Lexus Vehicles Classifieds Lexus Vehicles for sale by members, no dealers or vendor posts allowed. Only active members with >100 posts may post non-Lexus vehicles.

IN '95 SC300 - 5-spd - 154k - $3400

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 02:41 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 SC300 - 5-spd - 154k - $3400

Hi guys,

I'm interested in getting rid of my SC300 and picking up an old AW11 MR2. My bank currently holds the title. She's been a great car for the last 7 years, but I just came to an awful realization that I probably won't get a chance to own an MR2 after my wife and I have kids in a few years. Consider this my quarter life crisis.

Mileage: 154k
Exterior: Black
Interior: Tan
Transmission: Manual
Mods: Daizen sway bars, short shifter (makes it feel less like a truck transmission), roof spoiler (+50hp).

What's awesome about this car:
-Runs great
-Comes with the Factory Service Manuals (Vols 1 & 2)
-Comes with a set of snow tires with only 1 winter on them
-Oil always changed with 10W-30 Mobil 1 and an OEM oil filter
-I regularly get ~25mpg in it. That said, I do drive like an old woman. But if you're nice to it you too can manage decent mileage.
-Just got an alignment on 8/31. Back tires were way out of whack; but now they're back in line.

What's not so awesome:
-It's a 17 year old car.
-Seriously, it's a 17 year old car. Some things aren't going to work like it's brand new.
-It has the gamut of standard SC problems.
-Trunk struts don't hold the trunk open
-Tach needle is burnt out
-Interior leather has some tears in standard spots; also one in the driver's seat.
-A/C needs a recharge.
-Hood has some serious paint chips; has had them as long as I've owned it.
-Has a few small spots of surface rust (in front of the PR tire [first picture], and behind the DR [fourth picture])
-Paint overall could use some love. Doesn't look too bad cleaned up; but it needs some TLC to be great
-The back tires are in sorry shape; fronts still have ~90% tread on them (alignment on the back was quite bad)
-Driver door actuator is broken from the outside. I made a newb mistake and lost the actuator rod. Currently looking into getting a replacement actuator.
-Paint on the roof spoiler is pretty awful. You can always just pop it off of there.

If you just want to fix it up and DD it; it would be good for that. If you want to drop a 1J or something in it; it'd be good for that too. If you want to come see it, let me know. I'm free most evenings; though the next few weekends are hectic for me. I prefer text/email or face-to-face communication; I have a distinct hatred for talking on the phone. But I'm willing to overlook this hatred to sell my car. If you want my number or my address give me a PM or just reply here. I am in Newburgh, IN; just outside Evansville.

Email: dewenning@gmail.com
Phone: PM me and I'll tell you
Address: PM me and I'll tell you

Where is Evansville? It's about 2 hours west of Louisville, about 2 1/2 hours east of St. Louis, about 2 1/2 hours north of Nashville.

If you want me to meet you somewhere reasonably distanced away; I'd be happy to.

On to the pictures.

'95 SC300 - 5-spd - 154k - 00-geznnh.jpg

'95 SC300 - 5-spd - 154k - 00-obbuth.jpg

'95 SC300 - 5-spd - 154k - 00-shpj3h.jpg

'95 SC300 - 5-spd - 154k - 00-bb9ryh.jpg

'95 SC300 - 5-spd - 154k - 00-ewdonh.jpg

'95 SC300 - 5-spd - 154k - 00-2xsm0h.jpg

'95 SC300 - 5-spd - 154k - 00-bych0h.jpg

I will be very sad to see this car go; but I really want to pick up something completely freaking impractical before it's too late.

-Dan
Old 09-02-12, 06:08 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan,

Something to consider is to take pictures of the troubled areas, and post up a video of the car running and revving.. GL on your sale and future with the wife and family.
Old 09-02-12, 07:27 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Dan,

Something to consider is to take pictures of the troubled areas, and post up a video of the car running and revving.. GL on your sale and future with the wife and family.
Can do. Thanks for the suggestion! I should be able to get that accomplished tomorrow evening.
Old 09-03-12, 09:25 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

I got a chance to take some pictures, so I just uploaded all of them to imgur. Link: http://imgur.com/a/KRdp3

Some things of note that I left out of the original post:

About a year ago the radiator popped on me. I got one from an auto from a board member and installed it. When the radiator died on me; the car got hot; but I shut it down before it pegged. I noticed the steam coming out from the hood and had an "Oh ****!" moment. That was as hot as it got. I have seen no side effects from that; and I would figure if anything bad happened; it should have shown itself at least a little within a short amount of time.

I did a standard tune-up some time ago. Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor; but I did not do the timing belt/water pump. It was something I wanted to get accomplished this fall now that I have a good place to work on my car again (I was in an apartment for around a year and just got a house); and this was before I realized how precious little time I have to get an MR2. I have done all work to this car myself or with a friend, so I have no paperwork to show for it.

I had a PM asking if it drips any oil, or uses some between changes: It does seem to burn just a little between changes. Nothing to get excited about though. I assume valve stem seals just based on the amount. It has done this for as long as I've owned it; and I haven't noticed any increase in consumption. I have never noticed any smoke, and there are no spots from where the car sits.

Door actuator: I had planned on doing this before selling the car. It would be very much easier for me just to not do it and deduct the part cost from the price. I'll leave this to the buyer.

Some things I forgot from being out of town over the weekend and away from the car.
-ABS light is on. I assume I did not re-install the front-left brake sensor perfectly the last time I was poking around in that area. I'll see what I can figure out this week with it.
-I replaced the battery in late April. I had to leave the car at the airport for a full week while I was out on work and it straight up murdered the battery. I've noticed the "Security" light is on consistently when I lock the car now (whereas previously it flashed now and then like a normal security light); which I rarely do since I have a garage now. I imagine it's something simple; but I'm not sure what to check.
-The rubbery black thing that surrounds the windshield has seen better days. I'm not sure what to call that or where to get one. There is no leaking. It appears to be a cosmetic problem only. This is the weird shot of the windshield in the pictures.

I understand some of these could mean headaches for a new owner, so do keep in mind the price is negotiable.
Old 09-04-12, 02:10 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danimal
Can do. Thanks for the suggestion! I should be able to get that accomplished tomorrow evening.
Any chance of getting a video of it running and condition?
Old 09-19-12, 12:12 AM
Medic91x
Driver School Candidate

Is this car sold yet?

I sent a p.m and email awhile ago, but haven't heard anything back.
Old 09-19-12, 03:51 PM
clutch187
Driver School Candidate

the car is mine now. i bought it about 2 weeks ago.