-06-15, 08:06 AM
Idrive70
Driver School Candidate

Pix added.
Old 12-22-15, 07:09 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Is this car still for sale? If so, I am very interested. Please let me know.

Thanks

Rich
Old 12-24-15, 05:32 PM
Idrive70
Driver School Candidate

Yes,
I have someone coming to look at next Monday, but it's still available.
Thanks.
Old 01-06-16, 01:49 PM
Idrive70
Driver School Candidate

Updated images.

Last edited by Idrive70; 01-08-16 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-06-16, 08:39 PM
Matt L
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

can you post more pics of that rear quarter panel damage and rear bumper damage? Bodywork gets to be very expensive these days. Thanks.
Old 01-08-16, 06:10 PM
Idrive70
Driver School Candidate

Updated price, updated link, many more pictures added. A virtual 360 inside and out.

If you've been looking for a clean SC 400, here's your chance. First $3600 gets it.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: NC SC 400 Stock, $3600. 137K Excellent Condition