Lexus Vehicles Classifieds Lexus Vehicles for sale by members, no dealers or vendor posts allowed. Only active members with >100 posts may post non-Lexus vehicles.

Hate to do it: 1993 Lexus SC300: TH400, AEM, fuel, blk/blk Sleeper 600rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 11:12 PM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate to do it: 1993 Lexus SC300: TH400, AEM, fuel, blk/blk Sleeper 600rwhp

mods, please delete this one. starting a new thread for conciseness.

Last edited by soarer 300; 02-09-07 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-25-06, 05:11 PM
MCL
Rookie

Where at in NC are you. I would be all over this if the job that I'm going for would come through. Unless you want an even trade for a 2001.5 Audi S4.
Old 05-25-06, 07:09 PM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MCL
Where at in NC are you. I would be all over this if the job that I'm going for would come through. Unless you want an even trade for a 2001.5 Audi S4.
I'm in Raleigh, what about you? Good luck on the job. I don't think it will sell anytime soon because I'm going to be out of town for the next 2 weeks and Weldcraft in Michigan has 2 of my wheels anyways...

Man...I love S4's! The S4 Avant is my dream car/wagon next to the E55 wagon! I can't do it though, I'm selling this to get an F-car, Viper, or G-Wagen. I haven't decided yet. Gotta be practical.
Old 05-26-06, 10:05 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by soarer 300
It has a 3mm HG. BL turbo kit with a 67mm turbo. AEM EMS, HKS DLI, hidden Gauge-tech.com display of 15 engine parameters, Innovative WB02 custom hidden inside the ashtray, HKS BOV, HKS Gate, BLTH400 transmission, transbrake, custom spec converter (I will tell the buyer the stall),
I'm really curious as to why the stall rpm has to be a secret especially since it can vary ~500 rpm from what the "specs" are? You would figure with a 67mm, that you should be in the 3500+ range to make sure you had enough torque before the turbo kicked in. That just seems a really odd thing to keep a secret...

Nice jump off the line in the first video though
Old 05-28-06, 04:25 PM
MCL
Rookie

Originally Posted by soarer 300
I'm in Raleigh, what about you? Good luck on the job. I don't think it will sell anytime soon because I'm going to be out of town for the next 2 weeks and Weldcraft in Michigan has 2 of my wheels anyways...

Man...I love S4's! The S4 Avant is my dream car/wagon next to the E55 wagon! I can't do it though, I'm selling this to get an F-car, Viper, or G-Wagen. I haven't decided yet. Gotta be practical.
I'm in Hickory. Yeah the S4 is a nice car, but I grow old of cars after a little while and I'm ready to move on. I'll keep an eye on your thread in case a chance for me comes up to be able to get it. It's a nice built car, so I sure you won't have any troubles selling it.
Old 05-29-06, 08:52 AM
ArmyJoe
Pole Position

Right on. I am on Pass from IQ and messing around and stumbled upon this. I have to say it kicked ***, the video was fun to watch. WFT with the race agains the supra? Funny other video. Nice other cars in mind also. And... S4. Nice gig. I used to be into that whole mess of things. I have had the pleasure of riding in a stock 911tt and a S4 MTM Stage 5, while they raced back and forth. Good fun. Good luck with the sale. Somebody will have plenty of fun in that.
Old 05-29-06, 05:03 PM
yeti
Rookie

Default nice car.....

I have seen this car at Rockingham and will be the first to tell you it is really nice! good luck with the sale.....
Old 05-31-06, 12:13 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stunning !
Props on the custom wheel work to make it pure sleeper goodness !
Old 06-05-06, 10:01 AM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Guys,

Thanks to you all for the kind words.

I just added some Manaray MS-6 18 x 9 and 18 x 10 with 315 drag radials to the car. Wait until I get pics of these (one of the wheels has a crack)!!!
Old 06-05-06, 10:02 AM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Psionic
I'm really curious as to why the stall rpm has to be a secret especially since it can vary ~500 rpm from what the "specs" are? You would figure with a 67mm, that you should be in the 3500+ range to make sure you had enough torque before the turbo kicked in. That just seems a really odd thing to keep a secret...

Nice jump off the line in the first video though

I'll just say this much, the turbo will make full boost on the footbrake....The stall is over 4000 rpms.

-Cory
Old 06-05-06, 10:57 AM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Words fail me...
Old 06-05-06, 08:07 PM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Words fail me...
Good. I hope they fail you off my thread.

The reason I keep things like my stall secret is exclusively for people like you who go to bed worrying about it.
Old 06-06-06, 09:08 AM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Oooo nice

I will help you so that you dont look so uneducated at other places:

A torque converter is a torque multiplier. It multiplies the amount of torque your transmission gets so that your car can actually move more efficiently (normally 2-3x the amount of torque). When you hit the "stall", you are basically at a 1 to 1 ratio... meaning the torque your engine makes is what the transmission gets. The ENTIRE purpose of a higher stall is to make sure your torque doesnt go into a 1:1 ratio before you hit your powerband (in the case of a turbo, you want to hit 1:1 when you hit boost). The advertised stall can vary widely depending on how much torque your engine actually puts out. (Which is why I thought it was odd you thought this should be a secret)

Lets say you have a 4000 rpm stall. On an engine that makes lots of torque, you will hit the 1:1 at ~3500-4000 rpm. On an engine such as the 2jz which has very low torque, you will actually hit the stall at ~2000 rpm. (stock stall is ~1800 rpm)

On your application, actually putting your foot on the brake bypasses all of this and makes you start at the 1:1 ratio anyway... which defeats the purpose of it all. This does little more than test the limits of what your brake system can handle. But it does sound like you have good brakes

Last edited by Psionic; 06-06-06 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-06-06, 12:08 PM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Oooo nice

I will help you so that you dont look so uneducated at other places:
Thanks. I was hoping someone could chime in here and give us some regurgitated information on converters on a discussion board with main premises being cosmetics and stereos. Whew.

A torque converter is a torque multiplier. It multiplies the amount of torque your transmission gets so that your car can actually move more efficiently (normally 2-3x the amount of torque). When you hit the "stall", you are basically at a 1 to 1 ratio... meaning the torque your engine makes is what the transmission gets. The ENTIRE purpose of a higher stall is to make sure your torque doesnt go into a 1:1 ratio before you hit your powerband (in the case of a turbo, you want to hit 1:1 when you hit boost).
Now I know, and knowing's half the battle.

Actually, performance torque converters do not release a 1:1. A clutch on a manual transmission will, but not a TC. Like you said, they are torque MULTIPLIERS. It is more of a 2.5:1 rather than a 1:1 until the speed of the car gets closer to engine speed.

The advertised stall can vary widely depending on how much torque your engine actually puts out. (Which is why I thought it was odd you thought this should be a secret)

Lets say you have a 4000 rpm stall. On an engine that makes lots of torque, you will hit the 1:1 at ~3500-4000 rpm. On an engine such as the 2jz which has very low torque, you will actually hit the stall at ~2000 rpm. (stock stall is ~1800 rpm)

On your application, actually putting your foot on the brake bypasses all of this and makes you start at the 1:1 ratio anyway... which defeats the purpose of it all. This does little more than test the limits of what your brake system can handle. But it does sound like you have good brakes
I think you just talked yourself in a circle. So which is it, can converters be stalled to a certain apex or not? I mean, the Virtual Works car and their puny 3.0L can only "stall" to 2000 rpms on the footbrake, right?

I know my car can't make full boost on the footbrake too. It never could. Thanks for the help.

Long story short, this is an uber loose converter for such a small turbo. It is a custom converter that I had built. You can leave the line at over 4500 rpms on the brake. Since someone is trying to look really smart and got so sad I didn't release the info, there are the specs.
Old 06-06-06, 12:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Guys this is a for sale thread, take the bickering to PM or the thread will be closed so the rest of us can get back to our stereo and costmetics questions .

Quick Reply: Hate to do it: 1993 Lexus SC300: TH400, AEM, fuel, blk/blk Sleeper 600rwhp