Lexus Vehicles Classifieds Lexus Vehicles for sale by members, no dealers or vendor posts allowed. Only active members with >100 posts may post non-Lexus vehicles.

FS, CA '92 SC300 cleanly modded...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 10:26 PM
bmwq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS, CA '92 SC300 cleanly modded...

'92 SC300, RJP, 224K miles, Auto, Central CA, lightly modded

Hi all.
I've been a member here for some time, but rarely post. I bought my car from a reputable CL member about a year ago but now find that I don't have enough room for her in the garage and need to let her go. I found one of my dream cars for sale recently and couldn't say no. I've been parking the SC300 on the street for a month now and it's killing me. I haven't even driven her in that time... I washed her and changed the oil today, but it's just not right to leave a car this nice out in the elements. So here she is. Here is the original link to Mike's post putting the car up for sale:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284805

Scroll down for pics, read for details:
I'm an experienced BMW tech and have put quite a bit of attention and time into this car. Mike took care of the asthetics, and I took care of the issues any 200K mile car is going to have. This was my commuter car (way better on gas than the Avalanche) and as such, it performed flawlessly. It gets looks everywhere it goes and not a single person has ever even come close to guessing its age. It's quite simply a stunning SC in person. I had wanted to go with a C/O setup on it for some time, but after riding in a customers Tein equipped SC (I don't know what version), I thank God I didn't. This car rides smoothly, tracks perfectly straight and handles very well, not just for a car of its age, but for any car of this type. Mike installed LS400 brakes and they work perfectly (and look great). You can read Mike's thread about the bushings/wheels/body upgrades, etc... (none of which have been changed), but here are the things I've personally done since I got her:

-new front main seal (timing belt looks perfect, changed by Mike)
-new silverstars
-new AC evaporator
-new distributor o-ring
-new plugs/rotor/cap
-rebuilt the PS pump
-new bosch battery and hold-down assembly
-new alternator (maintenance, oil from distributor had soaked it)
-new starter (maintenance, did not fail)
-new vacuum modulator
-completely cleaned and tested EGR system (all the way through the intake)
-nearly all vacuum lines replaced
-new OEM center vent assembly
-new OEM under car panels
-two alignments
-wheels/tires balanced every 5K

(by Mike)
-motor and trans mounts within 12K miles

I'll bet there's more, but I'll have to add it when I think of it. The bottom line is that this car runs and drives beautifully. And looks fantastic doing it! There are zero fluid leaks. You can easily forget the car is running when you're sitting at a light. It's super smooth and quiet, as it should be.

It's certainly not perfect, but I've done my best to capture the nicks and scratches/wear and tear she's picked up over the years. Some stuff just won't show, but I tried to do so anyways. I have a TON of pics, so post up if you want something specific. These pics are current (4-12-08) after a wash and 40 mile drive. It may be stating the obvious on a 200K+ mile car, but there are a few known issues I haven't got around to fixing (all are minor), like: FM radio reception cuts in and out randomly. I've decided that it's not a connection issue. I'm almost certain it's inside the head unit as on several occaisions I've tapped on it and reception has come back. CD changer function is normal, antenna works, etc...Just the radio and not all the time (I use the changer almost exclusively anyways). The AC panel is blacking out (like they all do), but functions fine. There is an eraser sized hole in the sunshade panel for the sunroof (it's at the rear and I had the car 2 months before I noticed it). The power mirrors work...sometimes. The fuse hasn't blown and the switch unit is working normally. I suspect the mirror control unit is going south. The airbag light is on. I never looked into it. I seem to recall Mike saying the stored fault could be cleared, but I never pursued it. AND...the tail lights blink rapidly. If you're an SC enthusiast who's updated the tail light assemblies...you know why. There are several 'fixes' for this, but it's never bothered me enough to do something about it. They just flash faster than normal. Interior lighting is pretty sweet as it's all LED. Lextech cluster, etc...
It's a fantastic car, with a ridiculous aftermarket/used parts network available, and this particular SC just.. looks... sick. I figure for the price, you could get a beat up civic or accord, or a gorgeous and nicely maintained SC300. I've got her on the street with a 'for sale' sign. I hope whoever buys her will continue the tradition...

I'm in Central Cal and will not deliver. I drove to So Cal to buy her and wasn't disappointed and I'm sure anyone who makes the drive here won't be either. For me, it's been a pretty cheap ride to maintain (I've done all the work myself). I'm asking the same price as Mike asked when he sold it here,

$6K FIRM
cash only.

Locally, it's for sale at $7K obo.

I won't take less than $6K for it, which I felt was a fair deal when I bought her and feel it's just as fair now, period. I don't need to sell it and am in no hurry whatsoever. That said, I won't 'hold' the car or entertain tire kickers. I will not deliver the car. It'll get you home just fine, thank you
I have a ton of detail oriented pics for those that want to see something specific, just ask and I'll try to snap them and throw them up when I can. But here are some basic ones (taken today)...

Although I don't post here often, I have at Bimmerforums, SRTforums (all under bmwq, if anyone would like to look). I only have Mike, 'Mikeloc24' to vouch for me (the original owner). If you have questions about the car that I can't answer, Mike has been pretty helpful to me in the past (and as a member on CL). I've e-mailed him to post in this thread, but he may not get it until Monday...if it matters.
Thanks for looking,
Q
Old 04-13-08, 08:02 AM
06350F
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thast a clean car ! !
Old 04-13-08, 11:26 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll vouch for you man...Mike kept this SC clean when he had it. It seems that you've also kept this tradition going. If I had the cash, I'd scoop this car up as a collectors item.

Bump for a clean example!
Old 04-13-08, 04:20 PM
bmwq
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man! It's picked up a few nicks since I bought it from Mike, but I tried my hand at color-sanding her and I think it paid off.
Old 04-13-08, 04:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Clean car!

Last edited by GSteg; 04-13-08 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-14-08, 10:35 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmwq
Thanks man! It's picked up a few nicks since I bought it from Mike, but I tried my hand at color-sanding her and I think it paid off.
I was gonna say, "it looks like you've taken her on the freeway a few times" HAHA! But it's all good...cars are for driving!

Man, it's good to see my old ride...still a beauty...and looks like you've taken excellent care of her. Whoever gets this will be VERY happy, hopefully the car stays in CL.

Vouch vouch!

Last edited by mikeloc24; 04-15-08 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-16-08, 12:32 PM
koji187
Rookie

awesome car! great deal for 6k imo.. surprised it isn't gone already..
Old 04-19-08, 12:09 AM
DaTruth
Driver School Candidate

Nice ride!!
Old 04-21-08, 09:04 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Was the whole car repainted at the time of the 97+ upgrade or just those panels?
Old 04-21-08, 10:21 PM
bmwq
Driver School Candidate

I think there are/were several different stages of repaint on the car at different times. I could be wrong, but it looks like the update pieces were painted at the same time. The color match was pretty good, but not perfect as can be seen in the pics, though nobody has made any comments about it when seen in person.
Appreciate the compliments...all credit to Mike for the visual appeal of the car.
Q
Old 06-12-08, 04:08 PM
bmwq
Driver School Candidate

Default Sold

It sold today. I just want to say thanks for this site. I didn't post here much but I read and learned quite a bit. CL is just an awesome community and forum.